Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

the Eucharist become the Body of Christ

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Well, Randy, the Church has taught from the first century that the bread and wine are the body and blood of the Lord. Since they were the people taught by the apostles, I'll accept their testimony rather than put my meager supply of grey cells to the taxing task of figuring it out for myself.

Your mileage may vary.

iakov the fool
For what purpose do you take communion?

For what purpose do you take communion?
I take communion because Jesus said:
Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. This is the bread which came down from heaven—not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever. Jhn 6:53-58
and
Take, eat; this is My body.” Mat 26:26
and
“Drink from it, all of you." Mat 26:27

I take communion because Jesus said:
Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. This is the bread which came down from heaven—not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever. Jhn 6:53-58
and
Take, eat; this is My body.” Mat 26:26
and
“Drink from it, all of you." Mat 26:27
Ok
But to me:
He said lots of things metaphorically. But the overall sayings and teachings have faith in Him and calling on Him as the key not communion. So thats why I don't take it literally about eating His flesh or drinking His blood for salvation or to remain in Him. To me its faith in him and ask and receive. "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Again Jesus is not speaking about water.
Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

Oneness through the washing of rebirth. The circumcision of the heart by the Spirit of Christ. And everywhere the Spirit of God touches or dwells becomes Holy. "Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." And the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

To me John 6 is about coming to and believing in Jesus. "The living bread that came down from heaven"
1 Corth - about those who did receive such life has a memorial context.
1corinth 11:26

For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

Last supper - first communion
Luke 22:19
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.
Luke 22:20
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Wait a minute its not literally blood? Of course not! Jesus's message was to come to Him by faith for life and apart from Him you have no resurrection or eternal life.

Luke 22:18 - For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes."

But He did die on the cross, (his body), - put to death in the flesh

He did purchase us by His blood for God
Rev 5
You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased for God
persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.

Partaking of a memorial offering to God (communion), the service of Christian worship at which bread and wine are consecrated and shared would be considered Holy by God. - you are proclaiming the Lords death- what He did for us in memory of Him.

Ok
But to me:
He said lots of things metaphorically. But the overall sayings and teachings have faith in Him and calling on Him as the key not communion. So thats why I don't take it literally about eating His flesh or drinking His blood for salvation or to remain in Him. To me its faith in him and ask and receive. "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Again Jesus is not speaking about water.
Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

Oneness through the washing of rebirth. The circumcision of the heart by the Spirit of Christ. And everywhere the Spirit of God touches or dwells becomes Holy. "Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." And the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
Why are your conclusions about the Eucharist being metaphor more compelling than the teaching of the apostles as recorded by their disciples and the next generation of disciples?

What compelling evidence can you provide that I should take your conclusions over their teaching?

iakov the fool

both of you present a good case .i am some what on the fence i do agree the blood is not physician or the unleavened bread his physical body . but paul does teach it is his body and Blood how it becomes this can only be by the spirit

Why are your conclusions about the Eucharist being metaphor more compelling than the teaching of the apostles as recorded by their disciples and the next generation of disciples?

What compelling evidence can you provide that I should take your conclusions over their teaching?

iakov the fool
Which of you can tell me that you drank actual blood and ate actual flesh.?
Because of the many other scriptures that state we are saved by faith in Jesus not be consuming His flesh and blood. As in those that come to Him and believe in Him. So I don't see your compelling evidence.
This cant be literal. If it is we are saved by communion alone. That not what was taught by the Apostles nor Jesus.
Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you

I believe this
“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

He drank wine not blood.
Luke 22
After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. 18 For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”
19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

I have been hungry and thirsty. He's not talking about eating and drinking. He's talking about coming to Him by faith.
John 6

I can. Jesus said that's what it is. I'm not second-guessing Him.
He who made the heavens and the earth can make the bread His flesh and the wine His blood without me noticing it.

