Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Fallacy of Freewill

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Coming to the Lord is God ordained. A man can't decide to follow Jesus BEFORE being led to Jesus by the Father. But once we have been grafted into Christ THEN it is up to us to be diligent and obedient and continually wait on the Lord.

So we have free will before meeting the Lord....but outside His will and life. Then GOD DECIDES to regenerate us. THEN we have free will to do His will or not.

I like this post and I think this is what Pard was getting at in his post (just before yours). The part I like most is the notion that "it is up to us to be diligent and obedient...." I absolutely believe that. The part that is not discussed that I would add is that, while we will have trials and decisions to make, not only did God know what we would choose (most folks have no problem with that) he also preplanned those choices. To put it another way, it's His will that we make the choices we make -- good or "bad". So I don't entirely agree with the notion that [after he regenerates us] we have free will to do his will or not. Yes, we have the responsibility to make such choices, but it is His preplanned will all along. Even when we seemingly make the wrong choices.

Some scripture to consider in light of this viewpoint: Psa 37:23, Isa 46:10, Rom 8:28-30, among others.

Jesus died for all men, and the invitation to salvation was extended to all men, but no man will every pick their own salvation without the Lord giving them the power to pick for salvation, and when that power is given no man will ever pick against salvation. Truly, even your "choice" to pick the Gospel of Jesus Christ was God's gift, knowing full well that if He gave you that gift you would always pick the RIGHT choice, because when He gives you that power your eyes are opened and you realize that the choice is either death or life.

So are you saying that Mankind will NOT use his Free Will to choose salvation through Christ, when the option to do so has already been offered to all of Mankind through the Gift of Grace, by the act of Christ on the Cross? Are you saying that it is actually God who chooses to act upon us in order for us to make that choice not entirely of our own Free Will?

OR are you saying that Mankind cannot choose, by his own Free Will, to come to Christ unless God has first offered to us the option to do so? If you are saying this, I could agree, as I have said previously, Mankind has the free will to either obey or to disobey the Will of God.

Lord, why do men not read that which I write, and then insist to pose questions which would not even exist if they merely read that which I wrote? My only conclusion, of Father, is that through love and patience You wish that I further glorify You!

Brother, I cannot stress enough:

MEN HAVE FREE WILL! No one is saying that a man doesn't have the ability to decide for one thing over another! If this is what you believe sovereign grace teaches, then you have been misled by those who do not wish for you to know the truth of the matter! Calvinism is not in opposition to the matter of man have free will, rather, calvinism states that the free will of man CAN NEVER DECIDE FOR THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. That ability was taken from us when Adam freely decided to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Your ability to decide for the correct and proper path was stripped of you on that day and at that very moment!

It is only through God that the choice can be revived in you, it is only through Jesus that you can use your God given free will to decide for your own salvation.

Don't you see? The mere ability for you to pick the Lord is a gift of the Lord!

Jesus died for all men, and the invitation to salvation was extended to all men, but no man will every pick their own salvation without the Lord giving them the power to pick for salvation, and when that power is given no man will ever pick against salvation. Truly, even your "choice" to pick the Gospel of Jesus Christ was God's gift, knowing full well that if He gave you that gift you would always pick the RIGHT choice, because when He gives you that power your eyes are opened and you realize that the choice is either death or life.

For this reason I wrote the title topic as "The Fallacy of Free Will" I did not declare that free will is a fallacy, but rather that there is often a fallacious nature to the free will that is spoken of in reverence at so many churches today.

You first say man has free will but then say "Calvinism is not in opposition to the matter of man have free will, rather, calvinism states that the free will of man CAN NEVER DECIDE FOR THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. That ability was taken from us when Adam freely decided to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Your ability to decide for the correct and proper path was stripped of you on that day and at that very moment!"

Having only one option to choose is not free will. Free will is choosing between two or more options. Given only one option is forcing to take that one option. You go on to say that choice between good and bad has been stripped, so you are saying free will has been stripped away from man.
Gen 4:7, Cain had a choice to do well or not do well.

I have heard that when Mr Ford first produced the model T, he told people they can have one in any color they choose...as long as they choose black.

On another forum, a person used to argue to me that man has free will...he has free will to choose what God makes him choose. :lol

Coming to the Lord is God ordained. A man can't decide to follow Jesus BEFORE being led to Jesus by the Father. But once we have been grafted into Christ THEN it is up to us to be diligent and obedient and continually wait on the Lord.

So we have free will before meeting the Lord....but outside His will and life. Then GOD DECIDES to regenerate us. THEN we have free will to do His will or not.

Then if I do not come to the Lord, then whose fault is that? It certainly is not my fault. So you have fault and blame falling upon God. God becomes culpable for the lost, then man has excuse and can find fault with God.

Mt 28:11 "Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

The verb 'come' is in the imperative mood. Christ commands man to come unto Him so the imperative shows that not only does man have responsibility to come to Christ but also has the ability within him to come to Christ.

You first say man has free will but then say "Calvinism is not in opposition to the matter of man have free will, rather, calvinism states that the free will of man CAN NEVER DECIDE FOR THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. That ability was taken from us when Adam freely decided to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Your ability to decide for the correct and proper path was stripped of you on that day and at that very moment!"

Having only one option to choose is not free will. Free will is choosing between two or more options. Given only one option is forcing to take that one option. You go on to say that choice between good and bad has been stripped, so you are saying free will has been stripped away from man.
Gen 4:7, Cain had a choice to do well or not do well.

I have heard that when Mr Ford first produced the model T, he told people they can have one in any color they choose...as long as they choose black.

On another forum, a person used to argue to me that man has free will...he has free will to choose what God makes him choose. :lol

Let's assume that you are a perfectly normal person (as I do believe you are) and are not interested in any of the odd and perverse forms of pleasure some people enjoy (painful such stuff). Now, be truly honest, as I am sure you will quickly see where I am going with this. I also ask that, for the purpose of this that you pretend to be heaten (not Christian), as this is the brunt of the matter!

I give you two options:

You can have sex/money/drugs/fame/glory ("pleasure") or you can have chastity/poverty/sobriety/anonymity/shame. (Basically, as an un believer would see it, the pleasures of the world vs. the shackles of Christianity) Which would you pick?

