Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

There Is Only One Baptism With the Holy Spirit By Jesus Christ

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Enow

Ephesians 4:4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

There is only one hope of our calling and thus one baptism given by Jesus Christ. This is to His glory as our Saviour at our salvation: and to be given at no other time afterwards because there is no more calling to heed in that regard.

1 Corinthians 12:13For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

There is only one drink of the one Spirit and that is to be baptized into the body of Christ.

Galatians 3:14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Hebrews 11:1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.....6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Galatians 3:26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

1 Corinthians 6:19What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

We are not in the process of becoming His: we are His since our salvation.

Hebrews 4:9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

There are no other baptisms with the Holy Spirit to seek after, so rest in Jesus Christ.

RIGHT! Only ONE baptism today. It is water baptism.

I believe the Ephesians 4:4-6 were not referencing water baptism at all, but just the baptism with the Holy Spirit by Jesus Christ.

In Acts 10:34-48, Gentile believers had received the promise of the Spirit by believing the very words that Peter had spoken before they were even baptized by water thus one does not need water baptism to be baptized with the Holy Spirit by Jesus Christ at their salvation.

Paul made this distinction in how water baptism does not play a crucial part in one's salvation.

1 Corinthians 1:17For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Peter agreed also because the answer of a good conscience by believing is how one is saved: not by the putting away of the filth as water would do.

1 Peter 3: 21The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Romans 10:8But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

All in all: I believe Ephesians 4:4-6 was referencing the one baptism of the Holy Spirit by Jesus Christ which had occurred at our salvation when we first had believed in Him.

I agree.

John 1:26,33 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;. . . . . .v33) And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Spirit.- - - -which is the same as John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. - - - - which is the same as what's spoken of "living water". (John 4:10-15) & John 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Acts 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit no many days hence.
Acts 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water, but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit. Peter said this after going to Cornelius' house and witnessing the baptism of the Holy Spirit on the Gentiles, although he also baptize them with water, which is the last written record of water baptism.

If there is water baptism and baptism of the Holy Spirit that makes two baptisms but there is only one baptism according to Ephesians 4:5.

I would be willing to take this subject to the debate forum.

I would rather you take the matter to Jesus in prayer for discernment and understanding His words as it is not in my power to convince nor to convict you.

As it is: Jesus is able to save those that believe without water baptism.

If anyone truly wants the truth about this topic, study this thread.

If anyone does not want the truth about it, don't study it.

[URL="http://www.christianforums.net/f17/baptism-holy-spirit-scriptural-study-31052/"]http://www.christianforums.net/f17/baptism-holy-spirit-scriptural-study-31052/[/URL]

Thank you for sharing your link to your thread, however, I have posted some contentions to it in defense of the faith in Jesus Christ.

Seeking after a sign to validate one's ministry should be also taken in the same regard as seeking after a sign to confirm one's salvation.

http://www.christianforums.net/f17/seeking-after-sign-receiving-holy-spirit-38395/

Philippians 2:25Yet I supposed it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier, but your messenger, and he that ministered to my wants. 26For he longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that ye had heard that he had been sick. 27For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. 28I sent him therefore the more carefully, that, when ye see him again, ye may rejoice, and that I may be the less sorrowful.

If God did not have mercy on him, and he had died: it does not mean that God had invalidate Paul's ministry because the healing did not come. And so in that same voice: no miracle should be seen as proof that God called them into the ministry as believers are not to seek after a sign in serving them in that regard.

The just shall live by faith: but if ministers had to be confirmed and to live by signs: how can the followers live by faith then? Answer: They cannot.

So the linking of signs with the baptism with the Holy Spirit by Jesus Christ which is the same thing as the anointing that we have received of Him at our salvation is not done for the believers' sake and is not to be our focus in our walk with Him.

Continuing in His words is how we are to be His disciples.

John 8:30As he spake these words, many believed on him. 31Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Hi Enow

You wrote: "Jesus is able to save those that believe without water baptism." Of course, "Jesus is able to" do anything, He could have made us 8 feet tall with three legs, 2 heads and four arms. The fact is, He didn't do it. He was able to save without water baptism but the fact is, that isn't what He and His apostles taught.

By the way, I have prayed about this many times, I assure you. The words of scripture are the words of the Holy Spirit which convice of "sin, righteousness and of judgment to come", so no need to worry about you convicting me. If either of us are convinced I trust it will be by the words given by the Holy Spirit, nothing more, nothing less and certainlly nothing different.

