Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Spear of Phineas & Worldliness

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Numbers 25:1-13 (KJV)
Phineas had a holy jealousy for the Lord when he stabbed an Israelite man & a Midianitish woman who were having sex outside of the limitations God gave the Israelites.

How might we apply the spear of Phineas today considering the church is currently involved in the doctrines of Balaam = Meaning the body of Christ has mixed & mashed itself in with worldliness. The Lord is angered about this and judgement begins in the house of God.

How might we exact the spear of Phineas in this age?

This is something me and my wife pray about for our children regularly. If I were to direct a spear at anything, it would be at the movies and music that seem to glorify casual hook-ups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this very subject of Balaam in the back of my mind when I was making a post yesterday, or was it this morning, talking about worldliness in the church (my days are melding together, lol).

While I understand the thrust of your post perfectly I'm not sure the ministry of Phineas continues through us in this covenant of grace. Maybe the more figurative application [MENTION=96494]Vaccine[/MENTION] has provided is more in line of one of the ways we should understand and apply it.

Numbers 25:1-13 (KJV)
Phineas had a holy jealousy for the Lord when he stabbed an Israelite man & a Midianitish woman who were having sex outside of the limitations God gave the Israelites.

How might we apply the spear of Phineas today considering the church is currently involved in the doctrines of Balaam = Meaning the body of Christ has mixed & mashed itself in with worldliness. The Lord is angered about this and judgement begins in the house of God.

How might we exact the spear of Phineas in this age?
[MENTION=96902]FloatingAxeHead[/MENTION]: By truly born again Christians cleaving to the Lord day by day in their worship and holy affections, and maintaining daily prayer before the Lord and feeding daily on His Word, and not neglecting fellowship with other likeminded Christians.

Blessings.

I had this very subject of Balaam in the back of my mind when I was making a post yesterday, or was it this morning, talking about worldliness in the church (my days are melding together, lol).
While I understand the thrust of your post perfectly I'm not sure the ministry of Phineas continues through us in this covenant of grace. Maybe the more figurative application @Vaccine has provided is more in line of one of the ways we should understand and apply it.
I believe the spear of Phineas today manifests itself in believers as loving what God loves and hating what God hates. Everything in the OT is a type & shadow for something in the NT era (this present age), so this is how I view the spear of Phineas, as a holy jealousy for the things of God.

This is something me and my wife pray about for our children regularly. If I were to direct a spear at anything, it would be at the movies and music that seem to glorify casual hook-ups

I am so glad I don't have children! I would go stark raving mad worrying about them in this regard. God bless u

By truly born again Christians cleaving to the Lord day by day in their worship and holy affections, and maintaining daily prayer before the Lord and feeding daily on His Word, and not neglecting fellowship with other likeminded Christians

Amen farouk, good stuff.

I look at so many of the believers of today.. my own parents and siblings have become so materialistic. There is no faith or communion with God, there is only chatter about social functions and who is who and which socially acceptable person will be there. Not long ago my parents were discussing what a sin it was for the neighbours to own a mansion and how they could use that money for the poor. I stood with my jaw hanging open for a little while before saying to them that maybe they could sell one of their THREE homes and give the money to the poor! (Yes my parents have 3 homes - a year round house, a house in Florida, and a summer cottage in Canada, yet they don't see that as excess.. so strange how blind people can be isn't it?)

I believe the spear of Phineas today manifests itself in believers as loving what God loves and hating what God hates. Everything in the OT is a type & shadow for something in the NT era (this present age), so this is how I view the spear of Phineas, as a holy jealousy for the things of God.
[MENTION=96902]FloatingAxeHead[/MENTION]:

Seems like a spiritually minded comment. Yes, it works by inward sanctification outwards, as the Lord's people in conscience separate themselves to Him, in peace and Christian liberty.

It's not by the arbitrary shibboleths of the personal preferences of legalists, imposed on others.

Blessings.

