Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Style of prayer - Commanding Lord on needs

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I have seen many people/preachers praying with demands. More than demand, it is more like saying "Lord, You have to do it". I always pray by saying "Let Your will be done". I always felt that there is nothing I can command God to do. For example, someone might be diagnosed with a terminal disease. When I pray, of course I pray for a miracle. But I do not know if I should command the Lord to say He has to heal that person. Because Lord makes good out of bad. And we never know why certain things happen in a certain way.

Now there would be certain cases where the Lord might have personally promised something. Even in that case, I don't command Lord. I pray with faithfulness that He will give me what He promised. But I do not know when He will bless me! So I have to wait upon the Lord "patiently".

The only Bible character that fought (literally) with the Lord is Jacob! He wrestled with God to get the blessing. What are your thoughts on people commanding the Lord for blessings or prayer requests? I hope I am conveying my points clearly!!

Through faith and PATIENCE we inherit the promises..........

Patience test trust, test the end of faith.

You got some of it right, no issues, I'll fix the rest for you.

1Jn_5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
1Jn 5:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

couple things here. Praying "If it be thy will" has no scripture bases at all. Why would someone pray, "IF IT BE THY WILL"??? These kind of prayers can get you killed if the situation is serious enough. Always go into prayer knowing the will of God, if you don't, then no confidence, if no confidence then no faith, if no faith then you won't please God. Never pray if it be thy will, it's not scriptural, and it's not going to help with anything. If you want a be thy will prayer for healing in the bible, then follow Jesus other example of it, not the one in the Garden as Jesus was not having a healing meeting in the Garden. Jesus was also not confused about the Will of God. Jesus said............... "you can do all things, If it be thy will remove this cup from me, but nevertheless, Not my will be done, but your will."

Jesus already knows the will of God, already told his disciples he had to go. All he asked was that if there was another way, he was all ears, otherwise, he was going to do what the Father sent him to do. Jesus was not confused on the will of God when he prayed this, He was saying he did not want to go, but would be obedient anyway because he knew the Fathers will.

We should never use this type of prayer in the Garden if we don't know the will of God. We are told, if we pray according to the will of God, it's a done deal.

But I do not know if I should command the Lord to say He has to heal that person. Because Lord makes good out of bad. And we never know why certain things happen in a certain way.

The Lord does not need bad to make good. That is religious nonsense. We also have no example of anyone commanding God to do anything, so anyone that does is doing so without scripture to back it up.
You can say I believe your Word and am putting a demand on your word to perform it as you spoken Father. This is not telling God what to do, but acknowleding you trust and believe what He already said. He won't listen to this type of prayer if He did not back it up.

A better way when things go wrong is ask the Lord, "What do you want me to do? Believe your word that you meet all my needs? What do I need to believe and what action do I need to take. I need you Wisdom on this Lord."

So, instead of taking a bunch of scriptures and demanding things or commanding things, your in a better position because your asking God what to do and what to believe. We shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover Jesus tell us. This is true, but........... every situation is different so asking for wisdom and getting direction is the best route to take. Jesus laid hands on people to be healed, some he put mud in the eyes and told them to wash in the pool. This is where we get direction and I practice this first before praying.

Be thy will prayer for healing example............ USE SCRIPTURE!!!

Luk 5:12
And it came to pass, when he was in a certain city, behold a man full of leprosy: who seeing Jesus fell on his face, and besought him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

Here is the right context for prayers concerning healing. This man asked the Lord much like many believers do today........."Lord I know you can do all things, move mountains.. bla, bla, bla, if it be thy will or great God, please heal me, if it be thy will."

This is the same prayer the same thing the man with leprosy said. Instead of having to pray the "If it be thy will." we get the answer already eternally recorded from the Lord concerning healing. Jesus said....

Luk 5:13 And he put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will: be thou clean. And immediately the leprosy departed from him.

But I do not know if I should command the Lord to say He has to heal that person.

