Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Telling the Constellations apart

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

tim-from-pa

Anyone get that feeling that many people looking up do not know Leo from Draco or Draco from Leo? For some people they are all stars and make no difference, and indeed will even say it does not matter if we call one the other.

Anyone get that feeling that many people looking up do not know Leo from Draco or Draco from Leo? For some people they are all stars and make no difference, and indeed will even say it does not matter if we call one the other.

I know what the big dipper and the little one look like. Beyond that I'm cluless.

Am I missing something?

I know what the big dipper and the little one look like. Beyond that I'm cluless.

Am I missing something?

It's much like the bible. It can be taken literally. But there can be more to the meaning....

The Big and little dippers are the most commonly known, but I think many would at least know Orion when they see that constellation as well.

Photo of Orion

I have never noticed Orion before. Not even at the thing in that science museum. I think that it's called a planetarium and it's at the Cumbeland Science Center. I went there on a few my school took there when I was a kid. Golly,,,you'd think that I would have retained something.

Thanks for posting the photo of Orion. It's amazing to look at the constellations.

I do not know Leo from Draco.
Was not orion's belt in Men in Black 2?
Seriously I am fascinated by the stars, but here in Oregon it is cloudy alot of the time. When the news talks of a meteor shower or planets aligning or whatever, sure enough it is either cloudy, raining or both.

And this coming summer we have the constellations Ophiuchus (the serpent holder) holding the serpent and his foot over Scorpio.

Behold, He has the power to tread on serpents (ὄφις --- ophis) and scorpions (σκορπίος -- skorpios).

And he can take up serpents.

For those who believe Christ already returned and that there is no more (future) prophecy, I guess they can't see the constellations Taurus to Leo, a third of the heavens. What do we think these constellations are all about anyway? They are yet another witness.

Read Bullinger's work "The Witness of the Stars".

In case anyone hasn't seen this:

Photopic Sky Survey

Zoom in and out, turn constellations on and off, and click on the text in the bottom right for "About" info. Incredible work by one man, as far as I know.

I don't go outside in the dark and when I do I don't see stars because the lights from Hartford keep them from showing up. Up in Maine, where the nearest city is about 6 hours away, I can see a bajillion and a half stars, but I swear, there are just so many stars I cannot tell one from the next.

One of the advantages of where we live is that we have a beautiful view of the stars. Every summer, Steve and I enjoy sitting on our back porch at night, watching Cynus winging his way through the Summer Triangle. Orion, is quite bright here, as are both the Big and Little Dippers, Cepheus and Capricornus. On some nights, when I really feel like straining my eyes, since we don't have a good scope, I try to make out the Little Fox, but it just doesn't quite come through.

The best time of all is in August when we let the kids stay up and we all lay out on blankets and watch the falling meteors as Earth travels through the Perseids.

Tim, I realize the stars for "signs and for seasons", but I'm not too sure about trying to read prophesy in the constellations. It just skims too close to astrology for me.

I do love God's handiwork in the stars though. We have an awesome God indeed.

surely not of satan or something like that.
without the stars and the universe there would i think be no life.

there are even greater calandars then just ours for a year'

the egytians where allready very well known with the stars of which our Sun is also one.....

if egypt didnt exist(where the jews come/came from) there would probably never even have been jesus.

just as sidenote if i know right jesus spent his youth in egypt.
and i am pretty much sure that if there was no nightsky or sun. not much of this here on earth either would be..

it is not just our Sun and moon having influence on life on earth and the quest about "where did it all come from?"(space)

to me earth with all on it is part of the whole universe which belongs to god.

it where the three wise man who followed the star...
that we all know was the star that led the three wise man to jesus.
to me it's not even a matter of discussion.

for the rest about horoscope's and such i am not really into.
but that the star constellations are the bigger relations that even determine and determined life on earth is pretty much sure.

btw if you look at the big dipper and take the second star from of the end of the handle if you look closely (or besides..) you can see a litlle red star too.

i used to look at the sky for one and a half year every single evening/night.
and i do believe that when i read star or sun in the bible that is meant literarelly to me at least....

edit: astrology can come in many ways. and i misunderstood i thought you meant the stars where satans work, sorry

Back