Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Sunday Law Edict Of March 7, 321 A.D.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
stranger said:
Hi Vic,

Your proposed table would be:

Wed. . . Christ died about 4.00pm. . . buried (night 1)
Thurs. . Day 1. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (night 2)
Fri. . . Day 2. . . . . . . . . .. . . . .. . .. .. . .(night 3)
Sat. . . Day 3 . . . rose 'just before sunset'

I don't know what arguments have been brought against this. But yes,
this would be three full days and nights. If our Lord was buried at 6.00pm
and rose at 6.00pm - it would satisfy the belief that the resurrection occurred on the first day of the week - if only just.

I will be interested in what others think. Also Vic is the above table what you had in mind?

In Christ: stranger

Actually the above reckoning brings us to a Sabbath resurrection if it occurred Saturday just before sunset. Remember, the new day began at sunset. Also remember that the Christian 'Sabbath' of Sunday hinges on the notion that Jesus rose on the first day. Did He or didn't He?

Hi stranger, I am glad you took the time to read some or all of Lewis' thread. I hope you read it all. hehehe Anyway, so I don't disrail this thread any longer, I will respond in the link I posted above.

Peace

SputnikBoy said:
Actually the above reckoning brings us to a Sabbath resurrection if it occurred Saturday just before sunset. Remember, the new day began at sunset. Also remember that the Christian 'Sabbath' of Sunday hinges on the notion that Jesus rose on the first day. Did He or didn't He?

Hi,
If the resurrection occurred after sunset it brings us to the first day of the week - a point I tried to make in the previous post - and the scriptural evidence:

John20:1 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came early to the tomb. . .

Like24:1 But on the first day of the week , at early dawn, they came to the tomb. . .

Mark16:2, . . . Mary came to the tomb first day of the week, and

Matt 28:1 Now late on the Sabbath as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week. . .

It is an 'interpolation' that Jesus rose on the Sabbath before the first day of the week began.

It is equally an 'interpolation' that Jesus rose on the first day of the week.

I think because of the textual evidence I am still inclined to believe that the resurrection occurred very early on the first day of the week. An empty tomb in either case can be cited. Which brings us back to the Sabbath on Saturday - which I know you hold to and with which I am in agreement, and the first day of the week being the Lord's day - a separate issue entirely.

In Christ: stranger

Back