Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Teaching Our Children

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JM

A Baptist minister by the name of Richard Cecil asked this question, "What may be done towards the interests of the children of a congregation?" The result was a “Catechism for Girls and Boys†written in 1798. It was created to instruct children in primary grades. For the last year my family has benefited from the use of this collection of Biblical teachings, I read it with my children using its structure to help teach and guide them in God’s word. We read in Deuteronomy 6 “And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.†Every effort should be made to pursue and never neglect our duties as parents, instructing our children as soon as they’re able to learn the word of God, bringing them to the knowledge of His commandments and the knowledge of His love for us. Fathers, as heads of the house, the duty rests upon our shoulders to raise our children in accordance with the will of God.

Getting started: Most of you know me as a karate sensei [wrote this for my church]. When a new student shows up to class to begin training in the art of karate, the first thing I explain is the need for consistency. This is a key Biblical principle we need to apply to family study and worship. So many believers today are afraid to lead their families because they’re not sure in which direction to lead; this is where the catechism comes in. It’s structured to direct the family by asking questions that everyone can benefit from, key doctrines are taught in simple terms and Biblical references are given for parents to look up and add further comments on. Biblical doctrine is taught or unfolds as the family works through the questions together. I didn’t grow up in a Christian home and found it difficult to get started, so I’ll offer an outline, just as a rough guide that you may find helpful.

· Open with a short prayer.
· Ask the child/children to read a question from the catechism you’re studying that night, allowing each child to participate.
· Take time to discuss what was read, quality of the teaching is better then quantity of reading, be sure to ask further questions of the children.
· Guide them by encouraging worshipful reading and reverence; this isn’t a time for you to polish your preaching skills.
· Don’t be afraid to sing a hymn or two.
· Finish your time together with a prayer, taking time to encourage your children to make their requests known before the throne of God.
· Without cutting your time together short, keep it around 20 minutes.

The Bible commands us to teach our children His words with no excuse. We, as fathers set the course children will follow the rest of their lives. Help them build that life upon a foundation of reverence and love for God who first loved them.

Below you’ll find a quote taken from a “Catechism for Girls and Boys†by Cecil. This is the catechism I use with my children and find it easy for them to read, the structure is sound and it’s Baptist. The first 33 questions are quoted below and followed by a link to a website that has all 145. These 33 questions deal with God, man and sin the link continues with the Ten Commandments, questions about salvation, prayer, the word and church ordances [baptism and the Lord’s Supper], and a few questions about last things [the end times]. I prayer this was helpful, may slothfulness never over take you in our duties, the task is yours.

20 Questions from part 1 about God, Man, and Sin
1.Q.Who made you?
A. God made me (Gn 1:26, 27; 2:7; Ec 12:1; Acts 17:24-29).
2.Q. What else did God make?
A. God made all things (Gn 1, esp. verses 1, 31; Acts 14:15; Rm 11:36; Col1:16).
3.Q. Why did God make you and all things?
A. For his own glory (Ps 19:1; Jer 9:23, 24; Rv 4:11; 4:15).
4.Q. How can you glorify God?
A. By loving him and doing what he commands (Ec 12:13; Mk 12:29-31; In 15:8-10; 1 Cor 10:31).
5.Q. Why ought you to glorify God?
A. Because he made me and takes care of me (Rm 11:36; Rv 4:11; cf. Dan 4:39).
6.Q. Are there more gods than one?
A. There is only one God (Deut 6:4; Jer 10:10; Mk 12:29; Acts 17:22-31).
7.Q. In how many persons does this one God exist?
A. In three persons (Mt 3:16, 17; Jn 5:23; 10:30; 14:9, 10; 15:26; 16:13-15; 1 In 5:20, 2 In 9; Rv 1:4, 5).
8.Q. Who are they?
A. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (Mt 28:19; 2 Cor 13:14; 1 Pet 1:2; Jude 20, 21).
9.Q. Who is God?
A. God is a Spirit, and does not have a body like men (Jn 4:24; 2 Cor 3:17; 1 Tim 1:17).
10.Q. Where is God?
A. God is everywhere (Ps 139:7-12; Jer 23:23,24; Acts 17:27,28).
11.Q. Can you see God?
A. No. I cannot see God, but he always sees me (Ex 33:20; Jn 1:18; 1 Tim 6:16; Ps 139 esp. vv. 1-5: Pr 5:21; Hb 4:12, 13).
12.Q. Does God know all things?
A. Yes. Nothing can be hidden from God (1 Chron 28:9; 2 Chron 16:9; Lk 12:6, 7; Rm 2:16).
13.Q. Can God do all things?
A. Yes. God can do all his holy will (Ps 147:5; Jer 32:17; Dan 4:34, 35; Eph 1:11).
14.Q. Where do you learn how to love and obey God?
A. In the Bible alone (Job 11:7; Ps 119:104; Is 8:20; Mt 22:29; 2 Tim 3:15-17).
15.Q. Who wrote the Bible?
A. Holy men who were taught by the Holy Spirit (1 Pet 1:20, 21; Acts 1:16; 2 Tim 3:16; 1 Pet 1:10, 11).
16.Q. Who were our first parents?
A. Adam and Eve (Gn 2:18-25; 3:20; 5:1, 2; Acts 17:26; 1 Tim 2:13).
17.Q. Of what were our first parents made?
A. God made the body of Adam out of the ground, and formed Eve from the body of Adam (Gn 2:7; 21-23; 3:19; Ps 103:14).
18.Q. What did God give Adam and Eve besides bodies?
A. He gave them souls that could never die (1 Cor 15:45: Eccl 12:7; Zech 12:1).
19.Q. Have you a soul as well as a body?
A. Yes. I have a soul that can never die (Mt 10:28; Mk 8:34- 38; 12:30).
20.Q. How do you know that you have a soul?
A. Because the Bible tells me so (Mt 10:28; Mk 8:34-38; 12:30).

