Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

This is Love: The Biblical Definition

Is walking in love different than walking according to the Spirit?

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JLB

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life
Supporter
This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it. 2 John 6

John, the Apostle of love.

The Apostle the Lord loves, teaches us the biblical definition of love.

• This is love, that we walk according to His commandments.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.
John 15:10

It’s interesting how the world defines love in comparison to how God defines it.

But He answered and said to them, “My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it.” Luke 8:21

JLB

This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it. 2 John 6

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

It’s interesting how the world defines love in comparison to how God defines it.

But He answered and said to them, “My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it.” Luke 8:21

JLB
As precise as the English Language can be, when we arrive at the word Love, it completely drops the ball into a trash can. In the Koine-Greek of the New Testament there are three words translated love. First is Phileo, the sort of love one has for good friends and the second is Agape, the love Yashua has for us, a love a man will die for. Tye last is eros, the word we get erotic from, the lying Hollywood love from. Yashua wants usc to learn to agape (ah=g ah-A) Him as he does us.

Reactions: JLB
As precise as the English Language can be, when we arrive at the word Love, it completely drops the ball into a trash can. In the Koine-Greek of the New Testament there are three words translated love. First is Phileo, the sort of love one has for good friends and the second is Agape, the love Yashua has for us, a love a man will die for. Tye last is eros, the word we get erotic from, the lying Hollywood love from. Yashua wants usc to learn to agape (ah=g ah-A) Him as he does us.

Yes sir. Good point.

The word for love here in verse 6 is agape. The God kind of love.

JLB

I think we need to expound on this a tad. Yes, indeed it is to keep his commandments. The commandments are not just the 10 commandments though. The commandments are rooted in the following:

Romans 13:10 Love does no harm to its neighbor, Therefore love is fulfillment of the law.

The only way you can accomplish this kind of love is to have the Holy Spirit guiding you.

He will make it so that this happens:
Matthew 5:20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

I think we need to expound on this a tad. Yes, indeed it is to keep his commandments. The commandments are not just the 10 commandments though. The commandments are rooted in the following:

Romans 13:10 Love does no harm to its neighbor, Therefore love is fulfillment of the law.

The only way you can accomplish this kind of love is to have the Holy Spirit guiding you.

He will make it so that this happens:
Matthew 5:20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

I agree with you. Only those with the Holy Spirit can walk according to the Spirit, which is walking in love.

ME

Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Love is to serve one another as Christ serves us. Feed my sheep

John 21:15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. 16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. 17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. 18 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. 19 This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.

Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh

Yes. I see an unmistakable connection between love and obedience.

Walking according to the Spirit is walking in obedience to the Spirit.

Jesus said if you love Me...

If you love Me, keep My commandments. John 14:15

For if you carefully keep all these commandments which I command you to do—to love the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, and to hold fast to Him—Deuteronomy 11:22

Paul says it this way -

For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,”and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Romans 13:9

JLB

Jesus said if you love Me...

If you love Me, keep My commandments. John 14:15

For if you carefully keep all these commandments which I command you to do—to love the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, and to hold fast to Him—Deuteronomy 11:22

Paul says it this way -

For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,”and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Romans 13:9

JLB

JLB
Excellent point JLB, amen . I lovingly call Bible the great story of God's LOVE and redemption. If we have not learned to love , I believe we are not true Christians. I also believe it's easier said than done (learn to love). But like you correctly point out that Jesus makes it abundantly clear in Luke 8: 21
My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it.”
What it simply means that those who hear the word and yet do not do it , Jesus has no relationship with them.
I was deceived by my church teachers for almost 13 years that salvation is merely by believing, nothing else needed. This is falsehood and not Christ's teaching which revolves around love, repentance, righteousness and obedience .... complete and comprehensive rejection of sin. I exhort you my brothers and sisters to be doers of the word . Believing and doing nothing about it will bring about judgment. It's very plain and clear in the Word. We cannot defy Christ's commands. I'm learning to love, be more tolerant, humble , try to walk in Holiness and understand only God is my portion , and nothing else. My plate is filled with my failures. I have no achievement or anything else to boast about. In fact by World standards I'm such a monumental failure that often I despise my existence . That being said , my hope is in the Lord Jesus. Following His ways , doing His will versus mine is what I am learning to do . I stopped going to churches which teach Believing is salvation doctrine. I have learned the hard way that to avoid obedience and the hard walk , this false doctrine was crafted . Millions of brothers are living in that deception. But I wish not to anymore . Jesus says in John 9:41 "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but since you say, 'We see,' your sin remains."
Now that He made me see my error , I have no excuse left to NOT obey . I falter each day as I pick up my cross daily and attempt to deny my ( carnal) flesh and follow the holy one, our Lord. I cry out to him. Often i weep in solitude . Honestly I even wish for cessation to occur , so that I can see his great glory .I now better understand what Paul meant when he said " But if we are to share Jesus' glory, we must also share his suffering." (Romans 8:17)

