Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Diety of Christ/Jesus is God: An Approach for Skeptics

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

cyberjosh

It is well known that there are participants on this board which deny that Jesus is God and some do so on more Biblical pretenses than we realize, simply because they look for explicit mention of Jesus saying he was God, and in such things they are indeed in the right to be cautious, but I put forth that they guard too much to their own detriment in that they blind themselves to many otherwise obvious implications and conclusions drawn from the text itself, not to mention even, yes indeed, explicit references to Jesus as God.

I will try to take a different approach than has been taken in the past (atleast for an OP) and attempt to preemptively address the claims of those who believe Jesus is not God. This will be lengthy, in which I will divide this into several posts, on account of the multitudinous errors and misconceptions which abound with this issue. A short list of common objections follows:

#1 There is no reference to Jesus as being God in the NT, nor a suggestion of it.
#2 Jesus is called 'son', and thus it is to be taken in the strictest sense of offspring, as being seperate from God.
#3 (Tied to #2 above) Jesus being "begotten" proves he was created and not pre-existant.
#4 Jesus' subordinate role to the Father shows Jesus is not to be honored as God.
#5 Jesus helped/helps the Father with such things as Creation, Salvation, Ruling, etc. but yet is not equivalent to God.
#6 Jesus is not equivalent to the Logos.
#7 Jesus never calls himself God, so he must not be God.

#1 The claim that there is no reference to Jesus as being God is a false one. For the particular objection of Jesus never calling himself God see #7. Now there are two rather obvious and well known instances in the Gospels in which people refer to Jesus as God, or strongly suggest it, and both are in the Gospel of John. The first is located in two places, two occasions of similar incident, in which the Jews saw Jesus was making himself equal to God in John 5:18 and John 10:33. The second is when Thomas calls Jesus God. Beyond these two narrative form instances of calling Jesus God, the Epistles more than once refer to Jesus as Lord and God, which skeptics often overlook because they do not understand the basics of Greek grammar & syntax in the form of the Granville Sharp Rule, which stands unrefuted in its field and is used in all forms of Greek writing, not just as some "tool" for NT exegesis alone.

Now the instances where the Jews saw Jesus was making himself as God will bear some looking at. In the context of John 5:18 Jesus has been giving authoritative statements on the Sabbath and doing works on the Sabbath with authority and justifying it by saying that He must be about his Father's business since His "Father has been working until now" (vs. 17). Then the Gospel of John makes a phenomenal interpretation and explanation for those who the implications of Jesus actions might be lost on, and indeed the Jews understood the Biblical implications of what Jesus did and said and displayed himself to be more than most of us do today, by then saying as a matter of fact, "He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God". This is not a statement saying, "The Jews thought he was making himself equal with God" but that rather "He was making himself equal with God". This point will also be important in evaluating #7 in that the equation of calling God his Father implies not created subordination but rather eternal equality, thus showing the common conception of the Jesus's Sonship to His Father as being disunified in nature as God is indeed false.
The second instance the Jews said with their own mouth, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God" (John 10:33). Jesus then makes a clever remark which avoids the direct assertion by showing a limited scope example where in the Book of Psalms God spoke to rulers (in specific) and called them 'gods' (elohim), and in so doing made the Jews reevaluate the basis of their assertions. Jesus averted direct assertions, accusations, or questions more than once such as with his reply to the people with the issue in the stoning of the adulteress, and when the man approached Jesus and called him 'good' without evaluating what he really was confessing of Jesus (thus he countered 'Why callest me thou good? Only one is good' - not a denial that he really was good, but a forcing of reevaluation of what the man said), etc, etc... Jesus was skilled and wise in the making of such responses that dig beneath the surface and deal with other issues that needed to be dealt with first, above the immediate direct assertions.

The Jews also were correct in their interpretation of the implications of Jesus forgiving a man's sin, "Who is this man who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" (Luke 5:21), and indeed we shall see it consistantly throughout this topic that Jesus would be the chiefest of blasphemies on all counts if he were not God with the level of worship, praise, and dedication given to Christ in the Scriptures and which we presently give him, and which he will ultimately be given in Glory. He would be the chiefest of counterfits in Glory of God who said, "I will not give my Glory to another" who by being the summation of all things (Ephesians 1:10-11) would be the biggest idol and detraction from God of all. And most importantly we shall also see that we do not have a transparent Jesus can can be used and seen only as a means to the Father, when infact our Chief pursuit in life (as it was Paul's) should indeed be knowledge of Jesus, in his person, not just what he has done for us.
As for this instance in the Gospel of Luke we see also that the power to forgive sin lies with God alone. When challenged he asked which was easier: to heal or to forgive sins, and they could answer neither because both were by the power of God alone. The power given to the disciples however was different in nature in that the Spirit relegated that authority by Christ upon them, through Jesus only did they have the right or ability (and the "right to become sons of God" [John 1:12]), for he gave them that ability and commisioned them for it. Their ability to forgive on earth and it be forgiven in heaven is not a justificationary forgiveness but a covering over and amending of wrongs among men, not among man and God, which Jesus alone does as our High Priest. Such a function of man's covering of sins is seen in James 5:20, "Let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins". By bringing them to Christ they are given credit for amending their past sins, on the basis of the consequent forgiveness and reconcillation of God to man, which the Apostles could not claim credit for. But they are accredited the saving of such a soul from destruction by turning them aside to the source of salvation.

Continued below...

