Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Heavens Laugh Us to Scorn

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Davies

Take man's greatest achievements, and as we are to compare ourselves with God and not man, we will see they are puny. Tell me, what do you have to boast about? Is there a day you can go without sinning? What did the apostle Paul say about his boasting?

Philippians 3:4-7
New King James Version (NKJV)
4 ... If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so: ... concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ.

If you want to boast about what you can do, you shouldn't, especially if you think you can keep yourself saved.

Galatians 6:14
14 But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom[a] the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

- Davies

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

This Evening's Meditation

C. H. Spurgeon

"Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?"—Job 38:31.
IF inclined to boast of our abilities, the grandeur of nature may soon show us how puny we are. We cannot move the least of all the twinkling stars, or quench so much as one of the beams of the morning. We speak of power, but the heavens laugh us to scorn. When the Pleiades shine forth in spring with vernal joy we cannot restrain their influences, and when Orion reigns aloft, and the year is bound in winter's fetters, we cannot relax the icy bands. The seasons revolve according to the divine appointment, neither can the whole race of men effect a change therein. Lord, what is man?
In the spiritual, as in the natural world, man's power is limited on all hands. When the Holy Spirit sheds abroad His delights in the soul, none can disturb; all the cunning and malice of men are ineffectual to stay the genial quickening power of the Comforter. When He deigns to visit a church and revive it, the most inveterate enemies cannot resist the good work; they may ridicule it, but they can no more restrain it than they can push back the spring when the Pleiades rule the hour. God wills it, and so it must be. On the other hand, if the Lord in sovereignty, or in justice, bind up a man so that he is in soul bondage, who can give him liberty? He alone can remove the winter of spiritual death from an individual or a people. He looses the bands of Orion, and none but He. What a blessing it is that He can do it. O that He would perform the wonder to-night. Lord, end my winter, and let my spring begin. I cannot with all my longings raise my soul out of her death and dulness, but all things are possible with Thee. I need celestial influences, the clear shinings of Thy love, the beams of Thy grace, the light of Thy countenance, these are the Pleiades to me. I suffer much from sin and temptation, these are my wintry signs, my terrible Orion. Lord, work wonders in me, and for me. Amen.

I thought I would add another Scripture to support not boasting about self, especially when it comes to keeping yourself saved.

1 Corinthians 1:29-31
29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.â€[a]

Jesus became for us wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption. So, to be in Him means that we share in these attributes. They are given to us. That's why there is no boasting before God when we get to Heaven. Anything we do that God may consider righteous is part of our sanctification, not justification. Being transformed into the image of Jesus Christ does not justify us, it only affirms our faith, and is a good witness to those around us.

Remember, no glorying in your good deeds.

- Davies

How is one kept saved? Should we strive to do good deeds and hope at the end of our lives that we are perfect without sin? Do you think you can earn what has been promised to you? Trying to earn what has been promised to you isn't really trusting in the promise is it? Let me suggest 1 Peter 1:3-5.

1 Peter 1:3-5
A Heavenly Inheritance

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

God keeps us by His power through faith, even though, if need be, we have been grieved by various trials, v.6. To be grieved. I hope we all understand what it means to be grieved. Does anyone stand in their self-righteousness when they are grieved? Do they put their trust in themselves? If anyone stands in their self-righteousness, they need to be grieved because it's through suffering that God weans us from the idol of self, and transforms us into the image of Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 1:8-10
Delivered from Suffering

8 For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia: that we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life. 9 Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead, 10 who delivered us from so great a death, and does[a] deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us,

No trusting in self!

- Davies

Last edited by a moderator:
Back