Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Holy Spirit and Salvation ! -

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Sam21

And when He shall come He shall, not attempt to, but He shall reprove the world,not just jews, but the world of sin, because they believe not on me ! His [The Holy Spirit] work rectifies that problem, it solves it completely.

So what sin is it that the Holy Spirit will convince this world of ? The Sin of unbelief and the opposition to the True Gospel, and their sin of self righteousness, and trusting in their own works and religious efforts [dead works] to make themselves acceptable before God. Many believe that sin here means things like immorality, drunkenness and stealing and etc. Men however do not need convincing of such things, natural conscience will do that Rom 2:

14For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

15Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another )

But unbelief because of self righteousness is a sin that mere human conscience does not convince us of its evil nature before God. In fact natural conscience gives us self approbation before God when the very opposite is true. Remember the prayer of the pharisee ? Notice Lk 18:11-14

This pharisee did not realize he was an evil wicked man before God, and nothing short of a Sovereign Work of the Holy Spirit would ever convict this man of sin, his sinfulness before God.

Read Isa 64:6 one version says :

"and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment".esv

You see, we men by nature cannot even begin to understand this truth, that our righteous behaviour when commending us to God, is disgusting to Him. Why is this? Because its a slap in the face of God to all what He gave His Son the Lord Jesus Christ to accomplish for the sins of His People, and the righteousness that He alone provides for God's People. Its the Only righteousness known to God that He approves of, and Glorifies Him. It is written of Christ Isa 42:

21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it Honorable.
Just a question,have you ever asked God for something that could not happen in the natural and actually seen it happen? The world is full of people who know that they are saved because of this or that,however a really saved person should at times be experiencing the supernatural move of God. In other words, a christian should at times experience GOD actually DOING SOMETHING to back up his claim. Do you just have words, or have you experienced the hand of God move on your behalf because you belong to God? Does God demonstrate that you are His?

You will not find the word trinity in any Bible, but according to the American Heritage Dictionary it means a group consisting of three closely related members. Trinity, the union of three divine figures, the Father, Son (Jesus) and the Holy Ghost in one Godhead.

Jesus is part of the Godhead and before he ascended to Heaven to sit at the right hand of the Father to make intercession for us he promised his disciples that he would send another comforter that would teach them all things and bring those things back to their remembrance.

Why doesn’t God speak to us the same way he did to his prophets in the Old Testament days? Gods’ spirit spoke to many prophets throughout the Old Testament through pillars of clouds a burning bush a donkey or spoke with visions through dreams. Many fill that God is completely silent and does not speak anymore, but this is wrong as Gods Spirit speaks to us now through his written word as his Spirit inspired those disciples of long ago to write down their witness of the teachings of God.

Those disciples walked with Jesus having a firsthand account of his teachings, but yet had no understanding other than knowing that Jesus was truly sent from God as signs and wonders followed him for confirmation that he truly was of God as no man could do the things Jesus did apart from God. We too have seen those very same signs and wonders that have touched other people’s lives by the Holy Spirit working through others as a witness and testimony of Gods mercy and grace.

God is very much alive and active in our lives today and still speaks to us through his prophets which are his disciples who have given us their accounts of walking with Jesus and being inspired by the Holy Spirit to write their individual accounts so we might also come into that same adoption through baptism of the Holy Spirit to have the mind of Christ for understanding that brings knowledge of the truths of Gods word so we can rightly divide the word of truth.

fhg:

You will not find the word trinity in any Bible

So, we find the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the Bible..and you are off topic..

Sorry, I thought the topic was on the Holy Spirit and Salvation and I was showing how the Holy Spirit, whom is the very Spirit of God is still much alive today as Gods Spirit dwelled in the disciples as they wrote their accounts of being with Jesus to teach us about Gods salvation through His Holy Spirit teaching them. How is this off topic?

St Jn 16:8-10

When the Holy Ghost comes to the elect sinner, that sinner having had been redeemed[purchased] by the blood of Christ, He comes in Power[1 Thess 1:5] and convinces that one or ones of all that Christ has accomplished by His Faithful obedience to the Cross Phil 2:8

8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

as our surety. When He [The Holy Spirit] reveals Christ in us [ St Jn 16:14] we are taught of God [ Jn 6:45], that our sins have been sufficiently dealt with Ps 103:10,12

10He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.

12As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Note: This is Covenant Knowledge.

