Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Christian Woman & Her Wardrobe

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The thing is lust occur regardless of how one is dressed.

People imagine all sorts about people they've never met like over the internet!

That's why I said it's more about people's thoughts then people's dress.

I think this is where Christianty and Islam differ. Islam puts 99% of the responsibility and blame on the woman and under islamic law there are beatings for women that show any flesh.

In Christianty, the responsibility seems to be 50/50, the expectations are reasonable, and there is no punishment ordered for a woman that may dress inappropriately. And if a man lusts, then that is his sin. God does not point to the woman. We see from Adam and Eve, God expects each to own up to their own responsibility. He does not accept passing the blame.

So God expects a man to control himself and He expects a woman to dress reasonably. In Proverbs it speaks of the woman dressing in beautiful purple, the color of royalty. God is not against a woman dressing up and being beautiful. He is just wanting her to maintain her reputation and dignity. If she dresses like a bimbo, people will talk about her like a bimbo. She loses respect. God wants a woman to have her respect and dignity. He wants her to carry herself in a way that brings praise and honor to her name as the Proverbs 31 woman received praise.

Therefore, I find God`s Word to be very reasonable. He does not say a woman must be covered from head to toe, even her face and eyes. He simply says a woman should dress modestly. That is reasonable and good for a woman socially as well as career wise. It is just good common sense. Moreover, I think the use of the word "modestly" as opposed to a strict description of how a woman should dress, was used to allow for some flexability through time. For example a very modest woman today would look like a harlot in the Pilgram`s time. But a woman dressed like a Pilgram would be odd in today`s society. So God allows for flexability in fashion and culture. This is reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is where Christianty and Islam differ. Islam puts 99% of the responsibility and blame on the woman and under islamic law there are beatings for women that show any flesh.

In Christianty, the responsibility seems to be 50/50, the expectations are reasonable, and there is no punishment ordered for a woman that may dress inappropriately. And if a man lusts, then that is his sin. God does not point to the woman. We see from Adam and Eve, God expects each to own up to their own responsibility. He does not accept passing the blame.

So God expects a man to control himself and He expects a woman to dress reasonably. In Proverbs it speaks of the woman dressing in beautiful purple, the color of royalty. God is not against a woman dressing up and being beautiful. He is just wanting her to maintain her reputation and dignity. If she dresses like a bimbo, people will talk about her like a bimbo. She loses respect. God wants a woman to have her respect and dignity. He wants her to carry herself in a way that brings praise and honor to her name as the Proverbs 31 woman received praise.

Therefore, I find God`s Word to be very reasonable. He does not say a woman must be covered from head to toe, even her face and eyes. He simply says a woman should dress modestly. That is reasonable and good for a woman socially as well as career wise. It is just good common sense. Moreover, I think the use of the word "modestly" as opposed to a strict description of how a woman should dress, was used to allow for some flexibility through time. For example a very modest woman today would look like a harlot in the Pilgrim`s time. But a woman dressed like a Pilgrim would be odd in today`s society. So God allows for flexability in fashion and culture. This is reasonable.
:clap :clap :clap :clap
That is about as well-stated as you could make it. And you have written an EXCELLENT defense of Christianity in general.

(It just needed reformatting to make it readable!)

:clap :clap :clap :clap
That is about as well-stated as you could make it. And you have written an EXCELLENT defense of Christianity in general.

(It just needed reformatting to make it readable!)

Thank you and you are right that my post needed to be reformatted. I editted it as you suggested, and it looks much nicer and is easier to read!

pjt:

You mean like, always flat heels, uncut hair, never any moisturizer or blusher, no earrings, etc?

(Anyway my wife doesn't feel dressed until she's 'put on her face'.)

...as soon as Adam and Eve were covered up, that's when the problem began.

And this is why we should all be nudists. (Oh I just couldn't resist the opportunity to pour gasoline on a fire!!!!:biggrin)

...so that we Christian women aren't forced to feel like we have to dress in a burka so as not to "cause lust"...

Actually I was reading a report a while ago (and this time I'm being serious) about rape and other sexual assaults. It turns out that when the investigators were able to get true numbers for assaulted women from all walks of life (not just the number of police reports, which do not represent reality), countries that have very lax, non conservative dress standards also had the lowest incidents of sexual assault against women as well as being the most progressive in areas of women's rights, etc. Countries that had the strictest standards (Muslim areas, etc) had the most sexual assaults against women and were by far the most abusive of women in general. So, sorry to say, if a guy wants to lust after you, it doesn't look like that burka is going to stop him!:biggrin

pjt:

You mean like, always flat heels, uncut hair, never any moisturizer or blusher, no earrings, etc?

(Anyway my wife doesn't feel dressed until she's 'put on her face'.)

No. The ideas of modesty changes with the times as I mentioned with the Pilgrams vs today`s standards. So we can move with the times, but one thing that does not change is dressing seductively or showing too much flesh or revealing too much body with tight clothes.

Now a woman can dress as seductively as she likes in the bedroom with her husband but out in public should be where a line is drawn. And a single girl has no business dressing seductively since fornication is wrong.

