Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The gift of tongues.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Kidron, it's good to say that you have written a post that I am 100% in agreement with. Excellent explanation of the issue!
Dora,

I too agree with just about everything posted by Kidron. So, since this thread took a turn and turned itself into a spitting contest, I'd like to address one thing Kidron posted. This is not a critique, but a way to explore something interesting in Acts 2. (and to get us back to discussing and not arguing)

Kidron posted:
So, during Pentecost, the upper room was filled with the Spirit of God and the apostles/disciples began to speak in foreign languages.
They also became very wobbly and seemed drunk. (Acts 2:15)
Thats a bible fact.

Related verses:

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Acts 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Acts 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

What I find interesting is the fact that the Spirit gave "them" utterance (not plural).

But each person in the crowd heard them in their own native language. Now one might say, each Apostle was speaking in one specific language unknown to them. But a reading of the passage doesn't allude to that and a count of the many countries represented doesn't add up either.

So, is it possible or likely that the Apostles spoke in one unknown language and the gift of interpreting into the native languages was given to each who heard?

:chin

Dora,

I too agree with just about everything posted by Kidron. So, since this thread took a turn and turned itself into a spitting contest, I'd like to address one thing Kidron posted. This is not a critique, but a way to explore something interesting in Acts 2. (and to get us back to discussing and not arguing)

Kidron posted:

Related verses:

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Acts 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Acts 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

What I find interesting is the fact that the Spirit gave "them" utterance (not plural).

But each person in the crowd heard them in their own native language. Now one might say, each Apostle was speaking in one specific language unknown to them. But a reading of the passage doesn't allude to that and a count of the many countries represented doesn't add up either.

So, is it possible or likely that the Apostles spoke in one unknown language and the gift of interpreting into the native languages was given to each who heard?

Or perhaps on this occaision they spoke in one KNOWN language and the gift given was the gift of hearing?

I do not doubt that God does give the gift of speaking in languages and won't go further for fear of violating this principle...

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Or perhaps on this occaision they spoke in one KNOWN language and the gift given was the gift of hearing?

I do not doubt that God does give the gift of speaking in languages and won't go further for fear of violating this principle...

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

VERY observant John. The fact is that the miracle was, that each of the God fearing Jews HEARD the tongues in their language, NOT that the believers who received the Holy Spirit, spoke in those languages. This realization shows that you let the Holy Spirit speak to you as you read God's Word.

I'm not sure why you then quote Matt 12:31? It seems out of context in this post.

I was not impressed.
EDIT:
http://www.sidroth.org/site/PageServer?pagename=abt_statementoffaith
Above is the link to this Sid Roth's "Statement of Faith" page that contains a lot of biblical error. I assure you that a guy who is teaching biblical error is not performing miraculous signs.
The website's ...

Statement of Faith

We believe:

In the one and only living God -- the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob -- the Creator of heaven and earth. (Gen. 1:1; Isa. 42:5)

Yeshua (Hebrew for "Jesus") is Israel's promised Messiah and the Redeemer of the entire human race. By His life, death and resurrection, He fulfilled the messianic prophecies of the Old Covenant Scriptures related to Messiah's first coming. The divine Messiah, Yeshua is the fullest revelation of God to man. (Isa. 7:14, 9:6-7, 49:6, 53:1-12; Psa. 16:9-11)

We believe in the triune nature of God -- God the Father, God the Son (Yeshua), and God the Holy Spirit. God made man in His own image and endowed him with a longing for intimate fellowship with the Creator. (Gen. 1:26, 2:7; Psa. 41:1-2)

Man's disobedience to God's revealed will caused a separation between man and God. (Gen. 2:16-17; Isa. 59:1-2)

The only provision God made for reconciling man to Himself was through the atoning work of the Messiah, who died as the sacrifice for our disobedience and rose again, manifesting His victory over sin and death. (Lev. 17:11; Isa. 53:1-12; 2 Cor. 5:19)

The Bible -- both the Old and New Covenant Scriptures -- is God's Word to man and the only reliable, safe guide to faith and conduct. (Num. 12:6-8; Isa. 8:20; 2 Tim. 3:16-17)

