Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Importance of the name of Jesus.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Just some scriptures I found & wanted to share for reflection!

Enjoy :)

The naming of Jesus

God gave Him his name.

Philippians 2:99 Therefore God also highly exalted him, and gave to him the name which is above every name;

Mary instructed to name Him Jesus

Matthew 1:21 She shall bring forth a son. You shall call his name Jesus, for it is he who shall save his people from their sins.

Luke 1:31 Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a son, and will call his name “Jesusâ€

Jesus named at His circumcision

Luke 2:21 When eight days were fulfilled for the circumcision of the child, his name was called jesus, which was given by the angel before he was

conceived in the womb.

The name of Jesus is to be glorified

2Thessalonians 1:12 that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:10 that at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow, of those in heaven, those on earth, and those under the earth.

Authority in the name of Jesus

Authority over demons in the name of Jesus.

Mark 9:38 39 John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone who doesn’t follow us casting out demons in your name; and we forbade him, because he doesn’t follow us.†But Jesus said “Don’t forbid him, for there is no one who will do a mighty work in my name, and be able quickly to speak evil of me.

Acts 16:18 She was doing this for many days. But Paul, becoming greatly annoyed turned and said to the spirit, “I charge you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her!†It came out that very hour.

Authority over sickness in the name of Jesus

Acts 3:6 But Peter said “Silver and gold have I none, but what I have, that I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, get up and walk!â€

Technorati Tags: bible, demons, Jesus

Authority over sickness in the name of Jesus

Acts 3:6 But Peter said “Silver and gold have I none, but what I have, that I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, get up and walk!â€

Acts 3:16 By faith in his name has his name made this man strong, whom you see and know.

Acts 4:10 be it known to you all and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, in him does this man stand here before you whole.

Acts 4:30 While you stretch out your hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of your holy Servant Jesus.

Speaking/preaching in the name of Jesus

Acts 4:18 They called them and charged them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.

Acts 5:40 They agreed with him. Summoning the apostles, they beat them and charged them not to speak in the name of jesus and let them go.

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching good news concerning the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ (the messiah) they were baptized, both men and women.

Acts 9:27 But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles and declared to them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him and how at Damascus he had preached boldly in the name of Jesus.

Believing in his name

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God’s children, to those who believe in his name.

John 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in his name, observing his signs which he did.

John 20:31 these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God and that believing you may have life in his name.

1John 3:23 This is his commandment, that we should believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another, even as He commanded.

Repentance, justification and remission of sins are in the name of Jesus

Luke 24:47 repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name to all the nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 10:43 All the prophets testify about him that through his name everyone who believes in him will receive remission of sins.

1John 2:12 I write to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name’s sake.

1Corinthians 6:11 Such were some of you, but you were washed. But you were sanctified. But you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and in the Spirit of our God.

We are baptized in the name of Jesus

Acts 2:38 Peter said to them “Repent, and be baptized, everyone of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8:16 for as yet he had fallen on none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of Christ Jesus.

Acts 10:48 He commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay some days.

Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

We live, dye and suffer for the name of Jesus

Acts 5:41 They therefore departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for Jesus’ name.

Acts 15:14 Simeon has reported how God first visited the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

Acts 15:26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 19:17 This became known to all, both Jews and Greeks, who lived at Ephesus. Fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.

Acts 21:13 Then Paul answered, “What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.

Romans 1:5 through whom we received grace and apostleship, for obedience of fatih among all the nations, for his name’s sake.

1Corinthians 1:10 Now I beg you, brothers, through the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfected together in the same mind and in the same spirit.

1Corinthians 5:4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, you being gathered together and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ

Ephesians 5:20 giving thanks always concerning all things in the name of our lord Jesus Christ, to God, even the Father

Hebrews 6:10 For God is not unrighteous, so as to forget your work and the labor of love which you showed toward his name, in that you served the saints, and still do serve them.

Colossians 3:17 Whatever you do, in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

2Thessalonians 3:6 Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother who walks in rebellion, and not after the tradition which they received from us.

1Corinthians 1:2 to the assembly of God which is at Corinth; those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in every place, both theirs and ours.

KJV 1611 Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a sonne, and thou shalt call his Name Iesus: for hee shall saue his people from their sinnes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thread!:thumbsup

I could suggest that the "Name" and its power for us will increase as we grow in the grace and knowledge of Who He Is:biglol

2Pe 3:18

But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.:clap

Nice Thread,

I'm really having trouble with this at the moment because I do think it's important and wondered if anyone had gone through the same thing?

The name Jesus was Yehoshua, short form Yeshua.

Has something very important been lost here?

Nice Thread,

I'm really having trouble with this at the moment because I do think it's important and wondered if anyone had gone through the same thing?

The name Jesus was Yehoshua, short form Yeshua.

Has something very important been lost here?
Did He show up when you called Him "Jesus"? If He did, dont get caught up in all that nonsense about how we pronounce His Name. He seems to be able to get past our tounge and go right to our hearts. The devils seem to move at the "english" version quite well:lol

Did He show up when you called Him "Jesus"? If He did, dont get caught up in all that nonsense about how we pronounce His Name. He seems to be able to get past our tounge and go right to our hearts. The devils seem to move at the "english" version quite well:lol

Hmm Yeah :chin

I get to a point with this when I feel it's better just to focus on his teachings, obey them, and see what happens.

But "Jesus is Lord" never made much sense to me until I understood The Tetragrammaton and its connection to the name "Yehoshua".

Great scriptures! :thumbsup

These are the two most important verses to me about His name.

Acts 4:12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.

Philippians 2:9For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name,
10so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

First of all salvation is more important than anything. And 2nd there is power in His name, and over every situation! In the end everyone will have to confess Jesus Christ is Lord, so why not do so now and having the benefit of being saved, instead of waiting to be forced to admit it later ? :biggrin

His name is Iesous. "Jesus" is His name with an English accent.

Hmm Yeah :chin

But "Jesus is Lord" never made much sense to me until I understood The Tetragrammaton and its connection to the name "Yehoshua".

It was the custom for kings and ceasars to have their subjects bow down to them and worship them as gods as well as to obey them as their lord and master. Christians made a point to abstain from this evil and to only bow down and worship God our Father and His son Jesus whom he exhalted above every name.
Most people groups, especially the middle eastern, put a lot of stock in a person's good name. It is his reputation and all that we believe to be true about him. If we do something in Jesus' Name, we are doing it under His authority and in obedience to His orders to us. He paid for us with His Blood. He bought us back from the devil's rhelm. In grattitude the least we can do is give Him our allegiance. His Name is so sacred and holy that we say it in awe and reverence or not at all.

How his name was derived was never that important to me. He could have been called Brian for all the difference it makes. Who he was and what he did is what matters.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

It was the custom for kings and ceasars to have their subjects bow down to them and worship them as gods as well as to obey them as their lord and master. Christians made a point to abstain from this evil and to only bow down and worship God our Father and His son Jesus whom he exhalted above every name.
Most people groups, especially the middle eastern, put a lot of stock in a person's good name. It is his reputation and all that we believe to be true about him. If we do something in Jesus' Name, we are doing it under His authority and in obedience to His orders to us. He paid for us with His Blood. He bought us back from the devil's rhelm. In grattitude the least we can do is give Him our allegiance. His Name is so sacred and holy that we say it in awe and reverence or not at all.

Exactly that's why I prefer Yehoshua or at least Yeshua

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back