This is how our free will works. It will pick the pleasures of the world because Christianity looks so unappealing. Who would want that? You get made fun of, you have to say no to partying with hot women who want you, you have to give your money to people. That's how the world sees Christianity. That is how your will sees it and that is why you will never pick Christianity without God first changing the eyes of the will. It isn't that you have one choice to pick, it's that you have two and only one is any good and the other is total rubbish.

Then God comes and flicks the switch that He installed within you and BOOM! You see the TRUTH. You see that what you thought was the pleasures of the world was actually damnation and death, and what you thought was a terribly boring Christianity is actually the most amazing joy you can ever experience. In an instant the eyes of the will change and you see that there is only one choice because the other choice is death.

I think I am done with this topic after this. It's silly to keep saying the same thing that I have been saying from the very first post, over and over and over again. Sometimes you just have to plant the seed and walk away. Throwing more and more seed onto the ground isn't going to make the plant sprout any sooner.

Let's assume that you are a perfectly normal person (as I do believe you are) and are not interested in any of the odd and perverse forms of pleasure some people enjoy (painful such stuff). Now, be truly honest, as I am sure you will quickly see where I am going with this. I also ask that, for the purpose of this that you pretend to be heaten (not Christian), as this is the brunt of the matter!

I give you two options:

You can have sex/money/drugs/fame/glory ("pleasure") or you can have chastity/poverty/sobriety/anonymity/shame. (Basically, as an un believer would see it, the pleasures of the world vs. the shackles of Christianity) Which would you pick?

This is how our free will works. It will pick the pleasures of the world because Christianity looks so unappealing. Who would want that? You get made fun of, you have to say no to partying with hot women who want you, you have to give your money to people. That's how the world sees Christianity. That is how your will sees it and that is why you will never pick Christianity without God first changing the eyes of the will. It isn't that you have one choice to pick, it's that you have two and only one is any good and the other is total rubbish.

Then God comes and flicks the switch that He installed within you and BOOM! You see the TRUTH. You see that what you thought was the pleasures of the world was actually damnation and death, and what you thought was a terribly boring Christianity is actually the most amazing joy you can ever experience. In an instant the eyes of the will change and you see that there is only one choice because the other choice is death.

I think I am done with this topic after this. It's silly to keep saying the same thing that I have been saying from the very first post, over and over and over again. Sometimes you just have to plant the seed and walk away. Throwing more and more seed onto the ground isn't going to make the plant sprout any sooner.

Again, free will requires at least two options to choose from. If man is only able to choose pleasure then man has no free will in this matter. But man does have free will in this matter for man does not always choose pleasure:

Gen 39:7 "And it came to pass after these things, that his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me."

Gen 39:8 "But he refused, and said unto his master's wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what [is] with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand;"

Gen 39:10 "And it came to pass, as she spake to Joseph day by day, that he hearkened not unto her, to lie by her, [or] to be with her."

Heb 11:24 "By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;"

Heb 11:25 "Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; "

The bible plainly shows that man has free will.

Thanks for the debate.

Throwing more and more seed onto the ground isn't going to make the plant sprout any sooner.
Good point. As a farmer I can tell you that too much seed density has a tendancy to choke each other.

...SNIP....

I give you two options:

Given the example in your post above, you are not, in my opinion, advocating that Mankind doesn’t have a Free Will. This is good as we now have a common ground to further discuss. As I now might better understand your point of view.

Is it accurate for me to say, that what you are basically saying is that: without the Truth of salvation through the word of God, Mankind will not have a Will or desire to choose a path that leads to salvation through the Work of Christ Jesus on the Cross? Rather, Mankind will choose a path that immediately satisfies his own selfish Will which leads to destruction?

If so, I do not see how God hinders or subverts the Free Will of Mankind by revealing his Word. I would agree that the act of God to reveal the truth of his word to Man has a tendency to have Man respond in a positive way toward the Will of God. Just look at the conversion of Saul! However, I disagree entirely that the choice of death is not a choice at all, as you so stated that the only choice is life.

There will be many who have chosen destruction. God acknowledges this in his word. God even knows who will choose life and who will choose death. Yet, God didn’t predetermine who those people would be. God by His nature simply knows who they will be; not because they were created with the predetermined fate of death, but because God exist in all of time and out of time. God has, in a sense, in a paradox of reasoning, already judged those who will have chosen death. I know that, that will be a hard thing for many to wrap their minds around. However, God has already seen, even is, the future, he is the past and he is the present. God is, indeed, “I amâ€.

Now, because I am Human, and cannot see what is to come or what has passed or even all that is present. I personally struggle with one thing. Why is it, that God allowed Man Free Will? God reveals to us in his Word that his creation of Man was good; I can only imagine then what it will be like when those who have chosen death perish and those who have chosen life, by the Grace and mercy of God, enter into heaven to truly fellowship with God.

Oh, it makes it a reality, but the reality that God knows, ordained and preplanned our life is not a reality, is merely a doctrine?!?!

You have a scripture that supports your view of predestination?

Like I said, just because Paul uttered the words "free will" (and the KJV doesn't say that, and the verse in that version is pretty different from the one you quoted) doesn't make it something we have -- at least in the sense most people view "free will".

Well the version I used is the NASB, considered by most to be the best English translation technically that there is. However you will also find the words 'free will' in the Mounce Translation of the NT. It is done by a father and son team who are considered the pre-eminent scholars of our day, in Greek translation.
FYI, most people DON'T use the KJV. You know many people used your same reasoning to claim today that Paul wasn't an Apostle. Just because he said it.
I'll will put my money on Paul and his understanding of God's will and word above anybody, except Jesus. If it wasn't a valid concept in God's sight, Paul would allude to it. It may be the sole place the 'words' are found, but the concept exists throughout the Bible.

Do you care about context? You seem to think it doesn't matter, just that the words are there. It doesn't matter who Paul was addressing and it doesn't matter that a slave's treatment and forgiveness was the subject matter of the letter?