All who repent from sin and accept God's message of salvation in the Messiah are born again of the Spirit of God. Faith in the Messiah as the mediator of the New Covenant makes us true children of God. (Jer. 31:31-34; Ezek. 36:24-27; John 1:11-13)

The Holy Spirit indwells the heart of every born again believer. The baptism of the Spirit for anointed service is the positional right of every believer, but is appropriated as a faith experience distinct from the born again experience. (Acts 8:15-17, 10:44-46, 19:1-6)

All of the gifts and manifestations of the Holy Spirit are intended for the body of believers during this age. (1 Cor. 12:4-11)

The atonement in Yeshua includes both spiritual and physical healing. The blessings of obedience promised to Israel in the Mosaic Covenant are available to any believer under the New Covenant today. (1 Pet. 2:24; Isa. 53:5; Psa. 103:3)

Those who are born of the Holy Spirit become members of the universal people of God, the Body of the Messiah. This one spiritual fellowship through the Messiah includes both Jews and Gentiles as equal members of this Body -- One New Man in Yeshua. (1 Cor. 12:12-13, 27; Eph. 2:14-16, 5:30-32)

The nation Israel is chosen by God to be a channel of blessing to all the nations on earth. The return of the Jewish people to their land is in fulfillment of biblical prophecy. The day will come when Israel as a nation will accept Messiah Yeshua. Then shall the Word of God go forth from Zion. After Messiah Yeshua returns, He shall establish His worldwide rule from Jerusalem. (Gen. 12:1-3; Isa. 11; Zech. 12:10, 13:1)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dora,

Kidron posted:

Related verses:

Utterance meaning given the ability or power to speak so they spoke in tongues that the Spirit gave them the power/ability to speak.

Statement of Faith

We believe:

In the one and only living God -- the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob -- the Creator of heaven and earth. (Gen. 1:1; Isa. 42:5)

Yeshua (Hebrew for "Jesus") is Israel's promised Messiah and the Redeemer of the entire human race. By His life, death and resurrection, He fulfilled the messianic prophecies of the Old Covenant Scriptures related to Messiah's first coming. The divine Messiah, Yeshua is the fullest revelation of God to man. (Isa. 7:14, 9:6-7, 49:6, 53:1-12; Psa. 16:9-11)

We believe in the triune nature of God -- God the Father, God the Son (Yeshua), and God the Holy Spirit. God made man in His own image and endowed him with a longing for intimate fellowship with the Creator. (Gen. 1:26, 2:7; Psa. 41:1-2)

Man's disobedience to God's revealed will caused a separation between man and God. (Gen. 2:16-17; Isa. 59:1-2)

The only provision God made for reconciling man to Himself was through the atoning work of the Messiah, who died as the sacrifice for our disobedience and rose again, manifesting His victory over sin and death. (Lev. 17:11; Isa. 53:1-12; 2 Cor. 5:19)

The Bible -- both the Old and New Covenant Scriptures -- is God's Word to man and the only reliable, safe guide to faith and conduct. (Num. 12:6-8; Isa. 8:20; 2 Tim. 3:16-17)

All who repent from sin and accept God's message of salvation in the Messiah are born again of the Spirit of God. Faith in the Messiah as the mediator of the New Covenant makes us true children of God. (Jer. 31:31-34; Ezek. 36:24-27; John 1:11-13)

The Holy Spirit indwells the heart of every born again believer. The baptism of the Spirit for anointed service is the positional right of every believer, but is appropriated as a faith experience distinct from the born again experience. (Acts 8:15-17, 10:44-46, 19:1-6)

All of the gifts and manifestations of the Holy Spirit are intended for the body of believers during this age. (1 Cor. 12:4-11)

The atonement in Yeshua includes both spiritual and physical healing. The blessings of obedience promised to Israel in the Mosaic Covenant are available to any believer under the New Covenant today. (1 Pet. 2:24; Isa. 53:5; Psa. 103:3)

Those who are born of the Holy Spirit become members of the universal people of God, the Body of the Messiah. This one spiritual fellowship through the Messiah includes both Jews and Gentiles as equal members of this Body -- One New Man in Yeshua. (1 Cor. 12:12-13, 27; Eph. 2:14-16, 5:30-32)

The nation Israel is chosen by God to be a channel of blessing to all the nations on earth. The return of the Jewish people to their land is in fulfillment of biblical prophecy. The day will come when Israel as a nation will accept Messiah Yeshua. Then shall the Word of God go forth from Zion. After Messiah Yeshua returns, He shall establish His worldwide rule from Jerusalem. (Gen. 12:1-3; Isa. 11; Zech. 12:10, 13:1)

If you have not noticed, no one here has yet proved from the bible that miraculous signs still occur today or were promised to anyone today.

