Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study There is a difference between spirit and soul...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
F

Fedusenko

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The passage clearly states there is a difference between spirit and soul, but also compares the two by stating what else the word of God pierces. Joints and marrow, and thoughts and intents of the heart.

What then are the functions of the soul and spirit, though they seems closely intertwined.

The passage clearly states there is a difference between spirit and soul, but also compares the two by stating what else the word of God pierces. Joints and marrow, and thoughts and intents of the heart.

What then are the functions of the soul and spirit, though they seems closely intertwined.

Soul? a living soul or a dead soul. Eze. 18:4 + ibid verse 20 are going to DIE!
Rev. has 'souls' in the sea that all died.

And Spirit?? Holy Spirit surely left Adam & Eve, which then had to be Born Again with the Holy Spirit given upon Acts 5:32's CODITION OF OBEDIENCE.

And other 'spirits'? We first find that (one!) God is a Spirit. Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost. But not the two that we were made in Their IMAGE OF! (in which man was created like!) Jehovah & Christ God!

And angels are 'spirits' both good ones & very bad ones! (Heb. 1:7)

Gen. 2
[7] And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man [[became a living soul.]]

And even then man had only conditional life, depending on his obeying God! + we find God documenting that only He has IMMORTALITY! (unconditional) 1 Tim. 6:16 + 1 Tim. 1:17.

And without the Gospel?? Mankind would very soon be ETERNALLY gone! Even note that the Tree of Life must again be restored as seen in Rev.21's last verse + chapter 22's 1-2 verses!

Rev.21 +..
[27] And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Rev.22

[1] And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
[2] In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

SO: satan was a LIAR from the beginning! And without the Gospel being given, mankind would have ceased to exist even without a justified executional hell! And the ones who come up in the Second resurection to die the SECOND eternal death in hell? They would in time have ceased to exist regardless. (compare why? Psalms 78:24-25)

--Elijah

Are you saying that our body is the soul and our spirit is... what? I had a hard time following you. You will have to speak simple for me as all the bolding and parenthesis only confuse me. :shrug

Are you saying that our body is the soul and our spirit is... what? I had a hard time following you. You will have to speak simple for me as all the bolding and parenthesis only confuse me. :shrug

Gen. 2
[7] And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

This is the Lord's Word, can you understan Him??

It's been explained to me and probably many others that we are like the egg, body is the shell, soul the white and the yolk the spirit, or as concentric circles, with the innermost the spirit, the next one out the soul and the last and biggest one the body. That is the body encapsulates the soul, with the spirit the most hidden part of us.

Don't know if this helps much because it doesn't explain their functions until you add in that the body is the container for both soul and spirit and the one with direct contact with the outside world.

The soul has been said to be the mind, will and emotions, in contact with the bodily senses and function. The spirit, of course, is the container of the intermingled human and divine Spirit in a believer. It is dead, to God at least, in the unsaved, apparently.

About the functions then, you'd have to say the body is what keeps us earthbound and sensible to the outside world. The soul is more free, in that it is what allows us to think beyond the body, have feelings for others and and God and to choose what we do in the world.

The spirit, intermingled with God's, makes us divine and powerful. Too bad it can take so long for the the mind to inform itself and the body that the spirit is meant to be in control of the whole of the person!

Elijah, A soul is a breathing body. Is that what you are getting from scripture? Does that mean that animals are souls too?

tessiewebb, The analogy doesn't really help me as I am looking for functions. I have a little bit of an engineer in me! But the bit about thoughts and emotions and mind stand out to me. You are saying that the soul is what create our thoughts and impulses? Do you have any scripture to back that up? I know this is a difficult subject to reference in the bible...

Elijah, A soul is a breathing body. Is that what you are getting from scripture? Does that mean that animals are souls too?

tessiewebb, The analogy doesn't really help me as I am looking for functions. I have a little bit of an engineer in me! But the bit about thoughts and emotions and mind stand out to me. You are saying that the soul is what create our thoughts and impulses? Do you have any scripture to back that up? I know this is a difficult subject to reference in the bible...
The quick answer that comes to mind, and it may not be what you are looking for as a person with an engineer's mind, is that Jesus wept. Around that verse it also says "He groaned in His spirit." Pretty clearly, his spirit was not what wept.

