Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The ROSE of SHARON ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Eugene

The Rose of Sharon is who?
SONG OF SOLOMON Study
http://www.gracegod.com/Study Books/Song of Solomon.pdf

Highlights

The Shulamite speaks: 2:1 I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.

Solomon is addressed as “Beloved.”
The Shulamite is “My loved”, or “Love.”

Son 1:15 Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes. (Holy Spirit eyes)

Son 1:16 Behold, thou art fair, my beloved, yea, pleasant: also our bed is green.

Son 2:2 As the lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters.

Son 2:3 As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons" - 2:3.

It is the people who are infatuated with Gods Words. I'll stop short of saying obsessed. Possessed is a fair term in this regard however. :lol

I'm too old to study this one again.

For those that wish to understand the idioms of speech...be prepared to take a cold shower or two after studying.

I'm too old to study this one again.
For those that wish to understand the idioms of speech...be prepared to take a cold shower or two after studying.
Brother JohnDB, The Song of Solomon is not just another history of Israel, but is the courtship of Jesus and His bride dispensing with the idea that all the Church is the bride of Christ. The Shulamite, the very Rose of Sharon is like much of the Church today as she utters these following words in Son 1:4. "Draw me, WE will run after thee." Does she mistake the notion that all children of God run with the same intensity that we read of the Apostle Paul in 2Ti 4:7? I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. And then in
2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
2Co 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Notice a seemingly strange statement by Solomon concerning the Shulamite in Son 2:2. "As the lily among thorns, so is my love (The Shulamite) among the daughters." Is He making choices here between the daughters?
When the bride is gone there is supplications for her return in Son 6:13 Return, return, O Shulamite; return, return, that we may look upon thee. What will ye see in the Shulamite? As it were the company of two armies. (What portion of the Church do you think makes up this company of two armies?)

Blessings in Christ Jesus. :wave2

We as believers are drawn into the action to entice the lock on the door that Christ presents to us, in the hope that the ointment of Christ seeps through the LOCK. We ARE to look for that DOOR to Open and for Him to come to us more and more. That is the principle of SoS.

This is one of the presentations of the SoS.

I always engage this principle. It's a deeply ingrained part of my present life:

Song of Solomon 5:5
I rose up to open to my beloved
; and my hands dropped with myrrh, and my fingers with sweet smelling myrrh, upon the handles of the lock.

Brother JohnDB, The Song of Solomon is not just another history of Israel, but is the courtship of Jesus and His bride dispensing with the idea that all the Church is the bride of Christ. The Shulamite, the very Rose of Sharon is like much of the Church today as she utters these following words in Son 1:4. "Draw me, WE will run after thee." Does she mistake the notion that all children of God run with the same intensity that we read of the Apostle Paul in 2Ti 4:7? I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. And then in
2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
2Co 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Notice a seemingly strange statement by Solomon concerning the Shulamite in Son 2:2. "As the lily among thorns, so is my love (The Shulamite) among the daughters." Is He making choices here between the daughters?
When the bride is gone there is supplications for her return in Son 6:13 Return, return, O Shulamite; return, return, that we may look upon thee. What will ye see in the Shulamite? As it were the company of two armies. (What portion of the Church do you think makes up this company of two armies?)

Blessings in Christ Jesus. :wave2

The answer to your question is right in front of your eyes my friend. The two armies are a picture of us, a LILY amongst THORNS. There are your TWO armies and the TWO KINGDOMS that 'all scripture' engages.

Here is a picture of a master locksmith:

2 Corinthians 12:7
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

Do you see the LILY there among the THORN? Do you see the TWO ARMIES?

Ever closer.

Some believe that Solomon was writing about a woman.

I believe Solomon was writing about himself as a bride of Christ.

The term shulamite is a derivative of Solomon's own name, peaceful, in the feminine sense/application. And the Speaker is in fact the Spirit of Christ (within Solomon) when speaking to the woman and Solomon when speaking as the woman to Christ.

Song of Solomon 5:5
I rose up to open to my beloved
; and my hands dropped with myrrh, and my fingers with sweet smelling myrrh, upon the handles of the lock.
Thank you Brother smaller, and being a portion of that select company called the bride certainly includes the myrrh, sufferings, and a thorn. Rom 8:17 puts it in more familiar terms "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God (All of God's children are heirs), and joint-heirs with Christ; IF so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

I'm not seeing Saints versus the world in the Lily among thorns, but a beautiful example of what our Father is seeking for His Son's bride. Another example is in Genesis Chapter Twenty-four in types where Abraham (The Father) sends His eldest Servant Eliezer (The Holy Spirit) to His own people (In this case all believers) to take out of them a bride (Rebekah) for His son Isaac (Jesus).

