Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Form Of GOD

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

It baffles me when some tell me GOD has no form. HE has no physical form? What did GOD show Moses? Moses was able to see 'something'. Does HE have a spiritual form then?

GOD has no legs? No arms? Doesnt sit? Etc etc etc I wonder how HE made us in HIS image.

It baffles me when some tell me GOD has no form. HE has no physical form? What did GOD show Moses? Moses was able to see 'something'. Does HE have a spiritual form then?

GOD has no legs? No arms? Doesnt sit? Etc etc etc I wonder how HE made us in HIS image.

I don't believe that "in His image" meant to describe what we can see when we look at ourselves in the mirror. Rather, I think it has to do with things that modern medicine cannot fully explain. Things such as our ability to reason, our free will (this could explain God's refusal to override it), being self-aware, our capacity for learning, the ability to anticipate things, etc. I've been told that humans are the only species that know they're eventually going to die, and I think this is also part of what was meant by "in His image".

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't believe that "in His image" meant to describe what we can see when we look at ourselves in the mirror. Rather, I think it has to do with things that modern medicine cannot fully explain. Things such as our ability to reason, our free will (this could explain God's refusal to override it), being self-aware, our capacity for learning, the ability to anticipate things, etc. I've been told that humans are the only species that know they're eventually going to die, and I think this is also part of what was meant by "in His image".

I like this reply. I makes a lot of sense.

At the same time a totally formless GOD, I think, doesnt seem possible to me.

I would have to agree with that. Could it be that a person telling you that "God has no form" is their way of saying "I'm not comfortable believing in something that doesn't register on the five senses"? Many people simply aren't comfortable with the concept of faith.

I think being "created in His image" is, like the other poster said, indicative of our capacity to reason and connect with our creator. We can also appreciate such concepts as Truth, Beauty, Goodness, Evil, Justice, Mercy, etc. That comes straight from God.

I think being "created in His image" is, like the other poster said, indicative of our capacity to reason and connect with our creator. We can also appreciate such concepts as Truth, Beauty, Goodness, Evil, Justice, Mercy, etc. That comes straight from God.

Agreed. We could also add emotions to the list.

This statement
Many people simply aren't comfortable with the concept of faith.

That's why people stumble because as Hebrews says its impossible to please God without faith. That's how i/we see God every day through the eyes of faith, ask a blind person how they see the Almighty, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise "if that person has faith" We are made in his image, ever had someone ask you if you thought God ever laughed? or cried? of course he does and we know that because we are made in his image, we are supposed to become as little children not full grown adults.. :yes

tob

Psalm 8:5

5 You have made him a little lower than angels,
and You have crowned him with honor and glory.

I believe we're in the image of God in that we're free-will spiritual and moral beings. We share those divine attributes.

I keep wondering why Moses didn't bother to describe what he saw, when GOD opened his eyes to see HIS back.

I keep wondering why Moses didn't bother to describe what he saw, when GOD opened his eyes to see HIS back.

I figure he didn't bother because he was unable to find the words that could even remotely describe it.

This indicates that the law did not reveal the whole face and glory of God. That did not happen until Christ's appearing.

I'm getting ahead of myself...

"15 The Son is the image of the invisible God..." (Colossians 1:15 NIV)

"3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being..." (Hebrews 1:3 NIV)

"8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”
9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?" (John 14:8-9 NIV)

This is why it is forbidden to make an image of God. Christ is the only authorized and accurate image of God in heaven. Anything else falls woefully short, even doing God a disservice.

"With whom, then, will you compare God?
To what image will you liken him?"

"“To whom will you compare me?
Or who is my equal?”"

(Isaiah 40:18,25 NIV)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back