Like to go into this more with you, but right now I've got to do some other things. Will check back in later. I'm enjoying this thread!

Yes, I have studied that passage including the words. It is when Jesus sees the mourners of His good friend who has died. The word there seems to not mean spirit in the metaphysical sense, but with a great breath like a hoarse. That is the commentary from Strong's at least.

I am not convinced this passage will shed any light on my question, but I do look forward to your thoughts.

Hi. I think that one needs to define by the word of God what breath means + what a living or dead soul means. (at least how they are used in there meaning)

But yes, this verse does indeed use the Word of 'soul' to mean life or [death] of any creation of God, that has life or that die's.

Rev. 16:3 Is the N.T. & is the Lord's last workings & verse 3 includes [all souls] as inclusive. (and as always, this in not my word, but God saying this)

[1] And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.
[2] And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image.
[3] And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

And a couple more are found in Eze. 18:4 + Eze. 18:20 for the unrepentant sinners fate.

--Elijah

So souls can live and die. Do you know any parts of the bible that define a soul in any fashion? What about spirits?

So souls can live and die. Do you know any parts of the bible that define a soul in any fashion? What about spirits?

All one needs is Gods WORD before sin. (will He be Believed?:study)
Gen.2
[7] And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and [[man became a living soul.]]

And after sin??
Gen. 7
[21] And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:

[22] [[All in whose nostrils was the breath of life]], of all that was in the dry land, died.

And take away your breath & most believe & teach satan's stuff!:robot That there is an immortal soul somewhere in D-E-A-D Abe's bossum or whatever other of Jude's WINDS are blowing around from his 's'pirits??

And yes, only mankind are made in the IMAGE of God. All angels are ministering spirits, both good + very bad!

And after sin??? We find the third person of the Godhead {-- which are.. Jehovah + Christ + Holy SPIRIT OR HOLY GHOST with three seperate identies of the Godhead, with the Holy Spirit STRIVING to have all return to Christ. We can have the Holy Spirit, or we can have a 'evil' spirit control us! Acts 5:32.

Christ REQUIRED in John 3:3-8 for us to BE BORN AGAIN & that is just ones START BACK to Christ, so as to [[MATURE]] into perfection by His Promised on CONDITION POWER! If we will do so?? Phil. 4:13 + 2 Cor. 12:9

So yes, there are strivings of two types of spirits. God's & satans, with many helpers!

--Elijah

Not that I can think of off the top. In the OT the word "soul" in Strong's Concordance via Blue Letter Bible, is the word "nephesh", defined as "soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion, seat of the appetites, seat of emotions and passions, activity of mind, activity of the will, activity of the character". On the other hand, spirit is the word ruwach defined as "wind, breath, mind, spirit (as that which breathes quickly in animation or agitation), animation, vivacity, vigor, courage, spirit (of the living, breathing being in man and animals).

In the NT, soul is the word "psyche" and is defined as "breath of life"; spirit is the word "pneuma" and is defined as "the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, co-eternal with the Father and the Son" and is "never referred to as a depersonalized force" and "the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides". The same word for spirit is used to delinate evil spirits (by adding "unclean" or "dumb", "deaf" and the like), the "Holy Spirit" and the "spirit of a man". In the NT, the word is never used for animals.

So there you have it, way too much overlapping of definitions to give a definitive answer as to the difference in the words unless you are speaking of the Spirit of God.

However, in 1 Cor 2:11 it says "For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? ...." This seems to point to the spirit being, as the definition says, the rational part of the human being. And, the fact that Scripture always uses different words for soul and spirit does show there has to be a difference.

Here is a website that claims to be able to define the difference: http://www.cupofwrath.com/risen-dust/09-soul-spirit.php

We are created in the "image" of God. God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit, a tripartite being. Three in One. The Trinity.
We are tripartite beings. Body, Soul and Spirit. Just as God is intrinsically ONE, but Jesus is separate and the Holy Spirit does the empowering that we need.
Our body contains our spirit and soul, and the Bible says in John 4:24, God is spirit, and his worshippers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.â€
Think of your soul as your mind and inner being. Thoughts and intents of the heart are just that. The heart is part of our soul. Col 3:1 tells us what to do with our heart. Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
It is important to note though, that our body has a carnal nature that we either control by our spirit, by submitting to God's spirit, or we let IT control our heart and soul. Psalm 119:11 holds very true for ALL of us, I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

I have often referred to the soul and mind being one and the same, but I am not settled on the spirit. Stan, I understood your post to suggest that the spirit is a part of God in us. Can you better direct me with your meaning?

