Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Theory of Evolution crash course/Q&A

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Milk-Drops

I have had the pleasure of having discussion with many different people on this board, and thought I'd share some thoughts as to why the whole theory of evolution debate keeps going ever onward. I think its because the topic of the theory of Evolution is so bogged down with misinformation and confusion, that its becomes very hard to follow or understand in the context of Biology. There is a ton of misinformation floating around about the topic, that I felt the need to make a topic that can answer some common questions as to what the theory of evolution is.

The Theory of Evolution

The theory of evolution is the observation that organism adapt and change to their surroundings through selection pressures from one generation to the next. Those that don't adapt die and go extinct. That is about it. The theory is pretty much a well duh. What makes the theory so useful and revolutionary is not that it states that organisms adapt, but explains how they are able to adapt. Trough years of observation, Charles Darwin noticed and created the first selection pressure that became the foundation of his theory, Natural Selection.

Natural Selection

Natural selection is the mechanism Darwin named in his book "The Origin of Species". Natural selection is basically the observed concept that as long as organism are capable of surviving to procreate, they are considered fit for their environment. Those that don't survive in their ecosystems go extinct. Now natural selection is there to weed out mutations that causes noticable hindrance to an organism. However, neutral mutations and minor damaging mutations can pass from generation to the next and won't be weeded out unless something in the environment changes.

Mutations

Mutations are changes in genetic information that causes differences from each generations. Most mutations are neutral and are observable from generation to the next. Such as height, body proportion, hair color, eye color, facial features, muscle density, etc. basicly all a mutation is, is slightly changing the build or function of an organisms. For Instance we can look at breeds of dogs. We see various aspects of mutations because dogs have multiple fur patterns, colors, eye colors, body types, muscle density, endurance, health problems, jaw strength, etc. do to the specific needs of each breed, the mutations become specific to that breed.

Specieation

Specieation is where biologists draw a line in the genetic boundaries of organisms. Usually this is done when a breaded line can no longer breed with the corresponding lines, but there are exceptions of course. Organisms that share very similar and close genetic similarities can occasionally breed. Examples are Mules and Ligers which are hybrids of Horse/donkey and Lion/Tiger.

Species is a term that is from a long list of terms used in taxonomy and phylogenetic to classify organisms. The order of classification terms are Life, Domain, Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species, and sub-Species.

Anyone have any questions that they want addressed. Such as different selection pressures, what defines the difference between the taxonomical ranks, etc? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have some questions.
1. Why are we more intelligent than monkeys (their forefathers)
2. Why haven't man evolved into some kind of better 'man' (one that can maybe move a km/sec)
3. Seems everything tends to deterioration (kinda) why do we look more man than 'det'?:biggrin:biggrin

Why are we more intelligent than monkeys (their forefathers)

Bigger brains. And bipedalism which took advantage of it.

2. Why haven't man evolved into some kind of better 'man' (one that can maybe move a km/sec)

We seem to have evolved into better fitness. Our feet, while quite like that of our distant ancestors, are better fitted for running, although not as fit for climbing. (Australopithecines had slightly curved digits even on their toes, that made climbing easier)

And our hands have a bit of reworking that allow a better precision grip than Australopithecines. And the lower back and hip are slightly remodeled to allow more efficient bipediality.

The real area of improvement is the skull, which has a larger brain, a more directly repositioned larynx (allowing more sophisticated speech) and smaller jaws, which likely made possible a greater growth of cranium.

Stuff like that. No X-man things, but evolution doesn't work that way.

3. Seems everything tends to deterioration (kinda)

Paleontology suggests things got more complex and interesting over time.

why do we look more man than 'det'?

Random mutation and natural selection. It's demonstrated to increase fitness over time.

Wow! Interesting replies.

About bigger brains...hehe (if my brain is bigger than that of my sister I would be more intelligent than my sister? Since not all human brains have exactly the same size...how come one of my friends whose head is as small as an egg [I'm not just talking about the size of the skull...this guy's head needs viewing microscope ...and definitely his brain is infinitesimally minute] is such a brilliant fellow? I have known children who are more intelligent than adults with bigger brain. Also, one of my neighbors' sons....gracious goodness, his head is many times the size of a normal human head. He's not mutated at all...however he doesn't know his fingers from his toes. 1 1, and he'd tell you the answer is biscuit. What makes him dull?

Why does intelligence vary in humans? Size of brain?
Why can't our size of brain not help us successfully and readily beat all other creatures. At times those tiny creatures and other animals (whose brain size is smaller than a bean seed) do clever things against us that man can't even comprehend. :biggrinunno :shrug :confused

again, is man really evolving?

