Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Bible Doesn't Say Anything

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Mine does. It speaks to me electronically via the MP3 stuff. :biggrin
Mine too. I listen to the You Version online everyday as I'm reading through the entire Bible. they have a lot of good reading plans and different versions one can use. Most of the readers are quite good.

Not for me but will give it shot.

-Be a good neighbor. Pick up after your dog(s), take out the trash cans after dark and bring them in as soon as they are emptied by the waste management professionals; mow your lawn, keep your front and back yard tidy.
-Greet them
-Support them when they mourn a death by providing meals, offers to transport family members when they are sick or in need of transportation due to a car in the auto mechanic shop.
-Pray for them (they may not know you are doing such)
-Befriend them
Bottom line our actions speak loud to our neighbors. They probably see us go to church, so once you befriend them invite them to church if they are not already going.

I say this with being on the other end. I have neighbors up the street a bit who my kids went to school with their kids and played together growing up. Good family always kind to my kids. Figured they were Christians too (went to another church) but did not know for sure until they heard I was fighting round three of chemotherapy. They came to my door one night with a Christian get well card and said they knew I was a believer in Christ and they wanted to drop by and let me know they are praying for me. They gave me a copy of their favorite worship music and a restaurant gift card. I was overcome with their compassion and Christian love. Their actions 'spoke' the Bible to me.

So the message of the Bible is mow your lawn?

Is that what you call doing the will of God?

The message of the Bible is compassion for the poor in spirit. It's not mow your lawn or your neighbour's lawn.
So if your neighbor are elderly and can't mow their yard nor afford a lawn maintenance company. It's not Christ like to pay for it or mow it for them?

So if your neighbor are elderly and can't mow their yard nor afford a lawn maintenance company. It's not Christ like to pay for it or mow it for them?

No. It's not Christ like. Can you see Christ mowing your neighbour's lawn? I want to laugh but this is too disheartening.

Mowing our neighbour's lawn is not what we are called to do. If it's something you want to do, go ahead. But then you are seeking the approval of men, not God.

What is it to you if your neighbour lets his grass grow? The message of the Bible is do not be conformed to this world. Our neighbour's lawn is not our concern.

Is that what you call doing the will of God?

The message of the Bible is compassion for the poor in spirit. It's not mow your lawn or your neighbour's lawn.

I had an elderly neighbor, in her 80's. She was a widow. She needed care for some things but mostly she could do for herself. She couldn't shovel her own walk or mow her own lawn.

The Bible says this: James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Matthew 10:42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is My disciple, truly I tell you, he will never lose his reward.”

Galatians 5:13 For you, brothers, were called to freedom; but do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh. Rather, serve one another in love.

When Jesus washed the feet of the Disciples he said this: John13:12b and following: .....“Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

It's not about the mowing of someone's lawn unless that is what the situation calls for. I've never mowed anyone's lawn since that lady. I just felt a tug towards helping here with that small act. We are not just called to simply have compassion. We are called to action. Compassion is meaningless without actions that follow.

No. It's not Christ like. Can you see Christ mowing your neighbour's lawn? I want to laugh but this is too disheartening.

Mowing our neighbour's lawn is not what we are called to do. If it's something you want to do, go ahead. But then you are seeking the approval of men, not God.

What is it to you if your neighbour lets his grass grow? The message of the Bible is do not be conformed to this world. Our neighbour's lawn is not our concern.
First a warning, don't mock the positions others share. Saying you will laugh at what someone believes is uncharatible and I'm not allowing that sort of thing on these boards. Find another way to disagree.

Second, it's not seeking the approval of men to help someone in need. I believe we are called by God to serve others in love. This is what Jesus taught. It's not the only thing we're to do, but it's important.

Last edited:
Put a Bible on a coffee table, let it sit there and wait for it to speak. You'll be there all day. It says nothing because it's a Book with paper and filled with words. Words from God to be sure, but readers read to comprehend. That is the purpose of reading: To understand what is written. But it is YOU who is doing the reading and inferring from the Text. The Text isn't forcing you to think or believe the way you do.

People post verses to support their POV. Quoting verses and telling others what it means isn't proving your case. The Bible doesn't say anything. You have to infer the meaning from the text. Once you do that, it's not the Bible that's doing the talking, you are.

It seems many people are self-proclaimed biblical experts. Many people claimed to "know" the truth even though their claims differ from other "truth tellers."

Each side claims the other is ignoring the Scriptures or misunderstanding them. And on and on and on.

No one has a perfect theology and all of us has something wrong in our beliefs. We read the Bible and often have a knee jerk reaction to the meaning of the text. The Bible says it, and that's good enough for me!

Well as I said, no Bible has never said anything.
What are you saying there? With regard to your faith and practice being your understanding of both are presumably gleaned from reading the Bible.

Those of you who post on this board will do well to read this post of mine: http://christianforums.net/Fellowsh...ent-events-politics-needs-to-read-this.71394/

Although it's about the politics board, it will apply to this board as well since I moderate it. I'm not going to tolerate snotty remarks from anyone. Sorry for being so blunt. Season your replies with salt and the love of Christ. There are many ways to disagree. Find the best way that won't get you booted from the thread.