You didn't answer my questions.
Here: another chance:

i said it was transformed by the holy spirit there is some symbolism but it does say my body my blood. its like the spirit birth
i have presented my point it semi agrees with Jim and you have valid points in a nutshell it is a mystery and when we partake of it .it should be done in much prayer .it is very sacred and should be administered under the guidance of the Holy spirit . warning what it means to partake in a unworthy manner . i started this post so as i could weigh all comments

I can. Jesus said that's what it is. I'm not second-guessing Him.
He who made the heavens and the earth can make the bread His flesh and the wine His blood without me noticing it.

You didn't answer my questions.
Here: another chance:

I did answer your questions. And you answered mine "you didn't notice it". That's not compelling to me. If you drank actual blood and ate actual flesh how can you not notice it?

When God told Abraham to kill his son... Abraham set about doing just that

When God told Noah it was going to rain... even though it never had before he built the ark God said he needed.

When things look hopeless, helpless, confusing and never going to be true BUT GOD says, "Whatever"...some people believe the "Whatever"...and for some reason it always turns out OK for them.

Jesus says that drinking the wine is his blood...ok.... Jesus says that this matza is his flesh...ok. Jesus says "you ain't gotta bite me"... even better.

Because of the many other scriptures that state we are saved by faith in Jesus not be consuming His flesh and blood. As in those that come to Him and believe in Him. So I don't see your compelling evidence.
This cant be literal. If it is we are saved by communion alone. That not what was taught by the Apostles nor Jesus.
Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you

I believe this
“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

He drank wine not blood.
Luke 22
After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. 18 For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”
19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

I have been hungry and thirsty. He's not talking about eating and drinking. He's talking about coming to Him by faith.
John 6

1 question is the
Eucharist / communion sacred yes or no

When God told Abraham to kill his son... Abraham set about doing just that

When God told Noah it was going to rain... even though it never had before he built the ark God said he needed.

When things look hopeless, helpless, confusing and never going to be true BUT GOD says, "Whatever"...some people believe the "Whatever"...and for some reason it always turns out OK for them.

Jesus says that drinking the wine is his blood...ok.... Jesus says that this matza is his flesh...ok. Jesus says "you ain't gotta bite me"... even better.
That's not all He stated and I don't believe He was speaking of drinking blood or eating flesh for salvation. It's not cohesive with many other scriptures about coming to Him and believing in Him. So I don't take it as literal.(below)

That's not all He stated and I don't believe He was speaking of drinking blood or eating flesh for salvation. It's not cohesive with many other scriptures about coming to Him and believing in Him. So I don't take it as literal.(below)
I understand your position...

And the people Jesus said this to thought it much more revolting than modern day society does.

But can you accept the fact that some people believe that it doesn't matter what God says...it's true no matter what.

1 question is the
Eucharist / communion sacred yes or no
Since it has a memorial context for Jesus I would consider it Holy. As in representative of the flesh and blood of Christ not literally the flesh and blood of Christ and certainly not needed for salvation. That would be as in the last supper. John 6 to me is Jesus telling that people to come to Him and believe in Him and apart from Him they have no eternal life. The living bread that came down from heaven.

I understand your position...

And the people Jesus said this to thought it much more revolting than modern day society does.

But can you accept the fact that some people believe that it doesn't matter what God says...it's true no matter what.
I stated ok to Jim then explained why I don't take John 6 literally to mean eating and drinking. To me the last supper was Jesus with His disciples having what we call communion. He drank of the fruit of the vine.

The Lord said, these words are Spirit and they are life. There's definitely more to taking communion than meets the eye. It's a spiritual thing and something happens to the bread & wine in the spiritual realm that we dont get to see. It has to happen though and is very likely part of the sanctification process, as well as a reverant rememberance of what exactly He did for us.

I think it sounds weird to some because it sounds cannibalistic but we have to remember that everything on earth is a cheap imitation of something spiritual (on a fallen earth) so we just dont understand the entire ramifications of its purpose and full meaning...we just do it because He said to.

Since it has a memorial context for Jesus I would consider it Holy. As in representative of the flesh and blood of Christ not literally the flesh and blood of Christ and certainly not needed for salvation. That would be as in the last supper. John 6 to me is Jesus telling that people to come to Him and believe in Him and apart from Him they have no eternal life. The living bread that came down from heaven.
it should be considered very sacred not for salvation as only the saved are to partake of it

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back