Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Guitar Thread

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Wow ! I like your homemade bass , very nice .
Thanks. It has had a rather dark sound, not unlike James Jamerson from 1960s Motown. (one of my bass influences)
I am not sure how comfortable I would be playing a fretless bass:chin , but I really like the way one sounds .
I saw Nathaniel Smith play cello at a Sarah Jarosz concert and it made me want to learn to play cello !
You might try a bass viola da gamba if you like the bowed sound; 6 (or 7) strings tuned in 4ths like a guitar and it has frets. A true Git-fiddle.

Because I just muck around with notes and chords and don't sing I just made a song, well not a song because I got no lyrics or sing but I just created something and it sounds good. I feel like a rockstar now.
All you have to do is give your composition a name and it will be a song , lyrics aren't necessary :rocking.

No playing today. I randomly woke up with a sore shoulder and it's getting worse, now my whole arm is really weak and painful I can't even move it, not sure what caused it just random come on.

Last edited:
charlie_edwards ,
It’s just a Fender Jazz Bass. Nothing fancy, but I like it. I really like the neck and how smooth it is.
I’m still learning and having a great time with it. I’ve got the first five frets down cold, but I need to build my confidence beyond that. I’ll get there. 😎
How long have you been playing?
No such thing as "just" a Fender jazz bass. :lol I have a Fender bass as well. It plays the notes. But I also use a Tech 21 SansAmp bass driver DI and it purifies the sound I get. I use a small bass amp (Fender) and that's all I need. My friend has a huge setup and my bass sound just fine next to his.

I no longer play like I used to. Life gets in the was. Wife died in 2018 and the world went upside down. Then I spent a year in Arizona taking care of mom only to eventually bringing her here to Washington State to live with me. She died in December 2021. Now I'm dealing with the estate.

My main instrument is the guitar. I'm a fingerstyle player (Chet Atkins style) although I dabble in electric. I also studied classical guitar. Someday I hope to get back into it.

Keep on plucking!

I have a question for experienced acustic guitar players.

Does it matter if picking is in a pattern?. I mean I think I'm ok at picking notes when playing but I don't have a pattern I just pick whatever I do and it seems to sound alright but maybe it actually sucks. I mean surely a experienced player would notice right?. I guess when it comes to music there is no rules as long as it sounds ok but like maybe I'm really bad and just think it's good what I'm playing.
If it sounds good it's right. But not all patterns are equal. There's a lot of different patterns and I've played most of them. But when it comes to playing, I play what my ear tell me will sound good. The foundation of all picking is from the patterns and you learn them to forget them. Just like in reading you don't think of letter sounds, you finger pick what comes to mind. In just learning I suggest mastering a pattern and then learning a new one and then a new one. Alternate bass picking is tons of fun.

Here's a recording of mine using a loop pedal. You lay down the background chords and then add the melody. I think there are just two guitars. Both me. If I mess up, I'd have to start all over and there are a few bumps.

Here's an example of a loop pedal recording process. I had already laid down the strumming foundation. Then you add the layers. Each layer is recorded on top of the last one. This is in the key of G but I'm changing the chords necessary because I'm looking for different voicings. It's tricky because you can get off beat easily which I did. lol Notice at the end I'm busy pressing the pedal. That's because there are three separate sections. The main song, a repeat of the last phrase, and then then ending. Phil Keaggy does this sort of thing live. And much better of course.

Papa Zoom I enjoyed your two songs , good picking :) . I have played a lot of Martin guitars but never owned one , I used to sell them at a music store I worked in . A 000-18 would be the one for me .

Phil Keaggy does this sort of thing live.
I have seen Phil Keaggy do that many times at his concerts . Phil can do some jaw dropping :eek things on guitar .

I have played a lot of Martin guitars but never owned one , I used to sell them at a music store I worked in . A 000-18 would be the one for me .
I have a limited edition (only 45 made) Martin Dreadnought Jr with Elderly Instruments' "Shadow Band" on the topplate. Elderly has been a top distributor of Martins for years and this was for their 45th anniversary.
1646738992142.png
It has a great sound for finger picking.

BTW - I also have another "almost" Martin which I have had since the mid 1980s - also from Elderly Instruments. It is a Greeta Dreadnought; made in India under Japanese supervision (Sigma) by contract with CF Martin. It even has Martin on the sticker inside. It was a very limited run and only Elderly sold them. I paid only $80 and change; but it sounds like it should have cost over $500.
I have seen Phil Keaggy do that many times at his concerts . Phil can do some jaw dropping :eek things on guitar .
LOL! I took my son to see Phil and even just tuning up his jaw hit the floor, with the question: "Is he even - human??" "Caleb, pick your jaw up and close your mouth."

