Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Best Operating System

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Vince

A lot depends on your machine, but here goes:

Why is 7 better than XP? Because it can run a 64 bit system far better than XP can. So if you have a 32 bit computer, you gain almost nothing by upgrading to 7, and it might not perform as well.

Well my Dell Vostro 220 desk top is running Windows 8 fantastic and it is a 32 bit. Now my 2 laptops are 64 bit running Windows 7.

I like Windows 7 more than any OS out there currently, runs nice and smooth on my 64 bit laptop and haven't really had any problems with the OS so far. Only problems I've had with the laptop were with the CPU fan, so I returned the laptop to the store and they were kind enough to give me a completely new one. ;)
Anyway, back to topic. I like it more than other operating systems because I can't really play games with others (next to Microsoft, and I know you can run SOME games with OSX but not ALL the games).

I've had Ubuntu Desktop for a long while as well when I wasn't as much into gaming as much as I am now, and it's SO fast! I was amazed (still am) how fast it booted up and how smooth and good looking it was. One thing that just made me stop using it is (here it comes..) that I couldn't play games or use programs which were made for Windows! ;)

I like Windows 7 more than any OS out there currently, runs nice and smooth on my 64 bit laptop and haven't really had any problems with the OS so far. Only problems I've had with the laptop were with the CPU fan, so I returned the laptop to the store and they were kind enough to give me a completely new one. ;)
Anyway, back to topic. I like it more than other operating systems because I can't really play games with others (next to Microsoft, and I know you can run SOME games with OSX but not ALL the games).

I've had Ubuntu Desktop for a long while as well when I wasn't as much into gaming as much as I am now, and it's SO fast! I was amazed (still am) how fast it booted up and how smooth and good looking it was. One thing that just made me stop using it is (here it comes..) that I couldn't play games or use programs which were made for Windows! ;)

The lack of software that works with Linux is one of the biggest complaints, but then again they have their own versions of basically the same thing. The biggest protest is that the ones people like do not work with Linux and they don't want to "have to learn new software over again" referring to the Linux version. But let me state just two valid points:

1) If more people used Linux, then more programs would be created for it. Yes, I'll admit it's more difficult to do for example online taxes with Turbo-tax or to update your GPS maps if you don't have a Mac or Microsoft. With me, I don't use such stuff often enough so I can just borrow a Microsoft computer to do a one-time thing like that. The critical, repetitious stuff Linux has applications for in abundance.
2) It's not entirely true that people don't "have to learn new software over again" because there may be a favorite game, or other program that even the newer versions of Microsoft can no longer run, so that means that the person has to spend money again for similar software they already bought and paid for, not to mention learning where all the new operating system commands are located. If people put themselves thru such pain with an Operating system they have to pay for, then why not put oneself thru the same pain and get Linux for free? The fact that people don't want to switch (so they say) because of this learning and familiarity factor never ceases to amaze me when they have to do the same thing with the operating system they already have.

Actually, you do lose some things with Linux: the viruses, the slow-ups, the need for tune-ups and defrags, the blue screen of death, spyware, etc. :lol As you said, Ubuntu is fast. My computers are fast 2 years after I installed it, or I should say it never gets any slower. I was just visiting my parents in Florida for 2 weeks and I noticed a definite slow-up of their windows 7 computer in the short time I was there, probably because I go on more web sites than my elderly parents do. But I refused to come to this site due to that virus issue earlier and mess up their computer which Windows 7 would get a virus at just a drop of a hat, a cough and a sneeze. It's nice to be home and not walking on eggshells again. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone else would.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back