Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Tech Talk or Humor?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

TOG

I'm not sure whether this belongs in this section or whether it should be in the Humor, Jokes and Games section. I decided to put it here, because I didn't think it was funny at all when it happened. Yes, believe it or not, this really did happen to me just a few days ago, when I was having trouble with my ADSL connection and called tech support.

Me: I'm having trouble with my Internet connection.
Tech Support: What's the problem?
Me: I called about two weeks ago because my connection was going down intermittently, and the man I talked to then said I should get a new router. I did, but the problem got worse. Not only did the connection keep going up and down, but I could no longer talk on the phone because of a constant hissing noise, which disappeared if I disconnected the router. I called again a few days ago, and the guy I talked to then said I had been unlucky and had gotten a defective router, so I got another one. Last Thursday my connection disappeared entirely, and I've had no connection since. I called again this morning, and was told to come get another router. I did, but I still have no connection.
Tech Support: Well, I find it hard to believe that you've gotten that many defective routers. There must be some other problem.
Me: It is rather unbelievable that I would be that unlucky.
Tech Support: Have you tried using a different port on the router?
Me: Yes, and I've also tried getting new cables. I know they all work because I can ping the router and load it's web page in my browser.
Tech Support: You might need a network card. You could be trying to connect to the router without a network card in your computer.
Me: Hold on. Did you just say that I could connect to the router without a network card?
Tech Support: Yes.
Me: How in the world am I supposed to be able to do that???
Tech Support: You just plug the cable directly into your computer.
Me: <Long pause while I try to get over my disbelief of what he just said.>
Me: Yes... I connect it to the network card that's in the computer.
Tech Support: No, you connect it directly to the motherboard.
Me: Yes... to the network card that's built into the motherboard. It's still called that, even though it's not a separate card.
Tech Support: No it's not. I suggest you get a network card.
Me: I would like to suggest something else.
Tech Support: What's that?
Me: I get another ISP.

I now have another ISP, and I can once again connect to the Internet.

The TOG​

This is a great place to post that, TOG. It's a timely reminder to all of us that some challenging aspects of computering can be resolved with a new ISP. I had to do that several months ago, after dealing with various tech support members at the now-former ISP.

Am saddened that you experienced what you did, but we're all happy to see you've returned to CFnet with a new - and hopefully reliable - ISP! :wave

Out of curiosity, did you go back to your original router, or did you get a new one with your new ISP?

Out of curiosity, did you go back to your original router, or did you get a new one with your new ISP?

I didn't own the router I had before. It came from my ISP, so I got a new one with my new ISP.

The TOG

I didn't own the router I had before. It came from my ISP, so I got a new one with my new ISP.

The TOG
Right on. What did your old provider do when you told them you would be looking for a new one?

Right on. What did your old provider do when you told them you would be looking for a new one?

There was nothing they could do. Of course, the people I talked to knew I wasn't mad at them, but at their employers, so they didn't get upset.

The TOG​

Back