I understand the frustration.

If you have not noticed, no one here has yet proved from the bible that miraculous signs still occur today or were promised to anyone today.

I understand the frustration.

On the contrary Ernie, this has been reliably shown and proven. You not accepting God's word does NOT make it wrong. Speaking of PROOF, where is yours. You have provided links to other peoples opinions which I don't accept because they also lack scriptural proof. WHERE is the scriptural proof?

It IS frustrating to have someone who appears to be skilled in understanding God's word,(that would be you Ernie) and then getting no scriptural proof to their assertions. I myself have witnessed the blind and deaf being healed. I myself have had my life spared or extended by God.
I myself have had a child who was born with a malady that surely could have killed her, without God's intervention. There are accounts throughout history that show God's mercy by miracles.

Something to consider, is that.... if the" gift of tongues is in the hearing" as you are suggesting, and this is not a new concept, as this has been around for a long time.......but, consider that in Corinthians there is no "gift of hearing of tongues".......so thats one thing.....and also, those Jews who heard Peter speak in languages that they understood, were not saved yet....so, if they are given the "gift of hearing tongues", then this makes no sense, as one, there is no gift of hearing tongues listed in Corinthians spiritual gift list, and also, why would God give spiritual gifts to Jews who were listening to Peter and who were not saved yet?
Does God give spiritual gifts to the unsaved,.....even unlisted ones????

Vic C, An alternative idea for how Peter could be preaching and it be heard in many languages, is that God caused this to happen on that occasion to fit the audience.
He caused Peter's single voice/speech to come out as all the necessary tongues, depending on the hearer, in that instance.
Follow me?
This is just my opinion, and i have no theological evidence to support my opinion.
But its something you might chew upon, as our God is certainly able to cause our "tongue" to come out as 1500 tongues if need be, and all at once.
Maybe he did this with Peter on that day.
Our God can do what we would consider impossible for us, yet for him, its a piece of cake.

K

Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6
Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

I agree with Kidron. This was the FIRST time the Holy Spirit came. It didn't fall under Paul's instructions in 1Cor 12 & 14. Think about the scenario in Acts 2.
How many people were there? According to verse 1 it says 'they'.
Who are 'they'? According to Acts 1:26 the last group mentioned is the newly re-established 12 Apostles.
How can we be sure of that? Look at Acts 2:14, "Peter took his stand with the 11"
The he said "These men are not drunk" v15. Looks like 12 people to me.
If you count the number of God fearing Jews that were hearing this din, they add up to 15 as shown in Acts 2:9-11; Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11 Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.â€
Obviously the 12 Apostles were speaking in a new tongue, but the Holy Spirit was causing it to be intelligible to the Jews. 12 people speaking and a minimum of 15 people understanding, but more than likely many many more than that, given the 3000 mentioned in v41.

Now to show you how the Holy Spirit works every time we read the Word, this came to me today. I had always thought that based on Acts 1:15, that there were 120 people in the upper room. It is SO important when we read His Word, that we always allow the Holy Spirit to go ahead of us and prepare our minds for His Word.
Thank you Jesus! :pray

For greater understanding of the gift of tongues given at Pentecost, try reading it in light of Genesis chpt 11 (The Tower of Babel)

ONLY as far as your understanding Ernie! One day you'll see it when you read God's word WITHOUT personal doctrinal bias.
We all do it. Don't think you're above that and accuse others of it.

