Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The feel Good Gospel

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

golfjack

Christians have different levels of weaknesses, personalities, and growth. I think we can all agree with that. We can recognize that God has called Preachers to minister to the Body of Christ. Some preach hell and brimstone, and some preach a positive message.

Is it so wrong to make people feel good about themselves? Is it so wrong to encourage, and exhort them? Is it so wrong to help make them feel better than they did before they ccame to church? Does God give grace for preachers to preach different kinds of messages? Well, we do have preachers that preach correction to the Body. We have preachers that preach an evangelistic Message. We have preachers that preach on how the Holy Spirit can flow in a church. We have preachers that preach a positive message more than a negative message, and that would be a feel good message. Are we so stiff-necked and so legalistic about how one is to preach? I think so, as I hear people complain about certain preachers that try to help people feel better about themselves. Is that so wrong? I think not. They complain about a preacher not quoting enough scripture when he preaches. Well, what are they complaining about? I don't know. Do you?

We also have preachers preaching about healing and prosperity. Does God want His People in perfect health? Has God put forth in His Word How people can be healed. You bet He has. Does God want His People to live in poverty? No way. Has God redeemed us from the curse of poverty, sickness, and spiritual death? You bet. Just read Deut. 28 to see what these curses were, and see how God wants to bless us. If someoone wanted to bless you with a new car, house, and etc, would you turn it down? I think not. Well, what does God use to bless us? Many things my friends, and this includes people. God can direct someone to give us a Rolls Royce, Can't He? Is there something wrong with that? No way. Does God want to bless our socks off and so much that we cannot contain. The blessings that are over flowing? You bet He does. So, how do we obtain these blessings? Does the Word say that faith cometh by hearing? It sure does. Therefore, is it wrong for someone to p;reach about healing and prosperity? I think not.

I hope that people on this forum read this message and change some of their views about some preachers.

May God bless, Golfjack

Can I just say that at first read of your post the first preacher that popped into my head was Joel Osteen.

But anyway...

As far as the "feel good Gospel" goes, the very crux of the Gospel is the good news. And yes, it is to bring the utmost joy into the believers life. Dr C.F.W. Walther writes:

The second effect of the Gospel is that it does not at all reprove the sinner, but takes all terror, all fear, all anguish, from him and fills him with peace and joy in the Holy Ghost. At the return of the prodigal the father does not with a single word refer to his horrible, abominable conduct. He says nothing, nothing whatever, about it, but falls upon the prodigal’s neck, kisses him, and prepares a splendid feast for him. That is a glorious parable exhibiting to us the effect of the Gospel. It removes all unrest and fills us with a blessed, heavenly peace.

Source: The Proper Distinction between Law and Gospel by Dr. C.F.W Walther

. Are we so stiff-necked and so legalistic about how one is to preach? I think so, as I hear people complain about certain preachers that try to help people feel better about themselves. Is that so wrong? I think not. They complain about a preacher not quoting enough scripture when he preaches. Well, what are they complaining about? I don't know. Do you?

I think it's of the utmost importance that any sermon should contine both doctrines - The Law and The Gospel

I don't think it's necessarily wrong for a person to pray for healing. I would be weary of a person praying for so much earthly goods as we are given warning about storing things up on this earth.

In the end, each believer should follow the example of Jesus and pray, "not my will, but yours be done."

If someoone wanted to bless you with a new car, house, and etc, would you turn it down? I think not. Well, what does God use to bless us? Many things my friends, and this includes people. God can direct someone to give us a Rolls Royce, Can't He? Is there something wrong with that? No way. Does God want to bless our socks off and so much that we cannot contain. The blessings that are over flowing? You bet He does. So, how do we obtain these blessings? Does the Word say that faith cometh by hearing? It sure does. Therefore, is it wrong for someone to p;reach about healing and prosperity? I think not.

I hope that people on this forum read this message and change some of their views about some preachers.
No, it confirmed what I already assumed. Do you really think God would condone buying someone a new Rolls? That's extravagant even beyond God Himself. Think of how that money could be spent furthering HIS Kingdom! Man, how many people could be housed or fed with that money instead. How many missionaries could benefit from that money? How many Bibles in the many different languages could that money buy?

The Prosperity Gospel that is taught by many a TV "preacher" is a self-centered, self-indulgent teaching.

God owes us nothing! We owe him our lives... literally! Good thing my eternal life was paid for because I could NEVER afford it!

Mat 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
Mat 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Mat 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Mat 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Mat 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
Mat 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
Mat 6:29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Mat 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Mat 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Mat 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

HE will give what we need, not what we want or desire.

*edited to correct spelling errors*

My friends, why don't you go to your Bibles to see what God has said about prosperity? A good start would be to study the story about Abraham.

May God bless, Golfjack

Re: reply

golfjack said:
My friends, why don't you go to your Bibles to see what God has said about prosperity? A good start would be to study the story about Abraham.

May God bless, Golfjack

Golfjack:

Actually, I agree with you here about prosperity, but I'm not sure for the same reasons. Being the type of Christian I am (see my avatar for a clue), I believe that God promised the children of Abraham to be wealthy and a world power. This was so that those of his seed would be a blessing to the rest of the world for the chosen subgroup within that were to bring the gospel message. Me thinks that God's Word spreads easier and more efficiently with wealthy, powerful nations behind its missionaries (as opposed to 3rd-world countries where they are persecuted), and indeed that happened.

