Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Doctrine of the Two-by-Twos: Is it supported by Scripture?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I ask this because I have, just this minute, been reprimanded by my parents for preaching in the street, unaccompanied. Assuming this was because of some concern for my physical safety, I was about to patiently explain to them that I was standing in the middle of the busy high-street just after noon, with a police car parked not too far off, when they hit me with the statement that it was unscriptural to preach alone, that there should be someone else as a witness. :confused:

This revelation has puzzled me to no small degree! I think this doctrine, held by 'The Church with No Name' or the 'Two-by-twos' as they're also known, is derived from the Lord's direction in Luke 10:

"Now after these things the Lord appointed seventy others also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place where he himself was about to come." (Luke 10 v 1)

To my understanding, this direction was regarding the limited commission on which the Lord sent the 70, and was not to apply to every preacher from that moment onwards. After all, Philip, Peter and Paul all went alone to preach in various places in the Acts.
The Lord also sent his preachers out without a purse, or scrip or sandals and instructed them to salute no-one on the way. By that reckoning, taking the scripture in its literal sense, my parents should be exhorting me to leave my wallet, rucksack and shoes behind and avoid saying 'Hi' to the postman, as well as bringing someone else along.

It's simply not practical for me to bring someone else with me when I preach. During my periods of unemployment and university breaks, my time is relatively free, so I use it by going into my local town centre and preaching every so often. I have a lot of brethren with whom I walk in happy fellowship, but all of them, without exception I think, have either jobs, or are at school or university. Others would not, understandably, be willing to take up such a public service. So, when the Spirit moves me to preach, I can't expediently bring someone else along with me. When I'm at university, I sometimes stop on my way through the city of Glasgow and preach, as the Spirit prompts me. I don't plan to do so well in advance and arrange for someone to accompany me.

Should I simply not preach, because I'm alone? Should I ignore the promptings of the Holy Spirit and the urgency of the message? Well, I don't want to weight the question, but, as you can see, my feeling is that this is decidedly strange doctrine. Mind you, this is coming from my parents, who, among other things, think that mixed-race marriage is wrong. To quote my father's words, "You don't need a scripture for everything, nature itself teaches you certain things." That, however, is a whole different kettle of fish.

I'd appreciate your prayers, my friends, to keep me from error, help me to be humble, and help me to live with my parents, despite our many differences.

I would think the 'two by two' concept of evangelism found in scripture would serve as a precedent for showing us how it can be done, not so much a precedent showing us how it must be done.

I would be considerate of your parents feelings about the matter and just keep what you do secret.

Just curious, do they belong to a 'Plymouth Brethren' congregation?

Indeed, yes, it's good if preachers can go out two by two if this is expedient.

Interesting that you should say that; I and my parents are in fellowship with the same group of what you might call 'Plymouth Brethren'. I was brought up in a brethren fellowship which I, sadly, had to withdraw from for various reasons. I linked on with the group of brethren with whom I currently break bread shortly afterwards, and my parents followed suit a year or so later.

Interesting that you should say that; I and my parents are in fellowship with the same group of what you might call 'Plymouth Brethren'. I was brought up in a brethren fellowship which I, sadly, had to withdraw from for various reasons. I linked on with the group of brethren with whom I currently break bread shortly afterwards, and my parents followed suit a year or so later.
I worked with a wonderful Christian lady from Gourock several years ago when I lived in Florida. She told me all about the Brethren Fellowship, and how you go to 'kirk', we go to 'church'. She missed the homeland dearly. I wonder if she eventually went back like she wanted to. Loved her accent.

She 'interpreted' the meanings of the lyrics in Jethro Tull's song 'Up the Pool' (http://youtu.be/dtLtrt6SQZI) for me and another Tull fan in the office once. Quite interesting. (I don't listen to all of Jethro Tull anymore now that I'm a Christian--just to some of the safer favorites I had.) It was neat to be able to understand it from her knowledgeable viewpoint.

I remember one day praying with her and a temporary worker from Russia in a circle in the conference room. It was beautiful to see the unity we all had in the One Spirit even though we had such diverse backgrounds. It was a little glimpse of the day when peoples from many nations and tongues and races will fellowship together in the Kingdom of God.

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Luke 9:59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
Luke 9:60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
Luke 9:61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
Luke 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

I do not remember reading anything about a 2x2 except that in Luke 10:1, but only reading Jesus commission in Matthew 28 and Luke 9:60 as an individual commission set forth to everyone who is called by His name. If the Holy Spirit is telling you to go then who are we or your parents to tell you not to go. Follow your heart as the Spirit speaks to you.

I worked with a wonderful Christian lady from Gourock several years ago when I lived in Florida. She told me all about the Brethren Fellowship, and how you go to 'kirk', we go to 'church'. She missed the homeland dearly. I wonder if she eventually went back like she wanted to. Loved her accent.

She 'interpreted' the meanings of the lyrics in Jethro Tull's song 'Up the Pool' (http://youtu.be/dtLtrt6SQZI) for me and another Tull fan in the office once. Quite interesting. (I don't listen to all of Jethro Tull anymore now that I'm a Christian--just to some of the safer favorites I had.) It was neat to be able to understand it from her knowledgeable viewpoint.

