Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The atheist way through AA

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Lewis

Below is a article which I Lewis found on CNN. I still every once in a while will go to a AA or NA meeting. Mostly I go to a place called the Club House here in Philly, and I once was a member of the Parkside group AA, which was the first black AA in the world. But anyway for me AA did not get me sober Jesus did. And what gets me angry about AA and NA, is the fact they use the term Higher Power, which could be anything, like a table leg or something. AA is called a spiritual program, but I fail to see that. But sometimes I like to go and see friends and listen to the war stories. And sometimes I will speak about myself or experience. But in the below article this lady is what I see in AA and NA. And even though we close every meeting with the Lord's prayer, it is anything but. At these meetings I see people from every walk of life, from gays, Muslims, Christians, athieist, killers, rapist, doctors, cops, teachers, you name it I have met and seen them all in AA and NA.

Marya Hornbacher's latest book "Waiting: A Nonbeliever’s Higher Power" explores what spirituality can mean to the recovering person who does not believe in God.
By Marya Hornbacher, Special to CNN

Kicked back with his boots on the table at the head of the smoke-dense room, the meeting's leader banged his fist and bellowed, “By the grace of this program and the blood of Jesus Christ, I’m sober today!” I blinked.
This was not an auspicious beginning for the project of getting my vaguely atheistic, very alcoholic self off the sauce.
I wondered if perhaps I’d wandered into the wrong room. I thought maybe I’d wound up in Alcoholics Anonymous for crown-of-thorn Christians, and in the next room might find AA for lapsed Catholics, and downstairs a group for AA Hare Krishnas and one for AA Ukrainian Jews.

But a decade later, I’ve become aware that 12-step programs are home to people from every religion, denomination, sect, cult, political tilt, gender identity, sexual preference, economic strata, racial and ethnic background, believers in gun rights and abortion rights and the right to home schooling, drinkers of coffee and tea, whiskey and mouthwash, people who sleep on their sides or their stomachs or sidewalks.
Anyone who cares to sober up, in other words, can give it a shot the 12-step way. The official preamble Alcoholics Anonymous states: "The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.”
And millions of people want that and find a way to do it in this program. I’m one of them. I was, not to put too fine a point on it, a raging drunk. Now I’m not.

It wasn’t magic; it was brutally hard work to get from point A to B. I do believe I’d be dead without the help of the people and the structure of the steps in AA.
But I don’t believe in God.
And this can be something of a sticking point when you’re sitting in a meeting room, desperate for almost any route out of hell, and someone cites “the blood of Jesus” as the only way to go. Or when you realize that six of AA's 12 steps explicitly refer to God, a Higher Power, or He.

But this shouldn't be a deal breaker. I’m going to make a lot of old-style AA’s cranky with this, but it’s perfectly possible to sober up, sans belief in God.
At first that wasn’t clear to me. It’s unclear to most people because AA has a reputation as a cult, a religion unto itself, a bunch of blathering self-helpers, a herd of lemmings, or morons, and it isn’t those things either. It’s a pretty straightforward series of steps, based on spiritual principles, that helps people clean up their lives in a whole lot of ways.
But if you are of an atheistic or strongly agnostic mindset, chances are you’ll walk into a meeting, see the steps hanging on the wall, and want to scream, laugh, or walk back out.

I tried another tack: I made a valiant attempt to believe. I figured a) these people were funny, kind, and not plastered; b) they believed that some kind of higher power had helped them get sober; c) they knew something I did not.
So I did research. I read every word of AA literature I could find. I read up on the history of half a dozen important religions and a wide variety of frou-frou nonsense. I earnestly discussed my lack of belief with priests, rabbis, fanatics and my father.
People told me their stories — of God, the divine, the power of love, an intelligent creator. Something that made all this. Some origin, some end.

I told them I believed in math. Chaos, I said. Infinity. That sort of thing.
They looked at me in despair.
And not infrequently, they said, “So you think you’re the biggest, most important thing in the universe?”
On the contrary. I think I am among the smallest. Cosmically speaking, I barely exist.
Like anything else, I came into being by the chance, consist mostly of water, am composed of cells that can be reduced and reduced, down to the quarks and leptons and so forth, that make up matter and force. If you broke down all matter, the atom or my body, you’d arrive at the same thing: what scientists call one strange quark, with its half-integer spin.

And I find that not only fascinating, but wondrous, awe-inspiring, and humbling.
I believe that the most important spiritual principle of AA is humility. The recognition that we are flawed, that we can and must change and that our purpose not only in sobriety but in life is to be of service to others.
I believe that I exist at random, but I do not exist alone; and that as long as my quarks cohere, my entire function on this hurtling planet is to give what I can to the other extant things.
That keeps me sober. Amen.

i have a coworker who goes to aa and at times na. i read his books from time to time. he is surprised that i know of the inner workings of his aa and na.

its sad really, all that self help may work but really if one is overcoming(or to overcome) then wouldnt it better to look at jesus. not that i have room to talk as at present lewis you know what i struggle with and God works in different ways to get you to come to him and deliver you from besetting sins.

honeslty more churches should do these things besides aa and na.

we have teen challenge here and a place called dunklin the sucess rate of na an aa isnt even 10%. yet the secularists and such like dont want to fund what is proven effective. the church programs that are using the word to call men and women to repent.aa makes a cleaner sinner, the word makes the sinner no longer a sinner but child of GOD!

Jason I know people who are so hooked on meetings until it makes you sick. Some of them speak of God but they don't know him. One of my church members is always at the AA Club House, but has not stepped foot in our church in about 5 or 6 years. I was at the club house about 4 weeks ago and I asked her when was she coming back and she did not know what to say. But what I see being pushed is that AA a god. Because I always here in the rooms that (if it weren't for the people in these rooms I would be dead) in other words the power and the will of the people gets and keeps you sober. Even though God is talked about He is a after thought. AA and NA has their place and I am glad that Bill and Dr Bob started it in Akron Ohio all those years ago. Because lives has been salvaged. Also what I have seen pushed since I went to my first AA meeting in 1982 is, if you fight with your wife make a meeting, if you get fired make a meeting, having a problem with your sexuality make a meeting, one of your socks is missing make a meeting. Get the picture, how about going to God. They do tell you to pray, but to who ?

its with GOD's help not self help. we go to doctors when we are sick usually. yet nobody would in their right mind say to the cancer patient. HEAL thyself. yet that in a sense what aa has become.

God says to all men, you are sick and have diseases. i have the cure, take it and live!

I don't get AA or NA. When I had an uppers+downers problem years ago, I landed in a mental hospital/detox facility, they took away my fun pills, and that was it. Not only did I stop popping fun pills, I quit taking medications period because I was disgusted by the way "mental health professionals" treated those they were supposed to help.

I really do think Churches could do more to bring back the Truth that addictive behaviors are sins, not diseases. I'm not saying blame it all on the drug user or alcoholic, but I am saying that I think repentance is probably more effective than psychobabble. I completed a Teen Challenge program, and it saved my soul. I didn't have a drug problem at that point--I'd been doing crazy stuff while off meds, so TC was offered as an alternative to prosecution--but I learned a lot. They really taught me what it means to be a Christian man.

I just don't see that in AA or NA. It sounds like they're asking you to call on a "higher power" to get you through your "disease." Is that the case? So, its just like the typical psychobabble "addiction is a disease" stuff, plus some unnamed "higher power" that comes through when you're in a pinch?

Back