Now, with all that being said, I think the richness may be more of an inheritance. I believe the land over here in America was given to me by birthright (c.f. II Samuel 7:10).

yes, we have 5 cars, 6 computers, other material goods with a nice home (all paid off) with deck and pool in spite of the fact that I lost my good paying job and basically make less. However, I think the real riches is this inheritance. I rather lose all the perishable material things I have as long as I can keep this lovely, green land that God has given to us (about 20 acres). It looks beautiful like Ireland. I cannot praise God enough and I will until my dying day. And when I die, I will sleep knowing nothing until the resurrection and again I will praise Him.

If zoning would allow it, I often wondered what it would be like to divide part of this off for the poor to live off of. In all this, it brings glory to God. That's the importance of it all.

Now...... let's all sing "This land is your land, this land is my land....." and be thankful for these riches that God gave. These are the true riches.

golfjack said:
Is it so wrong to make people feel good about themselves?

I would say it depends on what you're telling them. If it makes a person feel good to do evil, then no.

I would try to make that person feel bad about bad things by showing them the law.

A person should feel good to hear the Good News of Christ!!! And yes, we should keep telling people that in the hope it makes them feel better!

golfjack said:
Is it so wrong to encourage, and exhort them?

Again, I'd say it depends. If we are encouraging them and exorting them to God's will, then that is good.

Is it so wrong to help make them feel better than they did before they ccame to church?

I feel outstanding in the fact that I'm saved! That's all we need. The world could fall apart around us and we can cling to the Lord. He has a home for us! :)

golfjack said:
Does God give grace for preachers to preach different kinds of messages?

Yes!

golfjack said:
We also have preachers preaching about healing and prosperity. Does God want His People in perfect health? Has God put forth in His Word How people can be healed. You bet He has. Does God want His People to live in poverty? No way. Has God redeemed us from the curse of poverty, sickness, and spiritual death? You bet. Just read Deut. 28 to see what these curses were, and see how God wants to bless us.

Yeah, I agree God wants good for us. That's why Christ died for us on the cross so that we can live beyond this fallen world and be with Jesus in heaven.

I think Paul gives good insight:

I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in pleny or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13

I love that last verse, I know my spirit will always be nourished by Him. :)

golfjack said:
Christians have different levels of weaknesses, personalities, and growth. I think we can all agree with that. We can recognize that God has called Preachers to minister to the Body of Christ. Some preach hell and brimstone, and some preach a positive message.

Is it so wrong to make people feel good about themselves? Is it so wrong to encourage, and exhort them? Is it so wrong to help make them feel better than they did before they ccame to church? Does God give grace for preachers to preach different kinds of messages? Well, we do have preachers that preach correction to the Body. We have preachers that preach an evangelistic Message. We have preachers that preach on how the Holy Spirit can flow in a church. We have preachers that preach a positive message more than a negative message, and that would be a feel good message. Are we so stiff-necked and so legalistic about how one is to preach? I think so, as I hear people complain about certain preachers that try to help people feel better about themselves. Is that so wrong? I think not. They complain about a preacher not quoting enough scripture when he preaches. Well, what are they complaining about? I don't know. Do you?

We also have preachers preaching about healing and prosperity. Does God want His People in perfect health? Has God put forth in His Word How people can be healed. You bet He has. Does God want His People to live in poverty? No way. Has God redeemed us from the curse of poverty, sickness, and spiritual death? You bet. Just read Deut. 28 to see what these curses were, and see how God wants to bless us. If someoone wanted to bless you with a new car, house, and etc, would you turn it down? I think not. Well, what does God use to bless us? Many things my friends, and this includes people. God can direct someone to give us a Rolls Royce, Can't He? Is there something wrong with that? No way. Does God want to bless our socks off and so much that we cannot contain. The blessings that are over flowing? You bet He does. So, how do we obtain these blessings? Does the Word say that faith cometh by hearing? It sure does. Therefore, is it wrong for someone to p;reach about healing and prosperity? I think not.

May God bless, Golfjack
Why don't you go to places like Afrca, or Honduras, and see how those people there live There. than you can tell me how good you will feel driving a rolls royce, or living above your means. We are just way to SPOILED here! and that's the TRUTh!

golfjack said:

May God bless, Golfjack

Forgive the bluntness, but it sounds like you are trying to justify "the feel good gospel" for yourself.

Think about Paul - he lived a trully Blessed life - yet he did not have financial gain and riches in material things.

And tim, I would disagree. I believe the Gospel spreads under persecution better than under prosperity.

aLoneVoice said:
Forgive the bluntness, but it sounds like you are trying to justify "the feel good gospel" for yourself.

Think about Paul - he lived a trully Blessed life - yet he did not have financial gain and riches in material things.

And tim, I would disagree. I believe the Gospel spreads under persecution better than under prosperity.
Therein lies the true meaning of prosperity... it's spiritual prosperity. Yes God will grant some material prosperity, but HE expects much back in return.

Luke 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
Luke 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Are we to follow the example of our Master?

Mat 8:19 And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.
Mat 8:20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.

Remember;

John 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
John 13:17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

aLoneVoice said:

I agree! What does it profit a man to gain the whole world, but to lose his soul in the end! :o

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back