Yes, I have some questions.
Horray :biggrin
1. Why are we more intelligent than monkeys (their forefathers)
Barbarian already touched on this, but I'll add more to this. I believe its from an enlarged hypothalamus. This allows for more accurate cognitive thinking, language, and writing. It is actually due to written word that we as humans were able to get to where we are today. That and our ability to create tools and cooperate in large groups.
Actually, evolution happens in populations, so with us humans, we do see spurts of genetic advances in areas such as HIV immunity in certain Scandinavian families and African families. There is also a family in germany that has hyper dense bones. An italian family that has high resistance to bad cholesterol, etc. One of the key things to note is that due to vaccines, advanced medical treatment, and our large overal population, we humans have really slowed down evolution. Though a disease or catastrophic event could change that.
3. Seems everything tends to deterioration (kinda) why do we look more man than 'det'?:biggrin:biggrin
Deterioration happens when a gene pool becomes isolated and massive amounts of inbreeding happens. This is because minor mutations that have been buried that cause harm have greater chances of becoming active due to the reduced population size.

About bigger brains...hehe (if my brain is bigger than that of my sister I would be more intelligent than my sister? Since not all human brains have exactly the same size...how come one of my friends whose head is as small as an egg [I'm not just talking about the size of the skull...this guy's head needs viewing microscope ...and definitely his brain is infinitesimally minute] is such a brilliant fellow? I have known children who are more intelligent than adults with bigger brain. Also, one of my neighbors' sons....gracious goodness, his head is many times the size of a normal human head. He's not mutated at all...however he doesn't know his fingers from his toes. 1 1, and he'd tell you the answer is biscuit. What makes him dull?
Without being able to examine and run test, there could be a number of reasons of why aspects of these people's intelligence may vary. There is also a note of epigenetics. Basically someone can carry the potential of activating specific genes, but they can be suppressed due to trauma, diet, exercise, or a variation of factors.

See above. :)
Why can't our size of brain not help us successfully and readily beat all other creatures.
Because human strength and adaptation that gave us an edge is our ability to make tools, form larege groups, and multi task. Get one of us alone with a tiger and that goes out the window for survival. So we as a species have found other ways around this through group hunting and building guns or weapons.
At times those tiny creatures and other animals (whose brain size is smaller than a bean seed) do clever things against us that man can't even comprehend. :biggrinunno :shrug :confused
Well, there are aspects to adaptation that humans didn't have to go through to get where we are today.

Yes, we have conqured many diseases, diversified our gene pool with tons of varying characteristics, and adapted pretty well to our environment and still do so to this day. :)

Why can't our size of brain not help us successfully and readily beat all other creatures. At times those tiny creatures and other animals (whose brain size is smaller than a bean seed) do clever things against us that man can't even comprehend. :biggrinunno :shrug :confused

I think there is evidence in science that man is evolving, to include Social Science, (an evolution from solitary to social animals), and paleontology, (in the 22 now extinct humans in our line of ascent), and in the Christian teaching that tend to support a drive towards becoming cooperative social animals living together in "hives" of nations and cultures all working towards the better life for the generation of the future.

We the effects of evolution as Cave men have gradually come together in this Information Age where collectively, their technical abilities and strengths are powerfully blended and interwoven into one united Human Force that has and will continue to improve our lives, those of future generations, and teach us how to attain life ever lasting for our species by Adapting to the ever changing almighty Environment we call "Existence."

Some have said man keeps evolving... and have given some examples. Would it be justified to call them new species?:biggrinunno :shrug :confused. And people who don't have that resistance are gonna die off?:confused

Without being able to examine and run test, there could be a number of reasons of why aspects of these people's intelligence may vary. There is also a note of epigenetics. Basically someone can carry the potential of activating specific genes, but they can be suppressed due to trauma, diet, exercise, or a variation of factors.

In addition to the things already mentioned the intelligence of people depends a lot on the interconnection between brain cells. Those connections exist due to learning and excercise. Our brain adapts enormously during our whole life span, usually by forming new cell connections (and letting old unused ones die - thus you forget stuff you don't exercise and practice. That's what happened to my French language skills. :sad) So no matter the size of a brain, an individual spending his life in front of their TV will cause less brain cell connections to form than someone learning and studying various things.
Intelligence is not only the result of our genes but also the result of our behaviour.

But there is in fact a small correlation between brain size and IQ. A small correlation means that there are still many small brained clever people and huge brained dumbos.

But considering the comparison between our ape ancestors and us even those humans those not so bright humans are way ahead of our closest relatives within the animal realm. So the variance of intelligence within the human race is small compared to the difference between us and chimps.

Some have said man keeps evolving... and have given some examples. Would it be justified to call them new species?:biggrinunno :shrug :confused. And people who don't have that resistance are gonna die off?:confused
To answer the brain size question. Yes, biologists have measured and compared the brain size of our ancestors and us.

Also, as I already mentioned, a new species is usually named when a group can no longer have offspring with the father species. In humans. We tend to interact with each other to often to allow enough isolation for this to happen.

