Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

researcher

Mat 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples,
Mat 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you,
There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mat 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
Mat 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Mat 10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee into the next: for verily I say unto you,
Ye shall not have gone through the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

True? Not true? Happened? Didn't happen?

Comments?

researcher said:
Mat 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mat 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
Mat 10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee into the next: for verily I say unto you,
Ye shall not have gone through the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

Comments?

Where does Jesus say that we will find the kingdom of God?

Lu:17:20: And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Lu:17:21: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

There is the kingdom. It's inside of us. And the Holy Ghost and Jesus are one and the same.

Does that make sense to anyone else but me?

ProphetMark said:
Matthew 16 v 28 seems to be not true.
Why does God make it so hard for us to believe in him? :confused

Is it God that makes it "so hard", or is it "us" that complicates things and wants to believe on our terms first?

ronniechoate34 said:
researcher said:

Comments?

Where does Jesus say that we will find the kingdom of God?

It is inside of you. It is also a place, (Mar 14:25, Luk 13:28, Luk 22:30, Luk 23:42, Luk 23:43, Joh 18:36).

At any rate, unless the "kingdom of God" you are talking about came 20 years after Jesus' death, it's not the same thing.

Notice the Jesus said the disciples would be a testimony to the Gentiles. They didn't go to the Gentiles for a long time after Pentecost (the coming of the kingdom of God). Also notice that the disciples will have already had the "kingdom of God" in them "before" Jesus comes in his kingdom (Mat 10:20).

Mat 10:18 And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.
Mat 10:19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.
Mat 10:20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.
Mat 10:21 And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.
Mat 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
Mat 10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

researcher said:

Comments?

In Matthew 17, three did witness the Son coming into his Kingdom.

Menno said:
researcher said:

Comments?

In Matthew 17, three did witness the Son coming into his Kingdom.

I had forgotten that. Thanks for reminding me.

M'r:9:1: And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
M'r:9:2: And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.
M'r:9:3: And his raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can white them.
M'r:9:4: And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus.
M'r:9:5: And Peter answered and said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
M'r:9:6: For he wist not what to say; for they were sore afraid.
M'r:9:7: And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.
M'r:9:8: And suddenly, when they had looked round about, they saw no man any more, save Jesus only with themselves.

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Mat 24:30 And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the heavens.

And then all the tribes of the land will wail.

And they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and much glory.

Mat 24:31

And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Mat 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
Mat 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you,

This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Luk 17:25 But first must he suffer many things and be rejected of this generation.

Mat 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

This lines up with what he told the disciples also. :\

Comments?

ronniechoate34 said:
Lu:17:20: And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Lu:17:21: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

There is the kingdom. It's inside of us. And the Holy Ghost and Jesus are one and the same.

Does that make sense to anyone else but me?
I can understand why you might think this, but please consider the following:

Some assert that a brief of teaching in Luke 17, particularly verse 21, locate the kingdom of God as “inside†the believer, with the implication that the broader world does not fall under its jurisdiction. Here are several translations of verse 21:

NET: nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is in your midst.â€

NIV: nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is within you."

NASB: nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’ For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst."

NLT: You won’t be able to say, ‘Here it is!’ or ‘It’s over there!’ For the Kingdom of God is among you."

MSG:Nor when someone says, 'Look here!' or, 'There it is!' And why? Because God's kingdom is already among you."

BBE: And men will not say, See, it is here! or, There! for the kingdom of God is among you.

NRSV: nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There it is!’ For, in fact, the kingdom of God is among you."

NKJV: "nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you."

Note how only 2 of these 8 translations render the last bit as “within youâ€. All the other translations have Jesus telling the listeners that the Kingdom is “in your midst†or “among you†– suggesting, of course, that the kingdom is “present right nowâ€.

And the fatal blow to the “within you†interpretation arises from who Jesus is speaking to:

Now at one point the Pharisees asked Jesus when the kingdom of God was coming, so he answered, “The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed

If Jesus is saying that the “location†of the kingdom is specifically “within the human personâ€, Jesus is telling the Pharisees that the kingdom of God is within them, the Pharisees, in this sense.

Not likely, of course – the Pharisees were precisely the ones in whom the kingdom was not present.

researcher said:
Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Mat 24:30 And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the heavens.

And then all the tribes of the land will wail.

And they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and much glory.

Mat 24:31

And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Mat 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
Mat 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you,

This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Luk 17:25 But first must he suffer many things and be rejected of this generation.

Mat 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

This lines up with what he told the disciples also. :\

Comments?

I think that Jesus means THIS generation. Looking ahead, Jesus was speaking about the last generation and not about the people that He was addressing. He obviously knew that it would not happen in their lifetime, even if He didn't know the day or the hour.

I think that Jesus means THIS generation.

Actually, that doesn't jibe with what the disciples believed...

2Ti 4:1 I do fully testify, then, before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who is about to judge living and dead at his manifestation and his reign--

Jas 5:8 Be ye also patient; establish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord is at hand.

1Pe 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore of sound mind, and be sober unto prayer:

Heb 10:37 For yet a very little while, He that cometh shall come, and shall not tarry.

researcher said:
I think that Jesus means THIS generation.

Actually, that doesn't jibe with what the disciples believed...

2Ti 4:1 I do fully testify, then, before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who is about to judge living and dead at his manifestation and his reign--

Jas 5:8 Be ye also patient; establish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord is at hand.

1Pe 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore of sound mind, and be sober unto prayer:

Heb 10:37 For yet a very little while, He that cometh shall come, and shall not tarry.

2Th:2:1: Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2Th:2:2: That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
2Th:2:3: Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
2Th:2:4: Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
2Th:2:5: Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
2Th:2:6: And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
2Th:2:7: For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

It does not seem like everyone expected Jesus to return so soon. In fact there was instruction given to not expect it soon. Many prophecies were written that had to be fulfilled still. There were perilous times ahead and Jesus Himself had prophesied that the gospel would be preached to the all of the nations before He came back.

2Th:2:2: That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

Of course that was about 1950 years ago, lol.

They were definitely expecting him to come back in their lifetimes...

Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Tit 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

1Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;
1Ti 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.
1Ti 6:13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession;
1Ti 6:14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Jesus Himself had prophesied that the gospel would be preached to the all of the nations before He came back.

Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

World
G3625
?????????
oikoumene?
oy-kou-men'-ay
Feminine participle present passive of G3611 (as noun, by implication of G1093); land, that is, the (terrene part of the) globe; specifically the Roman empire: - earth, world.

Same word here
Luk 2:1 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.

Means the whole known world.

At any rate..

Tit 2:11 For the saving grace of God was manifested to All men,

Rom 16:26 made known to All nations for the obedience of faith:

Rom 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the Whole world.

1Ti 3:16...God was manifested in flesh, declared righteous in spirit, seen by messengers, preached among nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory!

Col 1:23 if so be that ye continue in the faith, grounded and stedfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel which ye heard, which was preached in all creation under heaven; whereof I Paul was made a minister.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back