But Jesus' words come as soothing balm to my troubled soul
John 16:33
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Sorry friends , kind of digressed a bit from JLB's exceedingly important post . Loving is being Christ like . To love is to obey . To me walking in love is walking in the holy Spirit because Bible says God Is love
1 John 4:8
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
I wish to know God. I wish to have a relationship with God . I wish to be saved . I wish to have an eternal life. For all this to happen I know I have to OBEY. I know I have to learn to love..... Godly love , not as the world loves but as God loves.
Through this post and this platform, I shared my thoughts, my trials, my life, and my emotions and experiences with you dear brothers and sisters . One line which I remind myself daily and share with you "Lord let your Will be done, and not mine "

Blessings to all.
RS​

Last edited:
Excellent point JLB, amen . I lovingly call Bible the great story of God's LOVE and redemption. If we have not learned to love , I believe we are not true Christians. I also believe it's easier said than done (learn to love). But like you correctly point out that Jesus makes it abundantly clear in Luke 8: 21
What it simply means that those who hear the word and yet do not do it , Jesus has no relationship with them.
I was deceived by my church teachers for almost 13 years that salvation is merely by believing, nothing else needed. This is falsehood and not Christ's teaching which revolves around love, repentance, righteousness and obedience .... complete and comprehensive rejection of sin. I exhort you my brothers and sisters to be doers of the word . Believing and doing nothing about it will bring about judgment. It's very plain and clear in the Word. We cannot defy Christ's commands. I'm learning to love, be more tolerant, humble , try to walk in Holiness and understand only God is my portion , and nothing else. My plate is filled with my failures. I have no achievement or anything else to boast about. In fact by World standards I'm such a monumental failure that often I despise my existence . That being said , my hope is in the Lord Jesus. Following His ways , doing His will versus mine is what I am learning to do . I stopped going to churches which teach Believing is salvation doctrine. I have learned the hard way that to avoid obedience and the hard walk , this false doctrine was crafted . Millions of brothers are living in that deception. But I wish not to anymore . Jesus says in John 9:41 "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but since you say, 'We see,' your sin remains."
Now that He made me see my error , I have no excuse left to NOT obey . I falter each day as I pick up my cross daily and attempt to deny my ( carnal) flesh and follow the holy one, our Lord. I cry out to him. Often i weep in solitude . Honestly I even wish for cessation to occur , so that I can see his great glory .I now better understand what Paul meant when he said " But if we are to share Jesus' glory, we must also share his suffering." (Romans 8:17)

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Sorry friends , kind of digressed a bit from JLB's exceedingly important post . Loving is being Christ like . To love is to obey . To me walking in love is walking in the holy Spirit because Bible says God Is love
I wish to know God. I wish to have a relationship with God . I wish to be saved . I wish to have an eternal life. For all this to happen I know I have to OBEY. I know I have to learn to love..... Godly love , not as the world loves but as God loves.
Through this post and this platform, I shared my thoughts, my trials, my life, and my emotions and experiences with you dear brothers and sisters . One line which I remind myself daily and share with you "Lord let your Will be done, and not mine "

Blessings to all.
RS​

Thank you for sharing your heart with us brother.

You are loved, both by God, and by those who know you as a brother in Christ.

JLB

I also see an unmistable connection between love, obedience and eternal life.

Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
1 John 2:3-6

"Knowing Him" is the biblical definition of eternal life, which is found in John 17.

John connects eternal life with keeping His commandments, and loving Him, here and in John 14 and 17.

ME

Blessings to all.
RS​

Thank you for sharing this, your stance makes much more sense to me now. I only caution you not to fall into satan's trap of legalism, which nullifies the Power of the Cross that we all so desperately need ...

