Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Origin of Satan and his demons

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Alfred Persson

MR
2024 Supporter
Satan is the head of the demons and led their rebellion against God; he now leads them in propagating evil in the world.

According to Scripture, Satan was a particularly powerful and high-ranking angel who led one third of the angelic host to rebel against God (Eph 2:2; Rev 12:1–12). Satan is a Hebrew word that means “adversary” (שָׂטָן). Scripture also refers to Satan as “the devil” (Matt 4:1, 5; Lk 4:2, 3; Eph 6:11), “the serpent” (Gen 3:1; 2 Cor 11:3; Rev 20:2), “the great dragon” (Rev 12:9; cf Rev 20:2), “the prince of the power of the air” (Eph 2:2), “the god of this age” (2 Cor 4:4), “the evil one” (Matt 13:19, 38; Jn 17:15; Eph 6:16), “the prince of demons” (Matt 9:34; 12:24; Mk 3:22; Lk 11:15), “the accuser” (Rev 12:10), and “the tempter” (Matt 4:3; 1 Thess 3:5). Like the other angels and demons, Satan is an invisible being who is highly intelligent and very powerful.

Satan was responsible for tempting Eve in the garden and leading humanity’s first parents into sin. Though Genesis never explicitly identifies the serpent as Satan, later Scripture identifies the “ancient serpent” as “Satan” (Rev 12:9; 20:2). Since his initial rebellion, Satan has continued to work against God’s righteous and saving purposes in the world. He actively opposes the propagation of the gospel by blinding unbelievers to its truth (2 Cor 4:4), persecuting the church (2 Cor 12:7; 1 Thess 2:17–18; Rev 2:10), and promoting false doctrine (Jn 8:44; cf 1 Tim 4:1). Satan actively seeks to incite Christians to fall into sin and is constantly attempting to ensnare them in unrighteousness (2 Cor 11:3). Satan is also an accuser, calling the faith of Christians into question before God and accusing them of sin (Job 1:9–11; Rev 12:10).

As a created being, Satan, though powerful, is not equal with God. Instead, like the other demons, he is wholly subject to God’s sovereign will (Job 1:6–12; 2:1–10).-Emadi, S. (2018). Satan. In M. Ward, J. Parks, B. Ellis, & T. Hains (Eds.), Lexham Survey of Theology. Lexham Press.

Any Bible dictionary will provide the above, what follows is the rest of the story they do not report.

Satan is more powerful than the Archangel Michael (Dan. 10:13; Jude 1:9), he is called the “anointed cherub” making him “Arch-cherub” among the Cherubim which is the highest order of created beings above seraphim and angels. While the other cherubim carried the throne of God, Satan was its “covering roof” a “canopy over the Throne” (Ez. 28:14).

“Perfect” in his ways until iniquity was found in him, he became prideful about his own beauty (Ez. 28:15, 17; 1 Tim. 3:6) and his wisdom was corrupted (Ez. 28:17), desiring to be worshiped (Isa. 14:13-15; Lk. 4:6-8). Rather than glorify God for his perfections, he became vain in his reasoning.

Satan looked deep within himself and saw iniquity, he had selfish motives for serving God. Likely "Confirmation Bias" convinced him the same was true for everyone. Therefore, God made a terrible mistake believing sentient life would share life with Him in mutual “true love”. As God made a mistake, His own criteria disqualified from being God (Is. 41:21-24). Satan then “trafficked (Ez. 28:5) his argument angel to angel, eventually convincing a third of likeminded angels to join his rebellion (Rev. 12:4).

Satan thought Job would prove to the heavenly court: “God’s pronouncement Job is blameless and upright is an error, God made a mistaking believing Job does not have selfish motives causing his devotion to God:

6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.
7 And the LORD said to Satan, “From where do you come?” So Satan answered the LORD and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it.”
8 Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?”
9 So Satan answered the LORD and said, “Does Job fear God for nothing?
10 “Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.
11 “But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!”
12 And the LORD said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person.” So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD. (Job 1:6-12 NKJ)

Satan lost his case, God was right about Job. But Satan’s main argument, “there is a selfish motive for every act of devotion to God” still seemed incontrovertible to a third of heavens angels (Rev. 12:3-4) No doubt “confirmation bias” contributed to their error, they projected their own selfish motives onto others.