Context, context, context. These are three most important words in hermeneutical exegesis. Most Bible professors will attest to that. However not ALL sentecnes in a letter relate to the context. The subject matter is defintely Onesimus, but the context of where we find verse 14, is Paul's explanation of what is thoughts were in arriving at his request to Philemon about Onesimus. Totally within the context of this passage. BTW, the subject matter was Onesimus and his freedom, NOT forgiveness. Paul mentions it as an afterthought.

So you are going to bring up Calvin, huh? Have you actually read his work?

You may as well ask me if I've read the Quran. Why would I waste my time?
I also have not read Arminius. I know how to read the Bible and I know the Holy Spirit makes it real to me. I don't need a couple of 16th century so-called Bible scholars to tell me what THEY think it says. Five centuries later, we have much more knowledge than they did. Lots of things happened and some things were discovered, or invented, like the flush toilet, but KNOWLEDGE did NOT end there.
Our knowledge has come as far now, as it had them from 5000 BC.

That true light

Well, knowing that the Lord Jesus Christ is that true light which lighteth every man that cometh into the world... And knowing that every man does not accept the free gift... Then obviously men are free to embrace or reject the truth of the gospel.

Irresistible grace is certainly not correct. I would agree that the truth is undeniable although it is not irresistible.. Just try being a Christian for any length of time..

I think Calvin messed up pretty bad when it comes to predestination and election.. The Lord Jesus Christ is God's elect... Period, end of story.

You have a scripture that supports your view of predestination?

Yes, Stan... You know I do and you know what they are. I've already listed three of them.... If you don't know what verses talk about predestination and such, then you shouldn't be a part of this thread.

Well the version I used is the NASB, considered by most to be the best English translation technically that there is. However you will also find the words 'free will' in the Mounce Translation of the NT. It is done by a father and son team who are considered the pre-eminent scholars of our day, in Greek translation.
FYI, most people DON'T use the KJV. You know many people used your same reasoning to claim today that Paul wasn't an Apostle. Just because he said it.
I'll will put my money on Paul and his understanding of God's will and word above anybody, except Jesus. If it wasn't a valid concept in God's sight, Paul would allude to it. It may be the sole place the 'words' are found, but the concept exists throughout the Bible.

Once agan, you are presenting something that has absolutely no relevence to the thread. Why do you keep doing that? i actually have a suspiscion why you included this.... But regardless it does not add anything to the topic and does not help your arguement.

Context, context, context. These are three most important words in hermeneutical exegesis. Most Bible professors will attest to that. However not ALL sentecnes in a letter relate to the context. The subject matter is defintely Onesimus, but the context of where we find verse 14, is Paul's explanation of what is thoughts were in arriving at his request to Philemon about Onesimus. Totally within the context of this passage. BTW, the subject matter was Onesimus and his freedom, NOT forgiveness. Paul mentions it as an afterthought.

Still, there is absolutely NOTHING that suggests this means we have free will. You merely found the term "free will" in the Bible and thus decided God gives us free will. And no... it is not about Onesimus' freedom.... However, I won't go into that and allow the topic to be sidetracked.

You may as well ask me if I've read the Quran. Why would I waste my time?
I also have not read Arminius. I know how to read the Bible and I know the Holy Spirit makes it real to me. I don't need a couple of 16th century so-called Bible scholars to tell me what THEY think it says. Five centuries later, we have much more knowledge than they did. Lots of things happened and some things were discovered, or invented, like the flush toilet, but KNOWLEDGE did NOT end there.
Our knowledge has come as far now, as it had them from 5000 BC.

This is actually amazing.... if you bring up his name and attribute a theory to him then you really ought to not be ignorant about him. It would be like trying to discuss Jesus' teachings without ever having read any of the 4 gospels. It would be like trying to discuss the US structure of Government without ever having read the Constitution. Only fools do this!

It is an interesting opinion for you to say we have much more knowledge than they did, especially when it is clear that you have absolutely no idea how much they had since you consider reading what they say a waste of time.

My opinion, based on the many non-biblical doctrines I see in many denominational churches today is that we have regressed in Bible knowledge. And by the way, I am dying to know exactly why you think the flushable toilet adds to our knowledge about God! I mean, for you is there a relationship between the toilet and your Bible reading?

Stan.... Your posts are making less sense to me each time you offer them...

Yes, Stan... You know I do and you know what they are. I've already listed three of them.... If you don't know what verses talk about predestination and such, then you shouldn't be a part of this thread.

Nice deflection and brush off Slider. You did the same to Ernest when he cornered you as well. If you are going to pull that every time you get cornered after you comment on my posts or anyone's post, then why bother? I don't remember all the posts I have responded to and I don't need to. CF has the proper tools to be able to follow comments, and when you say you don't want to pursue a thread anymore, then come in later to respond to someone else's post, it's not being honest at all.

Once again, you are presenting something that has absolutely no relevance to the thread. Why do you keep doing that? i actually have a suspicion why you included this.... But regardless it does not add anything to the topic and does not help your argument.

Then why did YOU bring it up? You make an assertion, I address it and you say it's irrelevant? Sorry Slider, but you seem to have a very bazaar understanding of what a debate forum is all about. You have to back your opinions or assertions with facts. We use the Bible as support. Your not accepting the Bible is your problem which you should take up with your Saviour.

Still, there is absolutely NOTHING that suggests this means we have free will. You merely found the term "free will" in the Bible and thus decided God gives us free will. And no... it is not about Onesimus' freedom.... However, I won't go into that and allow the topic to be sidetracked.

So you're saying Paul lied when he said Philemon had his own free will? Paul identified a free will that you say doesn't exist? Hmmm, I think I'll side with Paul on this. You do like the stick and carrot approach to posting on forums don't you?
That really only works on donkeys you know.

This is actually amazing.... if you bring up his name and attribute a theory to him then you really ought to not be ignorant about him. It would be like trying to discuss Jesus' teachings without ever having read any of the 4 gospels. It would be like trying to discuss the US structure of Government without ever having read the Constitution. Only fools do this!