Since this is in red, don't reply to it. That's an automatic thread ban if you don't know.

What are you saying there? With regard to your faith and practice being your understanding of both are presumably gleaned from reading the Bible.
Hi Sister, I've posted several further explanations on what I meant. You can probably scroll back and find my other posts pretty easily.

Christ washed his disciples feet,he said also to feed ,the poor, visit the prisons,father the orphans, the sick as well.

Some are called to be this way.I would rather go and cut down a tree fir the lost then sit in church in this time of my life. They might ask,why? Because I care and yoi have a need,and the love of God compels me to care.

Christ washed his disciples feet,he said also to feed ,the poor, visit the prisons,father the orphans, the sick as well.

Some are called to be this way.I would rather go and cut down a tree fir the lost then sit in church in this time of my life. They might ask,why? Because I care and yoi have a need,and the love of God compels me to care.
Besides helping them keeps me from thinking about my problems.

Besides helping them keeps me from thinking about my problems.
No kidding. Just when I think I have it difficult, God introduces me to someone who has it far, far worse. Then He says, "Help them." Like my friend who was dying of cancer. All he wanted was for me to visit. I did. He couldn't talk so I just sat there and we watched football together. A few weeks later he died. Others visited too. It means a lot. It was also encouraging to his wife to have others visit. And what did I do? Basically nothing. I just spent time with him.

I think the Bible is written so as to speak to the genuine seeker in the moment of their greatest need. Full of parables, metaphor, idioms, and allegories as well, it both affords opportunity to learn how to see beyond what the world tells us is real and all consuming. While also giving us a personal one on one with God if we care to commit to introspection and find the spirit there.

I had an elderly neighbor, in her 80's. She was a widow. She needed care for some things but mostly she could do for herself. She couldn't shovel her own walk or mow her own lawn.

The Bible says this: James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Matthew 10:42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is My disciple, truly I tell you, he will never lose his reward.”

Galatians 5:13 For you, brothers, were called to freedom; but do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh. Rather, serve one another in love.

When Jesus washed the feet of the Disciples he said this: John13:12b and following: .....“Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

It's not about the mowing of someone's lawn unless that is what the situation calls for. I've never mowed anyone's lawn since that lady. I just felt a tug towards helping here with that small act. We are not just called to simply have compassion. We are called to action. Compassion is meaningless without actions that follow.

I agree. It's not about cutting someone's lawn. It's about having compassion and showing mercy. The Samaritan had compassion on the man who fell among robbers. He bound his wounds, and he took care of him. Compare that to cutting someone's lawn. I also understand the compassion you felt for this lady. Did you take her into your house? Did you take care of her?

I agree. It's not about cutting someone's lawn. It's about having compassion and showing mercy. The Samaritan had compassion on the man who fell among robbers. He bound his wounds, and he took care of him. Compare that to cutting someone's lawn. I also understand the compassion you felt for this lady. Did you take her into your house? Did you take care of her?
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Cutting someone's lawn is an act of kindness.
Somewhere it says: "Love is patient, love is kind..." (1Cor 13)and Jesus said that loving God and your neighbor are the two greatest commandments. (Luk 10:25-28)

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. No sniveling! Enjoy the rest of your life here and the eternal one to come.

First a warning, don't mock the positions others share. Saying you will laugh at what someone believes is uncharatible and I'm not allowing that sort of thing on these boards. Find another way to disagree.

Second, it's not seeking the approval of men to help someone in need. I believe we are called by God to serve others in love. This is what Jesus taught. It's not the only thing we're to do, but it's important.

Right. But mowing a lawn, presumably to give it a nice appearance, is not exactly a need we should be concerned with. Feeding the poor, visiting orphans and widows, I agree.

The lady had a home of her own. She got around quite well in the home. Plus there were other neighbor ladies that were there to help too. I was the yard guy. It's not a big deal that I helped with that. I mowed my lawn and here's was right next door and so I just mowed hers then too. As for shoveling sidewalks, that's what we did in Minnesota for our neighbors. If we had a snowblower, we'd clear off everybody's walk (it was actually fun - you know, a guy toy). My wife and I visited her most everyday. My kids were small then and they'd visit too. She was often sitting on her porch knitting. She also had a daughter that visited regularly. It's been well over 40 years since she died so it's all a little sketchy. Basically here was a need, we could meet it, so we did. This, I believe, is how we should live our lives.

I know of an atheist that came to faith just because of the kindness shown her by a Christian couple. They were fencing instructors and she was a student. After a while the student began asking questions and that led to sharing their faith. Over time, the atheist began to believe in a God, then in GOD, and then in Christ. She wrote the book, "Not God's Type."

But again, it's really now about mowing the lawn. It's like you said: "It's about having compassion and showing mercy. " That's really what it's all about. Mowing her lawn was just one small way of doing just that.

Back