First settle the will of God concerning healing............ Next, as a anointed believer full of the Holy Spirit you and I were designed to be the Body of Christ. That means we are an extension of the Lord Jesus while on earth doing his will. What was his will again concerning healing? We already have the settled, so it's not a matter of demanding God, it's a matter of speaking to that sickness.

Remember, I always get direction from the Lord first. A person may not be right with God, a person may not be able to receive from God. God might need us to get some more information across or even throw mud on them. Whatever the case, I get direction, then act. A person must also be in faith, to receive what we have of the Lord.

Act_14:9 The same heard Paul speak: who stedfastly beholding him, and perceiving that he had faith to be healed,

We don't want to tell people God does not always heal, or God is mysterious and who knows what God is going to do. We are suppose to know the Lord, know how God operates and walk in the power of the anointing of the Holy Spirit. You don't build faith in someone if we are teaching them this "By thy will prayers"

While preaching a Sunday night service a girl came up at the end and gave her life to Jesus. I had a landslide of one person saved that night!!! (It was a small church) This girl after crying and giving everything to Jesus stood up and asked me................ Will God heal my stomach?

Brand new, and she figured God might be able to do that. My answer was that God will heal her right here and now, without fail.

That is the confidence and boldness we need in the Lord, not demand God do things but act on His word as if it's true....... Not command but act on the Word.

Mike.

I think we are going to have quite a hard discussion!

couple things here. Praying "If it be thy will" has no scripture bases at all
1 John 5:14 - This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

The Lord does not need bad to make good. That is religious nonsense
I am not saying Lord has to make bad to do good. Lord cane get good out of evil. There are so many examples in Bible. Rachel made Jacob get the blessings. Was it right? Was it the right thing to do? Even Romans executing Jesus. Is it not evil for man to crucify Messiah?

Brand new, and she figured God might be able to do that. My answer was that God will heal her right here and now, without fail.
I am not questioning on what God is able to do. He is the creator of universe. I am questioning us demanding or commanding God instead of asking His will be done.

Even Jesus thought us to pray like this. Your will be done in earth as it is in heaven.

And regarding your first point on faith. we have to faithfully wait upon the Lord. That is what we have to do.

I am not questioning on what God is able to do. He is the creator of universe. I am questioning us demanding or commanding God instead of asking His will be done.

Even Jesus thought us to pray like this. Your will be done in earth as it is in heaven.

And regarding your first point on faith. we have to faithfully wait upon the Lord. That is what we have to do.

Go back and re-examine what I posted. Jesus did not teach us to pray "Thy will be done" That prayer comes from someone that does not know the Lord's will concerning something. We are told if we know God's will then we get what we desire. Real simple. It's man that complicates prayer with God answers prayer, Yes, no or maybe. God only answers prayer yes just as we prayed if we take the time and respect to find out God's will about something.

I am questioning us demanding or commanding God instead of asking His will be done.

Understand that there are very few that should be demanding anything of God. I think that was the point of the post. You do need to can those "Be thy will" prayers, they will get you nowhere.

What I found will get the best results if we go into everything with the attitude that God knows more about it than we do.

So, when sick for example, I already know his will about healing, but I want to know from the Lord if there is a simple solution in the natural that I need directed to. Why stand for 2 hours believing God to remove a headache when we have aspirin? Wisdom is the principle thing, and we should get wisdom before applying faith on something.

As for waiting? IF you believe big, then prepare to wait big. You have million dollar faith? I don't either but I have hundreds of dollar faith. We are all at different places where we can believe something with faith and patience the two power twins with love pushing them both.

I don't like patience, but without it, you won't get much from God.

So normally we speak to sickness, not demand of God for it. For money we just tell it to come in or thank God that he said he will supply all our need. If we need direction then we ask God for wisdom. The only place I see to come boldly and demanding is when in temptation for sin. We are to go to the Lord and demand of help "NOW" for that and I think some folks miss the scriptures surrounding that one and demand everything.

Mike.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back