Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The flood.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
TheUnworthyServant said:
Hugo said:
mananmater said:
So heres the topic question, why do some people doubt this, furthermore why do some people go as far as to even mock and riducule it and it's sacredity, such statements come to mind as scholars saying it only happened in the dead sea area or the ship is only as big as 3 galleys put end to end, what is the source of all this animosity? Do you feel this way, do you hate this story,?????
I don't believe in a global flood literally because I accept the scientific consensus that the evidence is absent.

As for the details of the story, it's basic mythology/folklore from a literary standpoint, so it's even more difficult to take literally.

People mock it because it is so hard to imagine how it could have happened. If an omnipotent god intervened, then anything is possible, but most apologists want to avoid that and provide at least a quasi-scientific feasibility.

With all due respect, if you do not believe the flood actually took place (exactly as the Bible states) then you can not call yourself a true follower of Christ. You can not believe part of the Bible and not all. Either the entire Bible is the WORD of God or it is not. You can't have it both ways.

Cough(B.S.), lol :rolleyes2

John said:
With all due respect, if you do not believe the flood actually took place (exactly as the Bible states) then you can not call yourself a true follower of Christ. You can not believe part of the Bible and not all. Either the entire Bible is the WORD of God or it is not. You can't have it both ways.

These day age and gap theory people are trying to compromise the word of God with evolutionist folly. :screwloose

:amen

TheUnworthyServant said:
Hugo said:
mananmater said:
So heres the topic question, why do some people doubt this, furthermore why do some people go as far as to even mock and riducule it and it's sacredity, such statements come to mind as scholars saying it only happened in the dead sea area or the ship is only as big as 3 galleys put end to end, what is the source of all this animosity? Do you feel this way, do you hate this story,?????
I don't believe in a global flood literally because I accept the scientific consensus that the evidence is absent.

As for the details of the story, it's basic mythology/folklore from a literary standpoint, so it's even more difficult to take literally.

People mock it because it is so hard to imagine how it could have happened. If an omnipotent god intervened, then anything is possible, but most apologists want to avoid that and provide at least a quasi-scientific feasibility.

WIth all due respect, the above statement sounds like something I would read on the Landover Baptist forum, and that site is a parody. We do not have the original manuscripts, and the texts that we have were selected and classified as canonical by men not God. As I pointed out earlier, we don't have any way of knowing what Jesus actually said or thought about the Flood tale. All we have is hearsay written a half century later. People can, and do, believe in Christianity but reject the more fabulous tales in the Bible.

In arguments about whether or not a 'global flood' happened I wonder why, when the evidence doesn't support it, must it be a 'literal' story? Jesus spoke in many parables and why can't the story of Noah just be another one? The 'meaning' doesn't change just because it is not a literal story.

seekandlisten said:
In arguments about whether or not a 'global flood' happened I wonder why, when the evidence doesn't support it, must it be a 'literal' story? Jesus spoke in many parables and why can't the story of Noah just be another one? The 'meaning' doesn't change just because it is not a literal story.

Because the evidence for a global flood is overwhelming.

First peter says those that would believe in the flood would rise in the last days.So he's talking about a parable, what about those that are about the talents why did he say anything about that, noah is listed in hall of faith, so if hes a parable and not real then why would the Lord say through the writer of Hebrews that he was a great man of faith.

shoot physicist if we follow your thought then we are no more than a social do good for a fellow man church that has no power. as the death the resurection of the messiah isnt exaclty kosher with the scientific method

liberal doctrines gotta love em, man's word before the Lords

John said:
seekandlisten said:

Because the evidence for a global flood is overwhelming.

Please share this evidence.

The fact that the scientific community, as a whole, find overwhelming evidence that is completely incongruent with ANY "global flood" should be enough for anyone to see that a global flood myth, such as the story of Noah, is just that. . . . a story, not grounded in any science that is peer reviewed. :shrug

Well I am sure that Kent Hovind and sons mean well, but they look at the evidence as a way to make it fit with biblical accounts. . . . and that just isn't the case. I've seen these types of things, . . . including the Grand Canyon [of which would never have been formed by "receding flood waters"].