I have never seen a half-man-half-chimp creature...
You actually wouldn't. Unless you also wanted to see a third Neanderthal in there as well. Humans developed in the African planes, chimps and bonobos where more adept to forest and jungle survival, and Neanderthal spread out over northern Africa and Europe. There are a few specifies found that are our closest relatives, but they are still being examined. :)

I have had the pleasure of having discussion with many different people on this board, and thought I'd share some thoughts as to why the whole theory of evolution debate keeps going ever onward. I think its because the topic of the theory of Evolution is so bogged down with misinformation and confusion, that its becomes very hard to follow or understand in the context of Biology. There is a ton of misinformation floating around about the topic, that I felt the need to make a topic that can answer some common questions as to what the theory of evolution is.

The Theory of Evolution

The theory of evolution is the observation that organism adapt and change to their surroundings through selection pressures from one generation to the next. Those that don't adapt die and go extinct. That is about it. The theory is pretty much a well duh. What makes the theory so useful and revolutionary is not that it states that organisms adapt, but explains how they are able to adapt. Trough years of observation, Charles Darwin noticed and created the first selection pressure that became the foundation of his theory, Natural Selection.

Natural Selection

Natural selection is the mechanism Darwin named in his book "The Origin of Species". Natural selection is basically the observed concept that as long as organism are capable of surviving to procreate, they are considered fit for their environment. Those that don't survive in their ecosystems go extinct. Now natural selection is there to weed out mutations that causes noticable hindrance to an organism. However, neutral mutations and minor damaging mutations can pass from generation to the next and won't be weeded out unless something in the environment changes.

Mutations

Mutations are changes in genetic information that causes differences from each generations. Most mutations are neutral and are observable from generation to the next. Such as height, body proportion, hair color, eye color, facial features, muscle density, etc. basicly all a mutation is, is slightly changing the build or function of an organisms. For Instance we can look at breeds of dogs. We see various aspects of mutations because dogs have multiple fur patterns, colors, eye colors, body types, muscle density, endurance, health problems, jaw strength, etc. do to the specific needs of each breed, the mutations become specific to that breed.

Specieation

Specieation is where biologists draw a line in the genetic boundaries of organisms. Usually this is done when a breaded line can no longer breed with the corresponding lines, but there are exceptions of course. Organisms that share very similar and close genetic similarities can occasionally breed. Examples are Mules and Ligers which are hybrids of Horse/donkey and Lion/Tiger.

Species is a term that is from a long list of terms used in taxonomy and phylogenetic to classify organisms. The order of classification terms are Life, Domain, Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species, and sub-Species.

Anyone have any questions that they want addressed. Such as different selection pressures, what defines the difference between the taxonomical ranks, etc? :)

The theory of evolution is a religion in every sense of the word, it is humanism. It seeks to answer the four great questions of life by EXCLUDING God, period, end of story. Christianity is creation. Evolution and Christianity are bi-polar opposites they have nothing in common. Your blatent bait and switch on using evolution as a whole then swithing to micro evolution to sell it is a joke. If you came to a christian forum to honestly seek God and have questions about christianity answered then welcome. But if you came here to infect beleivers with poison then the Lord rebuke you.

It seeks to answer the four great questions of life by EXCLUDING God, period, end of story.

Nope. Biology and the theory of evolution make no statement about the existence and nature of God. It's just not part of their subject. As evolutionary biologist you are free to believe in God or not to believe in Him.

I like evolutionary stuff, especially Natural selection thing. I like the science fiction involved:chin

I love Lamarck (tho he was right and was totally lashed by enemies).

To say it for all my colleagues and for the umpteenth million time (from college bull sessions to learned treatises): science simply cannot (by its legitimate methods) adjudicate the issue of God's possible superintendence of nature. We neither affirm nor deny it; we simply can't comment on it as scientists

Darwin himself was agnostic (having lost his religious beliefs upon the tragic death of his favorite daughter), but the great American botanist Asa Gray, who favored natural selection and wrote a book entitled Darwiniana, was a devout Christian. Move forward 50 years: Charles D. Walcott, discoverer of the Burgess Shale fossils, was a convinced Darwinian and an equally firm Christian, who believed that God had ordained natural selection to construct a history of life according to His plans and purposes. Move on another 50 years to the two greatest evolutionists of our generation: G. G. Simpson was a humanist agnostic. Theodosius Dobzhansky a believing Russian Orthodox. Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of Darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs—and equally compatible with atheism, thus proving that the two great realms of nature's factuality and the source of human morality do not strongly overlap.

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/reviews/gould_darwin-on-trial.html

As has been stated, this thread is about evolution not evolutionism.

:topictotopic

ChristianForums.net aspires to provide a place where Christians can come together in fellowship for encouragement, inspiration, and strength to help build each other up and grow in our walk of faith through honest and open discussion, study, reflection, and prayer.

ChristianForums.net desires to serve non-Christians, seeking answers to questions about Christianity, by sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ so they too may acquire the hope, joy, and peace that come from fellowship with the saving grace of our Lord, Jesus Christ.​

:bump

The Theory of Evolution

Natural Selection

Mutations

Specieation

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back