Lastly (for the Gospels), the hotbed issue of Thomas' confession of Jesus as God. Here we shall see how literal readers of the Bible we are when reading this inspired entrance in the text (meaning it was included for a reason when it could have been excluded). Thomas is seen in light of overcoming doubt at Jesus' ressurection and coming to believe in it. After he made his confession Jesus' response contextually was "Blessed are those who did not see, yet believed" (John 20:29). It was belief Jesus reacted to not the confession, nor did he deny it nor reprove him for it, just as he did not deny his Disciples other claims about him as when Peter confessed him as the Son of God, and when the disciples worshiped him when he got into the boat with them on one occasion. His response to doubting Thomas was tender in encouraging belief saying, "do not be unbelieving, but believing" (vs. 27). Thomas' confession upon believing stands uncommented on and bare testimony, unrefuted, "My Lord and my God" (vs. 28). On that note I will make another point which is important in understanding all of John various records (which I just covered above) of Jesus being called God, and that is that John was more than able to comment for clarification if he wanted to prevent misunderstanding on the issue of Jesus being called God. Infact right after Thomas' confession John ends his Gospel saying that all these thing have been written that they might believe, not that they may be confused as to Jesus' person. And John then there after actually makes a clarification on what Jesus did and did not say about his own life to Peter, saying, "Therefore this saying went out among the brethren that that disciple would not die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but only, "If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you?". He could easily have clarified such an important issue of Jesus being God by saying "Therefore this saying went out among the brethren that that Jesus was God; yet Jesus did not say..." and then have clarified something blatantly important. If John was concerned about people not thinking he would never die, how much more important do you think it would be for his readers to undertstand if the one who just died and rose again was not God in the flesh?

John offers it to us plain, but are you simple enough of faith to recieve it as given?

_________

Now for my favorite section: discussion of the Granville Sharp Rule and how it applies to New Testament exegesis. Granville Sharp was born on November 10, 1735, son of the prolific religious writer Thomas Sharp and being raised in the interest of the Scriptures he endeavored to discover the meaning of the NT in the Greek and so trained himself in that he discovered a monumental finding of the Greek Language that has stood to this day. In it's technical terms as stated in his own words, it is as follows, "When the copulative kai connects two nouns of the same case, if the article ho, or any of its cases, precedes the first of the said nouns or participles, and is not repeated before the second noun or participle, the latter always relates to the same person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle . . . .†(Sharp, Remarks on the Uses of the Definitive Article, 2).

As Wikipedia notes this indeed does not hold true for all cases of plurals, yet it actually does hold true for some plurals. Its field in which it star though is when both nouns are in the singular in which Wikipedia rightly and amazingly notes,

"Granville Sharp’s rule number one, concerning the SINGULAR nouns, is unique in its consistency. After a century of scrutiny, this rule remains without exception. Concerning his Rule Number One and the PLURAL nouns, Mr. Sharp, on page 13 of his book, in explanation of his Rule Number One, also states that: “there are not wanting examples, even of PLURAL nouns, which are expressed exactly agreeable to this rule.â€Â

Mr. Sharp used this rule to reveal many references in the NT which vindicated Jesus' diety, but not only that but revealed several other textual ties outside of such references, such as when Paul might have said may "grace and peace" be with you, the kai ties them both with the subject, just as the reference in 2 Corinthians 13:11 which mentions the "God of love and peace" which makes the kai not refer to two God's, one of peace and one of love but the same God possesing both. And indeed we would agree this is obvious, yet how much more or less obvious is it in the comparative statements in other Scriptures of Jesus. Here I will quote a site which presently expresses the issue better than I can of the underlying Greek, and it one among hundreds if not thouhsands of other such sites which affirm the same thing:

a. 2 Thess. 1:12, the KJV reads "the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ". God "theos" here is articular, and Christ "christou" is anarthrous. Both nouns are in the same case, and therefore should read "the grace of Jesus Christ, our God and Lord".

b. Titus 2:13, the KJV reads "the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ". God "theos" here is articular, and Christ "christou" is anarthrous. Both nouns are in the same case, and therefore should read "our great God and Savior Jesus Christ".

http://www.biblefood.com/and2.html

The Granville Sharp Rule has much more to be discussed about, but at the current length of this post I think this shall suffice for now, and give everyone something to chew on.

God Bless,

~Josh

Since this approach is lengthy, I will allow this time for response before I proceed to #2 or if I have time before responses are submitted (unlikely with the piranhas in these waters :tongue) I will then continue.

~Josh

Wow! I'm just a plain and simple uneducated man so I guess it's just as well my walk with the Lord is not based on an academic acceptance of all of that. :)

mutzrein said:
Wow! I'm just a plain and simple uneducated man so I guess it's just as well my walk with the Lord is not based on an academic acceptance of all of that. :)

The simpler the Faith the better, but sometimes we must use the ammo of the word to break up the fallow ground. The heart of the matter which such a "simple" man as yourself can appreciate is where I broke it down to this: "John offers it to us plain, but are you simple enough of faith to recieve it as given?"

Charles Spurgeon said to those hard of hearing God's word:

"God knows I have been hammering away at the granite, and it has not yielded yet. I have smitten the flint, and it is not broken. Some of you all but break the ploughshare; you are such rocks that it seems in vain to plough upon you."

Incidentally my Dad when reading that for the first time found the witty idea of breaking the ploughshare so funny he found it difficult to stand as he was laughing. :)

God Bless,

~Josh

Cyber,

Do not fret.

The Diety of Christ has NEVER been 'questioned' by me. Only the 'concept of 'trinity'.

We KNOW that Christ IS The Son of God. And we KNOW that God IS The Father. I have absolutely NO misunderstanding of 'this' and am perfectly content and secured in THIS FOUNDATION.

Watch this:

My 'family name' is Campbell. My mother, brother, and myself go by this name. The name IS my Father's name. So, while EACH of us goes BY the name Campbell, each of us is NOT my Father. We are ALL a 'part' of my Father in NAME and unity, but each of us is ALSO an individual entity.

Now the fathers of 'trinity' pretty much offered this in their original statements concerning 'trinity'. But time and understanding changed it into 'something different'. Now there are those that have been taught and believe that because God and His Son are of the SAME family that this makes them 'the same'. And the TRUTH is that they are NOT 'the same'. God did NOT allow HIMSELF to be 'nailed to a cross'. God SENT His Son to perform this deed. For we have the PLAIN words of Christ Himself asking HIS FATHER, "My Father, why hath thou forsaken me". For His Father HAD to 'turn away' from His Son momentarily for Christ, (His Son), to bear the sins of this world. For God will not even LOOK upon 'carnal flesh that is FULL OF SIN'. So He OBVIOUSLY did NOT turn His back on HIMSELF but His Son.

And NO man has SEEN the Father but Christ DECLARED Him unto us. For Christ to HAVE BEEN God Himself, EVERYONE that physically SAW Christ WOULD have SEEN God. And we KNOW that this is NOT SO.

