Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The 3 Baptisms

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Every Protestant church I've been to they do just that.. Baptize them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..

It appears there are two different views in this discussion Orthodox & Protestant?

baptism is important and should follow salvation ..my only thing on baptism is a brief teaching on baptism . i talked to a lady one time asked her if she was saved? her reply i been baptized wouldn't hurt to be baptized again . you can be baptized a lost person and come up still lost only wet

That is not my opinion.
That's what the Jesus said.

Mat 28:18-20
And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying,
“All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
Go therefore and
make disciples of all the nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
teaching them to obey all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Depends which baptism you are referring to. John's or Jesus as John's was for remission of sin as an outward appearance to others after they repented as Jesus had not yet come to John to be baptized. The other being Jesus baptism of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost in the upper room. They are separate baptisms as the Holy Spirit had not yet come down from heaven until after Jesus ascended up to heaven.

baptism is important and should follow salvation ..my only thing on baptism is a brief teaching on baptism . i talked to a lady one time asked her if she was saved? her reply i been baptized wouldn't hurt to be baptized again . you can be baptized a lost person and come up still lost only wet

I was baptized as a baby, but that isn't even scriptual. I really did not understand baptism the first time when I was actually dunked in a pond that was being used for baptizing. When I came up from the water all I was was wet and everyone was welcoming me into the family. I knew nothing about being Spiritually reborn again or even understood anything about the Holy Spirit.

It wasn't until many years later that I learned about the Spiritual rebirth and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. While sitting in church as the Pastor was teaching on the Holy Spirit and salvation. There was an altar call after to whoever wanted the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and I went forward. That is when Christ indwelled me and opened my Spiritual eyes and ears to understand and no one had to lay any hands on me as the calling was from Christ and not man.

I felt led to be water baptized again with a better understanding as even though I still came up wet the experience had more meaning as it drew me back to Christ when John baptized Him as the need for Jesus to be baptized by John was to relate His relationship with humanity as He started His ministry as Christ had no sin to repent of. There needs to be a greater teaching on salvation and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, but many churches will not teach this.

What????
Did John baptize anyone in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit?
No. He did not.
So, what are you talking about?"

Did I or anyone say he did? I was only explaining the difference between John's baptism and the baptism of Christ who gives us the indwelling Holy Spirit as they are two different events in one's life.

I was baptized as a baby, but that isn't even scriptual. I really did not understand baptism the first time when I was actually dunked in a pond that was being used for baptizing. When I came up from the water all I was was wet and everyone was welcoming me into the family. I knew nothing about being Spiritually reborn again or even understood anything about the Holy Spirit.

It wasn't until many years later that I learned about the Spiritual rebirth and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. While sitting in church as the Pastor was teaching on the Holy Spirit and salvation. There was an altar call after to whoever wanted the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and I went forward. That is when Christ indwelled me and opened my Spiritual eyes and ears to understand and no one had to lay any hands on me as the calling was from Christ and not man.

I felt led to be water baptized again with a better understanding as even though I still came up wet the experience had more meaning as it drew me back to Christ when John baptized Him as the need for Jesus to be baptized by John was to relate His relationship with humanity as He started His ministry as Christ had no sin to repent of. There needs to be a greater teaching on salvation and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, but many churches will not teach this.
dont get me wrong baptism is important very much Bible i have been in association meetings where church letters was read . in it we baptized x amount folks ..curious did they get saved ? my biggest beef some churches use.. to be a member say i joined another denom..some ask you to be baptized again into there church... really i have yet to find scripture backing that up. we have those who take baptism lightly imo it should be just as spirit led as communion. then those who baptize to finish salvation up.. when dealing with souls one stands in a higher judgment . when administering Communion baptism anything church related. it should be done under the guidance of the holy spirit . far to many have the same story as you. when i did youth pastor ministry . a lady called the church asked if her children could be baptized. i told her as long as they was truly saved .. then the mom came to the church talked to me .i told her the child must be born again first . she asked the child have you? i just shook my head... i see baptism where the pastor baptizes the person standing out side the tank . i get wet with them

Did I or anyone say he did? I was only explaining the difference between John's baptism and the baptism of Christ who gives us the indwelling Holy Spirit as they are two different events in one's life.
this going back and forth with correction is getting old.. there are many things i disagree with others belief in this forum . but they have the God given right to be that way..

There was a young couple I knew who had been baptised by immersion and later strayed from the Lord. Some years later they returned to the Lord and requested to be baptised again. The pastor agreed.

Was this necessary?

Water baptism is one of the three baptism’s that need to be fulfilled in each believers life.

JLB

You're neglecting to mention Baptism in fire? Jesus does both, the Holy Ghost and fire. I have an amusing anctedote about how I learned the distinction and that these are not one and the same, neither is it one or the other; I learned that in a way I can never forget. I'm curious how you think of this?

There was a young couple I knew who had been baptised by immersion and later strayed from the Lord. Some years later they returned to the Lord and requested to be baptised again. The pastor agreed.

Was this necessary?
is it necessary probably not.. does it hurt no ! some had rather be baptized again.. but if your saved and been baptized and fall away for a time.. repentance is all that is needed

I was actually thinking about the thief on the cross also.

There are two ways of thinking of the thief on the cross as having been Baptized. One as JLB has expounded, that there are 3 Baptisms and he got the first. The other as the Church has historically taught, that his was a Baptism in blood.

Baptism in fire
we can only speculate but imo the fire is the refiners fire
Zechariah 13:9 English Standard Version (ESV)
9 And I will put this third into the fire,
and refine them as one refines silver,
and test them as gold is tested.
They will call upon my name,
and I will answer them.
I will say, ‘They are my people’;
and they will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’”

is it necessary probably not.. does it hurt no ! some had rather be baptized again.. but if your saved and been baptized and fall away for a time.. repentance is all that is needed
That's what I thought too Ezra. But yes you're right it doesn't hurt :)

dont get me wrong baptism is important very much Bible i have been in association meetings where church letters was read . in it we baptized x amount folks ..curious did they get saved ? my biggest beef some churches use.. to be a member say i joined another denom..some ask you to be baptized again into there church... really i have yet to find scripture backing that up. we have those who take baptism lightly imo it should be just as spirit led as communion. then those who baptize to finish salvation up.. when dealing with souls one stands in a higher judgment . when administering Communion baptism anything church related. it should be done under the guidance of the holy spirit . far to many have the same story as you. when i did youth pastor ministry . a lady called the church asked if her children could be baptized. i told her as long as they was truly saved .. then the mom came to the church talked to me .i told her the child must be born again first . she asked the child have you? i just shook my head... i see baptism where the pastor baptizes the person standing out side the tank . i get wet with them

Yes, everything concerning the workings of the church needs to be under the guidance of the Holy Spirit that sets those in the church. My last Pastor would not let anyone be involved with the operations of the church unless they were Spiritually born again and indwelled with the Holy Spirit. Even then he would tell them to pray first and ask guidance from the Holy Spirit if they were to be in the position that was needed to be filled.

IMO it's the doctrines of many churches (not all) that what the Pastor teaches is either a bandwagon teaching as they are either blinded to truth or the love of monetary gain is greater than truth. Some Pastors are also instructed by the higher counsel of the church office as what they are allowed and not allowed to teach. Then you have the congregation that believe those teachings that come from the pulpit as they believe everything that comes out of the Pastors mouth as they only read along with the scripture, but yet have no understanding of it as they continue in the teaching others that of man's doctrines, neglecting the true doctrines of Christ. This is why there is so much division within the church that causes strife and quenches the Holy Spirit.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back