Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The morality of free music downloading

Is it a morally justifiable thing to do?

• Yes - the music industry is corrupt anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - it's pure theft.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This is a good topic. What have the Christian Jurists said on this matter? For us Muslims only religious music is permissible, but the question still arises, whether its permissible?

I never buy Cd's because all my music is MP3, i have a credit card and am able to purchase music but honestly i don't feel like spending over 2000$ for my music and since i can get them free at no hassle what so ever i go for it.

Jules C said:
I wonder what you think? I mean peer-to-peer applications like Limewire.

I think its wrong. In my opinion, whether the music industry is corrupt or not, its the Artists that lose out. In theory a band may sell one CD (pocketing maybe 2 or 3 pounds) and through the use of the internet their entire fan base could download that same file free of charge.

I must admit that this is something I used to do but not any more. Its the same as getting your hands on copied CD's, DVD's or video games and I would consider that to be a crime, in fact it is a crime. One of my brothers buys copied DVD's and I have watched a few while over his house but if I like it and want a copy for myself, then I'll buy it off the net or from a store. If I haven't the money to do so then....that's my problem, not the music or movie industries and i will go without.

It's theft, therefore it's wrong.

Its hard sometimes though. (Concerning Games/DVD's)

For example, yesterday i wanted to play UT3 on my newly upgraded PC, I searched all around town for a copy, after hours of searching and calling i came up with nothing, this left me with 3 choices, 1 order form store and wait upwards of 4-5 weeks. 2, order online and wait 4-5 weeks, or 3. download in 2 days.

You see for me i would have bought it legit, but it was not made available to me so i downloaded it.

The same scenarios often happen with movies, If a new movie comes out my local theater may not have it so i would have to drive to the closest other one...130kms away. So i would have to drive 230kms pay for gas and admission, take time off, to see a movie that i might not even like...Or i can download in 2 hours.

If move/game/MP3 theft is a sin, its 100% the hardest thing to repent from.

I can understand your frustration and honestly, I am not trying to have a go at you but theft is still theft and a sin is still a sin no matter how one may justify it, of course if someone's life was at stake then that may change things.

I used to buy stolen goods. To get their hands on the goods for sale, these people rob homes, cars and mug people on the street. I eventually came to my senses and realised that it was because of people like me (who are willing to buy these stolen goods) that they continue to commit their crimes. Just because it wasn't me who beat up a kid to get my hands on his mobile doesn't make me any less guilty of it. I think the same applies to music etc its robbing the artists of what's rightfully theirs.

I used to repair Computers. I was shocked to see how many Church Computers were
loaded up with stolen software.

2m7xd85jg0.jpg

It is theft when you think of the money that is being lost/stolen through piracy.

Ignore my post if that was meant as a joke. :)

Yeah, I thought it was an interesting subject and I can see both sides of the argument.

You're taking something without paying which, at first sight, I would not hesitate to label theft.

But - bigwigs like Simon Cowell who lives in a mansion and has made an obscene fortune by selling cheapo five-minute-wonder music to poor gullible kids...he's not exactly blameless either.

johnmuise said:
If you're taking something from someone and not paying for it, how is that not a sin?

This really is a one-sided argument. It doesn't matter how rich someone may get off of music, movies, software, etc., if they've created it, then they have every right to charge how much they want and market it in any way they choose.

Our impatience or lack of finances does not justify theft.

Free said:
johnmuise said:
If you're taking something from someone and not paying for it, how is that not a sin?

This really is a one-sided argument. It doesn't matter how rich someone may get off of music, movies, software, etc., if they've created it, then they have every right to charge how much they want and market it in any way they choose.

Our impatience or lack of finances does not justify theft.

Your right but i don't think I am going to stop anytime soon. :smt020

Edit: well execpt when it comes to System of a down, they made a album called "steal this album" LOL they told me too :lol:

Whats funny is these "gansta" rappers, who sing about nothing but breaking laws, have a moral stance once it hits them in the wallet.

Joshua said:
Whats funny is these "gansta" rappers, who sing about nothing but breaking laws, have a moral stance once it hits them in the wallet.

But that is not a valid reason for us as Christians to lower our moral stance, when it comes to the illigal downloading and copying of THEIR music. I'm not saying that this is what you're trying to get at but i know that some Christians think like this. When a Christian begins to pick and choose which sins matter to them, how are they any different than the rapper?

JohnMuise said:
Your right but i don't think I am going to stop anytime soon.
So, you agree with me that it is immoral but you don't want to stop? :-?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back