Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Stress

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The word used for permission simply means Paul is saying this on his own based on his experience and knowledge. This is in no way from God.

G4774 συγγνώμη suggnome (soong-gno'-may) n.
1. fellow knowledge, i.e. concession
[from a compound of G4862 and G1097]
KJV: permission
Root(s): G4862, G1097

Secondly, the letter is a response/reply for a letter from Corinth as in 1Cor 7:1.

The first line of the the chapter taken into context says,
1Cor 7:1-2 Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband.

Paul is giving a very specific advise as reply based on that original letter to him. Since you quoted I Corinthians 7:6-9 from the same chapter, if I say to you (don't be offended), because of sexual immorality you must marry, doesn't that assume you are sexually immoral and asking you to marry ? Hence, Paul is giving a "specific" advise for a sexually immoral people in that church. Paul also gives clues in those verses as in 1Cor 7:5 ... your lack of self-control, that they are a sexually immoral people without self control.

Some folks have some self control . Some cultures teach self control. Yes
Paul is giving a very specific advise as reply based on that original letter to
him.
exactly so those who will not, do not, have self control it is better to marry. Paul also says
It is] good for a man not to touch a woman.
not every person lack self control.

Jesus's girl,
1Co 7:32 But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:
1Co 7:33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.
1Co 7:34 There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

By serving your husband or Wife needs you are serving God's will. You are taking scripture out of context to fullfill a specific point.

God wants you to get married and bring children into this world.

If you are only in your twenties then don't stress about it, just be open to the possibility of a good man courting you and not reject every man who is interested. But I would advice wait until to an eventual marriage with having sex in order to not be taken advantage off.

I can tell by your posts that you have absolutely no clue about how wonderfull love between a man and woman can be. I will pray that you will experience it.

Okay then, I will not argue when I can't disprove it.

I will concede though, women can live more happy without a man, than a man can without a woman. Men are more dependent on women than the otherway around. From my personal observations this is true, and from studies shows that single women have greater life expectancy than single men. But married individuals have the greatest life expectancy. And I would say that there is a correlation between happiness and life expectancy.

I still hope you will meet a good man that will change your mind ;)

Just a reminder that this is an advice thread. That means that we prefer orthadox Chrisitan advice, and let's not debate amongst ourselves here. Someone has asked for advice, let's give it.

Any advice that is not given in a respectful way will be deleted.

Just a reminder that this is an advice thread. That means that we prefer orthadox Chrisitan advice, and let's not debate amongst ourselves here. Someone has asked for advice, let's give it.

Any advice that is not given in a respectful way will be deleted.

But Nick, this is not a CT&A forum and sometimes we must also stop others misguiding and giving wrong advise to young adults based on twisted interpretations. I am not arguing why my post was deleted but, people sometimes post in other forums to have meaningful discussion. Without this, the OP have the option of choosing a convenient misguided decision which matches what was predecided to justify that it is Biblical, but in reality it is not.

Felix, no offense but you are nuts. Talking like that doesn't help your case either. What about Paul's teachings? What about Jesus saying that some people can be single to help further the kingdom with no distractions? An unmarried woman cares about the Lord and has more time for Him.

Being married and being single are both acceptable in the Lord, with both acceptable ways of serving Him. It all depends on what God's will is and His plans for certain people.

Marriage is a blessing and very sacred in God's eyes but there's nothing wrong with being single.

Plus some people never end up marrying because no one wants them. They are God's children still. You're really offensive.

I am not getting married.

I'm sorry that you're dealing with such stuff from people. You're not following the doctrine of the devil, and I'm glad that you don't believe that. You're not going to die all alone either. There are plenty of women who God never blesses with children who become spiritual mothers.

However, I think you should reconsider your stance on marriage.

Why? Because the reasons you give for not getting married show the issue isn't really marriage at all.

"I don't want to get close to anyone emotionally."

This is why you don't want to get married.

So, the real question is what unresolved pain/heartache do you have in your life that is keeping you from wanting to get emotionally close to anyone.

That's the real issue. Once you allow God to heal your heart, you never know, you might just change your mind. Or, you might still desire to live single. You never know :biggrinunno

Hope that helps. God bless.

Btw: God will never force you to do anything you don't want to do.

But Nick, this is not a CT&A forum and sometimes we must also stop others misguiding and giving wrong advise to young adults based on twisted interpretations. I am not arguing why my post was deleted but, people sometimes post in other forums to have meaningful discussion. Without this, the OP have the option of choosing a convenient misguided decision which matches what was predecided to justify that it is Biblical, but in reality it is not.
I understand, which is why I've let all your other posts stand. I'm not saying no debating at all, but given that the OP has asked for advice, our primary concern should be giving her advice.

Hi Jesus' Girl. I'm sorry that you have had to endure both family and some people on here trying to force you into anything. The Bible is pretty clear that people don't have to get married- Jesus didn't get married; Paul didn't get married; and the Bible says that people have more time for God if they don't have a spouse whose needs they need to take care of. Also, in the end, it's your life. Don't let anyone try to control you when even God himself gave you the free will to be able to make the choice you want. There are other Christian forums out there, and plenty of other Christians to talk to who can give you advice and etc as well.

That said, I don't know what you mean by "don't want to get emotionally close to anyone". If you mean not even having close friendships, then I would say you are mistaken because God created us as individuals to love and be loved by people. Relationship is part of what makes life so good. It's how love is expressed. And you can get emotionally closer to guys, as they are human too and account for 50% of the human population. It's illogical to cut off 50% of the human race from communication, but it does require being a lot more careful because romantic feelings can rise up from some people and cause problems. If you just mean so emotionally close that you get married, then you don't have to do that, though there are advantages to marriage, just like there are advantages to staying single.

I'd say that if you, being honest, can say that you don't really have any close friends, then that might actually be part of the problem and what is causing some of the issues. Perhaps try to go to new places and bump into new people so that you could perhaps find better and closer friends.

And also, you don't have to make a final decision now. Life is one big transition, and we are always changing our minds about something, so don't feel that you have to doom yourself to a path you might regret later, because you have tons of time to make a decision. A guy I know didn't end up getting married til he was around 30, because he was waiting for the right girl. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with staying single either.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. And don't let your family get to you. If necessary, perhaps communicate with them less. If they won't respect you and your decision, then you have a right to distance yourself from them a bit in order to keep your sanity. If you lose your sanity, it isn't going to help anyone in the long run anyway.

I guess "1 Corinthians 7" is a good verse for this topic. If you don't have sexual needs at all, then don't get emotionally close to someone and never get married. But if you do have these needs and cant control yourself and instead commit fornication then the Bible is equally clear
--->Get married

Thanks Igloo. I have a lot of close friends and am involved in groups at church and school. I know a relationship with a man is different though and I just don't want to have one, and no I'm not gay in case anyone's wondering. I have sexual needs Mountainshield and I know they're a blessing from God but I don't want to just marry for sex.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to marry, BUT how do you know how you'll feel down the road? You can't. so I think its important to be at least open to the possibility of meeting someone you might like. To say "I don't want to fall in love with anyone" is a bit selfish don't you think, because people can't help it. What if someone falls in love with you?? :o

Back