Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Theists and atheists ( P.S.)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
True science begins with questions and not answers.

Fundamental questions that can by definition never be measured are not part of science. Does God exist? Science can neither affirm nor deny and can not take a position on the matter.

Cultural relativism is an anthropological approach which posit that all cultures are of equal value and need to be studied from a neutral point of view. Science must eschew ethnocentrism (the tendancy to believe that ones own group or set of beliefs is superior and the tendency to judge others as inferior). Theist and atheistic ethnocentrism does not belong in science.
thus why i dont believe in studies of the origins of all that is at times.but rather study what is. and how it works.

From the link in the OP:

If, indeed, the Internet discussions are "conflicts" between "aggressive combatants" then it would be easy to answer the first question in the affirmative.

But if we tone down the emotional language, those conflicts between aggressive combatants could also be described as "debates between participants with firmly held opinions" and I can think of no reason why it would be desirable to end them. Many people (including me) find them both interesting and stimulating.

I also think that debate can be very useful. What is not useful are "futile debates." Futile debates are situations in which methodology of refutation is not used properly. Scientists should not refute theologian's claims about spiritual world (such as God'd existence) by using scientific methodology--by performing laboratory experiments. And theologists should not refute scientist's claims about material world (such as the age of earth) by theologist's methodology--showing that billions of years conflict with the Bible. Such futile debates are not useful, in my opinion.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
Professor Emeritus
Montclair State university, NJ, USA

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back