God bless

God bless

Seeking after a sign to validate one's ministry should be also taken in the same regard as
seeking after a sign to confirm one's salvation.
I fail to see what these "signs" have to do with your topic.
Are you referring to the following details connected with this baptism?

The Scripture PASSAGES below explain what the baptism with the Holy Spirit is all about.
And the important DETAILS in each passage are shown in the chart below.
Please notice how these details are so inter-connected in the chart.

1 Luke 24:49 ------ 8 Acts 8:14-19
2 Acts 1:4-8 ------ 9 Acts 9:17-18
3 Acts 2:1-4 ----- 10 Romans 15:19
4 Acts 2:33-39 --- 11 Acts 10:44-48
5 Acts 4:8-16 ---- 12 Acts 11:15-17
6 Acts 4:31 ------ 13 Acts 14:3
7 Acts 5:12-16 ----14 Acts 19:5-6

------------------- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
the Promise --------Y-Y---Y-------------------------
baptized with HS -----Y-------------Y--------Y-----Y
the gift -----------------Y---------------Y--Y------
upon ---------------Y Y Y---------Y-------Y--Y-----Y
laying on of hands ---------------Y-Y-----------Y--Y
filled with HS ---------Y---Y-Y-----Y---------------
received HS ----------------------Y-------Y---------
speaking tongues -------Y-----------------Y--------Y
power --------------Y-Y-----------Y----Y------------
boldness -------------------Y-Y-----------------Y---
miracles -------------------Y---Y---Y--Y--------Y---

Truly, the "upon" verses are the KEY.
They have absolutely ZERO to do with the Holy Spirit coming IN at salvation.
Paul has many verses talking about Christians having the Spirit IN them.
This baptism has absolutely ZERO to do with being born again.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fail to see what these "signs" have to do with your topic.
Are you referring to the following details connected with this baptism?

The Scripture PASSAGES below explain what the baptism with the Holy Spirit is all about.
And the important DETAILS in each passage are shown in the chart below.
Please notice how these details are so inter-connected in the chart.

1 Luke 24:49 ------ 8 Acts 8:14-19
2 Acts 1:4-8 ------ 9 Acts 9:17-18
3 Acts 2:1-4 ----- 10 Romans 15:19
4 Acts 2:33-39 --- 11 Acts 10:44-48
5 Acts 4:8-16 ---- 12 Acts 11:15-17
6 Acts 4:31 ------ 13 Acts 14:3
7 Acts 5:12-16 ----14 Acts 19:5-6

------------------- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
the Promise --------Y-Y---Y-------------------------
baptized with HS -----Y-------------Y--------Y-----Y
the gift -----------------Y---------------Y--Y------
upon ---------------Y Y Y---------Y-------Y--Y-----Y
laying on of hands ---------------Y-Y-----------Y--Y
filled with HS ---------Y---Y-Y-----Y---------------
received HS ----------------------Y-------Y---------
speaking tongues -------Y-----------------Y--------Y
power --------------Y-Y-----------Y----Y------------
boldness -------------------Y-Y-----------------Y---
miracles -------------------Y---Y---Y--Y--------Y---

Truly, the "upon" verses are the KEY.
They have absolutely ZERO to do with the Holy Spirit coming IN at salvation.
Paul has many verses talking about Christians having the Spirit IN them.
This baptism has absolutely ZERO to do with being born again.
Good luck.

Maybe not in Acts but as you pointed out in your thread that you linked to above:

John the Baptist tells us that Jesus is the One who baptizes with the Holy Spirit:
“He (Jesus) will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” (Matthew 3:11).
Also see similar wording in the other gospels (Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33).
It is God’s will that people should receive this special baptism
in which people are baptized WITH the Holy Spirit BY Jesus.
But, this is not to be confused with another type of baptism, which concerns salvation:
“For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body (the Church)” (1 Corinthians 12:12).
In this latter case, the Holy Spirit does the baptizing.

I will grant that I agree with your interpretation of 1 Corinthians 12:13 but want to also make the point that the baptism Paul mentions becomes a rather common/consistent usage by him in Romans 6:3-4, Galatians 3:27, and also in Ephesians 4:5. I've been reading Lewis Chafer's systematic theology recently, specifically the volume on Pneumatology, and he makes a point similar to yours above but he shows that Paul's terminiology uses the secondary sense of the word baptizo (the primary meaning being to dip or immerse) where the secondary, symbolic sense is essentially to bring something under the influence of something else (and he does cite authority for that), which is how Paul also used the term when he mentioned being "baptized into Moses". That secondary sense is used to convey the truth of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. To be baptized by the Spirit means to come under the influence and power of the Spirit, which has various related results mentioned in those verses (like being made one with Christ's Body [1 Cor 12:13] - for starters). In each case Paul is refering to Spirit Baptism and not water baptism (and since the symbolic/secondary sense of baptizo is used sparingly in the NT it makes more sense that it is deliberately and consistently employed to invoke a similar or identical concept/truth each time that it's used, instead of different uses/meanings with each occurance).

