Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Issue....

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
R

RadicalReformer

There has been a lot of contention between the non-Roman Catholics and the Roman Catholics as of late. I would suggest that the issue at hand is the use of syntax and grammar.

From what I understand, based on the Catechism (or a papal bull), Roman Catholics are not supposed to refer to each other as anything else besides "Catholic" or "Catholic Christian". They are not supposed to add or allow others to add any adjective to narrowly define themselves - ie: Roman Catholic. Likewise, the "church" that they are members of (I am referring to the localized body of believers that assemble to participate in worship or Mass) is to be referred to solely as the Church.

On the flip side, those of us who do not ascribe to the teachings handed down by the Pope or the Magesterium, or the Catechism of the Catholic Church are labeled as such: "separated brothers", "defective brothers", "non-communal brothers", "non-Catholic Christians", and we gather for worship in a church building. When speaking about the salvation of those outside of the Roman Catholic church - it is said that "hopefully" there is salvation for them. Salvation is not a guessing game - if it was, there would be no hope in it.

What I do find offensive when talking with practicing Catholics - especially those who are in cyberspace as Catholic apologists (note that they even degrade their own who are not as "practicing" referring to them as "cafeteria Catholics" - is that I am left to feel somehow LESS of a Christian or Less of a member of the Body of Christ because I do not ascribe to their teachings.

Now, I am sure that it is not unique to the Catholic, however - I have not been involved with such issues between other Christians of various faith traditions. For example, I do not feel less of a brother in Christ when I talk to a Lutheran, Baptist, etc.

I have no problem with discussing theology among ALL brethren - and yes, the goal would be unity in thought - however I also realize that unity is not probably this side of heaven - since no matter what we are ALL affected by sin. Even within the Catholic church there are those who disagree among themselves. I believe it was Catholic Crusader who disagreed with the past two Popes on their stance with the War On Iraq. Not to mention "Traditional Catholics" who believe that Vatican II was invalid, and as such anything happening afterwards is invalid.

The issue comes in how we treat each other. I understand that to the Catholic they do not believe they are being arrogant, because they believe they possess the Truth. To speak the Truth is not to be arrogant, I understand - however, one can still be condescending and arrogant in tone and speech.

One must ask themselves why God allowed the various divisions among the brethren, starting with the Great Schism, and the Reformation. Is there something to be learned by it? I would hope so.

The term "catholic" simply means universal. I am a catholic - I am a member of the universal Body of Christ. More than being "catholic", I am a Christian. I am a follower of Christ, who seeks to rely on the Holy Spirit for guidance, direction, and teaching. I seek to be transformed into the image of Christ, to walk in the Spirit and not the flesh. Everyday I fail at it, and everyday God is gracious and merciful to pick me up, dust me off, and start me on the path again. I am no different from anyone else in this forum, or in the world for that matter. I am loved by God. I have placed my faith and my trust in Jesus Christ, who through His death has granted assurance to those who walk in His ways and believe in His name.

I personally am ashamed if I cannot accept another brother or sister on that same path, and I am saddened if I am not welcomed fully to stand beside another brother or sister on path to walk with them.

There can be no unity if we cannot first walk with each other, support each other, encourage each other, and discipline each other. The Christian faith is not solely an intellectual faith, it is not science, math, or any other academic exercise, rather it is lived out faith - a practicing faith, a moving faith, a serving faith. If we get too bent out of shape about the intellect, we will never be able to walk beside each other - an in the long run, we will never "change" - we will merely get more and more stubborn.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back