There are evidences that clearly show destruction, but not in a way that a global flood would answer this. . . . and DEFINITELY not ~4,400 years ago. The extinction boundary, that is found throughout the globe, is clear evidence that certain creatures lived, something happened, and 95% of life died. What is below this layer is life different than what is above this layer.

The evidence is available. Just look it up on google.

John said:
Ample evidence in 60 seconds.

http://www.creationminute.com/episode/index/5

Also be sure to view the grand canyon 60 second video for even more evidence.

I guess the son had to make the video because the father Hovind is still in jail for tax evasion.

Of course, the video is childish nonsense, It is not the 'skeptics' that say there was no universal flood a few thousand years ago, it is the overwhelming consensus of the scientific community. Find one peer-reviewed article published in a legitimate science journal that supports this silliness. Clam shells are found on mountain tops because of plate techtonics and coal seams take millions of years to form, negating his ridiculous hypothesis.

To take the Biblical Noah tale literally, you have to reject scientific knowledge and enter a world of fantasy and blind faith. However, science has a proven track record, as demonstrated by the computer I am using to type this message. Show me an equivalent record for fantasy and blind faith.

I guess the son had to make the video because the father Hovind is still in jail for tax evasion.

couldn't help yourself eh?

Of course, the video is childish nonsense, It is not the 'skeptics' that say there was no universal flood a few thousand years ago, it is the overwhelming consensus of the scientific community. Find one peer-reviewed article published in a legitimate science journal that supports this silliness.

O yes you want me to find a group of people already set in their ways and get them to consider the notion of a global flood.. of course it aignt gonna fly.

Clam shells are found on mountain tops because of plate techtonics and coal seams take millions of years to form, negating his ridiculous hypothesis.

Or they were simply more casualties from the flood. And coal seams do not take millions of years to form, that is fantasy.

To take the Biblical Noah tale literally, you have to reject scientific knowledge and enter a world of fantasy and blind faith. However, science has a proven track record, as demonstrated by the computer I am using to type this message.

My computer has nothing to do with geology.

Show me an equivalent record for fantasy and blind faith.\

The fact that you are here to use said computer.

They aren't "set in their ways", . . . . . they use the scientific method to test a hypothesis. If it pointed to a global flood, the evidence would show that, . . . but it [geology] doesn't. History doesn't support the story either. :crazy

John said:

couldn't help yourself eh?

The Devil made me do it! :)

[quote:110s38f3]Of course, the video is childish nonsense, It is not the 'skeptics' that say there was no universal flood a few thousand years ago, it is the overwhelming consensus of the scientific community. Find one peer-reviewed article published in a legitimate science journal that supports this silliness.

O yes you want me to find a group of people already set in their ways and get them to consider the notion of a global flood.. of course it aignt gonna fly.[/quote:110s38f3]

Right, there is an international, multi-generational conspiracy of the world scientists to hide the truth. I suggest tin foil inside one's hat to protect yourself from their harmful ray guns.

On a more serious note, scientists gain fame by new discoveries and new theories. If there were actual evidence for a catastrophic flood a few thousand years ago, scientists would be rushing to be the first to publish it.
[quote:110s38f3] Clam shells are found on mountain tops because of plate techtonics and coal seams take millions of years to form, negating his ridiculous hypothesis.

Or they were simply more casualties from the flood. And coal seams do not take millions of years to form, that is fantasy. [/quote:110s38f3]

No, because we can date sea fossils (clams actually are an exception) in the sediments on the mountain tops and match them to geological developments. They are definitely not a few thousand years old.

I would be interested in any peer-reviewed paper in the science literature that says that coal seams can be developed in a few years.

[quote:110s38f3]To take the Biblical Noah tale literally, you have to reject scientific knowledge and enter a world of fantasy and blind faith. However, science has a proven track record, as demonstrated by the computer I am using to type this message.

] My computer has nothing to do with geology. [/quote:110s38f3]

Science is intertwined. For the Flood tale to be true, our scientific and engineering knowledge in shipbuilding, biology, meteorology, optics, geology, and yes, much of physics, would have to be false. If they were false, your computer should not work

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back