So, what we have is a misinterpretation of the words that the CC used to 'indicate trinity'. Taking them out of context and in direct REFUTE of 'other words' in order to 'create' a 'man-made doctrine'.

So, fret not, my friend. For I KNOW the Son and through Him KNOW the Father. And this IS what we have been taught through word and example. And I pray NOT to Christ but to GOD in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ. I thank Christ daily for the gift that He brought to us, but the gift was offered of the Father which IS my God. I have accepted the words that Christ offered but PLAINLY understand that these words were NOT His Own but GIVEN Him by The Father. And I pray AS Christ TAUGHT us to pray; OUR Father............ Have you ever stoped to reason out the prayer that Christ 'taught us'? He did NOT simply offer WORDS, but an actual prayer.........and His use of Our was NOT meant ONLY for US, but I can ASSURE YOU that in this manner HE TOO prayed unto HIS FATHER.

MEC

Imagican said:
Now the fathers of 'trinity' pretty much offered this in their original statements concerning 'trinity'. But time and understanding changed it into 'something different'.

Please provide the evidence, MEC...

Quote me the Church Fathers that go along with what you claim.

Do not make it a habit of making such pronouncements on your knowledge of the Church Fathers, please. You are merely destroying the rest of your argument when you make such ridiculous and unsubstantiated claims. Even if you provide something worthwhile to consider, you have destroyed your credibility.

Regards

The Diety of Christ has NEVER been 'questioned' by me. Only the 'concept of 'trinity'.

Imagician,

Respectfully I must say I expected such a statement as this, in that I knew those who do not believe Jesus is God have a funny concept of "diety" as meaning something other than God. They must think it means "spiritual being" or something like an angel, or some wierd conception of a lesser god, but to clarify exactly what I meant I made it a sure thing to put in the title "Jesus is God" because I knew someone would put a twist on their idea of the "divinity" of Christ. I mean divinity in the way it was meant to be used: as being God. Jesus is God, and I do believe if I am not mistaken that you do question that. If Jesus is God and the Father is God then there must be an equality, unless you fall off the other end and believe like some early heretics that Jesus alone is God and that the Father was some mockery god of the OT.

Would you mind trying to address specific points in my #1 area above if you have a difference with my interpretation of the issue?

Thanks,

~Josh

As promised I will continue with my covereage of the points I outlined in the OP, beginning with #2, the claim that, "Jesus is called 'son', and thus it is to be taken in the strictest sense of offspring, as being seperate from God" and #3 "Jesus being "begotten" proves he was created and not pre-existant". I will cover them together since they go over the same ground.

#2 & #3 These claims misunderstand the Father/Son relationship between Jesus and God the Father, and the use of "begotten". Jesus is clearly presented to have a unique Sonship in relation to the Father, the "only begotten", unlike our common son & daughtership as hiers of Christ, as adopted children of God by the Spirit in us who cries 'abba, Father'. Our most famous passage that deals with this is when God says in Psalm 2:7, "I will surely tell of the decree of the LORD: He said to Me, 'You are My Son, Today I have begotten You." In this case in the Psalm God is declaring a King to be an anointed son to rule, and does not in any way carry a literal birthing on that day of the king, but rather an innaguration for the King. The application of this passage in the NT also uses similar meanings.

In Acts 13:32-34 it says, "And we preach to you the good news of the promise made to the fathers, that God has fulfilled this promise to our children in that He raised up Jesus, as it is also written in the second Psalm, 'YOU ARE MY SON; TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU.' "As for the fact that He raised Him up from the dead, no longer to return to decay, He has spoken in this way: 'I WILL GIVE YOU THE HOLY and SURE blessings OF DAVID." (NASB) Here Acts uses begotten in the sense of ressurection, in keeping with the theology of the NT that Christ was "firstborn from among the dead" (Colossians 1:18).

The other two instances of this Psalm verse being quoted in the NT are in Hebrews. In Hebrews 1:5-6 the superiority of the Son is shown in that it says, "For to which of the angels did He ever say, "YOU ARE MY SON, TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU"? And again, I WILL BE A FATHER TO HIM AND HE SHALL BE A SON TO ME"? And when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says, "AND LET ALL THE ANGELS OF GOD WORSHIP HIM." (NASB) Here we also see worship ordered from the angels toward Christ, who incidentally in the OT worship no one but God alone, which to do otherwise would be rebellion and idolatry. Not to mention in verse 8 Jesus is ascribed as God, "But of the Son He says, "YOUR THRONE, O GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER, AND THE RIGHTEOUS SCEPTER IS THE SCEPTER OF HIS KINGDOM." (NASB).

The next verse in Hebrews that deals with it is Hebrews 5:5-6 which says, "So also Christ did not glorify Himself so as to become a high priest, but He who said to Him, "YOU ARE MY SON, TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU"; just as He says also in another passage, "YOU ARE A PRIEST FOREVER ACCORDING TO THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK." (NASB). Here, the context of being begotten is an innaugeration as High Priest, the beginning of the mediatory work of Christ, similar to the innaguration seen in Psalm 2:7. Also in the in close proximity of the context of both Hebrews verses is the idea of Christ's exaltation and appointment as mediator, Hebrews 1:3: "When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high", and Hebrews 5:9-10: "And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation, being designated by God as a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek." So with the three verses (from Acts and Hebrews) combined we these as applying to events in Jesus' life, namely the following ressurection, his exalation, and appointment as mediator. He was 'begotten' from the dead, 'begotten' to glory and exaltaion, and 'begotten' as appointed mediator between man and God. And at Jesus' baptism, the reference to "only begotten Son" can also be seen as the beginning of his appointment of redemption and anointing by the Spirit, which he completed when he said "It is finished". There are occasional references to begotten used elsewhere in Scripture but they all follow this pattern.

Thus using the "begotten" verse to prove that Jesus was created is incorrect and inconsistant with both the OT and NT uses of the word.

P.S. The preexistance of Christ can also be substantiated in the many verses that speak of his place in creation, especially in John 1:1-3 which I will have to demonstrate about the Logos as speaking of Jesus in #6.

~Josh

#1 There is no reference to Jesus as being God in the NT, nor a suggestion of it.