I remember one day praying with her and a temporary worker from Russia in a circle in the conference room. It was beautiful to see the unity we all had in the One Spirit even though we had such diverse backgrounds. It was a little glimpse of the day when peoples from many nations and tongues and races will fellowship together in the Kingdom of God.

I see! It's a small world, right enough. Aye, 'kirk' is the Scottish word for church. I live in the town of Falkirk, which is old Scots meaning 'Speckled Church', fal-kirk. :)

It is wonderful when you see a practical example like that of the Spirit bridging natural boundaries. Quite a number of people from Britain have been out to meetings held by our brethren in India, and even though the majority don't speak English and instead know one of a number of the Indian tongues, and translators have to be employed, the enjoyment had from the occasions is by no means lessened. Even the seemingly insurmountable barrier of cultural and linguistic differences is nothing to the Holy Spirit. :)

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Luke 9:59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
Luke 9:60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
Luke 9:61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
Luke 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

I do not remember reading anything about a 2x2 except that in Luke 10:1, but only reading Jesus commission in Matthew 28 and Luke 9:60 as an individual commission set forth to everyone who is called by His name. If the Holy Spirit is telling you to go then who are we or your parents to tell you not to go. Follow your heart as the Spirit speaks to you.

Thanks for_his_glory, that's very confirming! It's as I thought, the instruction to go out 2x2 given to the limited commission was most likely because the limited commission was to the Jews only, and Jewish law (as established in Deuteronomy) states that two must bear witness. One witness wouldn't be acceptable to the Jews.

(I don't listen to all of Jethro Tull anymore now that I'm a Christian--just to some of the safer favorites I had.)

I know what you mean! There's probably enough in that parenthetical remark to start a whole new thread. Music is a big issue for sure. The majority of us love music, and you get attached to a particular artist and then find out something unsavoury about them, which ruins it for you. Difficult. I'm keen on all sorts of music, and I mean literally anything, but I'm very strict about the content, themes and lyrics which I let in. One genre I've never quite got to grips with though is Christian music. I like traditional hymns, but I just don't 'get' Christian rock or pop. There's four Christian artists which I'm rather fond of, namely Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Demon Hunter, Day of Fire and Dirt Poor Robins. I'm not particularly keen on heavy metal because of the lyrics and themes and the kind of people who listen to mainstream metal, but if it's meant to be Christian, it should be okay, surely? Well, apart from the fact that the members of Maylene, DoF and DH all have a prodigious amount of piercings and tattoos, neither of which I think have any place in or on the body of a Christian.

So, it's a confusing area!

My favourite band of all time is Runrig. You may've heard of them, they're a Scot-rock band from the Isle of Skye, they have a lot of songs in Gaelic language. The music is simply superb and ticks every box, including being respectful towards the Christian faith, condemning the hubris of man, and even quoting portions of Old Testament scripture in Gaelic in some of their songs. Skye, and the rest of the Hebrides have traditional been strongholds of very conservative Protestant Christianity, and much of the doctrine held by the island churches, while being somewhat legal, is very sound.

Anyway. I ramble! ;)

I have met this group called the "two-by-twos. They originated in England around 100 years or so ago.

They maintain that apostles (yes they have these) travel two-by-two and can never marry.

Is this the group you are talking about?

I have met this group called the "two-by-twos. They originated in England around 100 years or so ago.

They maintain that apostles (yes they have these) travel two-by-two and can never marry.

Is this the group you are talking about?

Aye, that's the group I was thinking of. You've come across them before? :)

"unscriptural to preach alone."

Nah - it isn't lots of folks "Preach alone" in the Bible, and your WITNESS is the Holy Spirit - without who's convicting power, you're not going to get anywhere anyway. If you feel the BURDEN to preach - THEN DO IT!!!!!

"Visible Church" denominations make all sorts of silly "rules of man", so your problem isn't Scriptural - it's dealing with your parents - who aren't - about this anyway.

Thank heavens nobody's formed a church denomination yet around Mat 18:8,9.

Two by Two doctrine? Definitely supported.

Depends on who sets the terms and understandings of the doctrine. Almost 'every 'doctrine' out there in the 'world' of Christianity has a scriptural basis. Likewise those positions are perpetually twisted and morphed, sometimes incredibly so. I once met a man that claimed he could show me from the scriptures where he was the only one that was going to be saved.

Lotta 'strange' out there. Any time there is a 'doctrinal split' it usually means there is in fact great matters of Truth therein.

In the 'doctrine' of Two by Two's that 'sect' has taken a relatively hard doctrine to catch hold of and turned it into something else that has about as much relevance to doctrine as physical poisonous snake handling.

s

"unscriptural to preach alone."

Nah - it isn't lots of folks "Preach alone" in the Bible, and your WITNESS is the Holy Spirit - without who's convicting power, you're not going to get anywhere anyway. If you feel the BURDEN to preach - THEN DO IT!!!!!

"Visible Church" denominations make all sorts of silly "rules of man", so your problem isn't Scriptural - it's dealing with your parents - who aren't - about this anyway.

Thank heavens nobody's formed a church denomination yet around Mat 18:8,9.

Somebody posted a story here a couple days ago, I question the reality of it, but some guy had literally gouged out his right eye. He then determined that he was factually a 'left eye' luster.

I about fell outta my chair laughing.

s

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back