Well your insult aside, I haven't had to read his doctrine because I've debated tons of Calvinists, who tell me all about it. Now if they are wrong about his works, then that wouldn't be surprising to me. Paul says to study to show yourself approved. He was referring to God's word, NOT other writings. I don't need some 16th century, humanist lawyer, to tell me how he interpreted the RC Bible. Why would anyone do that with all the tools we have had to properly study the Bible over the past 40 years? I'll make you a side bet that I know much more about your government structure, than you know about mine.

It is an interesting opinion for you to say we have much more knowledge than they did, especially when it is clear that you have absolutely no idea how much they had since you consider reading what they say a waste of time.

Well just as Jesus said they shall know us by our love one to another, I know Calvin by the things his followers spout off on these type of forums. So either there are some pretty illiterate Calvinists out these, or they properly conveyed his message, which I have found to be totally inaccurate and misleading and a great dis-service to many believers.

My opinion, based on the many non-biblical doctrines I see in many denominational churches today is that we have regressed in Bible knowledge. And by the way, I am dying to know exactly why you think the flushable toilet adds to our knowledge about God! I mean, for you is there a relationship between the toilet and your Bible reading?

Well maybe that's your problem? You spend way to much time running around to many churches, instead of staying put and learning in one church.
I never said flushable toilets added to our knowledge of God. I guess I'm not surprised at your comment on this though...you seem to have a hard time understanding exactly WHAT context is.

Stan.... Your posts are making less sense to me each time you offer them...

That's too bad Slider... I was kind of hoping you would learn something here.
Guess I'm just wasting my time on you?

2.5: Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities.

Any personal problems with another member, then deal with it through private messages.

Due to what WIP requested, post deleted.

To Stan...

If you want to further discuss to topic of free will, please do so. I feel much of what you said in your previous post towards me was inaccurate, and addressed it. However, I'll let it go as requested by WIP.

Let me address the topic of Calvin and Calvinists. In short, often times when someone (like myself) takes any sort of a stance against the concept of free will, they are labeled a Calvinist. I myself am not a Calvinist, as I don't agree with all the tenets of what "Calvinism" says.

Calvin himself wrote very little (that I could find in his works, which are quite extensive) about the concept of TULIP. he did not come up with the acronym (his followers did after he passed away), and while some of his writings support it, others do not.

It's a pet peeve of mine when Calvin is confused with "Calvinism". It's unfair to Calvin himself, and to be called a "Calvinist" is sometimes unfair to those given the label. So, when discussing free will, Calvin himself shouldn't even be brought up unless you are going to quote him (which I haven't done, nor intend to). In short, Calvin wasn't even a Calvinist!!!!

In an attempt to move the conversation along and back on track, in post #161 I gave three verses (and said they weren't the only ones) which speak of predestination and/or otherwise note a preplanned agenda (not just God knowing our decisions before they happen) for our lives. These verse are Psa 37:23, Isa 46:10, Rom 8:28-30.

I'm not going to ask you to respond to those verses. If you want to, fine. If you want to get back to the book of Philemon, that'd be ok too. If you want to go a different direction in the conversation, feel free to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
In an attempt to move the conversation along and back on track, in post #161 I gave three verses (and said they weren't the only ones) which speak of predestination and/or otherwise note a preplanned agenda (not just God knowing our decisions before they happen) for our lives. These verse are Psa 37:23, Isa 46:10, Rom 8:28-30.

OK so Ps 37:23; The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him;
Rom 28:29; For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son.

They say the same thing basically. God has a plan for those who dedicate themselves to Jesus.

Is 46:10; I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’
I like v13 as well; I am bringing my righteousness near, it is not far away;
and my salvation will not be delayed. I will grant salvation to Zion, my splendor to Israel.

Notice God says 'grant' and not 'force'.
Romans 8:28-30; 28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

So here God works for the good to those that love Him. We don't work.
Those who love Him are those he foreknew would love Him and accept His salvation.
Those that accept His salvation/Jesus, are predestined to be conformed to Jesus' image.
Verse 30 is pretty clear as to what happens next.

Then there is Romans 10:9-13; If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,†and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in Him will never be put to shame.†12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile —the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on Him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.â€

God isn't telling us we will do this, He is saying IF you do this. I would have to say God acknowledges our free will here pretty clearly. This is just ONE example of free will in the Bible, both in the OT and NT. It was something Adam and Eve had in the beginning, and it has never been talken away from us, nor will it ever.

For Stan

Psalms 37:23 in the KJV says:

The steps of a goodman are ordered by the LORD: and hedelighteth in his way.

This means that the Lord has set them up. He has caused, established, fixed andappointed them. In other words, the walkof a good man – those that are His – are indeed predestinated and they weredone so before we took them.

Isa 46:10 says:

Declaring the end fromthe beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying,My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

This is pretty clear. Before anything is done – including what we do – God declared it willhappen. It does not only mean God knowsit will happen, it means God called and caused the action to happen. That is why he said, “I will do all mypleasureâ€. We can’t do anything tochange it.

You wanted to discuss verse 13 of that chapter:

I bring near myrighteousness; it shall not be far off, and my salvation shall not tarry: and I will place salvation in Zion for Israelmy glory.

According to the Bible version you quoted, it says “grantâ€,but the KJV says “will placeâ€. I don’thave a problem with the word either way. Both versions note some things. First, the Lord is bringing his righteousness; and second, it’s not faroff. In other words, it’s going tohappen. He didn’t note anything couldstop it, since he made a declaration and he is going to do his will as he seesfit.

I want to comment on what you placed emphasis on,however. You noted it says (according towhichever Bible you were quoting) that it says “grant†and not “forceâ€. I’m not sure where your mind is or what youwere thinking. We are talking about theLord’s will. Why is your language saying“forcedâ€? It’s a rather negative way oflooking at it. God has a will, a planand a set path for you and you are questioning whether it’s being forced onyou?

God actually did “force†Paul into submission, as he didJonas. You can play with the wording,but if you say you have a choice when you are blind in the street or in awhale’s belly, you don’t have a choice. You are being held captive. However, they both worked out for good. It just seems strange to me thatthe flesh will question whether something good is being forced on us instead ofa plan being put into action for our good.

