Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Case for Christ

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
B

baylok

Anybody read this? I bought it the other day and plan to start into it pretty soon. Does Strobel do a good job, or is he biased one way or another from the outset? Also, is his "A Case for Faith" good?

I read it about a year ago. I thought it was well written. I think he was biased towards Christianity prior to asking his questions. It seemed like ANY objection to the historical proof of Jesus is automatically refuted as without merit or evidence. I think there is PLENTY of evidence for the Jesus Christ of the Bible, and I think that those who do not believe in some of the things that the Bible claims have a couple of footholds. I think the evidence FOR Jesus, though, outweighs significantly the evidence against Jesus. And that may be Strobel's point, anyway. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I haven't read A Case For Faith.

I prefer C.S. Lewis's books, since he was an atheist - he eloquently describes his conversion process in Surpised by Joy, and others.

Thanks WiLdAtHeArT, I'll be sure to add CS Lewis (especially the book mentioned) to the "Things to remember to look for in the bookstore" list I am compiling.

Now, if I can only remember to bring the list with me when I go to the store...

I think A Case for Faith is the better of the two books. Both books are very one-sided as Strobel only interviews Christian scholars who support his viewpoint and doesn't include any detractors.

The Case for Christ is largely about historical evidence, and while I agree with most of the conclusions, I don't think Strobel is vigorous enough in his presentation. If you are using this book for witnessing, I think atheists will be able to poke holes in much of it.

The Case for Faith, on the other hand, is more philosphical. Strobel presents good answers to tought questions Christians face such as how a loving God can send people to Hell or how God is not responsible for evil.

They're both good books worth reading. He also just came out with a new book called The Case for a Creator. I'm probably going to pick this up soon

cubedbee said:
I think A Case for Faith is the better of the two books. Both books are very one-sided as Strobel only interviews Christian scholars who support his viewpoint and doesn't include any detractors.

The Case for Christ is largely about historical evidence, and while I agree with most of the conclusions, I don't think Strobel is vigorous enough in his presentation. If you are using this book for witnessing, I think atheists will be able to poke holes in much of it.

The Case for Faith, on the other hand, is more philosphical. Strobel presents good answers to tought questions Christians face such as how a loving God can send people to Hell or how God is not responsible for evil.

They're both good books worth reading. He also just came out with a new book called The Case for a Creator. I'm probably going to pick this up soon

First, I've read both books.

Cubedbee, the Case for Christ was written while Strobel was still an atheist. He was doing what your doing now, testing Christianity to see how viable it is. He wanted to know why us Christians, believe that Christ is our savior. He approached the search already convinced that God was worthless, and that there was no way he existed. When he was done the evidence was clear, Christ is the Messiah. Unless you are willing to read that book with an unbiased mind, the facts will still mean nothing to you.

I'm glad that you find his books worth reading. May I suggest some C.S. Lewis, who was also an atheist before he found that Christ really was the Savior.

I have read all of his "Case for Christ", "Case for Faith" and now "The Case for a Creator". I believe the last one is the best of the three.

What is useful is to see the men he interviews and then go to the references, directly, of the works which those men have produced.

For instance, he often quotes William (Bill) Lane Craig. Read Craig directly. He is very good.

In this latest book, he also interviews Michael Behe and Stephen Meyer. I had not read anything by Stepen Meyer before this.

JP Moreland is one of the leading philosophers and Christian apologists today. A bit heavy but wonderful to read.

:)

I'm fairly new to this Idea of reading. I guess I'll have to start reading some more interesting things than the x-men. :-D

my friend has "A Case for Creation" and he really enjoys it, says its good reading. I hope I can borrow it from him someday:-D

I have read all of Lee Strobel’s books (The Case for Christ, [/I]The Case for Faith[/I], [/I]The Case for a Creator[/I]) and would recommend them to anyone.

I haven’t read Lee Strobel’s The Case for Easter thou, anyone read that one, if so what did you think?

Oh yeeah...I have also read C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity and would recommend that book as well.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back