Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Mouse Is Dead

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

Still Think The Mouse Isn’t Dead?

aa.png
We’ve been over this. But many of you felt the need to argue — passionately — about the fate of an input device we all use today: the mouse. I say it’s dead. Well not dead, dead — yet. But the wheels are clearly in motion. Many disagree. And I thought it was worth bringing up again upon seeing the demo video that Microsoft put out there for Windows 8.
I mean, does anyone still think the mouse isn’t dead?
I can understand that after Apple put a gun to the head of the mouse with the release of the Magic Trackpad, people were skeptical. “Apple has basically no market share!,†was the basis of most of the basic arguments. The bigger point was that we’re moving into a world where touch is king, lead by the smartphones and tablets. These devices are going to start influencing our more traditional computers, not the other way around.
But still, many were quick to argue that the PC will never go mouse-less. Which is silly. In fact, it’s going to next year. And Microsoft — yes, Microsoft! — is leading that charge.
Sure, they point out in the video that the Windows 8 interface can still be used with a mouse. But that’s laughable. Watch what they’re doing in those videos. How are you going to do some of those gestures with a mouse? And even the ones you can do, it will be a thousand times harder than if you just use touch gestures. Microsoft admits that Windows 8 is designed for touch.
Others have argued about the ergonomics. No way touchscreen computers replace the more comfortable mouse-on-the-desktop paradigm, right? Those people aren’t thinking about this deeply enough. It’s not just about directly manipulating a screen via touch, it will be about using touch pads as well that reside on desktops. You know, like the Magic Trackpad.
We’re about the see the first real step in this post-mouse direction in a few weeks. When OS X Lion is released, it will quickly become apparent that it’s much better suited for users with trackpads rather than users with mice. I suspect Apple will start selling more Magic Trackpads as a result. (There’s a reason the in-store iMacs now have Magic Trackpads as the standard.)
And again, this goes deeper. OS X Lion has been billed by Apple as OS X meets iOS. A big part of this intersection is touch. This is the way that upcoming generations are going to grow up using computers. Hell, in just one year, the iPad has already broken my brain with regard to input controls. I keep trying to touch my MacBook screen to scroll — it’s driving me insane. OS X Lion will alleviate some of the pain.
While it will die as the primary input method for computing, the mouse will continue to reside for many years as a precision tool. It’s something that graphical designers and hardcore gamers will continue to pray at the alter of (or trackballs, I suppose). But the rest of us will be touching our data, our apps, the web, etc. And this early look at Windows 8 is nothing if not an admission of that.
The mouse had a good run. But it’s over.
Still Think The Mouse Isn’t Dead?

Getting away from the mechanical should always be the goal. More recently "harddrives" are getting away from the spinning platter. Western digital offers SSDs (Solid State Drives) from 32 gig to 256 gig. Still pricey, yes... one can get the 128G model for about 250USD. But as with any "new" technology cost will come down as time goes on.
I like the "no spin" idea :biggrin

Unfortunately, Microsoft still has the market in saying what kind of hardware is to be used, and they "force phase out" hardware they don't like with each new OS which is why poor people are left in the dark unless they get a new PC on sale or something to that effect. Microsoft wanted to phase out the floppy disk a few years back, and they've succeeded which is why memory sticks are now abundant.

I'm not against progress, as I would rather see only two types of "drives" myself, i.e. permanent (on a chip) and removable (such as a memory stick) along with the usual RAM which is not permanent storage, but the memory your computer uses immediately to run the OS and applications.

As for a mouse, I have no problem with using something else as long as it's ergonomically comfortable AND it works right; not having to struggle more to do the same thing one could do with a mouse.

However, if Microsoft still flops on this one, I can assure everyone that Linux still would make their operating systems accommodate a mouse. It's bad enough that Microsofters have to walk on eggshells daily in fear that an innocent click on any well-established web site could bring a total disablement from a virus that even professionals have a hard time removing. That, along with the frustration of not being able to work a computer as easily as before will have people turning to a different OS without those problems. So, Microsoft better at least get the latter part right since they never will get the former right.

I occasionally do some photo restoration. I can't imagine using anything but a mouse to do these sort of things.

As for a mouse, I have no problem with using something else as long as it's ergonomically comfortable AND it works right; not having to struggle more to do the same thing one could do with a mouse.
I agree. If the touch is done well, then I'm for it. I'm mostly on notebooks now, so I rarely use the mouse. Why do that when you can use key commands and a trackpad?

Only way I see the mouse surviving is PC gaming. I find it so much easier to game with a mouse than a trackpad. But I much prefer Xbox for gaming anyway. Not sure if that's the general trend though, to move away from PC's for gaming.

Oh, and Potluck, I agree about SSD's. This'll be good, once they become more affordable.

I occasionally do some photo restoration. I can't imagine using anything but a mouse to do these sort of things.
Actually valid point. How will touch work in programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator?

Before you see me using touch I want it to support ten separate inputs at once (aka all ten digits).

It also needs to keep itself clean, because I hate having to clean touch screens, since the act of cleaning it is also touching it and it messes everything up real bad.

Before you see me using touch I want it to support ten separate inputs at once (aka all ten digits).

It also needs to keep itself clean, because I hate having to clean touch screens, since the act of cleaning it is also touching it and it messes everything up real bad.
If I had 1 cent for every dirty touchscreen I've seen......

Then again, looking at this from another angle, Maybe Microsoft wants to phase out the mouse because of the other Apple and Droid "touch stuff" out there. In another thread the topic was about what Steve Jobs said that the PC was going to be "just another device" as most portable electronics can now do what PC's do.

I agree. But this may be a last ditch effort on Microsoft's part to try to pioneer something similar to the features in portable devices. Since Microsoft will ultimately and definitely fail miserably at cell phones and other portable devices, I would imagine they are going to try to grab every opportunity to stay afloat.

And again, my next computer I built will "not have any moving parts" like I specified earlier. And this computer will be hybrid PC-like and yet smaller, compact device-like. And the OS of choice (which is compatible to other devices) will be Linux Ubuntu. Microsoft cannot handle this computer I want to build.

Then again, looking at this from another angle, Maybe Microsoft wants to phase out the mouse because of the other Apple and Droid "touch stuff" out there. In another thread the topic was about what Steve Jobs said that the PC was going to be "just another device" as most portable electronics can now do what PC's do.

I agree. But this may be a last ditch effort on Microsoft's part to try to pioneer something similar to the features in portable devices. Since Microsoft will ultimately and definitely fail miserably at cell phones and other portable devices, I would imagine they are going to try to grab every opportunity to stay afloat.

And again, my next computer I built will "not have any moving parts" like I specified earlier. And this computer will be hybrid PC-like and yet smaller, compact device-like. And the OS of choice (which is compatible to other devices) will be Linux Ubuntu. Microsoft cannot handle this computer I want to build.
I think you will find this article interesting (remove space after www)
http://www. smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/blogs/gadgets-on-the-go/windows-8-turns-computers-into-gadgets-20110603-1fjl7.html

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back