I absolutely would be concerned if the Lord said, “Slider,you are going to go through some hardships.†My flesh wouldn’t like it, but if I am going to believe Romans 8:28, Ihave to believe it’s for my good. On the other hand, I would never say God’s “forcingâ€me to eat a piece of chocolate cake if he said, “You are going to eat a pieceof chocolate cake.â€

So I don’t know where your thinking is. God’s will for us is good, even if it isn’tpleasurable. To complain that it is“forced†seems to me to be saying we don’t want God’s will at all. However, in either sense, the verse doesn’tsay he was going to offer his righteousness. He said it was coming. We can’teven do anything to delay it.

Speaking of Romans 8:28-30… he said it was predestinated. I have no problem with what you said aboutit, but the fact that it is predestinated not only means God knows it’s goingto happen, but he (as Isaiah said) he declared it.

We move on to Romans 10:9-13. The KJV words it differently, but not sodrastically that I have to quote and compare the two versions. It is true that God is saying, “If you dothis, then here is what is going to happen…†It is also true that God isn’t telling us we will do this, but Isaiah’ssayings and Plsams does. God did declareit and ordered it. He could have easilysaid, “Paul, if you preach change your heart and go to Damascus and meet withAnanias, then you will be able to preach the gospel to the gentiles.†Absolutely true! It does not, however, change the fact thatthe Lord was in control and he got what he wanted despite what Paulwanted.

I want to discuss another verse which is pretty pertinent toRomans 10:9-13.

John 10:27-28 (KJV)

My sheep hear myvoice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neithershall any man pluck them out of my hand.

I don’t mind playing, “let’s see what it doesn’t say…†solet’s do that. It does not say, “Mysheep are invited to follow meâ€, nor does it say, “I want them to follow me,but they have a choice not to.†It saysthey HEAR and FOLLOW. We could easilysay God “grants†them eternal life, but it does not change the fact that thesheep hear and follow. That’s what theydo. It’s in their spiritual DNA to do so. In theory, we can say that they can rebel andtry not to hear and follow, but the verse never says that. It says THEY DO…

Furthermore, let me point out these verses also say no manshall pluck them out of my hand. On thesurface, we take that to mean that Bob can’t prevent John’s salvation. That is true, but it says, “any manâ€. If John is a man, then John can’t even pluckhimself out of God’s hand. It does notsay, “neither shall any other man pluck them out of my hand.â€

John 10:29 continues on this point:

My Father, which gavethem me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of myFather’s hand.

We seem to have a choice to follow the Lord. We have the ability to say within ourselves,“I’m not sure I want to do this.†And wemay decide not to. The Bible discussessuch people:

Mat 22:14

For many are called,but few are chosen.

We can’t “force†the Lord to call on us, neither can we“force†to be chosen. It is the Lord’sdecision, and as discussed, he’s already made the decision. Now, what about those who are called, butseemingly decide not to take the walk in the Lord?

1 John 2:19:

They went out from us,but they were not of us: for if they hadbeen of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, thatthey might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

This describes the “called†but not “chosenâ€. Those that were called, but “decided†theywould not go with the Lord’s path never were the Lord’s sheep. God even said there would be a few goatsamong the flock. Furthermore, God evengives a reason why they showed up in the first place but decided not tofollow. “that they might be mademanifest that they were not all of us.â€

You brought up Adam and Eve having free will. Do you have a verse that says they do or areyou just assuming they did? Yes, itappears that they “made the choiceâ€, but was it part of God’s overallplan? I have a verse that says Jesus wasslain before the foundation of the world, which indicates that not only did Godknow it was going to happen, but that he made a provision before hand. Knowing that God declared the end from thebeginning, he also had the will that it would happen.

Here are some more verses that show that God made thedecision and not us:

1Pe 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledgeof God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience andsprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, bemultiplied.

(God knew before hand)

2Ti 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may alsoobtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

(One cannot elect himself)

1Pe 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifestin these last times for you,

(God foreordained us)

1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock ofoffense, even to them which stumble at the word, beingdisobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

(we were appointed by God, and so were those who don’twalk with God)

2Ti 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us witha holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in ChristJesus before the world began,

(It is according to God’s purpose and was given beforethe world began)

Isa 48:3 I have declaredthe former things from the beginning; and they went forth out of my mouth,and I showed them; I did themsuddenly, and they came to pass.

(This is exactly what God said in chapter 46… Goddeclared them from the beginning and HE id them, not us)

Act 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of menfor to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of theirhabitation;

(God determined and appointed. We don’t appoint ourselves)

Mar 4:11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdomof God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

Mar 4:12 Thatseeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand;lest at any time they should be converted,and their sins should be forgiven them.

(Jesus spoke in parables so they wouldn’t understand,because he didn’t want them converted).

Jud 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to thiscondemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness,and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

(People are ordained to condemnation by God beforethey actually do anything)

Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us inhim before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and withoutblame before him in love:

Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us untothe adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the goodpleasure of his will,

Joh 15:16 Ye havenot chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go andbring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever yeshall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

(we don’t make the choice, God does)

Re: For Stan

Slider,
In reading back a few posts and reading this post by you, you seem to be trying to explain the existance of predestination doctrine as that established by John Calvin with a lot of adaptations by subsequent theologians.

You made this statement in a previous post...
Let me address the topic of Calvin and Calvinists. In short, often times when someone (like myself) takes any sort of a stance against the concept of free will, they are labeled a Calvinist. I myself am not a Calvinist, as I don't agree with all the tenets of what "Calvinism" says.
It is true today that Calvinism as Calvin developed it hardly exists any longer. But when anyone either states, or implies that man does not have a "free will" they will invaribly assume some form of Calvin's predestination theology. He is the only person in the the last 2000 years that has developed a whole system of theology based on predestination, which the lack of free will is of a necessity. Free will and predestination are mutually exclusive. Many reformed theologians have over the last 500 years tried to ameliorate the stark unscriptural premise of predestination.
However, no matter how you try to soften the doctrine, as long as it remains it will speak contradictory of scripture which is wholly based on man being created with a rational soul, a free will. A will that is independent of God's will. A will that man is obligated to submit to God's will to fulfill the meaning of our very existance.
Predestination is not a new term from Calvin though He was the first to develop a doctrine and a whole system around it. Augustine is the first to mention it. It was solely his view, it was not a belief of the Church at that time, nor since. The concept lay dormant for 1000 years before Calvin, an Augustinian, resurrected it and fleshed it out based on his interpretation of scripture.
Augustine did not get the idea from scripture. Augustine was greatly influenced by Manicheanism/Gnosticism, a former belief he had before he converted to Christianity. Mani the founder of Manicheanism assimulated many views form of existing forms of religion, including some of Christianity, but mostly of Gnosticism, Zoastroism. Augustine was also a student of neo-plotonism which can also be seen in his theology. But predestination is a basis of Gnosticism, not scripture.

