Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The "Sugar-Coated" Gospel

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Pard

Now I am not very good at articulating a point of view, I am much better at defending it since then I can see where I need to put my efforts, but bear with me here! Hopefully I can do a decent job at making my point and then I think I can manage to defend it just fine.

---

The "sugar-coated" gospel is the Word covered in a veil of half-truths and sometimes even flat out lies. You cannot buy Christ's way into another's heart with stories of grandeur and illusion! You can lead Christ to the door but it is only by their own leap of faith, through proper understand, that Christ will ever enter.

Many tracts, TV shows, books, revivals, and sermons are swaying people into Christianity through un-Biblical means. These things promise the lost amazing plans that will make them truly happy and truly prosperous. Now, we as Christians know this stuff is true, but the difference is, we do not necessarily expect these great rewards while we walk in these physical bodies on earth. I do not devout myself to the Lord so that I may be wealthy on earth, for my wealth will rust away, and we "mature" Christians should know this. But those new Christians, the lost, they do not know this truth, they are stuck in the earthly world, a world of INSTANT gratification.

It is unfair for us to tell them they will be rewarded greatly as a means of bringing them to Christ. The ONLY way we should ever bring someone to Christ is through the Law and exposing their sins unto God. When they really, truly know how great a sinner they are before the Lord they will willingly seek the forgiveness that only Christ can give them! This is the ONLY means to bringing a pagan before Jesus, any other way is trickery.

Imagine for a moment how insulted you'd be if you didn't know anything about Christ beyond the propaganda peddled to you about those "loony" Christians. All of a sudden some guy comes up to you and says "Good day. Did you know Jesus died for your sins so that you may live?" First you'd be startled and then you'd be insulted! "MY SINS?! I am no sinner! I am a GOOOOOOOD person!"

The secular world LOVES the word "good". Why? Because it is SO subjective! "Good" can mean anything to anyone! That inmate has been "good" since he got locked up for rape. And compared to the rapist the school teacher is "good", even though he exchanges good grades for sexual favors. And compared to that teacher the stock broker is "good", even though he lied to get a client to sell.

Everyone is "good" when compared to someone else. So why would a person who has only experienced Christ through the media understand you when you tell him Christ Jesus died for his sins? He wouldn't!

You cannot build a house without a foundation. Likewise, you cannot start someone down the road to Christ without a primer in the Law! But why the Law? Well jeez, what do we know? "We know that the law is good if one uses it properly" (1 Tim 1:8 NIV). OK, so we use it properly and it's good to go. Well, what is the proper use of the gospel? "We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious" (1 Tim 1:9 NIV). OK now that makes it slightly more clear, I guess. The Law is to be used for the sinners of the world, not the righteous (see: saved). Well, what would a sinner want with the law?

I can only see one answer to that question! The Law is to set a proper foundation for the receiving of Christ! Once a person if made aware of their sin they can truly understand Christ and will be willing to meet and accept Him!

Yeah, great plans for the future and immense wealth are all well and fine and true, but without a proper understanding and a foundation in the Law they mean nothing! And the truth of Christ will only be seen as insulting unless a foundation in the Law is first established.

OK, I'm done.

The ONLY way we should ever bring someone to Christ is through the Law and exposing their sins unto God. When they really, truly know how great a sinner they are before the Lord they will willingly seek the forgiveness that only Christ can give them! This is the ONLY means to bringing a pagan before Jesus, any other way is trickery.

I have to disagree .....

John 4:48
“Unless you people see signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.”

Acts 14:3
So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to perform signs and wonders.

Acts 14:27
On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles.

Jesus and His disciples went about performing miracles, signs and wonders and many believed and converted as a result.

Exposing sins is not the only way to lead a pagan to Christ. Exposing him to miracles, signs and wonders through the power of God is another awesome way.

I don't really blame you for thinking otherwise, perhaps your churches in the US or UK hardly or never get to see pastors and even lay Christians performing miracles.