My question would then be where do we find two portions of the seven locations of the ONE CHURCH in Asia of Revelation Chapters Two & Chapter Three that would fit this description of two armies? The Apostle John is shown different groups of believers arriving in heaven at separate times; some round about the throne (Rev 4:4), others in the midst of the throne (Rev 4:6), a great multitude before the throne (Rev 7:9, and one hundred and forty-four thousand with Jesus on mount Sion (The heavenly Jerusalem) (Rev 14:1), and all of these are children of God.

Some believe that Solomon was writing about a woman.
I believe Solomon was writing about himself as a bride of Christ.
That's a thought, but we read in
1 Cor 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
To me God had this written by Solomon as an example to us, and what we should be striving for. Solomon ended up being rejected even being the progenitor of Jesus, and that honor was passed to his brother Nathan on through to Mary.

That's a thought, but we read in
1 Cor 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
To me God had this written by Solomon as an example to us, and what we should be striving for. Solomon ended up being rejected even being the progenitor of Jesus, and that honor was passed to his brother Nathan on through to Mary.

There is quite a bit more than just that involved. Particularly when you say Solomon was rejected. Why Solomon was rejected in the flesh was because of the thorn, which we all bear in our own flesh. Was Solomon the thorn? No. Neither was Solomon eternally lost.

Charles Spurgeon preached several sermons on this book...

WE shall not enter into any profitless discussion this morning. We take it for granted that the Song of Solomon is a sacred marriage song between Christ and his church, and that it is the Lord Jesus who is here speaking of his church, and indeed of each individual member, saying, "As the lily among thorns, so is my darling among the daughters."

http://www.gracegems.org/SERMONS/Song of Solomon.htm

Thank you Brother smaller, and being a portion of that select company called the bride certainly includes the myrrh, sufferings, and a thorn. Rom 8:17 puts it in more familiar terms "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God (All of God's children are heirs), and joint-heirs with Christ; IF so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

I'm not seeing Saints versus the world in the Lily among thorns, but a beautiful example of what our Father is seeking for His Son's bride.

God's command for light to shine from darkness is the same command as the lily among thorns. We are not "for" the world nor are we to love the world. We are against the world and for good reasons. Scripture also tells us that thorns and briers are to be rejected and are to be burned. Hebrews 6:8.

Another example is in Genesis Chapter Twenty-four in types where Abraham (The Father) sends His eldest Servant Eliezer (The Holy Spirit) to His own people (In this case all believers) to take out of them a bride (Rebekah) for His son Isaac (Jesus).

Typology is a deep subject. I don't see any of the characters above as apart from issues for example. While the depiction above has it's merits there is no accounting on the other side of the ledgers, which is always also required in typology, as a rule. Typology in scripture does have rules of engagement.

Light and darkness is one simplicity of typology rule. There is never just one without the other. Having just a light daylight rule will never pan out in the end analysis because night also comes along, regardless.

My question would then be where do we find two portions of the seven locations of the ONE CHURCH in Asia of Revelation Chapters Two & Chapter Three that would fit this description of two armies?

It always amazes me that everyone who reads of the 7 churches insulates themselves entirely to the obvious works of darkness and of Satan and his own therein. They only read the good parts for themselves and go into automatic rejection of the bad parts. But Jesus tells us to engage in the opposite fashions. To listen to "ALL" that the Spirit says to ALL the churches.

I could obvious write at length on the subject and have many times. People always try to fit themselves into only ONE BRAND when every Word is applicable to every member. This is in fact another rule for scripture and for typology. See Jesus' Words in Matt. 4:4 and Luke 4:4 for this RULE. People who don't employ this rule are simply not listening to "every Word" as we are commanded to do. We are to take the bad Words personally. All of them. And apply them as well. If we do not fear to hear ALL the Words of our Maker we will find LIFE for ourselves, regardless.

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches"

The Apostle John is shown different groups of believers arriving in heaven at separate times; some round about the throne (Rev 4:4), others in the midst of the throne (Rev 4:6), a great multitude before the throne (Rev 7:9, and one hundred and forty-four thousand with Jesus on mount Sion (The heavenly Jerusalem) (Rev 14:1), and all of these are children of God.

Undoubtedly. As each believer is harvested out of their flesh cocoon, our temporary clay encasement, we go to our Lord, forever. There are no 2 gems that are identical in Gods Jewelry Box.