Now lets look at a couple of your statments in this post. I''l let Stan53 respond to each individually if he so chooses. He has that free will, he is not predestined to answer to your statments no more than you were predestined to write them.
The steps of a goodman are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

Before man can become good, which in Psalms is one who like David believes. His steps are ordered, not forced, or compelled. God before time had created the path that all believers would of necessity need to follow IF they expected to be saved. There is no predestination here of someone to become a believer, or even predestined those steps of any particular person. It is akin to the idea that God created the narrow road, and we can either take the narrow road with its obligations or take the broad road which leads to destruction.

This is pretty clear. Before anything is done – including what we do – God declared it willhappen. It does not only mean God knowsit will happen, it means God called and caused the action to happen. That is why he said, “I will do all mypleasure”. We can’t do anything tochange it.
The verse does not even imply what you are saying here. God can declare everything that will happen because He is omniscient. However, God, because He is omnicicent has no reason to predestinate it to happen. In other words foreknowledge does not presume predestination. In fact, it actually works the other way around, Because God foreknows all things, He can predestinate certain events or actions. He can also prophesy such as with Judas, he did not need to predestine Judas to betray Jesus.

I bring near myrighteousness; it shall not be far off, and my salvation shall not tarry: and I will place salvation in Zion for Israelmy glory.
According to the Bible version you quoted, it says “grant”,but the KJV says “will place”. I don’thave a problem with the word either way. Both versions note some things. First, the Lord is bringing his righteousness; and second, it’s not faroff. In other words, it’s going tohappen. He didn’t note anything couldstop it, since he made a declaration and he is going to do his will as he seesfit.

this is speaking of Christ coming into this world. Christ was predestined to enter into this world, and predestined at a certain time when that time was appropriate. But the events of man were not predestined. They were foreknown and God saw it as appropriate to place Jesus in this world. All those men who crucified Jesus did all of it by their own free will. Everyone of them will need to answer to Christ at the judgement. God did not cause any to sin, surely did not predestinate any to sin.

I want to comment on what you placed emphasis on,however. You noted it says (according towhichever Bible you were quoting) that it says “grant” and not “force”. I’m not sure where your mind is or what youwere thinking. We are talking about theLord’s will. Why is your language saying“forced”? It’s a rather negative way oflooking at it. God has a will, a planand a set path for you and you are questioning whether it’s being forced onyou?

The fact of the matter, God has the same plan for you as He does for every single human being. His entire creation, Christ's recreation, and eternity is premised on the very same purpose. God created this world and man in so that He could have an eternal union of communion with man. Every single man, but He did not want an arrangement, an object to manipulate, so He created man free, Man can freely join with Him or reject Him. Revelation is premised on man having a free will, a rational soul.

Predestination as understood in the reformed view is unscriptual as is all the attendent secondary statments known as Tulip.

God actually did “force” Paul into submission, as he didJonas. You can play with the wording,but if you say you have a choice when you are blind in the street or in awhale’s belly, you don’t have a choice. You are being held captive. However, they both worked out for good. It just seems strange to me thatthe flesh will question whether something good is being forced on us instead ofa plan being put into action for our good.

this is an eisgesis based on a falty premise of predestination. There is nothing in the context of the stories to even hint that Paul was predestined, or held captive. It clearly states that He has some very strong influences, as was with Jonah, but neither was forced to do anything. It would be against the very sovereignty of God, God's purpose in creating man, and for even giving us His revelation.

Speaking of Romans 8:28-30… he said it was predestinated. I have no problem with what you said aboutit, but the fact that it is predestinated not only means God knows it’s goingto happen, but he (as Isaiah said) he declared it.

However, what was predestined. In this instance no person was predestined to believe, and no person was even predestined to day anything. God predestined that those that do believe, become part of His Body, His elect, He predestined that He would make them holy, blameless, and conformed to His Image. He is predestinating actions upon believers, not believers themselves. And if a believer desires to leave the fold, then obviously they will no longer be transformed.
(God knew before hand)

yes, but that does not preclude predestination. In fact, it makes predestination superfluous. Many also confuse God's providential care with predestination as well. God can guide, direct our steps without forcing us to even follow him. Man does this all the time in this world to each other and we don't even have foreknowledge, let alone the power of predestination.

2Ti 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
this is true, but then God cannot make you an elect unless one believes. So man does cause God to elect him by faith, thus he is an elect, part of the elect, His body. If God simply would appoint, or predestine any to be an elect, then there would be no purpose in man believing, or even of God calling all men to repentance. It is one of those obvious anonamalies of imposing predestination upon scripture.

All of your other listings have the same false conclusion because it is based on a false premise of predestination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: For Stan

The steps of a goodman are ordered by the LORD: and hedelighteth in his way.
This means that the Lord has set them up. He has caused, established, fixed andappointed them. In other words, the walkof a good man – those that are His – are indeed predestinated and they weredone so before we took them.

As I said in my last post, this means the same as Romans 28:29 in that once we sare saved/delight in Him, He roders our steps. This does NOT happen before we are saved/delight in Him.

Isa 46:10 says:
Declaring the end fromthe beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying,My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:
This is pretty clear. Before anything is done – including what we do – God declared it willhappen. It does not only mean God knowsit will happen, it means God called and caused the action to happen. That is why he said, “I will do all mypleasureâ€. We can’t do anything tochange it.