The wonderful thing about God is He does not suppress a woman`s sexuality. Part of the way a woman expresses her sexuality is through the way she makes herself up and that is not condemned by God. Think of Sarah, so beautiful that Abraham tells her to say she is his sister so he will not be killed and her taken. He did not tell her to cover her beauty or make herself ugly. She was allowed to be beautiful. Job`s daughters were allowed to be beautiful and express their beauty. The Pr. 31 woman and Esther were allowed to show their beauty, and God was pleased with these women. God is the One that made them beautiful. The beauty of a woman is a good, Godly thing as long as it is not corrupted.

To hide the beauty is like hiding a flower. What`s the point of that? God allows a woman to be beautiful but in a modest, respectable way. I think within each culture there is a general understanding of what modesty is in clothes and makeup. So I think you know what modesty looks like.

No. The ideas of modesty changes with the times as I mentioned with the Pilgrams vs today`s standards. So we can move with the times, but one thing that does not change is dressing seductively or showing too much flesh or revealing too much body with tight clothes.

Now a woman can dress as seductively as she likes in the bedroom with her husband but out in public should be where a line is drawn. And a single girl has no business dressing seductively since fornication is wrong.

The wonderful thing about God is He does not suppress a woman`s sexuality. Part of the way a woman expresses her sexuality is through the way she makes herself up and that is not condemned by God. Think of Sarah, so beautiful that Abraham tells her to say she is his sister so he will not be killed and her taken. He did not tell her to cover her beauty or make herself ugly. She was allowed to be beautiful. Job`s daughters were allowed to be beautiful and express their beauty. The Pr. 31 woman and Esther were allowed to show their beauty, and God was pleased with these women. God is the One that made them beautiful. The beauty of a woman is a good, Godly thing as long as it is not corrupted.

To hide the beauty is like hiding a flower. What`s the point of that? God allows a woman to be beautiful but in a modest, respectable way. I think within each culture there is a general understanding of what modesty is in clothes and makeup. So I think you know what modesty looks like.

pjl:

I guess this is kind of what I was thinking, more or less. Like, not necessary always to have flat heels, etc.

Your comment is very thoughtful.

Thank you and you are right that my post needed to be reformatted. I editted it as you suggested, and it looks much nicer and is easier to read!

It is! I hope the idea catches on around here (some of us have old eyes and while using a big font is not needed - some line breaks make it easier!) :thumbsup

Again, THAT WAS A POST!

Should women always be held accountable for man's weaknesses ?

The problem is with the men that lust. They are the ones that are unholy. Dressing up or down does not make women more or less holy.

But showing cleavage in church is out of line ! .. :nono .. :shame

Women should dress appropriately and decently in Church so as not to cause men to stumble.

I agree to a point, men do need to hold themselves accountable for their lust.

BUT women also have to understand that they are not to dress indecently!

This is a huge reason why I believe God tells women to cover their heads in church, so as to draw attention away from their beauty, and to help the men focus on Christ. (God MADE US beautiful! I believe that we shouldn't cover ourselves completely as the Muslims do, because that is simply hiding all the beauty that God gave us. there is a difference between being beautiful in a godly way and being beautiful in a worldly way, I might add. Being beautiful in a godly way is so much more than outer appearance, for outer beauty fades away with time, but inner beauty will never fade. inner beauty is simply having a strong, growing relationship wit God.)

Men are ALWAYS going to have those thought in their minds, it is the sinful nature of man. Therefore men need to train themselves to keep their thoughts wholly on Christ.
Women are also going to need to dress decently so as to not make it even MORE of a temptation to the men!
this is a TWO WAY JOB!

that is all :)

I don`t want to side track this thread on whether women should cover their heads or not, but I would like to address why the Bible says a woman is to cover her head in prayer and prophesying. According to the Bible, it is not to cover her beauty. God made the woman beautiful. It is His art and gift which should not be hidden or disguised. God never says to hide the beauty of His creation. All beauty in His creation is made to be enjoyed. The Bible says the reason the woman`s head is to be covered is to illustrate her husband is her head just as Christ is the head of the husband.

"<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=8 width="80%" bgColor=#ffffff BODY>
"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. .... Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God." 1 Corinthians 11:3-6; 13-16

<TBODY></TBODY>
</TABLE>

I haven't read the whole thread as it is so long.
Just have a little anecdote.
I worked in Saudi Arabia 15 years ago and managed to get to a local market with a married couple. Photos not allowed but I managed a couple of sneaky ones. I have a photo of a Muslim woman who was 100% covered, you could just see her high heels. There is something about her that just oozes sexuality.
Goes to show that covering completely is not the answer.
Cheers
Judy

I haven't read the whole thread as it is so long.
Just have a little anecdote.
I worked in Saudi Arabia 15 years ago and managed to get to a local market with a married couple. Photos not allowed but I managed a couple of sneaky ones. I have a photo of a Muslim woman who was 100% covered, you could just see her high heels. There is something about her that just oozes sexuality.
Goes to show that covering completely is not the answer.
Cheers
Judy

And that is exactly why it was not God`s answer! It may be another god`s answer but not our all knowing God!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back