These things are commonly happening in regions like Asia and Africa. When unsaved people are desperate and in need of healing or other miracles, they are not interested in believers shoving the gospel down their throats, what they're interested in is having their basic needs met even if it takes miracles. :salute

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Pard
The ONLY way we should ever bring someone to Christ is through the Law and exposing their sins unto God. When they really, truly know how great a sinner they are before the Lord they will willingly seek the forgiveness that only Christ can give them! This is the ONLY means to bringing a pagan before Jesus, any other way is trickery.

I half agree! The law convicts...but it a new life in Christ that should be offered...not just forgiveness. God doesn't just want to improve our lives....but as we forsake our lives, He gives us new ones in Christ. We are to forsake the old and embrace the new. We are not just preaching a forgiveness for living in the old ways.

In areas where God should be well known, signs and wonders can often be a rebuke. In areas of great need, signs and wonders are a welcome affirmation that God does indeed love them.

Here in America, where most folks have a working understanding of the gospel and more than a little greed and materialism...seeking yet more signs and wonders should bring a stinging rebuke. Pard's point of the church promising folks a cushy life and wealth... as if God were some genie in a lamp... is well heeded.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, Tina. I can most certainly understand God working in a different way in a different area of need. But, I understand and agree with Pard's post here. Adullam's point is a very good one as well!

Perhaps it is my somewhat cynical outlook on my brethren here in America, that I think if we preached a gospel of "deny yourself and take up your cross daily" most would leave the church in droves. But... a good part of the reason why so many Americans that warm so many pews any given Sunday are like this go right back to the "sugar-coated gospel" they accepted in the first place.

Jude 1

[21] Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.:study (and yes, verse 22 will follow shortly)

OK: That is for us, right? OK, agreed??
Just before Christ came the first time, HIS HOUSE was in shambles. Matt. 23:15 had EVANGELISM LAYED ASIDE while Christ sent His 'ones' back to the [[Lost Sheep of His OWN HOUSE!]] Matt. 10:5-6 & then note verse 15!

Rough stuff? most of the today ones would say so? But who even hears this from the pulpit?? GOOD, huh?? UNITY IS THE CRY! LOVE LOVE LOVE! (Numbers 16:2-3) but what is Agape Love?? Is it Noise, + Much Excitement?? Or a moral Loving [[PRINCIPLE?]]

And do not some churchs & TV stuff sound like it comes out of the JUNGLES of Babylon?? (er' Africa) Zapped with a 's'pirit!??:sad

Regardless, we find just two ways that God has to reach his creation. Sure, there are thousands of ways for each of the two that He reaches them, yet in the END of the matter, it comes up to just two bottom line ways! And when we come to Matt. 24:21 we see that the first way had already been mostly exhausted.. that of the one method of compassion. And now again we find TRUE LOVE STILL BEING THE MOTIVE, yet, in a different way. (even find in Isa. 5:3-8 the same first History of Ecc. 3:15)

[22] And of some have compassion, making a difference:
[23] And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Pay attention now? God cares very little about why a person surrenders his 'will' over to Him, but just that they will do so! It is then & only then that the heart can be recreated! (with a Loving MOTIVE! Acts 5:32)

--Elijah

I don't know.....I was not looking for God when he found me, but since then I see miracles, signs and wonders every day. Maybe not the kind others think about.

Just waking up, seeing a sunrise or set, watching the flowers pop-open, seeing my children born; if these aren't miracles, signs and wonders then nothing is; but the fact that He found me, and made me into a follower without the help of the church is miracle enough for me, to take an unbeliever give him measure of faith and watch it grow is a God handed miracle and wonder.

Don't get me wrong, I love the church and I'm thankful to be a member of the body we call the church, but I also think the church sometimes thinks too highly of what it thinks it does, or can do, or is doing in the world today.

