Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Joh 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
Joh 2:20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
Joh 2:21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The slight differences in the gospels are of no concern to me.... I believe they are all the Word of God and there for equal in validation. Just as today 4 guys could see the same ballgame report it abit different but the score is what it is... Go SF Giants :thumbsup

Joh 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
Joh 2:20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
Joh 2:21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The slight differences in the gospels are of no concern to me.... I believe they are all the Word of God and there for equal in validation. Just as today 4 guys could see the same ballgame report it abit different but the score is what it is... Go SF Giants :thumbsup

The Gospels are the word of God.

The fact that Jesus is dealing with 2 questions that concern the same place but at different times should draw your attention to the fact that the slight differences in the Gospels are there for a reason.

JLB

Every word in The Word is there for a reason. Which brings to mind this verse...

1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

Every word in The Word is there for a reason. Which brings to mind this verse...

1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

Could you explain how this scripture relates to our discussion.

Thanks JLB

To me it speaks of the main difference in the way you and i see Scripture.. I get the idea you see Scripture more literal (natural) then i do...

To me it speaks of the main difference in the way you and i see Scripture.. I get the idea you see Scripture more literal (natural) then i do...

The way I see this scripture is -

And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

The end means the last Day.

When the gospel reaches the whole world ...then the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.

That is the end. That is the last Day. That Day, I believe we are all waiting for.

I believe that is the way you see it as well, from what I've read of your post's.

JLB

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come. "

This end is a series of events.

The gospel of the kingdom is the good news of a coming Kingdom to be established upon the earth, ruling over all nations, as was described in the OT, which was preached by Jesus disciples before they knew much of anything about our presennt time between the comings.

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come. "

For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;6 Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:
This end is a series of events.

The gospel of the kingdom is the good news of a coming Kingdom to be established upon the earth, ruling over all nations, as was described in the OT, which was preached by Jesus disciples before they knew much of anything about our presennt time between the comings.
14 How then shall they call upon [him] in whom they did not believe? and how shall they believe [on him] of whom they did not hear? and how shall they hear apart from one preaching?
15 and how shall they preach, if they may not be sent? according as it hath been written, `How beautiful the feet of those proclaiming good tidings of peace, of those proclaiming good tidings of the good things!'
16 But they were not all obedient to the good tidings, for Isaiah saith, `Lord, who did give credence to our report?'
17 so then the faith [is] by a report, and the report through a saying of God,
18 but I say, Did they not hear? yes, indeed -- `to all the earth their voice went forth, and to the ends of the habitable world their sayings.':wave

The Day He raise's us up is the last Day.

The last Day is the end of the age.

JLB
What age ?

Care to quote Jesus is support?

Can you quote Jesus in support of any of your schemes?

What age ?

Care to quote Jesus is support?

Can you quote Jesus in support of any of your schemes?

The Day He raise's us up is the last Day.
39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. 40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:39-40

What age ?
The age Jesus referred to when He said -

Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. Matthew 12:32

Therefore as the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of this age. Matthew 13:40

...teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. Matthew 28:20

who shall not receive many times more in this present time, andin the age to come eternal life." Luke 18:30

The end of the age, or as Jesus said, this present time.

34 And Jesus answered and said to them, "The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage; Luke 20:34-35

This age, according to Jesus, is this present time. After He raise's us up at the resurrection, it will be another age or be refereed to as the age to come, or that age.

The last day of this age is THE LAST DAY. The last day of this present age.

The last Day He will raise us up!

JLB

Wow, what a long thread. Forgive me if I don't review all of it. But, I'll just add my two cents.

The Bible does say the Gospel has been preached to the "all the world", per the verse proofs in the OP. The jewish region/world is what's relevant here. God didn't want the Temple destroyed, and the age to end, before all the circumcised believers had heard the Gospel.

Wow, what a long thread. Forgive me if I don't review all of it. But, I'll just add my two cents.

The Bible does say the Gospel has been preached to the "all the world", per the verse proofs in the OP. The jewish region/world is what's relevant here. God didn't want the Temple destroyed, and the age to end, before all the circumcised believers had heard the Gospel.

Could you give a scripture for your comment.

JLB

Could you give a scripture for your comment.

JLB

The OP establishes the biblical doctrine that the Gospel had already been preached to "all the world" in the first century.

In our Lord's discourse in Matthew 24, Jesus predicts the destruction of the Temple (v2), which his followers associate with the end of the age (v3). Jesus continues and explains that the Gospel must first be preached to "all the world" (v14), then the end will come.

I have viewed this from thinking God in His mercy allowed "this generation" to continue their temple life.. I am thinking your :twocents makes more cents!