There is quite a bit more than just that involved. Particularly when you say Solomon was rejected. Why Solomon was rejected in the flesh was because of the thorn, which we all bear in our own flesh. Was Solomon the thorn? No. Neither was Solomon eternally lost.
Agreed. In the Song of Solomon he is representative of Jesus, and referred to as Beloved, and it is manifest that he is eternally saved as we are. You know, something I never thought of before is that Solomon was rejected to be the progenitor of Jesus by God, and Jesus was rejected of men to become their God Savior. :chin

It always amazes me that everyone who reads of the 7 churches insulates themselves entirely to the obvious works of darkness and of Satan and his own therein. They only read the good parts for themselves and go into automatic rejection of the bad parts. But Jesus tells us to engage in the opposite fashions. To listen to "ALL" that the Spirit says to ALL the churches.

I could obvious write at length on the subject and have many times. People always try to fit themselves into only ONE BRAND when every Word is applicable to every member. This is in fact another rule for scripture and for typology. See Jesus' Words in Matt. 4:4 and Luke 4:4 for this RULE. People who don't employ this rule are simply not listening to "every Word" as we are commanded to do. We are to take the bad Words personally. All of them. And apply them as well. If we do not fear to hear ALL the Words of our Maker we will find LIFE for ourselves, regardless.

I reckon I'm not understanding exactly what you're suggesting here. Do you think every reprimand to the church is applied to every believer? Five different locations are told to repent; two are not. For instance the Church in Smyrna was commended for remaining faithful unto death. Do you think they could be associated with the Church at Ephesus that started off well, but left the place of putting Christ first? Thanks.

I reckon I'm not understanding exactly what you're suggesting here. Do you think every reprimand to the church is applied to every believer?

It is applicable to "who" we deal with in our own flesh/mind, which is the tempter, an entity that is not us as believers.

Five different locations are told to repent; two are not. For instance the Church in Smyrna was commended for remaining faithful unto death.

I'll point back to Matt. 4:4, Luke 4:4 and repeated by Jesus again, here:

Do you think they could be associated with the Church at Ephesus that started off well, but left the place of putting Christ first? Thanks.

I don't think it has anything to do with any particular individuals or any particular location and has instead everything to do with all of us.

The instant we claim it doesn't apply or that we are "safe" we are in fact deceived.

Every Word of God applies to all of us.

the Church in Smyrna was commended for remaining faithful unto death. Do you think they could be associated with the Church at Ephesus that started off well, but left the place of putting Christ first?
I don't think it has anything to do with any particular individuals or any particular location and has instead everything to do with all of us.
The instant we claim it doesn't apply or that we are "safe" we are in fact deceived.
Every Word of God applies to all of us.
I understand that all of God's word applies to each of us, but just as with the law applying to all under the law, not all were guilty of murder. I do not believe that in Rev 3:10 all of the Church is represented by the Church of Philadelphia who faithfully keep God's word, and will be kept from the temptation to come upon all the earth. Surely they are not of them of Smyrna that remain faithful unto death do you think?
Another thing we may not be connecting on is that I believe that the seven churches were not only present in Asia at that time, but represent all the Church in its differing throughout this present dispensation of grace age as it were. In other words our walk with Christ basically determines our rewards, and represents what Paul might have been saying in
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
If everyone received the same thing in eternity, why strive for a better place? :shrug

I understand that all of God's word applies to each of us, but just as with the law applying to all under the law, not all were guilty of murder.

Depends on what measure we use. I don't believe for a minute that any of us evade being found as a sinner under the law, period.

James 2:10
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
I do not believe that in Rev 3:10 all of the Church is represented by the Church of Philadelphia who faithfully keep God's word, and will be kept from the temptation to come upon all the earth. Surely they are not of them of Smyrna that remain faithful unto death do you think?

I believe every church is comprised of sinners in the flesh and sin is of the devil. So there is obviously more to the facts than meets the surface brush off and trying to dodge the obvious. That is WHY the works of Satan and his own as well as various sins are addressed to 'church members' and we ALL have sin. There is no way to avoid listening as the dire aspects of Rev. 2-3 to the churches DO apply to our spiritual adversaries/opponents. Rather than trying to evade these quotients we should rather be heading headlong into them.

I'd give the same measures to SoS. At the end of the account the lover had lost her man and went about looking for Him. Is that not pretty much where we are all at?

Sos 8:
14 Make haste, my beloved,-

This is requesting His return.

