Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Snake Pastor Dies

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

• 'Serpent-Handling' West …
  • Serpent-Handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite

A "serpent-handling" West Virginia pastor died after his rattlesnake bit him during a church ritual, just as the man had apparently watched a snake kill his father years before.
Pentecostal pastor Mark Wolford, 44, hosted an outdoor service at the Panther Wildlife Management Area in West Virginia Sunday, which he touted on his Facebook page prior to the event.

"I am looking for a great time this Sunday," Wolford wrote May 22, according to the Washington Post. "It is going to be a homecoming like the old days. Good 'ole raised in the holler or mountain ridge running, Holy Ghost-filled speaking-in-tongues sign believers."
Robin Vanover, Wolford's sister, told the Washington Post that 30 minutes into the outdoor service, Wolford passed around a poisonous timber rattlesnake, which eventually bit him.

"He laid it on the ground," Vanover said in the interview, "and he sat down next to the snake, and it bit him on the thigh."
Vanover said Wolford was then transported to a family member's home in Bluefield about 80 miles away to recover. But as the situation worsened, he was taken to a hospital where he later died.
Jim Shires, owner of the Cravens-Shires Funeral Home in Bluefield, told ABC News that Wolford died Monday. Wolford's church, the Apostolic House of the Lord

Jesus in Matoaka, will host a viewing Friday and a funeral service Saturday morning. Wolford will be buried at the Hicks Family Plot in Phelps, Ky.
Officials at the Panther Wildlife Management Area had been unaware of Sunday's event until they were notified by callers after the service.
"We did not know that this event was happening, and if we had known about it or if we had been asked for permission, permission would not have been granted," Hoy Murphy, public information officer for the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, told ABC News.

Hoy said West Virginia state park rules prohibit animals other than dogs and cats on the property.
While snake-handling is legal in West Virginia, other Appalachian states, including Kentucky and Tennessee, have banned the practice in public spaces.
Snake-handlers point to scripture as evidence that God calls them to engage in such a practice to show their faith in him. Mark 16: 17-18 reads, "And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

Wolford told the Washington Post magazine in 2011 that he is carrying on the tradition of his ancestors by engaging in snake handling.
"Anybody can do it that believes it," Wolford said. "Jesus said, 'These signs shall follow them which believe.' This is a sign to show people that God has the power."

Wolford said watched his own father die at the age of 39 after a rattlesnake bit him during a similar service.
"He lived 101/2 hours," Wolford told the Washington Post Magazine. "When he got bit, he said he wanted to die in the church. Three hours after he was bitten, his kidneys shut down. After a while, your heart stops. I hated to see him go, but he died for what he believed in.

"I know it's real; it is the power of God," Wolford told the Washington Post Magazine last year. "If I didn't do it, if I'd never gotten back involved, it'd be the same as denying the power and saying it was not real."

They mistake the meaning of "signs" in Mark.... and pay the price.

Unfortunately, it just makes more fodder for the "Christians are nuts" crowd.

Just more misguided, overly literal, Spirit-less, interpretation of the Bible. Just yesterday I was likening the dog howling goof balls in the Toronto church to the snake handling bunch. Neither know what the true show of faith that matters is for the believer in Christ. It's sad, really, and just adds to how stupid and buffoonish Christianity looks in the eyes of the world who don't know better.

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="315"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr> <tr><td align="center" valign="top">
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]</td></tr><tr><td>[SIZE=-2] [/SIZE]</td></tr> <tr><td align="center" valign="top"></td></tr></tbody></table>

I saw this guy on TV once or twice, his using snakes in a church service is twisted. And just like his father, a snake has killed him.

1 Corinthians 10:9 Nor let us try the Lord, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the serpents.

Just seemed appropriate here.

A superintendent once narrated a similar tragedy to us where a man used to perfom some magic. He had magical powers.

Everyday he entered into the streets and tried cutting his belly with sharp knifes. No knife could cut him open. People were giving him money and praising him.

But one day his charm failed him. He lacerated himself to death.

My aunt used to say to me, "If it was a snake it would have bit you."

I guess the snakes got tired of fooling with him....

Dee

My aunt used to say to me, "If it was a snake it would have bit you."

I guess the snakes got tired of fooling with him....

Dee
That's funny my uncle and a old girlfriend use to say that to me. But it was always for something that I could not find, and they would come right in and find it.

That's funny my uncle and a old girlfriend use to say that to me. But it was always for something that I could not find, and they would come right in and find it.

Yes, same here. I have always heard the expression used for stuff you can't find too! I guess this pastor found what he was looking for....

Blessings,
Dee

Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Serpents in this verse means a type of sly or cunning person like the snake in the Garden of Eden being Satan taking on the form of a snake.They shall come against the sly and cunning people to expose their evil ways is what this verse is saying. Anyone stupid enough to pick up a rattlesnake for the sake of Gods word, truly does not know Gods word on this as we should never tempt fate.

So he gets bit by timber rattlesnake, and goes home BEFORE going to the hospital?????? Unfortunately, Darwin wins this one. Sad , just sad :nono2

So he gets bit by timber rattlesnake, and goes home BEFORE going to the hospital?????? Unfortunately, Darwin wins this one. Sad , just sad :nono2

You know, if it wasn't such a horrible witness of the Lord and if he hadn't been so stupidly ignorant of the meaning of the text he lived and died for, I would sort of respect him for going home in "faith" that he would be healed.

...as it is... People, we need to read the bible with the goal of understanding what it means... not just run with what we've been taught or what bolsters our own opinions.

You know, if it wasn't such a horrible witness of the Lord and if he hadn't been so stupidly ignorant of the meaning of the text he lived and died for, I would sort of respect him for going home in "faith" that he would be healed.

...as it is... People, we need to read the bible with the goal of understanding what it means... not just run with what we've been taught or what bolsters our own opinions.
Or what bolsters our ego.

A lot of people in the charismatic movements strive to be the one with a lot of faith who does spectacular things for God.

What saved me from that mindset--aside from being very ungifted, lol--was what the Bible teaches is the manifestation of faith that matters and counts in the kingdom. And it ain't the faith that handles deadly snakes, or moves mountains, or knows and understands the deepest mysteries. :chin

You know, if it wasn't such a horrible witness of the Lord and if he hadn't been so stupidly ignorant of the meaning of the text he lived and died for...
It's amazing the power of what our parents believed can have in our lives. It's scary sometimes.

His father lived and died in the same belief.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back