Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The All New "Great Quotes" Thread!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Thirty was so strange for me. I've really had to come to terms with the fact that I am now a walking and talking adult.
C. S. Lewis

'Most people do not believe in anything very much and our greatest poetry is given to us by those who do.'
Cyril Connolly

'You just have to work with what God sends, and if God doesn't seem to understand the concept of commercial success, then that's your bad luck.'
Michael Frayn

'What creates a writer is huge, psychological dysfunction.'
Kathy Lette

'Those of us who had a perfectly happy childhood should be able to sue for deprivation of literary royalties.'
Chris Patten

If the whole human race lay in one grave, the epitaph on its headstone might well be: `It seemed a good idea at the time.'
- Dame Rebecca West

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction!
- Irish Blessing

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable. - Robert Heinlein

Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.
Robert A. Heinlein

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
Robert A. Heinlein

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

'If you caricature friends in your first novel they will be upset, but if you don't they will feel betrayed.'
Mordecai Richler

'The good writing of any age has always been the product of someone's neurosis, and we'd have a mighty dull literature if all the writers that came along were a bunch of happy chuckleheads.'
William Styron

'"Classic". A book which people praise and don't read.'
Mark Twain

'I have nothing to declare except my genius.'
Oscar Wilde

Yes, I found a list of his greatest quotes. Truly a remarkable thinker. I was also surprised to learn that he is still alive, and even more surprised to learn that he never made an unassisted triple play.

When he was asked if first baseman Don Mattingly had exceeded expectations, Yogi Berra replied:

"I'd say he's done more than that!"

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams!" -Eleanore Roosevelt.

"There is nothing more fulfilling than being completely empty because you gave it all to God!" -Myself.

"We cannot build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future." -IDK.

"Tears were filling Heaven's eyes, the day that True Love died." -Phil Wickham.

Those are just some of my favorites :wave

This isn't an exact quote, but it is a true story. Eleanore Roosevelt was touring a field where the Tuskegee Airmen, the legendary Black fighter pilots of World War 2, were being trained. She eagerly accepted an offer from one of the pilots to go up in a plane.

But no Black pilot had ever flown a White woman passenger before. Alarmed for her safety, a frustrated officer put a call through to President Roosevelt, asking him to forbid her to go up. The President asked (This is not an exact quote) "Did he go through the same training as a White pilot? Then she can go up if she wants to."

And so Eleanore Roosevelt became the first White woman to travel in an airplane with a Black pilot.

Vince said:
This isn't an exact quote, but it is a true story. Eleanore Roosevelt was touring a field where the Tuskegee Airmen, the legendary Black fighter pilots of World War 2, were being trained. She eagerly accepted an offer from one of the pilots to go up in a plane.

But no Black pilot had ever flown a White woman passenger before. Alarmed for her safety, a frustrated officer put a call through to President Roosevelt, asking him to forbid her to go up. The President asked (This is not an exact quote) "Did he go through the same training as a White pilot? Then she can go up if she wants to."

And so Eleanore Roosevelt became the first White woman to travel in an airplane with a Black pilot.

That's so awesome! It really shows their integrity.

Some quotes from a great philosopher Alan Watts.

"A myth is an image in terms of which we try to make sense of the world."

"Faith is a state of openness or trust."

"In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe, becomes a person who has no faith at all."

"Never pretend to a love which you do not actually feel, for love is not ours to command."

"No work or love will flourish out of guilt, fear, or hollowness of heart, just as no valid plans for the future can be made by those who have no capacity for living now."

"So then, the relationship of self to other is the complete realization that loving yourself is impossible without loving everything defined as other than yourself."

"Technology is destructive only in the hands of people who do not realize that they are one and the same process as the universe."

"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance."

"Things are as they are. Looking out into it the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations."

"To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don't grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float."

"You don't look out there for God, something in the sky, you look in you."

"Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes."

The quote in my signature is great, but while I am here I will post the extended version.

"To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable."

Kind of cliche, I suppose. But I love it.

"And she's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead."

Meinhardt Raabe,who played the Munchkin coroner in The Wizard of Oz. Mr. Raabe died yesterday at the age of 94.

I just watched 2012. Not a very good movie, but I got this awesome quote.

American guy: "Wow, that's a big plane!"
Russian guy in heavy accent: "It's Russian." (matter-of-fact-tone)

:lol :biggrin :biglaugh

At the end of this day, one shall stand...one shall fall - Optimus Prime

Any of you boys want to shoot, now's the time. There isn't one of us that doesn't want to be someplace else. But this is what we do, who we are. Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call. - John Rambo

A few more good ones.

Consider it: every person you have ever met, every person will suffer the loss of his friends and family. All are going to lose everything they love in this world. Why would one want to be anything but kind to them in the meantime? - Sam Harris

A man is but the product of his thoughts what he thinks, he becomes. - Ghandi

“As fragrance abides in the flower
As reflection is within the mirror,
So does your Lord abide within you,
Why search for him without?â€

- Guru Nanak

Enlightenment is not imagining figures of light but making the darkness conscious. - Carl Gustav Jung

The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely - Carl Gustav Jung

I was like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me. - Isaac Newton

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back