This is a great thread.
What we are talking about here are life long battles that continue from generation to generation.
And seeing now that we have the best of all weapons, the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives, we can and will win this battle.
Amen!

This is a great thread.
What we are talking about here are life long battles that continue from generation to generation.
And seeing now that we have the best of all weapons, the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives, we can and will win this battle.
Amen!
[MENTION=92945]allenwynne[/MENTION]:

... and 'the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God' (Ephesians 6.17).

Blessings.

What exactly do you guys mean by
involved in the doctrines of Balaam = Meaning the body of Christ has mixed & mashed itself in with worldliness.
?

I can see the worldliness in the world (movies and music), but where do I see it in my church? Or where do you see it in your church?

involved in the doctrines of Balaam = Meaning the body of Christ has mixed & mashed itself in with worldliness.
?

I can see the worldliness in the world (movies and music), but where do I see it in my church? Or where do you see it in your church?

The world came down on smoking and now the church does.
The world came down on drinking and now the church does.
The world plays hard rock music and now the church does.
Preachers of big churches are like rock stars, rich and famous and the churches love it.
The world says be patriotic and so the church is.

Just a few examples.

While I understand the thrust of your post perfectly I'm not sure the ministry of Phineas continues through us in this covenant of grace. Maybe the more figurative application @Vaccine has provided is more in line of one of the ways we should understand and apply it.
...And the putting of things to death within us, not the putting to death of people around us who are worldly and ungodly. I accept that application, and I'd be surprised if you did not.

?

The world came down on smoking and now the church does.
The world came down on drinking and now the church does.
The world plays hard rock music and now the church does.
Preachers of big churches are like rock stars, rich and famous and the churches love it.
The world says be patriotic and so the church is.

Just a few examples.

And let me add the world and it's preoccupation with image, and wealth, and status, and fame...and so goes the church.

(And yes, the emboldened part is for farouk. :lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
?

You being 1) young, and 2) in the European church, I'm guessing that's why you have not quickly perceived the worldliness and liberality of the present day church of Christ. You have to have seen where the church has come from to recognize the path it is taking. What are your thoughts about that?

[MENTION=96902]FloatingAxeHead[/MENTION]:

Seems like a spiritually minded comment. Yes, it works by inward sanctification outwards, as the Lord's people in conscience separate themselves to Him, in peace and Christian liberty.

It's not by the arbitrary shibboleths of the personal preferences of legalists, imposed on others.

Blessings.
Define 'legalist' for us so we can test the accuracy of your statement and know what point you're trying to make.

"Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry."
(Colossians 3:5 NIV)

Too many Christian folks water down the Word try to look like the world to 'play nice' mistakenly thinking that will build His Church...
It may build their church short term but not long term... Jesus said 'left me up and i will draw all men unto me.'..

The more like the world we look and act the weaker the church becomes... A scary thought but looking at history we see persecution build His Church. We are then forced to take a good look at our selfs... Those who take a STAND maybe die for it are stronger building blocks then the "o its ok what ever we do folks'

What can we do... Preach Jesus Christ ... Starting in the OT laying the foundation to who He really is... God is not some teddy bear kinda guy. enough rant...

"Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry."
(Colossians 3:5 NIV)

Very much in agreement. As [MENTION=96902]FloatingAxeHead[/MENTION] says in the OP, it's matter of keeping testimony in view. Blessings.

Too many Christian folks water down the Word try to look like the world to 'play nice' mistakenly thinking that will build His Church...
It may build their church short term but not long term... Jesus said 'left me up and i will draw all men unto me.'..

The more like the world we look and act the weaker the church becomes... A scary thought but looking at history we see persecution build His Church. We are then forced to take a good look at our selfs... Those who take a STAND maybe die for it are stronger building blocks then the "o its ok what ever we do folks'

What can we do... Preach Jesus Christ ... Starting in the OT laying the foundation to who He really is... God is not some teddy bear kinda guy. enough rant...

Indeed; very much in agreement also; good post. It's all about maintaining consistent testimony.

Blessings.

Back