Thank you brother for your kind words.
Yes the trap of legalism is evil. Yet that is no excuse to not obey. Jesus is our role model. And He never did His will ... always that of the Father. His words, actions, and even his nourishment, came from doing God's will versus His own. What message does that contain for us? We have to (at least try to) do (as much as we can) God's will versus our own , should we wish to share in Christ's glory.
If legalism is a trap the greater trap is to NOT do God's will. Yes non-obedience, disobedience, is the greater trap set by satan who wishes us to do exactly what Adam and Eve did.
If we truly understand the heart of the Lord, His expectation from us, His followers , it's not ( just) Believing in Him. I believe it was obedience what Jesus was seeking most. What does faith without obedience even mean ? It cannot save anyone. James makes it abundantly clear in his Epistle ( second Chapter).
Why did Jesus say in Matthew 7: 21 only those children can enter who do the Will of God .
Why did Jesus say in Matthew 12: 48-50
Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?”
Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers.
For whoever does the WILL OF MY FATHER in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

We can see what Christ expects from us , which will also determine whether we will be saved at all or not . Handing out empty promises of salvation for believing is not going to save anyone. If I've understood any thing it's this simple truth.

Why did God call out in Matthew 3:17
"This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

WHAT was it that was pleasing God so much ? I believe the scripture reveals that it was Jesus' continuous obedience , His Will to do God's will over His own , even to the point of death , even death on the cross , that kind of EXTREME obedience which pleased God and prompted Him to proclaim to the world what He did about our Lord Jesus Christ. Wouldn't you my brothers and sisters want God to proclaim the same about YOU ?
That in you He is well pleased . Will mere faith help? I think not. It's obedience which is what God is looking for.
Let us examine the good Lord's words about the CRITICAL importance of doing God's will.

John 6:38 ►

For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.

John 4:34
My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.

John 12:49 ►
For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken.

Luke 22:42 ►
"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.

Friends in the name of legalism many churches and teachers are trying to undermine the vital importance of obedience and thereby they are negating the message of Bible. Obedience is not legalism . It just means you are doing what Jesus did so consistently. Let no one deceive the church anymore. Not matter who it was and who it is ....​

Last edited:
True. If ours is a narrow road, that means there is a right and a left way to turn aside. If 'easy believism' is one, legalism (self righteousness which can only result in self condemnation or lying to ourselves) is the other; both equally remove us from the Way.

This is a simple dichotomy, but not a false one. Many true dichotomies can be created.

Christ has primacy in all things! Like Peter, with our eyes on Him is how we proceed in Faith. (There is no such thing as stagnating in Faith)

True. If ours is a narrow road, that means there is a right and a left way to turn aside. If 'easy believism' is one, legalism (self righteousness which can only result in self condemnation or lying to ourselves) is the other; both equally remove us from the Way.

This is a simple dichotomy, but not a false one. Many true dichotomies can be created.

Christ has primacy in all things! Like Peter, with our eyes on Him is how we proceed in Faith. (There is no such thing as stagnating in Faith)

Yes.

I see it as lawlessness is on the left hand ditch, and legalism is on the right.

Jesus leads us in the way of righteousness, as we not looking to the left hand nor to the right.

ME

Amen

Brother, I wonder if either of these two concepts would fit what I hear as the central message of what you're saying, and possibly help you:

1) the whole burnt offering, in Moses' Law. While Jesus did fulfill all the requirements of all the sacrifices, there are other Truths hidden in these to be cleaned by us as we sojourn in this foreign land. With the whole burnt offering of consecration we get a foreshadowing, if you will a type of giving ourselves to God in our Spiritual walk. Of course we do have Romans 12 which addresses this simply, but Paul was drawing upon deep knowledge of the Law when he was able to follow his Anointing in writing it. There's some great stuff in this offering, (as well as the others) telling us more about not only our relationship to Him, but also His relationship to us; and from God's perspective.

2) monothelitism. That's a big word for a heresy involving the idea that Jesus had no will of His own, which would cause lots of problems including not being able to be tempted in all points like we are as well as removing any application and significance of the whole burnt offering from Jesus.
He was complete in both natures, human and Divine, complete with a human will; which He obviously conquered, even before being Baptized with the Holy Spirit, living that way for 30 years without sin!

I merely mention these ideas to you briefly, if you decide to study them further. I think there's good stuff for all of us to be found there ...

The whole burnt offering is certainly a picture of the type of Love God is zealous for from us!

Back