No that's what you READ into the verse. That is called eisegesis. God is talking about His Word, the Bible here. The fact that God does what He deems to be His will, is NOT in dispute. The Bible is filled with people who change God's mind. Maybe you forgot about Abraham and Lot?

I bring near my righteousness; it shall not be far off, and my salvation shall not tarry: and I will place salvation in Zion for Israel my glory.
According to the Bible version you quoted, it says “grantâ€,but the KJV says “will placeâ€. I don’thave a problem with the word either way. Both versions note some things. First, the Lord is bringing his righteousness; and second, it’s not faroff. In other words, it’s going tohappen. He didn’t note anything couldstop it, since he made a declaration and he is going to do his will as he seesfit.

The NIV and NASB both use the word 'grant'. It comes from the Hebrew word nathan . It connotes, in this context, to give, put, set. It is used in the Qal stem.
The fact is that God has granted His salvation to ALL in Israel and the Gentiles.

I want to comment on what you placed emphasis on,however. You noted it says (according towhichever Bible you were quoting) that it says “grant†and not “forceâ€. I’m not sure where your mind is or what youwere thinking. We are talking about theLord’s will. Why is your language saying“forcedâ€? It’s a rather negative way oflooking at it. God has a will, a planand a set path for you and you are questioning whether it’s being forced onyou?
God actually did “force†Paul into submission, as he didJonas. You can play with the wording,but if you say you have a choice when you are blind in the street or in awhale’s belly, you don’t have a choice. You are being held captive. However, they both worked out for good. It just seems strange to me that the flesh will question whether something good is being forced on us instead of a plan being put into action for our good.

LOL...and you wonder why I used the word forced? The whole point is God does NOT force anyone. We use our God given free will to choose what to do and how to respond to God at the time of salvation. What God did in the OT with Jonas is NOT indicative of salvation. Jonas was a prophet running away from God. God brought hiom to a point where he realized what he had to do. Not quite the same issue as Paul persecuting the church.
What Jesus did with Paul was needed because Paul had already not responded to His 'goading', as in Acts 26:14. Paul had a choice to respond or not, and as he clearly indicated in Acts 26:19 where he testifies; “So then, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the vision from heaven. Paul knew the two choices he had and chose the right one.

I absolutely would be concerned if the Lord said, “Slider,you are going to go through some hardships.†My flesh wouldn’t like it, but if I am going to believe Romans 8:28, Ihave to believe it’s for my good. On the other hand, I would never say God’s “forcingâ€me to eat a piece of chocolate cake if he said, “You are going to eat a pieceof chocolate cake.â€

Who is playing with words?

So I don’t know where your thinking is. God’s will for us is good, even if it isn’tpleasurable. To complain that it is“forced†seems to me to be saying we don’t want God’s will at all. However, in either sense, the verse doesn’tsay he was going to offer his righteousness. He said it was coming. We can’teven do anything to delay it.

Yes, the Bible does say in Heb 12:5-6; “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor lose heart when corrected by him. 6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and corrects with punishment everyone whom he receives as a son.â€
Again this is ALL about conforming us to the image of His son, which is AFTER salvation. He doesn't FORCE anyone into salvation.

Speaking of Romans 8:28-30… he said it was predestinated. I have no problem with what you said about it, but the fact that it is predestinated not only means God knows it’s going to happen, but he (as Isaiah said) he declared it.

Well yes, "conforming us" to the image of His son is what the 'predestined' means in this verse. We still have to respond positively to God's leading and if you believe that EVERY Christian does exactly what God predestined Him for, then you are naive to say the least. We are to DAILY take up our CROSS, our carnal nature, and follow Jesus.

We move on to Romans 10:9-13. The KJV words it differently, but not so drastically that I have to quote and compare the two versions. It is true that God is saying, “If you do this, then here is what is going to happen…†It is also true that God isn’t telling us we will do this, but Isaiah’s sayings and Psalms does. God did declare it and ordered it. He could have easily said, “Paul, if you preach change your heart and go to Damascus and meet with Ananias, then you will be able to preach the gospel to the gentiles.†Absolutely true! It does not, however, change the fact that the Lord was in control and he got what he wanted despite what Paul wanted.

They all basically show the same thing from different perspectives. God is nothing if not consistent. If reasoning it this way works for you then great. No body disputes that God is in control ultimately, but if you think God always gets what he wants, then you need to read your Bible from beginning to end. The children of Israel are a constant source of agony for God, as throughout their history, they do NOT do what God wants them to.

I want to discuss another verse which is pretty pertinent toRomans 10:9-13.
John 10:27-28 (KJV)
My sheep hear myvoice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neithershall any man pluck them out of my hand.
I don’t mind playing, “let’s see what it doesn’t say…†so let’s do that. It does not say, “My sheep are invited to follow meâ€, nor does it say, “I want them to follow me, but they have a choice not to.†It says they HEAR and FOLLOW. We could easily say God “grants†them eternal life, but it does not change the fact that the sheep hear and follow. That’s what they do. It’s in their spiritual DNA to do so. In theory, we can say that they can rebel and try not to hear and follow, but the verse never says that. It says THEY DO…

Well you either treat this as an allegory or not, you can't have it both ways. As an allegory, it says what it means. His sheep(those saved in Jesus) know His voice.
God does grant them eternal life and they have already taken ahold of it by this time.
If you know anything about sheep, they will run away if they get a chance to do so, that is why Jesus says He is the gate and the shepherd. He takes care of us. Not very long after that, Jesus talks about how He will separate the sheep and the goats.

Furthermore, let me point out these verses also say no man shall pluck them out of my hand. On the surface, we take that to mean that Bob can’t prevent John’s salvation. That is true, but it says, “any manâ€. If John is a man, then John can’t even pluck himself out of God’s hand. It does not say, “neither shall any other man pluck them out of my hand.â€

Yep, Jesus is a great shepherd. No man can "pluck" them. It doesn't say that the sheep can't walk or run away. BTW, in this verse He is talking about the sheep of Israel.

We seem to have a choice to follow the Lord. We have the ability to say within ourselves,“I’m not sure I want to do this.†And we may decide not to. The Bible discusses such people:
Mat 22:14
For many are called,but few are chosen.