I posted this on another thread, seems to fit here as well:

Hebrews 1:8

But of the Son He says,
Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever,

The belief that Jesus is God is found throughout the mainstream churches of Christendom, as well as many independent churches. The word "deity" literally means "god or goddess, divine state".(Microsoft Encarta Dictionary) Jesus is a "deity" or "god", but not "God Almighty".(Ex 6:3) On the night before his death, Jesus, in prayer to his Father, said without reservation: "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ."(John 17:3) How could Jesus be God and yet pray to the "only true God" ? He couldn't. That is why Jesus could further say: "I have glorified you on the earth, having finished the work you have given me to do."(John 17:4)

In addition, the apostle John could not have said, without lying, some 65 years after Jesus death and resurrection, if Jesus were God, that "no one has seen God at any time".(John 1:18; 1 John 4:12) Jesus, following his resurrection, told Mary that "I am ascending to my God and your God."(John 20:17) How could Jesus be God and yet 'ascend to his God' ? He couldn't. He had said earlier that "I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me; he did not abandon me to myself, because I always do the things pleasing to him.†(John 8:28,29) According to Isaiah 40:13, no one teaches God, and righfully so, for he is the Creator. Yet Jesus humbly acknowledged that he was taught by his Father, God and 'always pleased his Father'. There is a contradiction there if Jesus is God.
However, this is readily cleared up when one recognizes that Jesus is indeed the "only-begotten Son of God" (John 3:18), subservient to his Father.

Too, the apostle Paul wrote that "the head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God."(1 Cor 11:3) If Christ is God or equal to him, then so likewise is the woman equal to man or man to Christ. But this is not so, for this arrangement of headship has been set forth by God himself, with God being the head of the Christ, Jesus, even after his resurrection to heaven, just as the man is head of the woman in authority within a family and the Christ over the man within the Christian congregation.(Matt 23:10)

God's justice required that a perfect man be given for the perfect man Adam. The apostle Paul wrote: "It is even so written: “The first man Adam became a living soul.†The last Adam became a life-giving spirit."(1 Cor 15:45) Since Adam was not God, but rather his handiwork, true justice demanded that the "last Adam" be also as Adam was before his defection, a perfect man of flesh and blood, created by God.

If humankind was to regain the opportunity to enjoy everlasting life, then, in harmony with a legal principle that God later included in the Mosaic Law, namely, that like must go for like, exact atonement would be required for what had been lost by Adam, for Deuteronomy 19:21 says: "And your eye should not feel sorry: soul will be for soul, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot." Hence, an angel nor imperfect human nor of God himself would meet the requirements for God's justice to be satisfied, for Adam was not God, but rather a perfect "son of God".(Luke 3:38)

Jesus had to provide the basis for atonement of our sins. As used in the Bible, “atonement†(Hebrew, Ka·phar´, basically meaning, "at one" ) has the basic thought of “cover†or “exchange,†and that which is given in exchange for, or as a “cover†for, another thing must be its duplicate. Thus, anything making satisfaction for something that is lost or forfeited must be “at one†with that other thing, completely covering it as its exact equivalent. There must be no overlapping and no coming short. No imperfect human could provide such a covering or atonement to restore perfect human life to any or all of mankind. (Ps 49:7, 8) To make adequate atonement for what was forfeited by Adam, a sin offering having the precise value of a perfect human life would have to be provided. Thus, only someone who was Adam's exact eqivalent in human perfection before his rebellion in the Garden of Eden would be accepted by God. This is God's justice.

Jesus nor the apostles would have any interest in "Greek grammatical rules", such as the "Granville Sharp Rule", as defined by him in a tract in 1798 (Remarks on the Uses of the Definite Article, though written in 1778) or the "Colwell Rule" as formulated by Greek scholar E.C.Colwell in 1933. Mr. E.C. Colwell asserted that in Greek a predicate noun “has the [definite] article when it follows the verb; it does not have the [definite] article when it precedes the verb.†By this he meant that a predicate noun preceding the verb should be understood as though it did have the definite article (“theâ€Â) in front of it. At John 1:1 the second noun (the·os´), the predicate, precedes the verb-“and [the·os´] was the Word.†So, Colwell claimed, John 1:1 should read “and [the] God was the Word.â€Â

But consider just two examples found at John 8:44. There Jesus says of the Devil: “That one was a manslayer†and “he is a liar.†Just as at John 1:1, the predicate nouns (“manslayer†and “liarâ€Â) precede the verbs (“was†and “isâ€Â) in the Greek. There is no indefinite article in front of either noun because there was no indefinite article in Koine Greek. But most translations insert the word “a†because Greek grammar and the context require it.

Colwell had to acknowledge this regarding the predicate noun, for he said: “It is indefinite [“a†or “anâ€Â] in this position only when the context demands it.†So even he admits that when the context requires it, translators may insert an indefinite article in front of the noun in this type of sentence structure.

Does the context require an indefinite article at John 1:1? Yes, for the testimony of the entire Bible is that Jesus is not Almighty God. Thus, not Colwell’s questionable rule of grammar nor Granville Sharp's, but context should guide the translator in such cases. And it is apparent from the many translations that insert the indefinite article “a†at John 1:1 and in other places that many scholars disagree with such an artificial rule, and so does God’s Word.

At Matthew 13:13, Jesus spoke of getting the "sense" of the kingdom ("understand", King James Bible), not looking at grammatical structure. He had further said that gaining an understanding would be "hidden" from the "wise and intellectual ones".(Matt 11:25) These though, turn to, what they call "grammatical" structure to support their view that Jesus is God. How many of us are able to understand even English grammar, technically speaking, as an English major ? Do we concern ourselves with being so precise in our usage of English, the "syntax" or "organization of words in sentences"(Microsoft Encarta Dictionary) ? Jesus did not teach "theology". Getting the "sense" or understanding of who Jesus and God are, is provided through an unbiased objective study of the Bible, not like the Pharisees "who strain out the gnat but gulp down the camel !"(Matt 23:24)

For example, the King James Bible, along with several others, renders Titus 2:13 as "Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ". According to the "Granville Sharp Rule", which asserts that, since the article (the) is not repeated before the second noun (Savior), the two nouns refer to the same person or subject. This would mean that “great God†and “Savior†would both be descriptive of Jesus, as if the meaning were ‘of Jesus Christ, the great God and our Savior.’ A literal translation of the Greek phrase is, “glory of the great God and Saviour of us Christ Jesus.†(The Interlinear Greek-English New Testament, by Dr. Alfred Marshall) There is thus a single article (the) preceding two nouns (God, Savior) that are joined by the conjunction “and.â€Â

Persons inclined to believe in the deity of Jesus as God sometimes give the impression that the above position is demanded by proper Greek grammar. But that is not so. In fact, the validity of the “rule†being applied in Titus has been much debated by scholars.