I noticed a trend that even if you cannot tie the baptisms of Acts directly with the Spirit baptism of 1 Corinthians 12:13 that at least Paul is rather consistent with his own terminology of baptism in his epistles (1 Corinthians, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians). That observation along with the fact that in Ephesians 4:4-6 Paul is mentioning spiritual realities mitigate against it being any reference to water baptism and rather makes a convincing case that it is Spirit Baptism (1 Corinthians 12:13) which is in view by Paul. Therefore I agree with the interpretation in the OP that Ephesians 4:5 refers to Spirit Baptism.

How do you fall on that particular point?

~Josh

I noticed a trend that even if you cannot tie the baptisms of Acts directly with the Spirit baptism of 1 Corinthians 12:13 that at least Paul is rather consistent with his own terminology of baptism in his epistles (1 Corinthians, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians). That observation along with the fact that in Ephesians 4:4-6 Paul is mentioning spiritual realities mitigate against it being any reference to water baptism and rather makes a convincing case that it is Spirit Baptism (1 Corinthians 12:13) which is in view by Paul. Therefore I agree with the interpretation in the OP that Ephesians 4:5 refers to Spirit Baptism.
How do you fall on that particular point?
Yes, people love to point to Ephesians 4:5 ... one baptism.

Hebrews 6:1-2
Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ,
let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation
of repentance from dead works and
of faith toward God,
of the doctrine of baptisms,
of laying on of hands,
of resurrection of the dead, and
of eternal judgment.

I can guarantee you that ...

whenever Paul or anyone else talks of the Holy Spirit being IN someone,
it refers to salvation.

whenever Paul or anyone else talks of the Holy Spirit being UPON someone,
it refers to the baptism with the Holy Spirit.

This baptism has absolutely NOTHING to do with salvation ... NADA, ZERO, ZILTCH.

The problem, brothers, is that aside from misreading the verses to validate some other supernatural phenomenon that just happened to occur to a believer again in this present time: I have one believer that is an author that has a book testifying to three baptisms of the Holy Spirit and the person reading the book was testifying to me personally as having other knowledge that there are five baptisms of the Holy Spirit.

Then you have Joyce Meyers testifying of having an experience of the Holy Spirit coming over her, causing her to speak in tongues as she interpret it to mean that it was an anointing: as if that was a seperate event of God as God was calling her into the ministry.

Then I have a neighbor across the street testifying to the same experience but changing her testimony as to when she was saved from before to that moment as being when she was definitely saved because she got it all at once. It is testimonies like her that has led many to teach that if you do not speak in tongues, you do not have the Holy Spirit, and thus you are not saved. My neighbor did not say that, but her testimony would be used to support that.

Then you have believers all across the internet trying to make sense of this event: saying there is a baptism with, of , and by the Holy Spirit: then you have some seperating the sanctification process from the salvation event: and then they have many calling it a continual filling that every believer has to seek: then some receive signs and wonders from receiving the Holy Spirit again:

For all of this purported movement of the "Spirit", the Spirit of Truth cannot be found if the spirit of error has been going against His words.

Bottomline: they are no longer preaching Jesus Christ and Him crucified when they do that. They are giving out another calling: another invitation: thus moving believers away from their resting place in Christ Jesus in seeking after a sign.

Bottomline again: believers do not know what that supernatural phenomenon is about: they all testify it wholeheartedly believing it to be what they say it is: but they really do not know.

Using verses of such like in the book of Acts is one of fitting the experience into the scriptures instead of discerning the spirits by the word of God. The letters to the churches reproves all false doctrines coming out of the book of Acts. ( Mind you, the Book of Acts is the word of God: just that there are false teachings coming out of the Book of Acts that is contrary to the faith we have in Jesus Christ )

There is only one baptism with the Holy Spirit that was fulfilled by the one hope of our calling pertaining to our salvation which is in Christ Jesus: if there were more: they would have clarified it, but they did not. Do lean on Jesus Christ to discern that key point.