What incontrovertible proof “unselfish love” exists would convince the heavenly court? The incarnation of Christ.

Jesus proved unselfish love exists when He made Himself of no reputation leaving all the privileges and prerogatives of Godhood because He loved the Father more than life itself and loved man with true unselfish love.

4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.
8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,
11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Phil. 2:4-11 NKJ)

The Father proved unselfish love exists, when He gave His only begotten Son the “apple of His eye” so all who believe in Him shall not perish.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, (Jn. 3:16 NKJ)

Therefore, both the Father and Son incontrovertibly establish unselfish love exists:

It is written:

By the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established. (Deut. 19:15 NKJ)

The incarnation of Christ so irrefutably proved Satan wrong demons cannot say “Jesus Christ came in the flesh”, they choke on the words as the terror of the LORD overwhelms all rational thought.

2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God,
3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world. (1 Jn. 4:2-3 NKJ)

That is the origin of Satan and his fallen angels.

Last edited:
That is the origin of Satan and his fallen angels. They “bet the farm” God would disqualify Himself from being God once Satan proved He made a great mistake creating intelligent free willed life to dwell with, in mutual “true love”:

13 For you have said in your heart:`I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north;
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.’
15 Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, To the lowest depths of the Pit.
16 “Those who see you will gaze at you, And consider you, saying:`Is this the man who made the earth tremble, Who shook kingdoms,
17 Who made the world as a wilderness And destroyed its cities, Who did not open the house of his prisoners?’
18 “All the kings of the nations, All of them, sleep in glory, Everyone in his own house;
19 But you are cast out of your grave Like an abominable branch, Like the garment of those who are slain, Thrust through with a sword, Who go down to the stones of the pit, Like a corpse trodden underfoot.
20 You will not be joined with them in burial, Because you have destroyed your land And slain your people. The brood of evildoers shall never be named. (Isa. 14:13-20 NKJ)

What makes you think that Dan 10:13, Eze 28:5, 14-17, and Isa 14:13-20 and 41:21-24 are speaking about Satan? What reason could there be for a Bible dictionary to leave those passages out when discussing Satan?

What makes you think that Dan 10:13, Eze 28:5, 14-17, and Isa 14:13-20 and 41:21-24 are speaking about Satan? What reason could there be for a Bible dictionary to leave those passages out when discussing Satan?
In context are details that indicate a parallelism with Satan and Lucifer, and King of Tyre. As for Daniel, who but Satan could resist God's angel? Only with Michael's help could he proceed to Daniel:

"But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia. (Dan. 10:13 NKJ)

Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!" (Jude 1:9 NKJ)

AND Micheal is the "prince" of Israel so the "prince of Persia" is no mere human:

"At that time Michael shall stand up, The great prince who stands watch over the sons of your people; And there shall be a time of trouble, Such as never was since there was a nation, Even to that time. And at that time your people shall be delivered, Every one who is found written in the book. (Dan. 12:1 NKJ)

In context are details that indicate a parallelism with Satan and Lucifer, and King of Tyre. As for Daniel, who but Satan could resist God's angel? Only with Michael's help could he proceed to Daniel:

"But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia. (Dan. 10:13 NKJ)

Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!" (Jude 1:9 NKJ)

AND Micheal is the "prince" of Israel so the "prince of Persia" is no mere human:

"At that time Michael shall stand up, The great prince who stands watch over the sons of your people; And there shall be a time of trouble, Such as never was since there was a nation, Even to that time. And at that time your people shall be delivered, Every one who is found written in the book. (Dan. 12:1 NKJ)
That is precisely what I’m asking though—what is in any of those contexts that shows they are speaking of Satan?