Another thing we may not be connecting on is that I believe that the seven churches were not only present in Asia at that time,

Asia in terms of "association" is "of the east." East is an association term for evil. Technically speaking from the seat of parable/allegory ALL the churches are and remain seated in ASIA or "in the east." It really has nothing to do with a map. Just as all Gods people are in Babylon, and are all called out of her. Same principle applies. Rev. 18:4

but represent all the Church in its differing throughout this present dispensation of grace age as it were. In other words our walk with Christ basically determines our rewards, and represents what Paul might have been saying in
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
If everyone received the same thing in eternity, why strive for a better place? :shrug

Our places were set and determined by God in Christ before we arrived here. We are a predetermined part of Him, His Body. And everyone, every component will be completely satisfied with the place in His Body they receive, whatever portion that may be.

I do believe WHEN the churches listen to ALL His Words, it is at that point in time that we will see the Revelation (which is the REVEALING OF CHRIST IN US COMMUNALLY,) as it is meant to be seen.

In the meantime God leaves us to our communal hypocrisy, lies and divisions in the hopes that we sicken ourselves of it and cry out.

"After this...." is where John goes after Rev. 2-3's observations.

Last edited:
The Rose and the Lily

No. 784 Delivered on December 8th, 1867, by C. H. Spurgeon, at the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington.

"I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." -Song of Solomon 2:1.

Here are sweet flowers blooming serenely in this wintry weather. In the garden of the soul you may gather fragrant flowerets at all seasons of the year; and although the soul's garden, like every other, has its winter, yet, strange to say, no sooner do the roses and the lilies mentioned in the text begin to bloom, than the winter flies and the summer smiles. Outside in your garden, the summer brings the roses; but within the enclosure of the heart, the roses and lilies create the summer. I trust that we this morning may have grace to walk abroad in the fields of heavenly contemplation, to admire the matchless charms of him whose cheeks are as a bed of spices, as sweet flowers, whose lips are like lilies dropping sweet-smelling myrrh. May our hearts interpret the language of our text...

and sing-

'Tis he a rose? Not Sharon yields
Such fragrancy in all her fields:
Or, if the lily he assume,
The valleys bless the rich perfume."

It is our Lord who speaks: "I am the rose of Sharon." How is it that he utters his own commendation, for it is an old and true adage, that "self praise is no recommendation"? None but vain creatures ever praise themselves, and yet Jesus often praises himself, he says, "I am the good Shepherd;" "I am the Bread of Life;" "I am meek and lowly of heart," and in manifold speeches he is frequently declaring his own excellencies, yet Jesus is not vain- Scorned be the thought!

Yet I said if any creature praised itself it must be vain, and that, too, is true. How then shall we solve the riddle? Is not this the answer, that he is no creature at all, and therefore does not come beneath this rule? For the creature to praise itself is vanity, but for the Creator to praise himself, for the Lord God to manifest and show forth his own glory is becoming and proper. Hear how he extols his own wisdom and power in the end of the book of Job, and see if it is not most appropriate, as the Lord himself proclaims it! Is not God constantly ruling both providence and grace for the manifestation of his own glory, and do we not all freely consent that no motive short of his own glory would be worthy of the divine mind?

So, then, because Christ talks thus of himself, since no man dare call him vainglorious, I gather an indirect proof of his deity, and bow down before him, and bless him that he gives me this incidental evidence of his being no creature, but the uncreated one himself. An old Scotch woman once said, "He is never so bonnie as when he is commending himself;" and we all feel it so: no words appear more suitable out of his own lips than these, "I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys."

http://gracegems.org/SERMONS/2-1.htm

James 2:10
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
Brother smaller, I have no idea your thoughts of the law as pertaining to the child of God in this scripture. James is speaking of faith, and our testimony before men. He that does these things has a dead faith (Not saying they are going to hell) and cast into the fire by men; not our Savior Jesus.
Joh 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Our places were set and determined by God in Christ before we arrived here. We are a predetermined part of Him, His Body. And everyone, every component will be completely satisfied with the place in His Body they receive, whatever portion that may be.
Predestined by Jesus’ death, foreknowledge, and foreordination didn’t cause our salvation in its many aspects, we are the result of God’s great love.
Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will. Did God see something in us we didn’t? and what does this all mean since we are not merely adopted, but actually born of God?

I have a study that says “Many people shudder at the very thought of foreordination or predestination, as if the words meant that some could not be saved if they would. Be it ever remembered, that no one desires salvation until God calls him.”

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back