That Righteousness has been everlastingly established by Christ obedience Dan 9:24

24Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

And that Judgment or Justice has been appeased by Christ blood, and Satan has been Judged, that his head has been bruised.
OK,but why would the Holy Spirit tell an elect that was not yet converted to Christ and baptized that they were headed for hell? When the Holy Spirit deals with a person who is not converted to Christ part of the message is that they are headed for hell and need forgiveness for their sins and to be given the Holy Spirit. My question is, if they are already the elect, how could they be also headed for hell?

All because some guy a long time ago said that specific men are elected (chosen) unconditionally.

Once people learn that the Lord Jesus Christ is the elect, then all this nonsense about condemned men being the elect will stop.. although if there's one thing I learned about Calvinism over the years it's this.. that it's impossible for any Calvinist to admit that they're wrong about election.

sam:

OK,but why would the Holy Spirit tell an elect that was not yet converted to Christ and baptized that they were headed for hell?

Huh ? You coming out of left field with that. I did not post anything like that...

sam:

Huh ? You coming out of left field with that. I did not post anything like that...

Yeah, I thought it came out of left field too...
I think he is referring to the first couple of words of the post - "When the elect sinner.."

Does this just mean the "chosen sinner"?

People do not realize it today, but being saved is matter of it being revealed to us.
Absolutely God's gift is revealed to us, but God does not force His hand on anyone. He gives us a choice. He calls, and we choose whether to answer or not.

12 Truths of Salvation

1. Salvation belongs to God. God alone owns His salvation. No one has exclusive rights to God's salvation. All people - whosoever - all the ends of the earth, have the same choice to receive the salvation of God through faith (John 3:16; Isaiah 45:22). No one can give the gift of salvation except God Himself. No group of people own God's salvation. The salvation of God is available and offered by God to all people.
  2. Salvation is the Gift of God, by His grace through faith alone (Ephesians 2:8). We are not worthy to receive salvation, but we are gifted the salvation of God, by God through faith in Christ Jesus. The gift of salvation is given to us by God because of the grace of God, unmerited grace, unearned grace. Salvation is the Gift of God, His free gift to us, which cannot be earned by any measures from us.
  3. Salvation is FREE, No works are required. The salvation of God is FREE. Absolutely, no works are required to receive salvation. No one can work, earn, or buy the salvation of God. The salvation of God is not for sale at any price. The price tag of salvation was already paid by one, Christ Jesus, who paid the price of salvation once for all (Hebrews 10:10). Salvation is not obtained by works. (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5; Acts 8:20).
  4. Salvation is a personal choice we each must make ourselves. If we accept God's gift of salvation, then we receive everlasting life. The choice is eternal death or eternal life, God says choose life (Deuteronomy 30:19). No one but God can save you. Only God saves anyone, but the choice to receive His salvation is your choice alone. No one can receive salvation for you, no one can get you into Heaven, by any means. No one can buy salvation, by any means. Salvation is your choice, you asking God to save you (Romans 10:13).
  5. Salvation is conditional. Faith is required to receive God's salvation. If we love God and trust in God's grace alone to save us, then we are saved. If we accept God's free gift of salvation by grace through faith, then we receive eternal life. Faith in God, Christ Jesus, is required for salvation. Faith is not works because God gives us each the measure of faith to receive His truth (Romans 12:3). Salvation is offered by God to ALL people who believe by faith in Christ Jesus for salvation (Romans 3:22).
    Salvation is kept by the power of God through faith in His truth (1 Peter 1:5). No one has salvation without faith. Without faith you do not have salvation, because without faith it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6).
  6. Salvation is by the grace of God alone. We are saved by grace, God's grace. We are all saved the exact same way, which is by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8). There is ONE salvation of God for ALL people. By grace through faith in Christ Jesus we are saved (Ephesians 2:8; John 3:15; Acts 13:48; Romans 5:21, 6:23; 1 John 5:11, 13, 20; Galatians 5:26). No one is "more saved" than someone else, we are all saved the same in the eyes of God, we are all His children by faith in Christ Jesus (Galatians 3:26).
  7. Salvation is eternal life in the Kingdom of Heaven (Romans 6:23). By receiving the gift of salvation, we are granted inheritance into the Kingdom of God. A life of sin leads to eternal death (Romans 6:23). The gift of God is salvation which is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (Romans 6:23). There is only one eternal life given to man by God, and is through faith in Christ Jesus to salvation.
  8. Salvation sets us free from sin and death (Romans 8:2). Salvation sets us free from the bondage of sin. Through salvation we are given power from God to say no to sin throughout our entire lifetime on this earth. Salvation empowers and enables us to live by faith in righteousness to God. Through the salvation of Christ Jesus, we receive victory over sin and death. We receive the righteousness of Christ through salvation by grace through faith (Philippians 3:9).
  9. Salvation is abiding in Christ, being one with God through Jesus. There is no salvation apart from God. We are only with God through salvation. Without salvation you are without God. We are only in Christ through salvation. Rejecting the gift of God forfeits your inheritance into the Kingdom of God. Forsaking God, not accepting His gift of salvation, gains you entrance into eternal darkness, separated from God for all eternity. There is NO eternal life without receiving the salvation of God. Eternal life with God is received through salvation. There is NO salvation apart from abiding in Christ Jesus. (John 3:36, 15:4-5; 2 John 1:9)
  10. Salvation is a lifetime journey to the Kingdom of God. Salvation is not a one day feeling or experience, but salvation is a lifetime journey to God by living in faith to God and living in righteousness and holiness through Christ Jesus, gifted to us by God, by the power and strength of God it is possible to live by His faith. The saved, the just, the children of God live by faith all the days of their life (Romans 1:17).
  11. Obtaining Salvation is the Will of God. God desires that all people receive His salvation. God does not want anyone to perish and spend eternity without Him, but God wants us all to obtain salvation, receive the salvation of God through faith in His Son, Christ Jesus (1 Thessalonians 5:9). God says "choose life", please choose His salvation instead of death (Deuteronomy 30:19). All who do the will of God by obtaining His salvation and living in faith will abide with God forever (1 John 2:17).
  12. Salvation is eternal. Nothing of this world is eternal. God says that we brought nothing into this world and we will leave with nothing (1 Timothy 6:7). The things of God are eternal, His salvation, the salvation of God is eternal, God's salvation is everlasting life, promised to all people by His grace through faith (John 3:16). If we accept God's salvation, then we are given an eternal gift, everlasting life in God's Kingdom forever, that no one can ever take away, if we remain in faith to God. Salvation is eternal peace, eternal life, eternal joy, free from pain and the cares of this world, free from sin and disease, free from all hurt and sadness, free from death, abundant life surrounded by things we cannot even imagine here, and we will be forever with the Lord, if we continue in the faith of Christ Jesus (Galatians 3:26).
Salvation

