Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Buddhas view of Homosexuality

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
S

Songuatama

Greetings everyone I am a new registrant to this community. I am a monk for a Buddhist temple in Taipei, Taiwan. Also pardon if you see any English grammar mistakes I mostly always speak Mandarin. Recently all of the temple monks were cohering that in some of the scripts written of the Buddha. It described how homosexuality is a thing some people are born with, and it would be dumb of humans to to take away their rights to do what is natural to then. We must do what we must to persevere.

Thank you, Taiwan

Songuatama said:
Greetings everyone I am a new registrant to this community. I am a monk for a Buddhist temple in Taipei, Taiwan. Also pardon if you see any English grammar mistakes I mostly always speak Mandarin. Recently all of the temple monks were cohering that in some of the scripts written of the Buddha. It described how homosexuality is a thing some people are born with, and it would be dumb of humans to to take away their rights to do what is natural to then. We must do what we must to persevere.

Thank you, Taiwan
Welcome to the forums! :)

I find it odd that Buddhism would say that homosexuals should be allowed to do what is natural to them and yet state that it is attachment to desires that causes suffering, since desires are precisely what comes naturally to everyone. Why should homosexuals be allowed to do what comes naturally regarding their sexuality but not be allowed to be greedy or slothful or lustful or skeptical?

Some scientists say that people are also born with genes that make them killers or alcoholics. If that is true, is it okay for those people to do what comes naturally?

i agree free, but here we go again on the gay thing, i have no desire to war again with those who believe what they believe, the Lord says it plainly it's a sin, and i wont argue against that at all. I will state the truth and if don't agree then its on you. I'll be praying for you, and wont browbeat my believes into you.

jason

Songuatama said:

Thank you, Taiwan

Please forgive me if I come across as rude, but do you have any of the scriptures available to post here. For I would like to see them. I will not lie to you, I am not Buddist, so I do not share those beliefs. According to the Bible....God does not like homosexuality. It is a sin. Not something inherited. However, I am open to see what others believe, even if I cannot share those same beliefs.

Try to be careful though, for if I am not mistaken promoting homosexuality is against the rules here at CF.

LostLamb said:
Songuatama said:

Thank you, Taiwan

Please forgive me if I come across as rude, but do you have any of the scriptures available to post here. For I would like to see them. I will not lie to you, I am not Buddhist, so I do not share those beliefs. According to the Bible....God does not like homosexuality. It is a sin. Not something inherited. However, I am open to see what others believe, even if I cannot share those same beliefs.

Try to be careful though, for if I am not mistaken promoting homosexuality is against the rules here at CF.
Buddhism has no set scriptures. The teachings of The Buddha have been written down by different followers and there are 2 major schools.

There are the Dharma dose exist but is more collections of advice then scripture. Buddhism borrowed allot from Hinduism, Taoism and Confucianism. Its a religion about finding truth and about reaching Machshaw.

You can still partake in earthly ways, but it shouldn't be your center.

I was under the impression Buddhism didn't have much to say specifically on the subject.

jasoncran said:
i agree free, but here we go again on the gay thing, i have no desire to war again with those who believe what they believe, the Lord says it plainly it's a sin, and i wont argue against that at all. I will state the truth and if don't agree then its on you. I'll be praying for you, and wont browbeat my believes into you.

jason

It also says it's plainly a sin to eat a cheeseburger, but I won't browbeat that since it's obviously not relevant to present day issues, right?

But if you disagree, then it's on you, I guess.

Sound Silence said:
I was under the impression Buddhism didn't have much to say specifically on the subject.

jasoncran said:

jason

It also says it's plainly a sin to eat a cheeseburger, but I won't browbeat that since it's obviously not relevant to present day issues, right?

But if you disagree, then it's on you, I guess.
uh, i used to be homosexual and know that it is a lie, and sin, the law of ot was fulffulled as far as the rituals. jesus said it is not goes in that makes you unclean but what comes out, see the vision of peter in acts dealing with going to corneliuis.

In the early 70's I used to chant the words ( Nam meo-ho ren-ge keo.) a friend of mine turned me on to it, so I would go to the meetings to chant, and then my dad's friend turned him on to it. I did it for almost 2 years off and on. It is weird and beautiful to hear the chant, when many are chanting it at one time, it is appealing, and it has drawing power. I now know that satan is behind it, but I did not know that then. We would chant to the (Gohonzon) which are sacred writings, and we would take our shoes off outside the door, and everyone would kneel down and chant (Nam meo-ho ren-ge keo), over and over in unison until it sounded like some of those horror movies where they are chanting something with millions of candles lit. And we were told that we could have any faith that we wanted and chanting would not interfere with it, if we were Christians, Muslims or what ever, because all you are chanting for is power.
For instance if we wanted something we would chant for it, and it is supposed to give you the energy to go get it. And when you did get up from a long chanting session, you did feel empowered, which I now know was satan.