For example, Dr. Henry Alford (The Greek Testament, Vol. III) says: “No one disputes that it may mean that which they have interpreted it†as meaning, but he adds that one needs rather to determine ‘what the words do mean.’ And that cannot be settled by grammatical rules. He further states: “I have deduced that it is not probable he meant to apply the whole of this to our Lord, but the former portion to the Father and the latter to the Son....I would submit that [a rendering that clearly differentiates God and Christ, at Titus 2:13] satisfies all the grammatical requirements of the sentence: that it is both structurally and contextually more probable, and more agreeable to the Apostle’s way of writing.â€Â-(The Greek Testament, Boston, 1877), Vol. III, p. 421.

A Grammar of New Testament Greek (Moulton-Turner, 1963) states about Titus 2:13: “The repetition of the art[icle] was not strictly necessary to ensure that the items be considered separately.†What, though, about ‘Sharp’s rule’? Dr. Nigel Turner admits: “Unfortunately, at this period of Greek we cannot be sure that such a rule is really decisive.†(Grammatical Insights into the New Testament, 1965) As to the Greek construction used, Professor Alexander Buttmann pointed out: “It will probably never be possible, either in reference to profane literature or to the N[ew] T[estament], to bring down to rigid rules which have no exception, . . . â€Â-A Grammar of the New Testament Greek (1873).

In The Expositor’s Greek Testament, (Vol 4, pg 195, 1897) Dr. N. J. D. White observes: “The grammatical argument . . . is too slender to bear much weight, especially when we take into consideration not only the general neglect of the article in these epistles but the omission of it before†‘Savior’ in 1 Timothy 1:1; 4:10. And Dr. Alford stresses that in other passages where Paul uses expressions like “God our Savior†he definitely does not mean Jesus, for “the Father and the Son are most plainly distinguished from one another.†(1 Tim. 1:1; 2:3-5) This agrees with the overall teaching of the Bible that Jesus is a created Son who is not equal to his Father, for Jesus said clearly that "the Father is greater than I am."(John 14:28) and that the apostle Paul, in writing to the Corinthians, said that "the head of the Christ is God."(1 Cor. 11:3)

Thus, Dr. White concludes: ‘On the whole, then, we decide in favour of the rendering of this passage, appearing of the glory of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.’ ( The Expositor's Greek New Testament, Vol. 4, pg 195, 1897) A number of modern translations agree. In the main text or in footnotes they render Titus 2:13 as speaking of two distinct persons, “the great God†who is Jehovah (Ex 3:14,15), and his Son, “our Savior, Christ Jesus,†both of whom have glory. (Luke 9:26; 2 Tim. 1:10) This harmonizes with Titus 1:4, in which Paul said that "Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour."(King James Bible)

In addition, Ezra Abbott (1819-1884) wrote, in Journal of the Society of Biblical Literature and Exegesis, (On the Construction of Titus 2:13, 1881): "It was formerly contended by Granville Sharp, and afterwards by Bishop Middleton, that the absence of the Greek article before SWTHROS (Greek "soteros", savior) in Tit. ii. 13 and 2 Pet. i. I, and before QEOU (Greek "theos", God) in Eph. v. 5, is alone sufficient to prove that the two appellatives connected by KAI belong to one subject....“It is impossible,†says Middleton in his note on Tit. ii. 13, “to understand QEOU (Greek "theos", God) and SWTHROS (Greek "soterossavior) otherwise than of one person.†This ground is now generally abandoned, and it is admitted that, grammatically, either construction (“the appearing of our great God and Saviour Jesus Christ� or, “the appearing of the glory of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ�) is possible. I need only refer to Winer, Stuart, Buttman, T.S. Green, and S.G. Green among the grammarians, and to Alford, Ellicott, Bishop Jackson, and other recent commentators."

Granville Sharp's rule has not been accepted across the board by many. Hence, those who read the Bible without prejudice or preconceived ideas, can begin to see that Jesus is indeed "Lord and Savior", but not God.

Yet in the books of Acts Peter calls Jesus "the author of life whom you killed but God raised up again".

If Jesus is not God, then God is not the author of life.

nadab said:
Granville Sharp's rule has not been accepted across the board by many. Hence, those who read the Bible without prejudice or preconceived ideas, can begin to see that Jesus is indeed "Lord and Savior", but not God.

Thankyou nadab. And I say AMEN to that!

MEC - just letting you know that I don't accept the Deity of Christ in the sense that I see 'Deity' as reserved for God - our heavenly Father. I do however acknowledge His Divinity.

Devekut,
In reference to Acts 3:15, which you partially quoted from a Bible version, the interlinear reading of the Emphatic Diaglott says "prince of the life",(also the King James Bible, American Standard Bible, Young's Bible, Weymouth's New Testament, and William's New Testament) not "author of life", and the interlinear reading of the Greek master text "The New Testament in the Original Greek" by Westcott and Hort, says "chief leader". In addition, in verse 13, Jesus is called God's "servant", saying that the "God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our forefathers, has glorified his Servant, Jesus, whom you, for your part, delivered up and disowned before Pilate’s face, when he had decided to release him."

