Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The English Language and the Bible

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Classik

Take for instance: And God said, "Let there be light."
But in the original, the right expression is: "Light be."

There are other examples where the language slightly changes the meaning of an expression. So is the English language good enough?

There are other examples where the language slightly changes the meaning of an expression. So is the English language good enough?
Brother @Classic, you are listed here as a Christian; doesn’t that mean you have believed on the Lord Jesus Christ? Somehow with a backward language, we that have received Christ as our Savior did so at God’s leading. How we read, how we say it seems to be bypassed in that God knows our hearts and one day we called on the Lord, maybe even being brought to the end of our reasoning and forced to cry out to Him. (Rom 10:13-14). Have you considered the mechanics of different languages such as Spanish and English and the adjective “White” following the “Noun” in the word Casa blanca meaning white house?

Of course I really don’t know. :)

I trust that God has raised up capable men and women to translate the Bible into our English language. So much so that I don't think it necessary to dig too deep into the Hebrew and Greek languages. They do that so we don't have too, and to that I say 'amen'!

I'm kind of disappointed that the Ebonics Bible did not catch on:

The ten commandments in Ebonics

1. I be God. Don' be dissing me.\t
  2. Don' be makin hood ornaments outa me or nothin in my crib.\t
  3. Don' be callin me for no reason - homey don' play that.\t
  4. Y'all betta be in church on Sundee.\t
  5. Don' dis ya mama ... an if ya know who ya daddy is, don' dis him neither.\t
  6. Don' ice ya bros.\t
  7. Stick to ya own woman.\t
  8. Don' be liftin no goods.\t
  9. Don' be frontin like you all that an no snitchin on ya homies.\t
  10. Don' be eyein' ya homie's crib, ride, or nothin.
<link withheld because of inappropriate language in site>​

Last edited:

God is not limited by language. Faith is what is needed. Understanding and wisdom come second to that.

In the Foreknowledge of God, long before time was created.... He knew that "English" would eventually be the international language that is preferred universally, and taught universally all over the world, no matter the nation.
It just took "time" to get there.
So, God provided an "English" bible, that is the "standard" all over the world.
God is SO SMART (and alway thinking ahead).,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,> .
(there are no accidents, with God).
(He gets it right, the first time, and every time).

I trust that God has raised up capable men and women to translate the Bible into our English language. So much so that I don't think it necessary to dig too deep into the Hebrew and Greek languages. They do that so we don't have too, and to that I say 'amen'!

I'm kind of disappointed that the Ebonics Bible did not catch on:

The ten commandments in Ebonics

1. I be God. Don' be dissing me.\t
  2. Don' be makin hood ornaments outa me or nothin in my crib.\t
  3. Don' be callin me for no reason - homey don' play that.\t
  4. Y'all betta be in church on Sundee.\t
  5. Don' dis ya mama ... an if ya know who ya daddy is, don' dis him neither.\t
  6. Don' ice ya bros.\t
  7. Stick to ya own woman.\t
  8. Don' be liftin no goods.\t
  9. Don' be frontin like you all that an no snitchin on ya homies.\t
  10. Don' be eyein' ya homie's crib, ride, or nothin.
<link withheld because of inappropriate language in site>​
It's too good!

If I hear about the aorist tense one more time, I think I'll scream.
Especially since it's really difficult to understand it and all I ever hear is that it's a past action for a future something or other.

Really? I had thought that since Jesus spoke in many parables, but it also says that the mysteries of God are given to us to know (Matthew 13:11)...that He didn't want the unbelievers to understand it, nor those who didn't love His Word, so He began speaking in parables. Those who love His Word and Him, will be willing to dig for it and go into the original languages in the effort to (study and show thyself approved), then He will reveal more to them. Besides, God has a wonderful sense of humor and wants us to seek Him out in His Word. ?

Proverbs 25:2
2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.../

Nowadays it's easier than ever to go into the original language with sites like the BlueLetterBible.com where you basically mouse over the word in the text and boom there you are with the greek or Hebrew definitions. There's no excuse not to nowadays!

Eh?

I think that every single word in the scriptures apply to every single one of us. Sometimes in discussions, someone will remark, well that was being said to the disciples so doesnt really apply to us, or something like, well the OT was then and old covenant so is not for us...tyhings like that, and after chewing on that for awhile, I don't agree. Every Word is for every one.