http://www.reformedreader.org/ccc/acbg.htm

Jason,

Our family uses this catechism as well...have been for the last five years...it has been so good. The Lord bless you, and yours.

lovely, have you read Gadsy's catechisms? My wife and I "may" study this one in the future.

No, I am not familiar with it. I can not remember the one our church is currently using, though. :oops: I will check it out. Our church is currently asking the adults to study a longer catechism because so many didn't learn them as children, and some have come to faith as adults. So, we are now memorizing questions, after we study the Scriptures on each one, but I only have a hand out that doesn't name the source. We just started this about a month ago, and we have only done the first two so far ...it is sort of an extra thing after our fellowship meal at church. We only meet once a week, and so if there is any kind of Bible study it is generally after our worship service. Many people at our church commute over an hour...our family drives an hour and a half, so Bible studies are set for the same day generally to accomodate about 25% of our congregation.

My husband, and I, do the same expositional study that our church follows. It is interesting, because we will read the Scriptures, and then talk about them for the week, and then there will be a sermon at church on those same passages. We sharpen each other, and then the minister who speaks at service that week sharpens us both...or corrects us both. :-D

The Lord bless you.

Sounds like it could be very helpful. Regardless of what is used I think we all should take teaching our children seriously and I thank you for the post as it is convicting for me. I could be doing a much better job.

AV has some good sugestions on his site, maybe he'll log on and share them?

lovely, I'm doing a study of Job using a light outline by Rev. P. deJong called Job's Perseverance. If you get a chance, it's idea for couple Bible study. Simple, yet deep with great suggestions. One that I hadn't thought of was to look up the meaning of Job's name. Rev. deJong also gives Heidelberg Catechism, Belgic Confession and Canons of Dort to read from.

carr, you are correct. This is a huge area the modern church is failing in...among others.

:oops:

We'll give an account if we fail to teach and covenant our children.

Peace,

jm

[edited to add]

Quote: Mark 10:14c "for of such is the kingdom of God"

Very much of our time as parents is taken up by our children; they have a central, very central place in our daily lives. We tie their shoelaces, dry up their tears, sit with them at the table, read them stories. We send them off to school, fix their torn clothes, help with their homework, listen to their stories, kiss them goodnight. We coach them so they can get their licence, rejoice with them when they make profession of faith, clutch our hearts as they make their first forays into the work force, put together again the heart broken by the failed romance. And once they're married, the involvement remains (be it on a different level), and the fun starts with the next generation. Children take up so much of our time.

With this article, I want to draw out that the children entrusted into our care are heirs of God's kingdom; God has claimed these children for Himself in His covenant of grace, so that all His promises in Jesus Christ are for them. This royal identity implies that each of our children are exceedingly special to God. This identity in turn affects 'even dictates' the way we treat our offspring.

The article is made up of three parts. The first section takes the reader to a scene in Israel many years ago, when Jesus' disciples attempted to save their Master from the neighbourhood children. The following section seeks to understand why Jesus was so furious with His disciples for their attempt to blockade the children. The final section attempts to draw out the consequence.

http://www.spindleworks.com/library/bou ... ildren.htm

Spindleworks.com has a ton of great info for family study.

Back