Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

This Is Not About Tithing

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
In Malachi, God said that to not give the tithe was to rob God of what was His.

This passage is a prophet telling the Israelites that they need to be following the Law and tithing.

It is used out of context when used with the New Testament church.

My complaint is not with giving 10%.
I personally didn't get that impression.

It is with using Malachi chapter 3.
They teach the prosperity gospel.
And they actually tell us if we don't give the church 10 %, then we are robbing God and are under a curse.
They use fear tactics to extract money.
That's called false doctrine and that makes them false teachers.
That's what bothers me.
I had forgotten the part about the curse. That does ramp it up a bit.

I personally didn't get that impression.

Let me give you the exact impression.
Once I understood giving, I changed the way I gave.
First off, I stopped using checks and only God and me know what I give.
I try my best to give generously at all times and I never keep track of what percentage that is.
I always put some money away every month so when a time comes to give to the poor, I am prepared, and this makes for a very cheerful giver.
I may not be doing this exactly right, but I am happier with the way I give now then ever before.

This passage is a prophet telling the Israelites that they need to be following the Law and tithing.

Maybe I miss understood your question. I thought you were comparing someone who gave a 10% tithe (as standed in the OT) which they could well afford, with someone who gave what they could and gave it not to the church but to their needy neighbor.
If this is what you were saying....then this is what I was answering. Comparing the person who gave by the OT tithe standard to the person who gave by the NT standard of giving by grace, what is in the heart and giving to one who is needy, even if it was not as the OT standard.

So under the OT standard God said the tithe was going to Him as a tithe of 10%.

In the NT, Jesus said, that when we give to others we are giving to Him.

In both cases we are giving to Him.

Hope that is clearer because I agree with you on tithing.

Maybe I miss understood your question. I thought you were comparing someone who gave a 10% tithe (as standed in the OT) which they could well afford, with someone who gave what they could and gave it not to the church but to their needy neighbor.
If this is what you were saying....then this is what I was answering. Comparing the person who gave by the OT tithe standard to the person who gave by the NT standard of giving by grace, what is in the heart and giving to one who is needy, even if it was not as the OT standard.

So under the OT standard God said the tithe was going to Him as a tithe of 10%.

In the NT, Jesus said, that when we give to others we are giving to Him.

In both cases we are giving to Him.

Hope that is clearer because I agree with you on tithing.

Thank you Deborah, I misunderstood you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back