Even OT. The NT is in the OT concealed and the OT is in the NT revealed. So many types and shadows, prophecies, commands and advice is there that it's hard to fathom that it's not there with purpose for all of us even in this day. For our edification. God said His Word will never pass away and that we would be needing that info for our growth.

How many times have you ever had a problem, picked up the Word and began reading...and there's the solution to your problem? I've had that happen quite a few times. I had a problem once, wasn't reading scripture very much at all through that period, but I prayed about the problem. Prayed prayed prayed, no answer was given to me. I kept praying. Still no answer...Then one day I just happened to pick up the Word (not even with the intent of finding an answer to my problem) and began to read, and boom, there was the answer to my problem! It jumped up and slapped me! I then knew that God did answer my prayer, but He wanted me to read His Word.

Prayer and reading the Word go hand in hand. They are inseparable I think. Pray without ceasing, and study to show thyselves approved. They go hand in hand. I've come to realize that not reading the Word, inhibits ones prayer life.

Anywhere in the Word where there is a name, try substituting your own name there and read it. It's amazing how doing that will bring things to mind about you and will fit into your life and situation. That's how good that book is. I hope that makes sense.

Great replies. But why would most scholars make references to the original: the Greek

My understanding is that Greek was the most expressive language of the day. Perhaps it still is. I like going to the greek because it has more definitions for words in general, so it's easy to apply different definitions to the passage to see different perspectives. The translators did as good as they could, but many times applying a different def, will totally change the verses meaning and shine more light on the text in general.

Beyond, I dunno.

Great replies. But why would most scholars make references to the original: the Greek
Geneses was not written in Greek

This is an interesting thought.
I own two Bibles; one in English and the other in German. I think it is worth noting that if I translate the German version precisely into English, the translations are slightly different.
Modern Bibles are translated from the interpretation of the original texts, however some Bibles have the text modified to make them somewhat easier to read.

If I hear about the aorist tense one more time, I think I'll scream.
Especially since it's really difficult to understand it and all I ever hear is that it's a past action for a future something or other.

Wondering.,

I'm disappointed you have such disdain for an important Greek tense. To properly exegete the NT, a functional knowledge of the differences in meaning of present, aorist, perfect and imperfect tenses is needed.

That may not be important to you but it is to me as a preacher and Bible teacher.

You seem to have an incorrect understanding of the aorist tense. It's not that difficult to understand. I don't know who has made it diffficult for you.

Oz

Last edited:

Please tell me the meaning of 'Light be'.

Wondering.,

I'm disappointed you have such disdain for an important Greek tense. To properly exegete the NT, a functional knowledge of the differences in meaning of present, aorist, perfect and imperfect tenses is needed.

That may not be important to you but it is to me as a preacher and Bible teacher.

You seem to have an incorrect understanding of the aorist tense. It's not that difficult to understand. I don't know who has made it diffficult for you.

Oz
I know a theologian priest that knows Koine Greek and taught it for many years. He uses an original Greek bible.

I spoke to him about the aorist tense one time in the way that persons here use it.
They use it to prove eternal salvation by saying that it's an act in the PAST that CONTINUES onto the FUTURE.

This is ONE way of understanding the aorist tense. He told me it also has other concepts depending on HOW it's used. It sounded very complicated to me. It does not have only that one meaning. He suggested that I don't bother myself with it - and I agree!

He said I shouldn't be concerned with it because the N.T. does NOT teach eternal salvation and persons that want to believe that have to upset all of the N.T. to come to that conclusion. He said there are other proofs without concerning ourselves with the aorist tense.

I don't believe anything is unimportant.
What I'm saying is that NO ONE ON THIS FORUM, of us normal folk, know ENOUGH of the aorist tense to be speaking about it.

We can discuss eternal security without discussing verbs and meanings and §Greek words. The translators were faithful to the MEANING of each sentence.

I speak 3 languages. I know about meanings. There are words that cannot be translated into English, for example; however, I can express that thought using more than one word. It's not impossible to convey the message even though I have to use more than one word.

This is all I'm saying.

This is an interesting thought.
I own two Bibles; one in English and the other in German. I think it is worth noting that if I translate the German version precisely into English, the translations are slightly different.
Modern Bibles are translated from the interpretation of the original texts, however some Bibles have the text modified to make them somewhat easier to read.
As you must surely know, no language can be translated precisely.
We translate thoughts, not words.

Do Germans HANG their clothes?
As if they committed some crime?

Or do they HANG their clothes
As if to place them on a cord with clothespins?

Greek is the same. We translate the concept, the thought,
not each word exactly.

Back