Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The insatiability of Money

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

Hello all. Do you believe that money is insatiable?

(we may also want to look at: are there some who do not involve in sexual immorality, who are not trouble-makers, who don't drink, fight, smoke, do drugs, steal etc.. and yet they are not Christians?)

There are plenty of "good people" who aren't Christian, just as surely as there are plenty of Christians who aren't "good people." I don't pretend to understand, honestly

As for money...the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil. Money is just...well, its morally neutral, I think. Its something we use to get what we need/want. Its a fact of life, especially now that the economy all over is bad and people are talking more about the bad things--social inequality, lack of upward mobility, poverty, falling wages--the abuse of and love for money can bring out for the masses.

Money Matters, a LOT.
Any Christian that has any sense will agree.
Money is the lubricant of life, and if you have it your life flows much smoother and if you dont your life feels like you are stuck in glue.
Having money does not make you less of a Christian, and not having it does not make you a better Christian, as the Blood of Christ has made you a COMPLETED Christian, already.

and any comments about...."well, i believe God wants me poor so that i can suffer for Christ"..
Please be smarter and dont post that martyr complex nonsense.
thx.

K

nobody said anything about being poor to suffer. I think that's more a Catholic thing anyway, in the monastic orders.

My deal is that I think inequality has gotten out of hand in the US, and the old school American Dream just isn't happening anymore as a result. Why should the masses suffer so .1-1% of the population can get ever richer and ever more powerful?

I remember hearing about a survey of people regarding money. The researches asked people from various income levels and the responses were surprisingly similar- The question was: "How much money would it take for you to live comfortably?" Well pretty much at every economic level people would respond that having a little more money would do it...even at the millionaire level!
That shows that people don't really focus on what they have and money doesn't really satisfy one's needs.
Knowing this helps to keep my attention on what really matters...a relationship with God, love from my family, and good friendships...the stuff money can't buy!

(we may also want to look at: are there some who do not involve in sexual immorality, who are not trouble-makers, who don't drink, fight, smoke, do drugs, steal etc.. and yet they are not Christians?)
Of coarse, I have known and do know many. There is one that is one of my best friends.

Money Matters, a LOT.
Any Christian that has any sense will agree.
Money is the lubricant of life, and if you have it your life flows much smoother and if you dont your life feels like you are stuck in glue.
Having money does not make you less of a Christian, and not having it does not make you a better Christian, as the Blood of Christ has made you a COMPLETED Christian, already.

and any comments about...."well, i believe God wants me poor so that i can suffer for Christ"..
Please be smarter and dont post that martyr complex nonsense.
thx.

K

This is very true.

Money to me is like a gun or a sword. Its all on you to see its uses for good to yourself and others. If you live and die by the sword; you will die if you live for money.
That's me personally because I can't trust myself, not trying to be a martyr or anything.
The streets are good to me for the simple reason that I am healthier and clear minded. One day I will get beyond my flesh and have no need of the simple homeless life.

nobody said anything about being poor to suffer. I think that's more a Catholic thing anyway, in the monastic orders.

Im a fan of St. Francis and im a fan of Rich Mullins.
However, they chose their lifestyle of "poverty", or low income living.... and its their right.
Its admirable, perhaps.... but its not a scriptural requirement.

Im a fan of St. Francis and im a fan of Rich Mullins.
However, they chose their lifestyle of "poverty", or low income living.... and its their right.
Its admirable, perhaps.... but its not a scriptural requirement.
There is a reference in the sermon on the mount about a certain kind of poverty, but that is about those who are poor in spirit. This can take on many different faces, but it ultimately means one needs to become spiritually bankrupt in order to realize they need God in their lives in order to fill them up. Financial poverty can be a symptom of it, but is not always a direct result.

but it ultimately means one needs to become spiritually bankrupt in order to realize they need God in their lives in order to fill them up.

And would you agree that coming to the realization that this world only offers a happy meal that leaves you hungry, is a giant first step in the life of a truth seeker who is on the final quest for something real, something authentic, something eternal?

And would you agree that coming to the realization that this world only offers a happy meal that leaves you hungry, is a giant first step in the life of a truth seeker who is on the final quest for something real, something authentic, something eternal?
Possibly, but they need the Holy Spirit to open their eyes so they see it. Without that they are destined to search blindly for other solutions.

Possibly, but they need the Holy Spirit to open their eyes so they see it. Without that they are destined to search blindly for other solutions.

Finding out what isnt true, is the best way to learn what IS True, and this is because experience is the college of life.
Finders have to be seekers, and nothing is truly discovered unless it is sought with an open mind and an open heart.
"knock and ye shall find".
"ask and it shall be opened, it shall be revealed".

or, try this...

Truth and Untruth went swimming.
While Truth's back was turned, Untruth stole Truth's clothes and left.
Now,
Untruth parades around in Truth's clothes..... while Truth goes about as the Naked Truth.

K

...give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.
Proverbs 30:8b-9 NIV

Finding out what isnt true, is the best way to learn what IS True, and this is because experience is the college of life.
Finders have to be seekers, and nothing is truly discovered unless it is sought with an open mind and an open heart.
"knock and ye shall find".
"ask and it shall be opened, it shall be revealed".

or, try this...

Truth and Untruth went swimming.
While Truth's back was turned, Untruth stole Truth's clothes and left.
Now,
Untruth parades around in Truth's clothes..... while Truth goes about as the Naked Truth.

K
But, as I have mentioned, no one will know the real Truth unless it is revealed to them by the Holy Spirit.

But, as I have mentioned, no one will know the real Truth unless it is revealed to them by the Holy Spirit.

And like im mentioning back ...... you have to seek before you get any revelation:)

Its the same with salvation.<
Jesus isnt MIA, we are, till we find him.:)

And like im mentioning back ...... you have to seek before you get any revelation:)

Its the same with salvation.<
Jesus isnt MIA, we are, till we find him.:)
But we will never find Him until we are quickened by the Holy Spirit to do so.

But we will never find Him until we are quickened by the Holy Spirit to do so.
Absolutely.
But we are searching when we are Quickened.
And keep in mind that it was you that said "they realize they need God in their lives".
So, my point has remained the same.....in that, the "realization" is due to them looking for something to fill them up.
That is a search.:)

Absolutely.
But we are searching when we are Quickened.
And keep in mind that it was you that said "they realize they need God in their lives".
So, my point has remained the same.....in that, the "realization" is due to them looking for something to fill them up.
That is a search.:)
I guess that is one way to miss the point.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back