Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Book of Life

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Considering that the English language did not exist back then, what language are our names written in.

The Book of Life and the Lamb's Book of Life are the same book.I used to feel differently but now I have changed my mind because of Scripture.There are eight references in the New Testament to the book of life and two of them say that the book of life belongs to the lamb,Jesus Christ.
Psalm 69:28 refers to the book of the living.Now this is a different book.

The Book of Life and the Lamb's Book of Life are the same book.I used to feel differently but now I have changed my mind because of Scripture.There are eight references in the New Testament to the book of life and two of them say that the book of life belongs to the lamb,Jesus Christ.
Psalm 69:28 refers to the book of the living.Now this is a different book.

Could you please explain the difference? How do the Book of Life and the Book of the Living differ and what is the purpose for each?

Could you please explain the difference? How do the Book of Life and the Book of the Living differ and what is the purpose for each?
The book of the living is all of those who have been born on Earth from the beginning of time.The Book of Life is all of those who are saved and will be going to heaven.Obviously all of those who have been born on Earth will not be in the Book of Life because all of them will not be going to heaven.

If that is true, why does Jesus make reference to "blotting" names from the Book?

Just asking.
Gary, can you show me. Thanks. I am no expert on this particular topic but I don't see how it would be that you would start off in the book. Somehow I don't see God with an eraser (as noted previously) erasing individual names from the book. At what point would he start erasing? It just makes more sense to me that he writes your name in the book once you accept him and that's it. Please enlighten though if I am off track. Thanks!

Gary, can you show me. Thanks. I am no expert on this particular topic but I don't see how it would be that you would start off in the book. Somehow I don't see God with an eraser (as noted previously) erasing individual names from the book. At what point would he start erasing? It just makes more sense to me that he writes your name in the book once you accept him and that's it. Please enlighten though if I am off track. Thanks!
God would sure need a huge eraser would He? :lol

Psalm 69:28 Let them be erased out of the book of the living; let them not be enrolled among the righteous.

Revelation 3:5 The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never erase out the name of that person from the book of life, but will acknowledge that name before my Father and his angels.

Revelation 3
5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

Ok, let's break this down and see what it's saying.

He who overcomes.......shall be clothed in white garments......."AND".......I will not blot his name from the Book of Life.....

Do you see the stipulation there? One must overcome before they are clothed in white garments. Paraphrasing here: "If you overcome, you will be clothed in white, and I will not blot you from the Book of Life".

If there wasn't a chance of God removing a name from the Book of Life, why would He make such a statement?

Study this passage. Look at what Christ says (in red) about the church of Sardis. He's not very happy with that church and He's warning them about what could and will happen if they don't straighten up. "If you overcome, I will not blot you from the book."

Christ is warning that church that some very bad things will happen to them if they don't straighten up. One of those things is being blotted from the Book of Life.

Revelation 3
1 “And to the angel of the church in Sardis write, ‘These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead.
2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God.
3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.
4 You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy.
5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
6 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’

I know this is kind of a mess. If you don't understand what I'm saying, ask me again. :yes

I give them eternal life and they shall never perish, no one will snatch them out of my hand. (John 10:28)

I give them eternal life and they shall never perish, no one will snatch them out of my hand. (John 10:28)

Removing a name from the Book of Life isn't someone being snatched from the hand of Jesus. It's Jesus letting that person go.

It makes a difference.......................................I think. :biggrin2

Last edited:
The book of the living is all of those who have been born on Earth from the beginning of time.

If the Book of the Living is just a record of births, why blot names from it? What purpose would that serve?

Our salvation is a gift from God. I don't see God taking back his gift. One of my favorite verses - "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works so that no one can boast". (Eph 2:8-9).

Our salvation is a gift from God. I don't see God taking back his gift. One of my favorite verses - "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works so that no one can boast". (Eph 2:8-9).

What does Christ mean when He says He'll come upon someone like a thief?

Revelation 3....(NKJV)
3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.

I personally think you're toast. If He catches you unaware, you're done. Do not pass go...

How does one get their name in the Book of Life?

reading.gif

By believing John 3:16

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back