Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The F word

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Don't worry guys and gals. No swearing in this thread. I just want to ask a few questions regarding fundamentalism.

Now I'll nail my flag to the mast right away and say I am a fundamentalist. Meaning I believe what the bible says and I choose it over all else.

Bit why is the word fundamentalist view with such distain? It has been used as a derogatory term for many years and even by christians. Should we use the word orthodox instead?

I am convinced that if God wants to preserve his word until now , he can do it and I also believe that the scriptures are god breathed, the originals that is.
After a passage of scripture has been interpreted' or made plain, then should we not rather obey and believe rather than go from dan to Beersheba to get around passages we don't like?

I just don't see how people in good conscience can ignore passages of scripture and take liberal,views , in the face of contrary evidence and still persist in error?

Is it just me that feels this way, or am I wrong, god changes and his words are meaningless?

As words go, I prefer orthodox to fundamentalism.... not so much because there's a lot of difference between the two in Christianity... but because "fundamentalists" of other religions are seen as both fringe and extreme. Think Muslim fundamentalists and how they degrade and abuse women or Hindu extremists who are killing minorities and Christians in India. When the world thinks of fundamentalists, there is a very bad connotation and in the case of Christian fundamentalists the world will think... mainly because the media sets the dialog this way... of Fred Phelps and his hateful rhetoric or Scott Roeder who walked into a church and shot abortion doctor George R. Tiller to death.

Whereas "orthodox" carries with it ideas of all that you describe.... a holding to the traditional understanding that Scripture is both inspired by God, inerrant and every bit as applicable to you and me as it was to the early church... that one should believe the "right teaching" (i.e. the message that God Himself desires us to have) of the bible instead of simply looking at the words of Christ as a moral barometer, something to compare our lives to, something to live up to.... a philosophy... rather than actual, non-negotiable and wholly correct commandments to apply to all aspects of our lives. And this is just the words of Christ... the rest of the Scriptures get even more negotiable ... how was it explained to me so often in the ELCA... that God inspired the original messages in the Scriptures... but we need to understand that it was to those people in that time... not necessarily apply them as written for the Church for all time.

Orthodox is a way better description in the current climate. The Media have taken the word Fundamentalist and turned it into a descriptor for a fanatically violent religious person. So once you say Fundamentalist to the average person they will quickly get images of bombings, beheadings and virulent anger. They will then shut the doors to what ever you say and look upon you as guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Don't worry guys and gals. No swearing in this thread. I just want to ask a few questions regarding fundamentalism.

Now I'll nail my flag to the mast right away and say I am a fundamentalist. Meaning I believe what the bible says and I choose it over all else.

Bit why is the word fundamentalist view with such distain? It has been used as a derogatory term for many years and even by christians. Should we use the word orthodox instead?

I am convinced that if God wants to preserve his word until now , he can do it and I also believe that the scriptures are god breathed, the originals that is.
After a passage of scripture has been interpreted' or made plain, then should we not rather obey and believe rather than go from dan to Beersheba to get around passages we don't like?

I just don't see how people in good conscience can ignore passages of scripture and take liberal,views , in the face of contrary evidence and still persist in error?

Is it just me that feels this way, or am I wrong, god changes and his words are meaningless?

Your right I definately don't know what it has become a bad word. Lots of people wanna ride along as society "moves forward," with gay marriage, abortion, women's 'issues,' but we follow God's law and that does not change. Thank God!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back