Just as a gardener looks upon his garden with pride on what he's accomplished, he'd do well to remember that all the plants and flowers he raised also grow with or without his effort, and who should get the glory for that?

There is an old saying; "The church is a whore, but she is my mother."

I have to disagree .....

“Unless you people see signs and wonders,†Jesus told him, “you will never believe.â€

So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to perform signs and wonders.

On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles.

Jesus and His disciples went about performing miracles, signs and wonders and many believed and converted as a result.

Exposing sins is not the only way to lead a pagan to Christ. Exposing him to miracles, signs and wonders through the power of God is another awesome way.

I don't really blame you for thinking otherwise, perhaps your churches in the US or UK hardly or never get to see pastors and even lay Christians performing miracles.

These things are commonly happening in regions like Asia and Africa. When unsaved people are desperate and in need of healing or other miracles, they are not interested in believers shoving the gospel down their throats, what they're interested in is having their basic needs met even if it takes miracles. :salute

"It is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13 Apparently Pard is more in agreement with Paul than you prehaps are.

You cannot build a house without a foundation. Likewise, you cannot start someone down the road to Christ without a primer in the Law! But why the Law? Well jeez, what do we know? "We know that the law is good if one uses it properly" (1 Tim 1:8 NIV). OK, so we use it properly and it's good to go. Well, what is the proper use of the gospel? "We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious" (1 Tim 1:9 NIV). OK now that makes it slightly more clear, I guess. The Law is to be used for the sinners of the world, not the righteous (see: saved). Well, what would a sinner want with the law?

:thumbsup

:thumbsup
I read your post, Hitch, and was like "Jeez, Hitch talks the same way I do!" And then it occurred to me that you were just quoting what I'd said!

I have to disagree .....

Going to have to agree with the scripture you quoted and disagree with your interpretation of it.

Miracles are fine and dandy, but if all you do is pull rabbits out of a hat then no one will come for Christ, they'll just come for the show! Miracles have a place, and they do happen in America.

So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who [/B]confirmed the message of his grace by [/B]enabling them to perform signs and wonders.

Miracles are a CONFIRMATION of ones existing belief in Jesus Christ. It's like the "Hey, that was AMAZING! I guess this stuff is for real after all." It isn't a way to evangelize, it's a way to confirm. If you only evangelize with miracles than people will fall down the exact same path as evangelism through "plans", "gifts", and "riches".

Just a side note, I realize that the scripture quoted doesn't exactly say that miracles are a confirmation, but it isn't exactly saying her way either.

“Unless you people see signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.”

It's very true as well. But it again reinforces the idea of confirming faith by miracles, not creating new followers of Christ through miracles.

Not sure how this says anything regarding out current topic. This is more about God turning Christ upon the gentiles so that both Jew and Greek could believe on Christ and be saved.

Adul,

Hitch just sent me a very awesome message and it speaks on your concern. If you'd like I can forward that to you.

Danus,

I too came upon Christ through my own dissatisfaction with what I, at that time, knew to be the truth. I found severe fault with science and geology and the concept of creation that was held by the scientific community. This, compounded with my natural acknowledgement of God's existence (read Romans 1, 18 and onward) led me to the Bible. This appealed to me because a) I used to go to church, b) my grandparents are Christian, and c) I always liked Christians.

Now I was led to Christ through my own means, but it was only through my understanding of what I'd done in life and what I needed to be made whole that I was able to open that door and allow Jesus into my heart.

Jesus said, "“It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance†(Luke 5:31-32).

How can people respond to that call if they don't know they are sinners and that they are not righteous? Using the law (commandments) to bring the knowledge of sin brings people face to face with the truth about themselves: that they are in serious trouble with God. Omit that and we give them no reason to come to Christ. Is that love?

Miracles are a CONFIRMATION of ones existing belief in Jesus Christ.
Just a side note, I realize that the scripture quoted doesn't exactly say that miracles are a confirmation, but it isn't exactly saying her way either.
It's very true as well. But it again reinforces the idea of confirming faith by miracles, not creating new followers of Christ through miracles.