In our Lord's discourse in Matthew 24, Jesus predicts the destruction of the Temple (v2), which his followers associate with the end of the age (v3). Jesus continues and explains that the Gospel must first be preached to "all the world" (v14), then the end will come.
Good summary. "The end" here, as I have tried to point out repeatedly, is not the end of the planet as portrayed in movies like Armageddon, 2012, Day After Tomorrow, etc.

The end to which Jesus is referring in Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 17, 19, 21, and to which all the other writers of the NT refer is this end of the Jewish religion, culture, national identity, and unique standing as God's priests and "holy people."

Jesus told the chief priests, scribes, and Pharisees in Matthew 21 that God was going to take the kingdom of God away from them and give it to a people that would "produce the fruit thereof." The context of this passage in Matthew 21:33-46 (parable of the vineyard) comes from Isaiah 5:1-7 (song of the vineyard).

JLB has actually gotten at least one thing right here so far: the "last day" Jesus prophesies of in John 6 concerning the resurrection is tied to the "end of the age" in Daniel 12 and Matthew 24 (among others). Unfortunately, JLB wants to put all these things way off in the future when it's clear from Christ's words (and those of Daniel) that the "end of the age" (Matthew) or the "time of the end" (Daniel) are both referring to this "last day" fulfilled before the generation to whom Jesus was speaking had passed; while some of them still lived.

When people read phrases like "last day", "end of the age", "end time", "time of the end", it must be understood that these phrases all refer to the end of the Mosaic Age (age of the Law) and the full ushering in of the Messianic Age (age of Grace.)

To the mind of a devout, first century Jew, there could be nothing more devastating than to see the world they had known all their lives destroyed as quickly and as completely as it was. This is the reason the words used by the apostles pointing to this impending doom are so extreme (1 Peter 4:7). These were men who knew the world as they knew it was coming to an end. What kind of language would we use if we knew America were going to be destroyed so quickly and so completely?

The final sign Jesus gave them that this end was imminent was the sign of the gospel being preached throughout the whole world as they knew it, and that happened before their generation had passed (Matthew 23:36, Matthew 24:34) while some of them still lived (Matthew 10:23, Matthew 16:27-28).

Hi Storm,

Peter is making a comparison between the flood and the end of the present age. The flood was the end of the earth of that time, in the same regard that the 'earth reserved for fire' will be the end of the earth this time.

6 By these waters - (literal) also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire (literal), being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

The flood came, and only Noah and his family survived. Are you saying that the temple was destroyed, but x amount of people all over the earth survived? If you believe this to be true, there is no need for Peter to make the comparison with the flood. He is making the comparison as a clear reference to indicate what will happen to this earth again.

The temple being destroyed in 70AD was NOT the day of judgement or the destruction of the ungodly.

In reference to your "End of all things is near"

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

If Peters writing is between 64-65AD, then he was pretty close if everything happend in 70AD, thus making his above statement null and void. He was clearly indicating a future event, far further than a 5 year time span.

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.[a]

Didn't happen in 70AD however you spin it. Once again, this ties in with his initial reference to the flood.

Flood = earth destroyed = literal event
Fire = earth destroyed = literal event

Put Peter's words in the context of Christ's words as recorded in Luke 17:22-37.

39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. 40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:39-40
The silence wrt 'age' is not much help to your position .
The age Jesus referred to when He said -

Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. Matthew 12:32

Therefore as the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of this age. Matthew 13:40
Hmmm so all that causes evil is removed and with Christ bodily enthroned on Earth for a thousand years the end result is rebellion. I dont think so Tim .

You cant grasp it but maybe here is a lurker or two who can: The best possible method for promoting the Kingdom of God in history is the method God set in place when He called Christ up to His Right Hand and sent the Holy Spirit. The Kingdom Jesus speaks of in M13 is nothing other than the Messianic kingdom foretold by the prophets. It grows gradually through history, it is designed to grow with in sight of the enemy and the way it grows is through the ministry of the Holy Spirit drawing men to the Father. It is idiotic to pine for the great days of some supposed personal administration by Christ to set all things aright when we can quote Jesus Christ saying that it is to our advantage that He goes rather than stays.
...teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. Matthew 28:20

who shall not receive many times more in this present time, andin the age to come eternal life." Luke 18:30

The end of the age, or as Jesus said, this present time.

34 And Jesus answered and said to them, "The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage; Luke 20:34-35

This age, according to Jesus, is this present time. After He raise's us up at the resurrection, it will be another age or be refereed to as the age to come, or that age.

The last day of this age is THE LAST DAY. The last day of this present age.

The last Day He will raise us up!

JLB

I reckon that explains why none of your supporting references come from John's gospel or letters.

So it is evident you cant quote Jesus in support. You cant even get any support from John the locus of every use ,save one , of the term 'last day'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back