This is in harmony with Matthew 12:18, whereby Matthew in quoting from Isaiah 42:1-4, God says of Jesus: "Look! My servant whom I chose, my beloved, whom my soul approved! I will put my spirit upon him, and what justice is he will make clear to the nations. He will not wrangle, nor cry aloud, nor will anyone hear his voice in the broad ways. No bruised reed will he crush, and no smoldering flaxen wick will he extinguish, until he sends out justice with success. Indeed, in his name nations will hope.â€Â

Hence, Jesus is a "servant" of God and that is why he says prophetically in Psalms: "In the roll of the book it being written about me. To do your will, O my God, I have delighted, and your law is within my inward parts."(Ps 45:7,8; Heb 10:9) Jesus, on the night before his death, said in prayer to his Father: " O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."(Matt 26:39 King James Bible)

The apostle Paul thus says of Jesus, that "in the days of his flesh [Christ] offered up supplications and also petitions to the One who was able to save him out of death, with strong outcries and tears, and he was favorably heard for his godly fear. Although he was a Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered; and after he had been made perfect he became responsible for everlasting salvation to all those obeying him, because he has been specifically called by God a high priest according to the manner of Mel·chiz´e·dek."(Heb 5:7-10)

If Jesus were God, how then could he be "favorably heard for his godly fear", learn "obedience", or be made "perfect" and hence be "specifically called by God a high priest", for in verses 4 and 5, Paul says that "a man takes this honor, not of his own accord, but only when he is called by God, just as Aaron also [was]. So too the Christ did not glorify himself by becoming a high priest, but [was glorified by him] who spoke with reference to him: “You are my son; I, today, I have become your father" ?

Therefore, Jesus is not God, but rather was "called by God" to be "a high priest according to the manner of Mel·chiz´e·dek"(Ps 110:4), to serve in the official capacity of King-Priest in behalf of those who become "chosen" or "holy ones",(Rom 1:7, 8:27) those who, along with Jesus Christ, form the "kingdom of God".(Dan 7:22,27; Rev 5:9,10)

Imagican wrote:

Now the fathers of 'trinity' pretty much offered this in their original statements concerning 'trinity'. But time and understanding changed it into 'something different'.

Francis wrote:
"Please provide the evidence, MEC...
Quote me the Church Fathers that go along with what you claim.
Do not make it a habit of making such pronouncements on your knowledge of the Church Fathers, please. You are merely destroying the rest of your argument when you make such ridiculous and unsubstantiated claims. Even if you provide something worthwhile to consider, you have destroyed your credibility."

MEC, we are still waiting for your source that backs up the claim you made above.

Peace

nadab said:
The belief that Jesus is God is found throughout the mainstream churches of Christendom, as well as many independent churches. The word "deity" literally means "god or goddess, divine state".(Microsoft Encarta Dictionary) Jesus is a "deity" or "god", but not "God Almighty".(Ex 6:3)

First of all you don't take the definition of deity from an english dictionary, but the original greek, which infact uses the same form of the word used for God whom we serve. The word in Romans and else where translated "Godhead" attests to this as well.

On the night before his death, Jesus, in prayer to his Father, said without reservation: "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ."(John 17:3) How could Jesus be God and yet pray to the "only true God" ? He couldn't. That is why Jesus could further say: "I have glorified you on the earth, having finished the work you have given me to do."(John 17:4)

John 1:18; 1 John 4:12) Jesus, following his resurrection, told Mary that "I am ascending to my God and your God."(John 20:17) How could Jesus be God and yet 'ascend to his God' ? He couldn't.

It's funny, I actually acknowledge all those, and I will cover it in my point that deal with Christ's subordinate role to the Father. Jesus in his flesh subjected himself to the Father, and the Father gave him the Spirit without measure, but Jesus did nothing of his own accord in order that he might glorify the Father in his flesh (it was part of His duty on earth - not to flaunt his rightful authority - which he set aside to become poor that we might be rich), but it is clear that Jesus, on account of that, would be glorified also to His former position before the world began. And even then Christ was in God and God in Christ. There is no diminishing of Christ's character seen here.

In addition, the apostle John could not have said, without lying, some 65 years after Jesus death and resurrection, if Jesus were God, that "no one has seen God at any time".

So taken out of context! Jesus said, "He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?" (John 14:9). According to your logic that puts both the Son and the Father out the business of being God. The basic idea of that verse is that noone has seen God in his unbridled glory. That's why when Moses (who saw the feet and even back of God) when he asked God to reveal his glory to him, God said "You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live" (Exodus 33:20). And even Jacob when he wrestled with God (most definately not in his Glory, I assure you! :biggrin) was fearful and grateful and amazed that he had "seen the face of the Lord" and lived. That is the meaning & context of the verse, not what you make it out to be.

Hence, an angel nor imperfect human nor of God himself would meet the requirements for God's justice to be satisfied, for Adam was not God, but rather a perfect "son of God".(Luke 3:38)

You miss the entire point of the reason the Gospels include the phrase, "For nothing will be impossible with God" (Luke 1:37). Christ in the flesh is a mystery, as is the Holy Spirit overshadowing Mary, God and human together. God is always known as the Savior in the OT, Christ is the Savior in the NT, God is called the alpha and omega, Christ is called the alpha and omega, God created the worlds, Christ too created the worlds, God is to be worshiped in his glory, Christ is to be worshiped in His glory. The parallels go on and on. And this is no ordinary human being, this is God incarnate.

Jesus nor the apostles would have any interest in "Greek grammatical rules", such as the "Granville Sharp Rule", as defined by him in a tract in 1798 (Remarks on the Uses of the Definite Article, though written in 1778) or the "Colwell Rule" as formulated by Greek scholar E.C.Colwell in 1933. Mr. E.C. Colwell asserted that in Greek a predicate noun “has the [definite] article when it follows the verb; it does not have the [definite] article when it precedes the verb.†By this he meant that a predicate noun preceding the verb should be understood as though it did have the definite article (“theâ€Â) in front of it. At John 1:1 the second noun (the·os´), the predicate, precedes the verb-“and [the·os´] was the Word.†So, Colwell claimed, John 1:1 should read “and [the] God was the Word.â€Â

But consider just two examples found at John 8:44. There Jesus says of the Devil: “That one was a manslayer†and “he is a liar.†Just as at John 1:1, the predicate nouns (“manslayer†and “liarâ€Â) precede the verbs (“was†and “isâ€Â) in the Greek. There is no indefinite article in front of either noun because there was no indefinite article in Koine Greek. But most translations insert the word “a†because Greek grammar and the context require it.

Colwell had to acknowledge this regarding the predicate noun, for he said: “It is indefinite [“a†or “anâ€Â] in this position only when the context demands it.†So even he admits that when the context requires it, translators may insert an indefinite article in front of the noun in this type of sentence structure.