I have to disagree with you again ....

The same scriptures taken in expanded context reads like this...

John 4:46-53

Once more he visited Cana in Galilee, where he had turned the water into wine. And there was a certain royal official whose son lay sick at Capernaum. When this man heard that Jesus had arrived in Galilee from Judea, he went to him and begged him to come and heal his son, who was close to death. “Unless you people see signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.” The royal official said, “Sir, come down before my child dies.” “Go,” Jesus replied, “your son will live.” The man took Jesus at his word and departed. While he was still on the way, his servants met him with the news that his boy was living. When he inquired as to the time when his son got better, they said to him, “Yesterday, at one in the afternoon, the fever left him.” Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, “Your son will live.” So he and his whole household believed.

Note that he and his household only believed after Jesus performed the healing miracle.

This is what I meant by "desperate situation". Do you think preaching the gospel at this time would have helped save this family ?

We have MUSLIMS coming to our church desperate for healing because no doctor, no amount of medication and treatment and no Islamic prayers could heal them. News about how people are miraculously getting healed in churches spread like wildfire, so they come against all odds ...

God is faithful. They get healed and they eventually come to believe because they saw what God did through believers... They did not believe by hearing the gospel, which they already knew and rejected before....

And I still don't see how what you said is a problem. Jesus is knocking at the door and the miracles make them take notice of the knocking. It still takes a foundation and understanding of the sin one lives in and then a realization of the sacrifice of Christ for one to become a Christian... If they don't take that step then they will fall away, no matter how many blind people are given sight.

The issue which is being addressed here is the fact that today, in America, the vast majority of people are led to believe in some awesome plan with huge bank accounts waiting for them.

Perhaps the problem you faced when reading this thread is that it just doesn't apply to where you live?

Some folks will respond to the sugar coated gospel

Some folks need the 2by 4 gospel

Reading the Scriptures we can plainly see God, His Word the whole shebang. Like a beautiful diamond has more then one facet.

Perhaps the problem you faced when reading this thread is that it just doesn't apply to where you live?

Good point Pard... Those of us in the USA have been coddled way to long....We are soft and ripe for being taken advantage of.... We have no idea, zero idea, of what Christians in China, and many other places face daily.

Of course it does apply where I live and I did not misunderstood your message at all, neither did I disagreed with your overall message, just this part ....

This is the ONLY means to bringing a pagan before Jesus, any other way is trickery.

Of course having received whatever healing and miracles the pagan desired, he still needed to hear the REAL gospel in order to obtain salvation. Miracles, signs and wonders alone are not going to get anyone salvation.

But evangelism tools very much also depends on which group of people we are reaching out to. I thought "pagans" are idol worshippers. It didn't occur to me that you were referring to those led to believe in "huge bank account" false gospels. Is that what "vast majority of Americans" really believe ?

We have MANY American pastors flying down to preach in our churches, and I have NEVER heard them preach any such sugar-coated "huge bank account" gospel ! :shrug

What the OP is getting at is the preponderance of man-centered teaching concerning the bible. You just add Jesus to your list of acquisitions..and presto...eternal life.

Well, the vast majority of Americans don't go to church, so it's hard to actually figure out what it is they believe, but this is one of the predominate evangelistic styles here. You can turn on the TV and see it every day. Around me it is a major view.

Now that I see where you are getting hung up, perhaps I worded it wrong. I meant to say that it is the only way to enter into the Kingdom, and that is what I meant when I said "before Jesus". "Pagans" is an easy one, they are anyone who isn't Christian in the true sense of the word.

Ephesians 2

1 And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, 2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. 3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest. 4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Ephesians 2

1 And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, 2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. 3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest. 4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

N:

Great verses; it would be good if a few more preachers read them before opening their mouths.

Back