I have often referred to the soul and mind being one and the same, but I am not settled on the spirit. Stan, I understood your post to suggest that the spirit is a part of God in us. Can you better direct me with your meaning?

Gen 2:7; Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

This is not something the scriptures say God did with all the other life He created.
I believe this breath of life is our spirit, because it came from God's own spirit.

Gen 2:7; Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

This is not something the scriptures say God did with all the other life He created.
I believe this breath of life is our spirit, because it came from God's own spirit.

I agree with what you've said about the spirit. I always felt like the soul maybe our spiritual DNA making us who we are as individuals.

When a person dies their life (spirit) leaves and everything that made them who they were is gone too.

• Soul is who we, in simple words, the conscience of us. It is a term to refer a person.
  • Spirit is more like an electricity to a machine, that is provide by God that makes each man to live. It is the spirit that gives life. Without the spirit, flesh is dead.

Flesh + Spirit = living soul.

When we die, we become a dead soul.

However, a dead soul does not mean it is destroyed.

(Matt 10:28) "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

• Soul is who we, in simple words, the conscience of us. It is a term to refer a person.
  • Spirit is more like an electricity to a machine, that is provide by God that makes each man to live. It is the spirit that gives life. Without the spirit, flesh is dead.
Flesh + Spirit = living soul.

When we die, we become a dead soul.

However, a dead soul does not mean it is destroyed.

(Matt 10:28) "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Here I was just thinking that we agreed on something;) and here comes this..
'However, a dead soul does not mean it is destroyed.' (you say)

Are you believing in the Judgment then?? And that 'all' is not over & finished yet?

What is that supposed to mean? soul, spirit, Holy Spirit or evil spirit, breath of life or what??
Eze. 18:4 + Eze. 18:20 & Rev. 16

[3] And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.
+
Eccl. 3
[19] For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
[20] All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
[21] Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, (if one is Born Again?) and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

Help!;)

--Elijah

Here I was just thinking that we agreed on something;) and here comes this..
'However, a dead soul does not mean it is destroyed.' (you say)

Are you believing in the Judgment then?? And that 'all' is not over & finished yet?

What is that supposed to mean? soul, spirit, Holy Spirit or evil spirit, breath of life or what??
Eze. 18:4 + Eze. 18:20 & Rev. 16

+
Eccl. 3
[19] For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
[20] All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
[21] Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, (if one is Born Again?) and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

Help!;)

--Elijah

[G5590 ψυχή psuche] which refers to soul is translated as life in KJV 10 times in Matt 2:20; John 13:37; Acts 20:10; Acts 20:24; Acts 27:22; Rom 11:3; Rom 16:4; Phil 2:30; 1John 3:16; Rev 8:9. Life and soul are either interchangeable but the actual meaning is not just "life" but as in Mickelson's Hebrew and greek dictionary puts it, it is "soul, inner being or life"

For a soul, spirit is not required as we see in case of Jesus, whose soul was not left in hades which was after He gave up His Spirit in the cross and died. This "soul" is what I said as dead soul. But the soul itself is not destroyed which can only be destroyed in hell as Jesus said.

As in Eccl 3:21, it is not for Born Again only, but every living human after his/her death, the spirit of man will return to their Creator who gave the Spirit for it is His Spirit. The spirit of man belongs to God as He said in Gen 6, My Spirit shall not strive with man for ever and his days are 120 years.. meaning after 120 years He is going to destroy the earth with flood.

Hi all. I don't really know much scripture for what I'm going to say but I remember a preacher saying that when Adam was created he had body, spirit, and soul. When he sinned the spirit died, or was withdrawn and all his defendants were born with only body and soul. When we are born again, we are in dwelt by the holy spirit and therefore are restored to what we should have been before the fall, except the sinful body of course.

We are made in the image of god, now I'm not steping into modelism here, but if god is a trinity, wouldn't it make sence if there was 3 parts to us? Wether you agree or disagree, I think no one can deny a born again beloved has three components. Soul, body and holy spirit.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back