Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Gift Of Prophecy ~

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

DoveEyes

I spent many years in Charismatic non-denominational church and have felt very disturbed at the things they teach about the gift of prophecy and how to operate in this gift.

Many people feel that it is *ok* for a person to prophesy untrue things to another person because when a person is young and inexperienced then they should be shown mercy. Although I agree that we should forgive those who step out in "faith" and give an inaccurate word, we are doing them a disservice by not confronting them (gentley) about the fact that they are speaking things to another person that is not from God's heart.

The other day a person asked me advice about this subject and said they felt that young prophetic people should be trained in the gifting and guided by spiritual mentors to perfect this gift. That sounds great but the only problem is that it isn't biblical!

What the scripture does say is that the only thing we can "work" on if we have this gift is our faith. As Paul said, "we will prophesy according to our measure of faith". And also I think about Samuel the prophet. He was a young boy never taught by any man and yet the Lord never let any of his words hit the ground (fail to come to pass). Prophesy is a GIFT. Either you have it or you don't.

This gift is so encouraging and powerful if a person really hears from God, but can be hurtful and damaging if a person tries to speak things from God they didn't really hear.

Thoughts?!
Thanks for reading

~DoveEyes

I certainly agree that prophecy is a gift. The Holy Spirit determines whether or not a person has this gift or not. I've always been leary of prophet schools, for that very reason.

We need to keep in mind that prophecy is speaking the heart of God. It's purpose is to edify, instruct and correct but in loving ways. That's why all Christians need to know Jesus Christ well. I've heard utterances that I discerned as true prophecies while others I thought were nothing more than drivel - flesh - someone's ego trip.

On thing is certain. True prophecy never condemns or ridicules. It always points to a better day.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back