Last edited:
o such thing as "just" a Fender jazz bass. :lol I have a Fender bass as well. It plays the notes. But I also use a Tech 21 SansAmp bass driver DI and it purifies the sound I get. I use a small bass amp (Fender) and that's all I need. My friend has a huge setup and my bass sound just fine next to his.
Ha! I had the pots changed out and a new set of strings and she is smoooooooth! At home I’ve got a Sona Elan SE-41 and at church I’ve got a set of dedicated subs that will shake the walls and thump your chest.
no longer play like I used to. Life gets in the was. Wife died in 2018 and the world went upside down. Then I spent a year in Arizona taking care of mom only to eventually bringing her here to Washington State to live with me. She died in December 2021. Now I'm dealing with the estate.
I remember all of that {hugs}. We lost a brother, my step mom and Dad last year and I’m the PR for the estate in Spokane. I just sold the house. It went in 3 days and we got 30k over asking. That’s crazy. I don’t know how people can afford to live over there, but it does explain why the homeless population is such an issue.
We close April 14 and then hopefully we can close probate.

Ha! I had the pots changed out and a new set of strings and she is smoooooooth! At home I’ve got a Sona Elan SE-41 and at church I’ve got a set of dedicated subs that will shake the walls and thump your chest.

I remember all of that {hugs}. We lost a brother, my step mom and Dad last year and I’m the PR for the estate in Spokane. I just sold the house. It went in 3 days and we got 30k over asking. That’s crazy. I don’t know how people can afford to live over there, but it does explain why the homeless population is such an issue.
We close April 14 and then hopefully we can close probate.
Some day I'll get back into playing. I don't know if I want to commit to playing in church every week but as a sub for the regular guy, yeah. I have to find a church first as I've basically been churchless since the start of Covid. I've moved 30 miles away and am not interested in attending the church Nancy and I attended.

John sent me a card on behalf of Christian Forums and I ran across it the other day. It meant a lot to me to hear from all of you. It's odd but it's been three and a half years and my life is a bit empty, except of course for God. Which isn't a bad thing. I need to list my blessings and I think that such a list would keep me very busy. It's all perspective.

I hope to record some of my guitar work but I'm so rusty right now. I have a Martin acoustic but it needs fret work. Then there's my Taylor, which I need to use more.

At one time I had a Hofner Bass but it needed work as it was shorting out. I was told it couldn't be fixed. That was 40 plus years ago. I got rid of it. Ahhhhhhhh, of course it could be fixed and would probably be worth something today. I"m still kicking myself.

So i been playing a tune. Its got a Am, Em, Dsus2 , G, Em, Cadd9, and Bm in it.

I got no idea what I'm doing I just been playing around with them practicing.

I think I'm doin ok. I can play every major chord now. A, B, C, D, E, F, G and all the minors and can go from one to the other without stalling. Just practicing going to and from all the different chords without stalling and having to figure it out.

Improvement, progress.

But that's just first position. Still have all the other positions to learn up the fret board. I can do the shapes easy but need to know what chords they are. Like F major go up one fret would be F sharp, then 3rd fret would be G major right?. So playing a F but on the 3rd would be G?. Something like that.

Last edited:
I regret not picking up an instrument when I was a kid. Now I'm older and...I got no rhythm now, Lol! I do have a 3 set of Harmonicas. C, D, and G for heart of gold. I can't play it yet but I can kind of play the intro, Lol!

I might be musically handicapped.

I regret not picking up an instrument when I was a kid. Now I'm older and...I got no rhythm now, Lol! I do have a 3 set of Harmonicas. C, D, and G for heart of gold. I can't play it yet but I can kind of play the intro, Lol!

I might be musically handicapped.

I should have kept playing consistent when I picked up the guitar like 30 years ago, I might have actually been a good player now. But no, still a amateur.

Last edited:
I should have kept playing consistent when I picked up the guitar like 30 years ago, I might have actually been a good player now. But no, still a amateur.

My parents bought my brother an electric guitar and a Peavey amp for Christmas one year so there was a guitar there. But after he pulled a Jime Hendrix on it I didn't want to touch it anymore, Lol!

I used to bang on the drums too a little bit. My parents bought my cousin (who worked for them) a Ludwig drum set as a Christmas Bonus one year and he set it up in our basement. So our house was rocking, just not me.

I played an electric guitar once. I just went full distortion and turned the volume up and just hit the E chord once and let it ring out and I felt like a rockstar.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back