Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

The Lord's Prayer in Aramaic: The Ancient Spoken Language of Jesus (Video)

I love the music video. The spoken teaching that's first is great. Spoken Aramaic there reminds me of the dialect in the Lakota language. So many similarities of sound.

I know one Hebrew prayer (in Hebrew) that I recited in the Fiddler On The Roof (I was the Rabbi). There are some similar sounds I heard. Very cool.
Here's mine:

בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה ה' אֱ-לֹהֵינוּ מֶלֶךְ הָעוֹלָם שֶׁהַכֹּל נִהְיָה בִּדְבָרוֹ.‬

Transliteration: Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu, Melekh ha'olam, shehakol nih'ye bidvaro.

Translation: "Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the universe, through Whose word everything comes into being."

I think they usually sing their prayers. Not totally sure but it is interesting.

I like the teaching video. The musical version in the second video is beautiful.

I like the spoken version . It reminds me of the Mel Gibson film.
The music version is meditative. Very relaxing to listen to. I've not seen this music video before so thank you for sharing here. The only time I had heard Aramaic language spoken was in the movie, The Passion of the Christ.
That was awesome. The portrayal of Jesus and his speaking in Aramaic. That movie allowed us to imagine what it would be like to hear him teach all those centuries ago.

I loved the Aramaic version so much I wanted to add more. Thank you
Thank you! Syriac version was referred to in the other language video here. That makes this a very well rounded thread to have both the Aramaic and Syriac. Beautiful.

This young woman's voice is precious. The Syriac version.
I don't sound that good even in the shower. :bath:lol

lol about singing in the shower.
Hey now, if the Loofah had ears they would be very impressed!
7517.gif

Her voice sounded too good to be live. It gave me chills again
:) :hug

God's blessings to all. May this bring comfort to those who seek and inspiration to those who are at home in our Lord. Amen.

I just watched this, VERY worth the time!!
Does anyone know of this publisher, or how to get these books? It's exactly what I've been hoping to come across for a very long time

I love it! It makes Scripture more like hearing a sermon that is really, really good.
There's nothing wrong with a word-for-word version of the Bible, but that can never convey what is to be understood culturally, let alone idioms of speech.
I can't picture myself investing the time to actually learn Aramaic, but I do need to start reading Scripture based on it and maybe even read a commentary for the first time.

Ok doing a little reading up on George Lamsa reveals he had some ideas that were ... controversial to say the least.
He grew up on the border of Iraq and Turkey, considered himself a Nestorian Assyrian, and died in 1976. There's been lots of archeological discoveries since then, with much scholarship following.

Here's a list of websites having good, non-controversial translations directly from the Aramaic:

Aent.org
Aramaic NT.com
LightOfWord.org

Benjamin Netanyahu and the Pope recently agreed Jesus spoke Aramaic, and also knew Hebrew. It is a contested claim that our NT was first written in Aramaic and only then translated into Greek; there are strong arguments for both sides.
Understanding Aramaic idioms used in Scripture along with their cultural significance will certainly add to our understanding of Scripture!

I'm new to all this, so I know literally nothing about what tools are available, which are good, which are best. Hopefully we can use this thread to share good things?

I have a question to maybe kick off further discussion: I understand Thayer's lexicon was obsolete almost as soon as it was printed, and I find an Aramaic lexicon at the first site I gave. Is this a good lexicon? What's the best lexicon? (A deep discussion of this last question probably needs its own thread, but a mention shouldn't hurt?)

Back