Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Bible: Written to us, or for us?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

researcher

The greetings of the letters.

Rom 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
Rom 1:7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

1Co 1:1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
1Co 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

2Co 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:

Gal 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)
Gal 1:2 And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia:

Eph 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Php 1:1 Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:

Col 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother,
Col 1:2 To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

1Th 1:1 Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
2Th 1:1 Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:

1Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;
1Ti 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

2Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,
2Ti 1:2 To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

Titus 1:1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;
Titus 1:4 To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

Phm 1:1 Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer,
Phm 1:2 And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the church in thy house:

Jas 1:1 James, a slave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes in the Dispersion, greeting:

1Pe 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the elect sojourners of the dispersion of Pontus, of Galatia, of Cappadocia, of Asia, and of Bithynia,

2Jn 1:1 The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth;

3Jn 1:1 The elder to Gaius the beloved, whom I love in truth.

Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Written both to... us, and for... us.

Who can believe on Christ Jesus as The Saviour without first hearing the Witness of The Gospel as recorded by His Apostles? That hearing is either by one called to preach it, or by our reading it directly in God's Word and God giving us understanding. And since The Gospel Message weaves within ALL Books of The Bible, it is all about The Gospel, and meant for all believers.

One can always try to argue that specific parts of The Bible were meant only for those to whom it was addressed, but that's fallacy, since The Gospel Message is contained in all Bible Books.

Ret said:
researcher said:
Do you have thoughts on the difference between 'to us' and/or 'for us'...?

To: Who it's addressed to
For: Can you use the information

Example of "to:"

1Co 1:1 From Paul, who was called by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus,
1Co 1:2 To the church of God which is in Corinth,

1Co 7:25 Now, concerning what you wrote about unmarried people: I do not have a command from the Lord, but I give my opinion as one who by the Lord's mercy is worthy of trust.
1Co 7:26 Considering the present distress, I think it is better for a man to stay as he is.
1Co 7:27 Do you have a wife? Then don't try to get rid of her. Are you unmarried? Then don't look for a wife.
1Co 7:28 But if you do marry, you haven't committed a sin; and if an unmarried woman marries, she hasn't committed a sin. But I would rather spare you the everyday troubles that married people will have.
1Co 7:29 What I mean, my friends, is this: there is not much time left, and from now on married people should live as though they were not married;

From Paul, to the church in Corinth. Subject: marriage. Paul's belief: If you can, don't get married, and act like you aren't married because of our present situation (distress).

the Bible was written for us and to us.

John 17:20-21, “Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.â€

I Thessalonians 2:13, “For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.â€

II Timothy 3:16-17, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.â€

John 12:48, “He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.â€

DarcyLu said:
the Bible was written for us and to us.

John 17:20-21, “Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.â€

I Thessalonians 2:13, “For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.â€

II Timothy 3:16-17, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.â€

John 12:48, “He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.â€

2Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,
2Ti 1:2 To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
2Ti 4:13 The cloak that I left at Troas with Carpus, bring when thou comest, and the books, especially the parchments.

Was this written to Timothy, or someone else?

If to someone else, can they bring Paul his cloak and books?

researcher said:
2Ti 4:13 The cloak that I left at Troas with Carpus, bring when thou comest, and the books, especially the parchments.

:biglaugh
if you are sitting in a classroom and the teacher tells the students to turn off their cell phones, he is speaking to those who have a cell phone however when he begins his lecture, he's speaking to the entire classroom.
same with the Word, when Jesus and the apostles are speaking - it's lecture time, it is to us and for us, can we distinguish pertinent information?

DarcyLu said:
researcher said:

:biglaugh
if you are sitting in a classroom and the teacher tells the students to turn off their cell phones, he is speaking to those who have a cell phone however when he begins his lecture, he's speaking to the entire classroom.
same with the Word, when Jesus and the apostles are speaking - it's lecture time, it is to us and for us, can we distinguish pertinent information?
Lol. Good analogy. :)

I'm talking more of audience relevance/time constraints/periods etc. such as...

Mat 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitudes and to his disciples,
Mat 23:2 saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses seat:
Mat 23:3 all things therefore whatsoever they bid you, these do and observe: but do not ye after their works; for they say, and do not.

The Pharisees and scribes taught the Law. Should we seek out people who teach the Law and do it? (lol)

researcher said:

Mat 23:3 all things therefore whatsoever they bid you, these do and observe: but do not ye after their works; for they say, and do not.

The Pharisees and scribes taught the Law. Should we seek out people who teach the Law and do it? (lol)
no, and we wouldn't have to look very far some are right here on the forum :lol , more along the lines of when Jesus and the apostles were teaching, lecturing, inspiring, etc. that is for us today, the actual audience was, of course the Jewish people, Gentiles, etc, but God had us in mind when it was written.

I believe that those who have 'ears to hear' will respond to whatever the Spirit says - whether written specifically to them or for them. Since the Spirit that dwells within me is the same Spirit that inspired others to write scripture, it is the Spirit that quickens it to me - as and when appropriate.

researcher said:
Ret said:
researcher said:

Similar to mutzrien's comments..The Bible Written TO or FOR us depends on the one who has ears and hears what the spirit says...

DarcyLu said:
researcher said:

no, and we wouldn't have to look very far some are right here on the forum :lol , more along the lines of when Jesus and the apostles were teaching, lecturing, inspiring, etc. that is for us today, the actual audience was, of course the Jewish people, Gentiles, etc, but God had us in mind when it was written.

Lol. I believe i've met them already. Lol. lol

mutzrein said:
I believe that those who have 'ears to hear' will respond to whatever the Spirit says - whether written specifically to them or for them. Since the Spirit that dwells within me is the same Spirit that inspired others to write scripture, it is the Spirit that quickens it to me - as and when appropriate.

Good answer. :biggrin

Ret said:
researcher said:
Ret said:
researcher said:

Similar to mutzrien's comments..The Bible Written TO or FOR us depends on the one who has ears and hears what the spirit says...

:thumb Absolutely.

Written to some other people, but for us also.

2Ti 2:7 Consider what I say; for the Lord shall give thee understanding in all things.

1Jn 2:27 And as for you, the anointing which ye received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any one teach you; but as his anointing teacheth you; concerning all things, and is true, and is no lie, and even as it taught you, ye abide in him.

Php 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back