Stan53 said:
Now to show you how the Holy Spirit works every time we read the Word, this came to me today. I had always thought that based on Acts 1:15, that there were 120 people in the upper room. It is SO important when we read His Word, that we always allow the Holy Spirit to go ahead of us and prepare our minds for His Word.
Thank you Jesus! :pray
I read it in a commentary. However, that same commentary, and others that I have checked, all say that it isn't clear and that it is most likely the 120. It could be the 12, it could be the 120.

We all do it. Don't think you're above that and accuse others of it.

Speak for yourself Free. I don't do that.

I read it in a commentary. However, that same commentary, and others that I have checked, all say that it isn't clear and that it is most likely the 120. It could be the 12, it could be the 120.

Well good for you, but I DIDN'T. God made it CLEAR AS DAY to me, after MANY years of assuming it was 120. Reason: I never really studied it before. It is amazing what God will show you when you study. Probably why Paul said what he did in 2Tim 2:15

In any event, I think I explained myself clearly. If you have an opposite point of view, please feel free to share it.

?? Just posted this on another site. If it fits here OK. And if not? Just dump it:chin Yet both posters are very sincere in their own 'growth'?? (or whatever?)

[FONT=Verdana,arial]Devaprakash924 wrote: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,arial]renee829369 wrote: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,arial][FONT=Verdana,arial]Here is who is qualified to teach. Baptize, give communion, or any of the work of the ministry. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,arial][FONT=Verdana,arial]1 Peter 2:9-10 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,arial]9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,arial]Peter is talking to a group of born again Christians, that are kingly priests.[/FONT]

Priesthood will involve strata of responsibilities! Believers belong to one body consisting of various parts of the body with varied functions. Leg cannot claim the work of the eyes!

[FONT=Verdana,arial]There was no such thing in the NT as —Priests, or Pastors and laity, that is the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing God hates.[/FONT]

________

Are you nullifying these?

1 Corinthians 12
28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.

1 Corinthians 14
34 The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says.

What God hates is the claiming of-- uncalled for-- superiority(or inferiority or equality) of one in relation to the other!

[FONT=Verdana,arial]However, when the persecution began in Jerusalem, the apostles stayed in Jerusalem, the saints scattered, and taught the Word of God.[/FONT]

All sundry cannot claim sainthood! All internal and external aspects should show that! Not self-claims!

[FONT=Verdana,arial]The writer of Hebrews, chastises the church for not being the teachers that they were called to be. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,arial]Hebrews 5:12 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,arial]12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food [/FONT]

One verse consideration will not help!

Let us see the beginning verses:

Hebrews 5:
1 For every high priest taken from among men is appointed on behalf of men in things pertaining to God, in order to offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins;
2 he can deal gently with the ignorant and misguided, since he himself also is beset with weakness;
3 and because of it he is obligated to offer sacrifices for sins, as for the people, so also for himself.
4 And no one takes the honor to himself, but receives it when he is called by God, even as Aaron was.
5 So also Christ did not glorify Himself so as to become a high priest, but He who said to Him, "You are My Son, Today I have begotten You";

Surely, the first verse speaks of the special appointment out of all men(believers)! This is what one should seek, not simply belief, and one should be strong and willing to give up himself! This, all the apostles satisfied.

[FONT=Verdana,arial]Titus 2:3-5 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,arial]3 the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things[/FONT]

Yes, teachers of good things, not Gospel to a congregation! These two cannot be equated easily and conveniently!.

[FONT=Verdana,arial]All have different Gifts of the Spirit. But the Gifts are meant for teaching. Using Gifts, all are ministers. No one has to have a Diploma to minister. All are supposed to be ministering.[/FONT]

All gifts are not meant for teaching! Only one who has prepared and submitted himself can qualify for teaching.

[FONT=Verdana,arial]edification—is to build up [/FONT]

Need not necessarily with just teaching! Edification would involve all!

[FONT=Verdana,arial]All are required to teach, to minister, one way or another [/FONT]

This assumption started the distraction. Apollos is one example, mighty in the OT Scripture, sans sacrifice that helps in learning the truth—a requirement of the NT for teaching!

All kinds of people started infiltrating the Churches with their own teachings with their old life styles distorting the Gospel conveniently! You see that practically even in all the early Churches!