Yes, and all you have esteablished is that context matters. And indeed the reading "the God" is correct in the Greek from the article "ton". This is not helping your arguement.

Does the context require an indefinite article at John 1:1? Yes, for the testimony of the entire Bible is that Jesus is not Almighty God.

Big claim there buddy. I have already begun to form a base of Scriptures in which to look at Christ as God, and you cannot so easily sweep it under the rug. I appreciate your attention to sholarship but why don't we now start looking at that context which you are admitting is all so important, and address directly my Scripture applications in the OP and following posts please.

Thus, not Colwell’s questionable rule of grammar nor Granville Sharp's, but context should guide the translator in such cases. And it is apparent from the many translations that insert the indefinite article “a†at John 1:1 and in other places that many scholars disagree with such an artificial rule, and so does God’s Word.

This is a deviation from what you have already talked about in "the God" (ton theon). I've seen more than one debate on the meaning of "ton" but the general concensus is that is does mean "the", being a definite article.

For example, the King James Bible, along with several others, renders Titus 2:13 as "Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ". According to the "Granville Sharp Rule", which asserts that, since the article (the) is not repeated before the second noun (Savior), the two nouns refer to the same person or subject. This would mean that “great God†and “Savior†would both be descriptive of Jesus, as if the meaning were ‘of Jesus Christ, the great God and our Savior.’ A literal translation of the Greek phrase is, “glory of the great God and Saviour of us Christ Jesus.†(The Interlinear Greek-English New Testament, by Dr. Alfred Marshall) There is thus a single article (the) preceding two nouns (God, Savior) that are joined by the conjunction “and.â€Â

You just explained the basis of the Granville sharp rule. And that translation you gave seems to fit nicely actually (if you will indulge me in placing a colon), "Glory of the great God and Saviour of us: Christ Jesus".

A Grammar of New Testament Greek (Moulton-Turner, 1963) states about Titus 2:13: “The repetition of the art[icle] was not strictly necessary to ensure that the items be considered separately.†What, though, about ‘Sharp’s rule’? Dr. Nigel Turner admits: “Unfortunately, at this period of Greek we cannot be sure that such a rule is really decisive.†(Grammatical Insights into the New Testament, 1965) As to the Greek construction used, Professor Alexander Buttmann pointed out: “It will probably never be possible, either in reference to profane literature or to the N[ew] T[estament], to bring down to rigid rules which have no exception, . . . â€Â-A Grammar of the New Testament Greek (1873).

In The Expositor’s Greek Testament, (Vol 4, pg 195, 1897) Dr. N. J. D. White observes: “The grammatical argument . . . is too slender to bear much weight, especially when we take into consideration not only the general neglect of the article in these epistles but the omission of it beforeâ€Â.

Language and translation is never and exact art, but reasonable doubt demands that we not toss it out the window. And given the context (which we at present disagree on) the consensus of whether Jesus is portrayed as God or not seems to swing the balance. Would you mind addressing my Scripture applocations in the OP for starters?

I gave several examples from the Gospels, which need to dealt with. And also my point that Christ would be the chief of blasphemies against God is he is not God needs to be addressed.

God Bless,

~Josh

I think your right about the Greek "archegon".

Yet to deny the Deity of Christ is to ignore the whole of scripture, both in explicit circumstances and in biblical imagery.

Think of the testimony of Jesus as the bridegroom of Israel. The image of Israel as the bride has strong ancient and biblical roots. Who was the bridegroom of Israel? It was her Lord, her God.

The imagery of bridegroom and bride is non-sensical unless Christ is God in the ultimate sense. Why celebrate the wedding of Israel to a lesser "deity" or "being"? What Christianity then becomes is not the fulfillment of Judaism but a paganized corruption.

Thanks Josh and Devekut. A lot of Biblical revelation has been denied here.

nadab said:
The belief that Jesus is God is found throughout the mainstream churches of Christendom, as well as many independent churches. The word "deity" literally means "god or goddess, divine state".(Microsoft Encarta Dictionary) Jesus is a "deity" or "god", but not "God Almighty".(Ex 6:3)
mutzrein said:
MEC - just letting you know that I don't accept the Deity of Christ in the sense that I see 'Deity' as reserved for God - our heavenly Father. I do however acknowledge His Divinity.
We are dealing with monotheism here; to give Him the attributes of deity or divinity and not declare Him as God is no longer monotheism.

Believing (as we do)in a hypostatic union and/or a triune godhead IS NOT polytheism.

Cybershark5886,
The word "deity" does mean " a god or goddess", for according to Wikipedia, "a deity is a postulated preternatural or supernatural being, who is always of significant power, worshipped, thought holy, divine, or sacred, held in high regard, or respected by human beings". It further says that "the English word "deity" derives from the Latin "dea", ("goddess"), and '"deus", ("god")." Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary says: " 1 a: the rank or essential nature of a god : DIVINITY b capitalized : GOD 1 SUPREME BEING; 2: a god or goddess <the deities of ancient Greece>; 3: one exalted or revered as supremely good or powerful." Thus, a deity is anyone or anything that is considered as a "god" or "goddess". It is you and the churches that have made a wrong application toward Jesus Christ, as him being God.

What is the original Greek word for "deity" ? If you take it from Romans 1:20, and in which the King James Bible says "Godhead", it is thei·o´tes, in which other Bibles read "divine nature" (New English Bible, International Standard Version, Weymouth's New Testament, Williams New Testament), "divinity" (American Standard Version, Young's Bible, Montgomery New Testament), "Godship" (New World Translation). According to Liddell and Scott’s Greek-English Lexicon, the Greek word thei·o´tes means “divine nature, divinity.†(P. 788) So there is a basis for rendering thei·o´tes as referring to the quality of being a god, not the person of God, and this is supported by the context.