That is precisely what I’m asking though—what is in any of those contexts that shows they are speaking of Satan?
The King of Tyre was not ever "the seal of perfection etc"; Never was he in Eden. Humans cannot be "anointed Cherubs" nor can they "cover" the heavenly throne of God like a canopy. As for Daniel, I already explained that.

11 Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
12 "Son of man, take up a lamentation for the king of Tyre, and say to him,`Thus says the Lord GOD: "You were the seal of perfection, Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The sardius, topaz, and diamond, Beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold. The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes Was prepared for you on the day you were created.
14 "You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; You were on the holy mountain of God; You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones.
15 You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, Till iniquity was found in you. (Ezek. 28:11-15 NKJ)

Only Satan can be all those things, "until iniquity" was found in him.

God made a mistake? I've never heard that before. Hmmm, that would 'blow up' the idea that God is all knowing.
:chin ... wonder what other mistakes God made :chin .... or is the "God made a mistake" a misstatement ...
You misread it. Read it again please.

God predicates the "correctness" of His being God over all other alleged "gods" because He never makes a mistake.

Satan believed he found God made a mistake thinking intelligent free will creatures want to be in a "unselfish loving relationship" with God. He looked deep inside himself, and "iniquity" was found. He realized his devotion to God had selfish motives.

"Confirmation bias" likely caused him to believe everyone had selfish motives.

It is a fact no intelligent creature acts without "self-interest", to gain a "good". No one "jumps up" and starts doing things, unless he has some "good" to obtain or is insane.

But if the "good" is unselfish love for God and wanting to please Him, that is NOT a selfish act.

Recall what God said about Job, he was "blameless". Satan thought he could prove God wrong, that deep inside Job he had selfish motives for his devotion to God.

This all happened in the heavenly court. Satan was making a "legal" case to all the angels, that God had made a mistake.

If Satan could prove God made a mistake, by God's own criteria He would have no right to act as God, Satan and his angels could live apart from God and do what they wanted.

A third of heaven's angels believed Satan's argument and joined his rebellion.

[Hence, in the plan of God from before the foundation of the world, the "chaff" was separated from the wheat, to be burned in the appointed time.]

Last edited:
Satan is more powerful than the Archangel Michael (Dan. 10:13; Jude 1:9)

Michael is superior in power and might to Satan.

And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. Revelation 12:7-9

Michael is superior in power and might to Satan.

And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. Revelation 12:7-9
Heaven's angels outnumber Satan's angels, 2/3 against 1/3.

Satan is a cherub, they are the most powerful among God's creatures. They guarded Eden, guard God's throne. If Michael was stronger, he would have stopped Satan by himself and drove him away from Moses' body.

We know the LORD Jesus must have rebuked Satat because Moses later appears at the Transfiguration and so his body was resurrected.

Peter, James, and John his brother, led them up on a high mountain by themselves;
2 and He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light.
3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him.
4 Then Peter answered and said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, let us make here three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah."
(Matt. 17:1-4 NKJ)

Peter wanted to erect tents so they could sit down. As an eyewitness, he knew this happened, and Moses and Elijah were physically with Christ.

The King of Tyre was not ever "the seal of perfection etc"; Never was he in Eden. Humans cannot be "anointed Cherubs" nor can they "cover" the heavenly throne of God like a canopy. As for Daniel, I already explained that.

11 Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
12 "Son of man, take up a lamentation for the king of Tyre, and say to him,`Thus says the Lord GOD: "You were the seal of perfection, Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The sardius, topaz, and diamond, Beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold. The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes Was prepared for you on the day you were created.
14 "You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; You were on the holy mountain of God; You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones.
15 You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, Till iniquity was found in you. (Ezek. 28:11-15 NKJ)

Only Satan can be all those things, "until iniquity" was found in him.
“Only Satan.” How do you know, since none of those passages mention Satan?

“Only Satan.” How do you know, since none of those passages mention Satan?
Its not a man. It is about some celestial being who walked in Eden, and iniquity was found in him. Add it all up, only Satan fits the details.

Frankly, the theory Scripture has little to say about Satan, the arch enemy of man....is absurd.