Yes, within the context of the Parable of the Wedding Banquet. If you clearly understand that parable then yuou understand the verse.

continued....

continued from last post...

We can’t “force†the Lord to call on us, neither can we“force†to be chosen. It is the Lord’s decision, and as discussed, he’s already made the decision. Now, what about those who are called, but seemingly decide not to take the walk in the Lord?
1 John 2:19:
They went out from us,but they were not of us: for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
This describes the “called†but not “chosenâ€. Those that were called, but “decided†they would not go with the Lord’s path never were the Lord’s sheep. God even said there would be a few goats among the flock. Furthermore, God even gives a reason why they showed up in the first place but decided not to follow. “that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.â€

I don't recognize what you see in 1 John. Even more, John the Gospel was NOT written by the John of these epistles or Revelation, so there is no carry over from any thoughts you think he may have had in the gospel of John. v19 states; They went out from us but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out from us that it might become plain that none of them are of us.
John wanted the churches he was writing to in Ephesus and around Asia Minor to know that those who were saying they were FROM John were not OF his teachings and therefore Christ's. This is a distinct group of teachers that were anti-christ, teaching the OLD Judaism. This was NOT meant to identify ALL people that decide not to follow Jesus.

You brought up Adam and Eve having free will. Do you have a verse that says they do or are you just assuming they did? Yes, it appears that they “made the choiceâ€, but was it part of God’s overall plan? I have a verse that says Jesus was slain before the foundation of the world, which indicates that not only did God know it was going to happen, but that he made a provision before hand. Knowing that God declared the end from the beginning, he also had the will that it would happen.

Adam and Eve were created in the 'image' of God. Seeing as He has free will as part of His nature, and He commanded them to do certain things, yes I'm very certain they had free will, as we do today. If they didn't have free will they would not have sinned and He would not have had to punish them. God was NOT surprised at anything they did. God foresaw all that would happen when He created the universe. His Ominscience knew ALL and His plan was complete before He even started.
This doesn't mean He planned it all. This means He had a provision for everything that would happen. His provision for Adam and Eve sinning was already Jesus Christ. The verse you are probably referring to about Jesus being slain is Rev 13:8; which reads in proper context; All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who has been slain. (NASB) The Lamb was not slain before the foundation, the Book of Life existed before the foundation of the world. Not quite the same take now is it?

Here are some more verses that show that God made the decision and not us:
1Pe 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledgeof God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience andsprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, bemultiplied.
(God knew before hand)
2Ti 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may alsoobtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
1Pe 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifestin these last times for you,
(God foreordained us)
1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock ofoffense, even to them which stumble at the word, beingdisobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
(we were appointed by God, and so were those who don’twalk with God)
2Ti 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us witha holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in ChristJesus before the world began,
(It is according to God’s purpose and was given beforethe world began)
Isa 48:3 I have declaredthe former things from the beginning; and they went forth out of my mouth,and I showed them; I did themsuddenly, and they came to pass.
(This is exactly what God said in chapter 46… Goddeclared them from the beginning and HE id them, not us)
Act 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of menfor to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of theirhabitation; (God determined and appointed. We don’t appoint ourselves)
Mar 4:11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdomof God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
Mar 4:12 Thatseeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand;lest at any time they should be converted,and their sins should be forgiven them.
(Jesus spoke in parables so they wouldn’t understand,because he didn’t want them converted).
Jud 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to thiscondemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness,and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
(People are ordained to condemnation by God beforethey actually do anything)
Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us inhim before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and withoutblame before him in love:
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us untothe adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the goodpleasure of his will,
Joh 15:16Ye havenot chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go andbring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever yeshall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
(we don’t make the choice, God does)

Here's the same verses properly translated and exegeted;
1Pe 1:2
who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:
( Yes God knew who would respond to Jesus in the affirmative and they are His elect)
2Ti 2:10
Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory. (Here Paul is talking about the Jews, who are God's elect.)
1Pe 1:20
For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared in these last times for the sake of you (This verse speaks of Christ, NOT us)
1Pe 2:8
and, “A stone that makes people stumble and a rock that makes them fall.†They stumble, as they were destined to do, since they do not obey the word.
(again the proper context is that they reap what they sow. They were destined because they did not obey, they were NOT destined to NOT obey)
2Ti 1:9
God, 9 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time eternal, (Pretty much what Paul says in Romans 8:28-30. His purpose is given to us IN Jesus. Once we accept Jesus we receive that Holy calling, and yes ALL God's plan was finalized before time began. He didn't start and say, "Oops forgot to account for this.")
Isa 48:3
I foretold the former things long ago, my mouth announced them and I made them known; then suddenly I acted, and they came to pass.(God's foreknowledge at work again. He was gracious to warn the Jews, what He would bring to pass based on what they sowed and would reap, but they still wouldn't listen. A time came when He no longer threatened.)
Act 17:26
From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. (Yes He marked out their "appointed" times. They didn't all make their appointments.)
Mark 4:11-12
And he said to them, “To you has been given the mystery of the kingdom of God, but to those outside, everything is in parables, 12 so that ‘when they look, they may see yet not perceive, and when they listen, they may hear yet not understand; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven.’â€
(It was meant to confound the wise, Pharisees and teachers of the law, as they should have know what was going on. Those who truly had a heart for God, understood and heard as He said in v9.)
Jude 1:4
For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. (I think it would go a long way for you to understand what the scriptures ARE saying, if you used a modern English version. I would recommend the NIV.)
Eph 1:4-5
For he chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will. (Read the words Slider. They don't say what you think they say. Again it the same message Paul writes about in Romans 8:28-30, God's foreknowledge comes first then his predestining us to be like His son. It is a consistant message in the NT)
John 15:16
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit —fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. (Well, in CONTEXT, yes in these cases God chose the disciples and Jesus was making them aware of that fact. He was telling them that it was no accident that they were chosen to be His disciples. They still had to respond positively to Jesus calling them. This is NOT a message for ALL Christians.)

So you see your perspective does not really hold up under proper exegesis.

God freely gives and we freely chose. It's that simple.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back