He will convince the elect of sin, of righteousness and of Judgment

Why would anyone intentionally misquote the word of God.. ?

Even a babe in Christ can see that the Holy Spirit was sent to convince the WORLD of sin, righteousness, and judgment.. not the elect.. If God wanted to say the elect then He would have.

Why would anyone intentionally misquote the word of God.. ?

Even a babe in Christ can see that the Holy Spirit was sent to convince the WORLD of sin, righteousness, and judgment.. not the elect.. If God wanted to say the elect then He would have.

Oh, thank you, thank you, Eventide.

I can only pray the Lord will make SBG's many posts invisible to those seeking truth.

The indispensable Work of the Holy Ghost !

John 16:7

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

John 14:26

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

This passage is so often misapplied, that I'm very surprised that no-one has yet pointed out the very simple and obvious application of the words.

Here is the context which is always ignored, or not recognised.

Jn 15.26 ¶ But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall bear witness of me:
27 and ye also bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

That is the purpose of the coming of the Holy Spirit: to bear witness of Christ.

That is also the purpose of the disciples being sent out: to bear witness of Christ.

It's a very romantic notion that we can bear witness to Christ today.

A witness testifies in court of that which he has, IN PERSON, seen, heard, or done. Anything else is hearsay and second or third hand, and inadmissible as evidence.

The disciples were first hand witnesses. They were present, and their testimony was admissible as valid evidence on Christ's behalf.

That is not the case with us. We were not there, and cannot act as 'witnesses'.

We can say what we believe, and in the 1st century they died for doing so, and even today in muslim countries this is going on. Such persons are not witnesses, but believers.

The second extremely important point, is that a 'witness' testifies TO SOMEBODY.

So who were the Holy Spirit and the disciples going to witness to?

Jesus leaves us and them in no doubt whatsoever:

1 ¶ These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be made to stumble.
2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the hour cometh, that whosoever killeth you [as Saul and others like him did] shall think that he offereth service unto God.
3 And these things will they do, because they have not known the Father, nor me.

These are Jesus' words to the Jews:

Joh 8:19 Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.

So the witness that the Holy Spirit and the disciples were going to make, was to the Jews, not to the planet.

asy

So who were the Holy Spirit and the disciples going to witness to?

Jn 16:8

8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Not so.

Context, always the context:
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Note the present tense: it's the Jewish world He's talking about.

Be careful here, because we automatically think 'world' = 'planet'.
It does in some cases, but i many places it means the Jewish world, like this:

8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Do a little study of the word and let me hear your conclusions.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back