Its not a man. It is about some celestial being who walked in Eden, and iniquity was found in him. Add it all up, only Satan fits the details.
But, again, where is Satan mentioned in any of those passages, including Daniel? If Satan isn’t mentioned, then could it be that you’re reading preconceived ideas into those texts?

But, again, where is Satan mentioned in any of those passages, including Daniel? If Satan isn’t mentioned, then could it be that you’re reading preconceived ideas into those texts?
Elementary deduction is required to understand scripture. One must be able to reason from scripture details, the likely cause of the details.

I made my case. Others will judge it.

There are so, so many things I would like to address in the OP. But most of the things related to this topic I have covered in other OP's I have made.

For this; I would like to say you are correct. God did make a mistake; but not as you posted. As with any parent, God gave all His Children unconditional love; and the trust that goes with that. You may have heard the saying, "spare the rod, spoil the child". The Children were spoiled; and Father did not foresee the need to "look to the future", with the firm belief that His Children would always obey Him (and with the knowledge that He could force obedience). Satan could not "prove anything" in relation to God; there simply is no higher court Satan could appeal to. Satan also has played no "direct role" on this earth, he did not plant the Tree of Knowledge; and he certainly could not make a serpent "speak".

There are so, so many things I would like to address in the OP. But most of the things related to this topic I have covered in other OP's I have made.

For this; I would like to say you are correct. God did make a mistake; but not as you posted. As with any parent, God gave all His Children unconditional love; and the trust that goes with that. You may have heard the saying, "spare the rod, spoil the child". The Children were spoiled; and Father did not foresee the need to "look to the future", with the firm belief that His Children would always obey Him (and with the knowledge that He could force obedience). Satan could not "prove anything" in relation to God; there simply is no higher court Satan could appeal to. Satan also has played no "direct role" on this earth, he did not plant the Tree of Knowledge; and he certainly could not make a serpent "speak".
You misread it. Read it again please.

God NEVER makes mistakes.

Elementary deduction is required to understand scripture. One must be able to reason from scripture details, the likely cause of the details.

I made my case. Others will judge it.
I’m all for reasoning from the Scriptures, which is precisely what I am trying to help you with. Satan is not mentioned anywhere in those passages, nor even hinted at. No person reading those passages without first being taught that they’re about Satan, could come to the conclusion that they’re about Satan.

The idea that they’re about Satan has to be read into those passages.

I’m all for reasoning from the Scriptures, which is precisely what I am trying to help you with. Satan is not mentioned anywhere in those passages, nor even hinted at. No person reading those passages without first being taught that they’re about Satan, could come to the conclusion that they’re about Satan.

The idea that they’re about Satan has to be read into those passages.
I disagree. Its obviously talking about Satan. No one else fits all the details.

As I said, I made my case. You don't agree. I won't keep repeating it.

The theory I am reading into the text, is only your opinion which so far, you fail to produce any facts that I have contradicted any detail in the context.

If a picture puzzle appears properly assembled, no pieces forced to fit, it was properly assembled and unfounded denials it was assembled properly, unproved opinion.

Satan is the head of the demons and led their rebellion against God; he now leads them in propagating evil in the world.
(Just highlighting your post for space.)
It seems fallen angels have no desire to cease from sin. Maybe reconciliation was offered to them and they refused it.
Satan was responsible for tempting Eve in the garden and leading humanity’s first parents into sin.
Yes but Eve (symbolism of Christs' church Eph.5:32) is offered forgiveness.
Satan is more powerful than the Archangel Michael (Dan. 10:13; Jude 1:9), he is called the “anointed cherub” making him “Arch-cherub”
"Anointed cherub" can simply mean he was blessed by God with a great position.
Actually, Michael is the arch-angel, which can mean Michael isn't an angel, but is over them. Michael (meaning(?) He who is like God) didn't even accuse the devil but he and his angels knocked Satan to the earth.

That's very strange because the Lord of all glory rebuked but accused no one on earth.

This topic is too complex to comment on long posts.

Back