Or at Acts 17:29, for although some Bibles say "Godhead" (King James Bible, American Standard Version), the Greek word to thei´on, is a form of thei´os. Other translators here use terms “the Deity,†(New English Bible, Jerusalem Bible, New Revised Standard Version) or “the divinity†(Douay Bible), while E. J. Goodspeed’s translation says “the divine nature.†According to The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, the expression to thei´on “is derived from the adjective theíos, meaning ‘pertaining to God,’ ‘divine.’†(Edited by G. Bromiley, 1979, Vol. 1, p. 913) Liddell and Scott’s Greek-English Lexicon gives as the meaning “the Divinity.†(Revised by H. Jones, Oxford, 1968, pp. 787, 788) So the phrase to thei´on can be understood to refer to a person or to a quality. Obviously, then, the context must guide the translator in his choice of words. Here at Acts 17:29, the context clearly shows that the person of God is being described, and so the expression is appropriately rendered as “Divine Being†in the International Standard Version and New World Translation.

Was John 1:18 taken out of context, as you said ? No, it was not, for again the apostle John could not have said that "no one has seen God at any time" and yet not be lying, since thousands had seen Jesus during his ministry. This statement by John had nothing to do with God's glory, but rather a straightforward statement that simply said: "no one has seen God at any time". If you had seen someone named Joe recently or even a long time ago and then I asked if you had seen him, if you told me no, would not that be a lie ? If before a grand jury, this would have been perjury. Hence, John told the truth, for indeed "at no time has anyone beheld God".(1 John 4:12)

At John 14:9 Jesus said: "He that has seen me has seen the Father also". You then said that "According to your logic that puts both the Son and the Father out of business of being God". Does it ? The Father has always been God, but the Son is indeed his "master worker",(Prov 8:30) the one through whom God used to make all the universe and life in it.

He is God's "only-begotten Son" (John 3:16) The word "only-begotten" comes from the Greek word mo·no·ge·nes´, and literally means "the only one" and is defined by lexicographers as “single of its kind, only,†or “the only member of a kin or kind.†(Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, 1889, p. 417; Liddell and Scott’s Greek-English Lexicon, Oxford, 1968, p. 1144) The term is used in describing the relation of both sons and daughters to their parents. Thus the apostle John wrote of Jesus in his prehuman existence: "By this the love of God was made manifest in our case, because God sent forth his only-begotten Son (or was the "only one" directly created by God) into the world that we might gain life through him. The love is in this respect, not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent forth his Son as a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins."(1 John 4:9,10) The Greek Septuagint uses mo·no·ge·nes´ when speaking of Jephthah’s daughter, concerning whom it is written: “Now she was absolutely the only (mo·no·ge·nes´ ) child. Besides her he had neither son nor daughter.â€Â(Jg 11:34) Hence, Jesus is God's "only child" directly created by him.

In addition, Moses did not see God, for if you did your homework, Stephen identified those that Moses received the Law from were angels (Ex 33:20; 34:1) and he said to those wicked religious leaders: "You who received the Law as transmitted by angels but have not kept it.â€Â(Acts 7:53) Hence, God spoke to Moses through angelic representatives and was never personally present, just as at the burning bush in Horeb.(Ex 3) He has never been seen.(John 1:18) Jesus further said to the Jews: "Everyone that has heard from the Father and has learned comes to me. Not that any man has seen the Father, except he who is from God; this one has seen the Father."(John 6:46)

Jesus was not God incarnate, for this would not balance the scales of justice. The apostle Paul wrote that "It is even so written: “The first man Adam became a living soul.†The last Adam became a life-giving spirit."(1 Cor 15:45) Jesus had to become the second or "last Adam", fully becoming flesh and blood, unlike angels that materialized in Noah's day before the flood. These were incarnate, having taken on a bodily form, but were not true flesh and blood. That the angelic sons of God before the flood of Noah's day were not truly human but had materialized bodies is shown by the fact that the Flood did not destroy these angels, but they dematerialized and returned to the spirit realm. However, Jesus had to become flesh and blood and die as perfect "son of God", for the apostle Paul wrote that the "Son,...sprang from the seed of David according to the flesh."(Rom 1:3) Only this would satisfy God's justice under the Mosiac Law, for according to Exodus 21:23, there must be "soul for soul", exact equivalent. And only after Jesus resurrection from the dead was he not true flesh and blood, being able to walk through doors.(John 20:26)

Too, placing a colon at Titus 2:13 is called tampering, and is not to be indulged in, for that is how many Scriptures have been altered, with just a slip of pen, such as 1 Timothy 3:16, whereby "he who" was altered by an overzealous trinitarian to the abbreviation for "God". Or the addition at 1 John 5:7, of the words "the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost", these being well known as spurious additions,(called the "comma Johanneum") not being in the most ancient manuscripts such as the Vatican 1209, the Codex Siniaticus, and Codex Alexandrine. It is like tampering with a witness in a court trial, and this is a criminal offense.

In addition, only the Father is ever called "God Almighty" (Hebrew ’El Shad·dai´). No one is ever called a "son" of Jesus, but only "brothers" (Heb 2:17) and people are never called "brothers" of the Father or God, but only "sons".

Who of history has rejected the trinity ? Here are just a few examples (1) Michael Servetus (1511-53), a Spaniard trained in law and medicine, who published Errors of the Trinity, stating that he "will not make use of the word Trinity, which is not to be found in Scripture, and only seems to perpetuate philosophical error.†He denounced the Trinity as a doctrine “that cannot be understood, that is impossible in the nature of things, and that may even be looked on as blasphemous!†In his work A Statement Regarding Jesus Christ, he described the doctrine of the Trinity as perplexing and confusing and noted that the Scriptures contained "not even one syllable" in it's support. For his outspokeness, he was arrested and burned at the stake by John Calvin on October 27,1553. (2) Sir Issac Newton (1642-1727), in England, rejected the doctrine of the Trinity and wrote detailed historical and Scriptural reasons for doing so. (3) Protestant Reformer Sebastian Franck (1499-1543) wrote concerning Servetus: "The Spaniard, Servetus, contends in his tract that there is but one God. The Roman church holds that there are three persons in one essence. I agree rather with the Spaniard." (4) Laelius Socinus (1525-1562), Italian theologian, who studied Greek, Hebrew, and Arabic. His anti-Trinitarian views were developed into the Socinian movement by his nephew Faustus Socinus, which also rejected the Trinity. (5) John Milton (1608-1674), the great poet, renounced the trinity as well. (6) Joseph Priestley (1733-1804), famous chemist and discoverer of oxygen.

Back