Songuatama said:
It described how homosexuality is a thing some people are born with
This is the view of the Psychiatric community, the scientific community in general and most of the world, which is why anti gay legislation is put into place to prevent discrimination with severe penalties for those who do. Sexual Orientation is seen as a variation like skin colour, or hair colour. In fact it is seriously hypothesised that most of the people are bisexual on a continuum, with few at either end of the spectrum.
This is the view of Kinsey as well as the researchers William Masters and Virginia E. Johnson. Many people do not express their sexuality due to social sanctions.
My personal view is I think sex should be the result of love and not the cause of it.
yours
ÒõýþüäðýóÖ

venom please post that in the thread in safe school czar promotes homosexuality and you just proved my
point why we can't cherry pick the bible, whether one is "born" gay, or not it is still sin. and being celebate isnt the way either. The god of the innerent bible isnt to creating one to be gay and saying that it's evil and you cant do it, alcoholism is genetic and yet no one rightly would say that should be ok.

did i offend you? it wasnt meant too, i was a gay until, albeit, i back slidin to that sin until christ's power changed me. when i was young and until my deliverence i used to from time to time look at men's body parts, and then one day i was acting on it.. but that story is for another time

jason

Out of all topics this one tends to create the most emotions for some reason. There are places to discuss it of course but not on a Christian forum in my opinion. There are deep epistemological and ontological questions brought to bear, which unless understood by those discussing the issues leads to misunderstandings. I am not offended at all Jason, but sometimes in some situations it is advisable to steer clear of the rocks where the only probable solution is foundering.
yours
ÒõýþüäðýóÖ

VenomFangX said:
Out of all topics this one tends to create the most emotions for some reason. There are places to discuss it of course but not on a Christian forum in my opinion. There are deep epistemological and ontological questions brought to bear, which unless understood by those discussing the issues leads to misunderstandings. I am not offended at all Jason, but sometimes in some situations it is advisable to steer clear of the rocks where the only probable solution is foundering.
yours
ÒõýþüäðýóÖ
good to hear, but where esle should else we discuss, most christains are truly ignorant of the lbgt lifestyle and see it as sin, but have no clue on how to reach them

jason

Lewis W said:
In the early 70's I used to chant the words ( Nam meo-ho ren-ge keo.) a friend of mine turned me on to it, so I would go to the meetings to chant, and then my dad's friend turned him on to it. I did it for almost 2 years off and on. It is weird and beautiful to hear the chant, when many are chanting it at one time, it is appealing, and it has drawing power. I now know that satan is behind it, but I did not know that then. We would chant to the (Gohonzon) which are sacred writings, and we would take our shoes off outside the door, and everyone would kneel down and chant (Nam meo-ho ren-ge keo), over and over in unison until it sounded like some of those horror movies where they are chanting something with millions of candles lit. And we were told that we could have any faith that we wanted and chanting would not interfere with it, if we were Christians, Muslims or what ever, because all you are chanting for is power.
For instance if we wanted something we would chant for it, and it is supposed to give you the energy to go get it. And when you did get up from a long chanting session, you did feel empowered, which I now know was satan.
The purpose of the Chants/Mantras are to clear your mind. There is no magic in them. Key points to both Hinduism and Buhhdism is reaching enlightenment/ turning off your wandering mind.

The meditation/ chanting proces's purpose it to quiet the mind and reach complete knowledge of yourself. Buhhda isn't a deity so you aren't praying to anything while doing the chants. The empowerment feeling you felt was probably from being able to get your mind off your problems for a little while and being able to focus on just being. ;)

The purpose of the Chants/Mantras are to clear your mind. There is no magic in them. Key points to both Hinduism and Buhhdism is reaching enlightenment/ turning off your wandering mind.

The meditation/ chanting proces's purpose it to quiet the mind and reach complete knowledge of yourself. Buhhda isn't a deity so you aren't praying to anything while doing the chants. The empowerment feeling you felt was probably from being able to get your mind off your problems for a little while and being able to focus on just being. ;)

Hm...this may be slightly off-topic but this statement has made me curious.
Is it possible for someone to be both a Christian and a Buddhist at the same time?
Buddhism doesn't require a belief in any non-Christian gods, and as far as I can tell doesn't forbid belief in any particular gods, including the God in Christianity.

Reido said:

Hm...this may be slightly off-topic but this statement has made me curious.
Is it possible for someone to be both a Christian and a Buddhist at the same time?
Buddhism doesn't require a belief in any non-Christian gods, and as far as I can tell doesn't forbid belief in any particular gods, including the God in Christianity.
You technically can't. Buhdism is a form of Pantheism. It dose take a belief in reincarnation and that you cn reach divinity. Also Pantheism is a very broad term and in its basic form means that all is god, meaning you are god, a rock is god, the feeling of breath is god, everything. Mediation brings you to enlightenment and many try to reach this so they can realise their own divinity.

God/ Jesus can't be superseded, so the aspect of clearing your mind can be taken, but not the whole speal. Its an interesting reliong, and I once considered joining it. Then I found out eating meat was looked down upon. I like my steak so I'll just leave it at that. :lol

Lance_Iguana said:
You technically can't. Buhdism is a form of Pantheism. It dose take a belief in reincarnation and that you cn reach divinity. Also Pantheism is a very broad term and in its basic form means that all is god, meaning you are god, a rock is god, the feeling of breath is god, everything. Mediation brings you to enlightenment and many try to reach this so they can realise their own divinity.

God/ Jesus can't be superseded, so the aspect of clearing your mind can be taken, but not the whole speal. Its an interesting reliong, and I once considered joining it. Then I found out eating meat was looked down upon. I like my steak so I'll just leave it at that. :lol

Ah, I see. That's right. I should have known that, I've studied both Buddhism and Christianity a bit. Oops, I guess I just wasn't thinking. :shrug
It's an interesting concept, I think. A Christian Buddhist...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back