Roman Catholic Church meets a few basic requirements. That is why it strongly opposes abortion, homosexuality, women priesthood, etc. in spite of its other distractions whereas Protestantism is meekly surrendering to the wiles of the world!

[/FONT]
What amazes me Dev, is how a person can claim a Love for Christ with pen, and then toss out clear REQUIRED Commands with all else! Ren even believes what another told her that she said when she did not know what she said.. 'in an unknown tongue!' but by 'who'???

Then she tosses out all of these easily understood tongues of Truth by the Master Himself in Matt. 18 that He left with His [OBEDIENT CHURCH]. He did not heal Saul in Act 9 but sent him to HIS CHURCH for healing + baptism [[TELLING him what he **MUST DO** when Saul asked in trembling [[SUBMISSION!]]

(folks, NO SUBMISSION FINDS NO HOLY SPIRIT LEADING YOU! Acts 5:32)

And CHRIST'S REQUIREMENT? CLEAR, PLAIN! & COMMANDED IN CONSECUTIVE ORDER!!

His Truth is Eternal + CONDITIONAL.
Matt. 18 extends from Eternity!

[12] How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
[13] And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
[14] Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

[15] Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

[16] But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

[17] And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

[18] Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
_______

And NO ONE WILL BE SAVED WHO WILL NOT OBEY CHRIST! The 'Self willed', & disobedient ones, who just 'will not' take orders of correct Spiritual Truths from other's... but will believe what they say that you said that you do not know what you said in gibberish! AGAIN, there will be NO LOOSE CANNON'S in heaven ever again! Nah. 1:9

--Elijah

Speak for yourself Free. I don't do that.
You most certainly do. I can all but guarantee that there isn't one orthodox theologian, scholar, pastor or teacher that would claim to be completely unbiased.

Stan53 said:
Well good for you, but I DIDN'T. God made it CLEAR AS DAY to me, after MANY years of assuming it was 120. Reason: I never really studied it before. It is amazing what God will show you when you study. Probably why Paul said what he did in 2Tim 2:15

In any event, I think I explained myself clearly. If you have an opposite point of view, please feel free to share it.
My only point is that "all" could be the 12 or the 120, but likely the latter. I think it just comes from a plain reading of the text.

You most certainly do. I can all but guarantee that there isn't one orthodox theologian, scholar, pastor or teacher that would claim to be completely unbiased.

My only point is that "all" could be the 12 or the 120, but likely the latter. I think it just comes from a plain reading of the text.

Well if you read the first couple of chapters of Acts, you would see that in 2:1 where it reads "THEY were all together in one place", the word they refers back to the last mention of a group which would be 1:26, "and he was counted with the eleven apostles." I'm pretty sure this is how grammar works.

Well aren't you amazing. With a guarantee at that. Sounds pretty Cajun to me.
I didn't guarantee. Not sure what you mean by "sounds pretty Cajun." :shrug

Stan53 said:
Well if you read the first couple of chapters of Acts, you would see that in 2:1 where it reads "THEY were all together in one place", the word they refers back to the last mention of a group which would be 1:26, "and he was counted with the eleven apostles." I'm pretty sure this is how grammar works.
I have read the first couple of chapters so there is no need to be condescending. It begins with:

Act 1:13 And when they had entered, they went up to the upper room, where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot and Judas the son of James.
Act 1:14 All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.
Act 1:15 In those days Peter stood up among the brothers (the company of persons was in all about 120) and said, (ESV)

First it speaks of the whole group of them and then of the leadership of that group and the choosing of Judas' replacement. Now in Acts 2:1 there are two key words: "they" and "all."

Act 2:1 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place, (ESV)

The addition of "all" can change things since it is entirely unnecessary if speaking only of the 12. Without "all" it would very likely be referring to only the 12. But there really is no reason to not take Acts 2:1 as going back to verses 14 and 15 and referring to the 120, having finished the discussion of the choosing of the new Apostle.

In the end it really doesn't matter. The only issue I can think of that could come of it is if someone were to use the idea that only the Apostles received the Holy Spirit to argue that then only the Apostles could impart the gift of the Holy Spirit, and therefore such died out with the last of the Apostles, putting an end to the gifts of the Spirit, including tongues.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back