Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The seemingly cock-and-bull story told by Prophet Jonah

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

I have of late been thinking about the entire scene of the bible account of the fish-and-Jonah thing.

So Jonah went home and probably met an anxious-looking woman fretting about just at the entrance door. Then he calls out to the worried wife and tells her what made him disappear completely for three day. The wife believes that...huh?

I just wonder what the wives of today will do with this kind of story. Would they not roar back at the man?
"I see! Your journey with your sidechicks again huh!"

No idea if Jonah really had a wife. But it appears the people of those days trusted their spouses.

I have of late been thinking about the entire scene of the bible account of the fish-and-Jonah thing.

So Jonah went home and probably met an anxious-looking woman fretting about just at the entrance door. Then he calls out to the worried wife and tells her what made him disappear completely for three day. The wife believes that...huh?

I just wonder what the wives of today will do with this kind of story. Would they not roar back at the man?

No idea if Jonah really had a wife. But it appears the people of those days trusted their spouses.
Moses did have a wife .

What a conversation they must have had after God talked to Moses out of the burning bush !

Mathew 12: 38 -41, Jesus gave his confirmation that it is a true story.

Mathew 12: 38 -41, Jesus gave his confirmation that it is a true story.
Certainly it is.
Likening this to our world today...
It'll take a person of extravagant faith and trust to believe that "hubby was swallowed by a fish, was vomited by the fish..."

I would have thought my husband nuts if he told me where he had been for three days in the belly of a whale. The belly of of a whale, right, now where were you :rollingpin

Hi all,

Personally, I strongly doubt that Jonah was married. It seems that most of God's prophets were not so encumbered. Their lives were devoted to God and how He would use them to teach others about Himself and His desires for us. Therefore, I don't have to address the problem that Jonah may or may not have had to deal with in returning home to a wife.

As for a husband today having to deal with a wife to explain his whereabouts while out working for God...I don't think that we have such prophets today. One must remember that pretty much the whole of the old covenant writings are the writings about the prophets and how they guided Israel until Jesus, the Messiah, came. There were no 'completed' Scriptures that men could turn to and say, "Oh here, this tells us how God wants us to handle such and such a situation." Now we have the Scriptures complete. God has revealed to us all that we need to know about Him and His desires for us and all the work that He has accomplished that we might know Him and His gift of eternal life. Hence there is no need for men as prophets to teach the things of God. It's all been made clear to us all the way to the end of the age.

God bless,
Ted

We know that Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Moses and Peter were all married
HI for_his_glory

That is a true statement. Hence the word 'most' in my qualifier. I think we can likely add, oh, what's that guys name that married the prostitute and had children and called one 'unloved' and the other 'not mine', or some such?

God bless,
Ted

Certainly it is.
Likening this to our world today...
It'll take a person of extravagant faith and trust to believe that "hubby was swallowed by a fish, was vomited by the fish..."

Depends how many witnesses there are and any other evidence.

There are accounts of whalers being taken into the mouths of whales and of being spat out alive.
There is a current account of a kayaker who got caught by a humpback whale.
Extra ordinary things do happen, but one only needs ordinary evidence.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back