Yes, people love to point to Ephesians 4:5 ... one baptism.

Hebrews 6:1-2
Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ,
let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation
of repentance from dead works and
of faith toward God,
of the doctrine of baptisms,
of laying on of hands,
of resurrection of the dead, and
of eternal judgment.

I can guarantee you that ...

whenever Paul or anyone else talks of the Holy Spirit being IN someone,
it refers to salvation.

whenever Paul or anyone else talks of the Holy Spirit being UPON someone,
it refers to the baptism with the Holy Spirit.

This baptism has absolutely NOTHING to do with salvation ... NADA, ZERO, ZILTCH.

I can understand your point and where you are going with it, but I don't think you got the main point that I was trying to emphasize. Paul is consistent with his own terminology of baptism of the Spirit when it is symbolically applied (he does mention water baptism in 1 Corinthians though - saying he was glad he did not baptize many), so we can expect all references in his epistles to be to the same Spirit baptism. Acts however was not written by Paul and may (I am not sold on this interpretation yet) employ the terminology of baptism by the Spirit differently as per Luke's usage.

The only somewhat legitimate distinction I have seen to argue for two kinds of Spirit Baptism (which argument actually does not hinge on the author who wrote it) is that the Spirit baptism mentioned in the Gospels and in Acts is showing Jesus as the one who baptizes with the Spirit, whereas in the Epistles it is the Spirit who is the actor in the baptizing event (even baptizing the believer into Christ - which is the reciprocal action of the former). Whether or not it can be established that those are not two aspects of the same event though is not certain. However as for Paul I would expect all his references to baptism when employed symbolically to refer to the same truth (not a different usage each time). I'm not trying to draw a conclusion, per se, as much as trying to more clearly define the lines of terminology usage. If we can first agree on the usage by different authors then we can proceed to draw Scriptural inferences and conclusions from that.

God Bless,
~Josh

Would it be fair to suggest that I Cor.12:13 does refer to water baptism in the sense that the Spirit gave the Word of God to the apostles? Same thought with John 3?

Would it be fair to suggest that I Cor.12:13 does refer to water baptism in the sense that the Spirit gave the Word of God to the apostles? Same thought with John 3?

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body,

Not by water but by (in, with) one Spirit.

Water baptism is a symbolic gesture on a public level of someone's dedication and belief in Christ.

When you are immersed in the water and come up, you are still flesh - that which is flesh is flesh but on the inside you have been immersed in the holy Spirit - that which is Spirit is spirit.

Does someone have to be baptized/immersed in water to be baptized/immersed by the Spirit? One only has to believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and that God raised him from the dead and they are saved - born again of God thus being baptized/immersed in/by that one Spirit - that is the one baptism.

The fact is, He didn't do it. He was able to save without water baptism but the fact is, that isn't what He and His apostles taught.

You will find more verses of the words by Jesus Christ in how one is saved and that is by believing without mentioning water baptism at all, then you will find with water baptism.

Paul declared this:

1 Corinthians 1:17For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Peter said this:

1 Peter 3:21The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

So the baptism that comes is by the answer of a good conscience towards God which is what? By believing. Not by water as it is a means used for putting away the filth of the flesh.

So what is the baptism that comes for believing in Jesus Christ? The baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 1:12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

No water baptism mentioned here as a requirement because it is by believing in Jesus Christ that one receives the remission of sins and thereby receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost without water baptism.

Hi Enow
God only has to say something one time to make it true, is that not true? Is it not true also that we must take all God says on any given subject to determine the truth? Is it not true that we must keep matters studies in their context? Is it not true that we are told to study and rightliy divide the word of truth, II Tim.3:16? Applying all the above I can only conclude water baptism is required of one for salvation, the remission of sins etc.

This is why I invited you to the debate forum on this matter that it may be studied without interuptuon. I now invite you again.

There is only one baptism with the Holy Spirit that was fulfilled by the one hope of our calling pertaining to our salvation which is in Christ Jesus: if there were more: they would have clarified it, but they did not. Do lean on Jesus Christ to discern that key point.
I heartily recommend that you begin interviewing the millions of people
around the world who have received the baptism with the Holy Spirit.

They will testify as to the difference between this and salvation.
They will be happy to set you straight. Don't listen to me, listen to them.

This baptism is basically a special anointing (usually for some ministry)
But, for some, it is simply so their prayers will be much more effective
because they will be praying in the Spirit (in tongues).

Hey, I repeat, don't believe me ... ask the millions, they're waiting for you.
Good luck.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back